UCLA Class of 2020 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)
doneonedone

New

UCLA Class of 2020

Post by doneonedone » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:40 pm

In on 1/11 and still waiting until March for scholarship info

proteinshake

Gold

Re: UCLA Class of 2020

Post by proteinshake » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:36 am

sup fam.

lazarzhr

New

Post by lazarzhr » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:57 am

Just found out today that I got one of the full scholarships! Excited to join the ranks in the fall!

doneonedone

New

Post by doneonedone » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:02 am

lazarzhr wrote:Just found out today that I got one of the full scholarships! Excited to join the ranks in the fall!

Daamn, congratulations! That must be awesome

chamyleon

New

Post by chamyleon » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:17 am

lazarzhr wrote:Just found out today that I got one of the full scholarships! Excited to join the ranks in the fall!
That's amazing! Did you apply for a scholarship when you submitted your application? I thought scholarship info didn't come out until March!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lazarzhr

New

Post by lazarzhr » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:05 pm

chamyleon wrote:
That's amazing! Did you apply for a scholarship when you submitted your application? I thought scholarship info didn't come out until March!
I applied for the "Distinguished Scholars" program which is sort of separate from the rest of the merit scholarships, it seems. I did a separate interview, etc. It's a binding E.D. program that they started this year!

chamyleon

New

Post by chamyleon » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:33 pm

lazarzhr wrote:
chamyleon wrote:
I applied for the "Distinguished Scholars" program which is sort of separate from the rest of the merit scholarships, it seems. I did a separate interview, etc. It's a binding E.D. program that they started this year!
Wow! Congrats again! I'm still waiting on scholarship info to come out in March. Haha.

PDX4343

Silver

Post by PDX4343 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:28 pm

Checking in. Has anyone heard anything about non-named scholarships yet?

sorence

Bronze

Post by sorence » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:02 pm

PDX4343 wrote:Checking in. Has anyone heard anything about non-named scholarships yet?
Not yet. I'm waiting with baited breath rn, UCLA is my top choice out of the schools I've been admitted to but $$$ is a huge unknown factor.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PDX4343

Silver

Post by PDX4343 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:08 am

Where are you all planning on living? I'm trying to find a one bedroom for me, my girlfriend, and our cats that's close-ish to campus and it looks like everything nice is $2k+.

sorence

Bronze

Post by sorence » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:07 pm

PDX4343 wrote:Where are you all planning on living? I'm trying to find a one bedroom for me, my girlfriend, and our cats that's close-ish to campus and it looks like everything nice is $2k+.
I'm no help as far as finding housing is concerned- planning on Weyburn. I talked to a few students at Admitted Students day and they said it's common for 1Ls (esp. those with families/partners/animals) to live further from campus and do the daily commute (they were speaking of living in Santa Monica, I think).

PDX4343

Silver

Post by PDX4343 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:04 pm

sorence wrote:
PDX4343 wrote:Where are you all planning on living? I'm trying to find a one bedroom for me, my girlfriend, and our cats that's close-ish to campus and it looks like everything nice is $2k+.
I'm no help as far as finding housing is concerned- planning on Weyburn. I talked to a few students at Admitted Students day and they said it's common for 1Ls (esp. those with families/partners/animals) to live further from campus and do the daily commute (they were speaking of living in Santa Monica, I think).
That's helpful, thanks. I'll probably end up doing something similar. I was hoping to do LA without a car for at least the first year, but not sure how realistic that is if I'm going to need to live further away from campus.

Scurvy Cur

New

Post by Scurvy Cur » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:08 pm

Checking in, got the call today. I guess I'll see what the financial situation looks like soon.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sorence

Bronze

Post by sorence » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:30 pm

PDX4343 wrote:
sorence wrote:
That's helpful, thanks. I'll probably end up doing something similar. I was hoping to do LA without a car for at least the first year, but not sure how realistic that is if I'm going to need to live further away from campus.
No problem! They actually seemed to stress it; I guess there's the misconception that you have to live super close/on campus because of LA traffic but they've found it doable with a 15-25 minute commute depending on time of day/exact location. Good luck finding something for you, your girlfriend, and your kitties!

PDX4343

Silver

Post by PDX4343 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:53 pm

sorence wrote:
PDX4343 wrote:
sorence wrote:
No problem! They actually seemed to stress it; I guess there's the misconception that you have to live super close/on campus because of LA traffic but they've found it doable with a 15-25 minute commute depending on time of day/exact location. Good luck finding something for you, your girlfriend, and your kitties!
Appreciate it! That's good to hear. Having two cats definitely makes the moving process a bit more complicated haha.

orangejuice23

New

Post by orangejuice23 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:26 am

Anyone know when the seat deposits are due?

Thanks!

HonestlyThough

Bronze

Post by HonestlyThough » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:07 pm

orangejuice23 wrote:Anyone know when the seat deposits are due?

Thanks!
First is due april 14; second is in june

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

HonestlyThough

Bronze

Post by HonestlyThough » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:10 pm

PDX4343 wrote:
sorence wrote:
PDX4343 wrote:
sorence wrote:
Appreciate it! That's good to hear. Having two cats definitely makes the moving process a bit more complicated haha.
Went to UCLA undergrad so might have some insight for you. The westwood apartment area is totally undergrad dominated so it's very loud until late hours and dirty. WW parties hard. It's also really expensive. I'd recommend what we call "south of wilshire" (exactly what it sounds like) or Brentwood for something thats cheaper and not very far. Santa Monica is awesome and fun, just farther from campus aka more of a traffic risk

HonestlyThough

Bronze

Post by HonestlyThough » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:11 pm

I got merit info in mid February but radio silence on need-based. Anyone heard anything?

PDX4343

Silver

Post by PDX4343 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:55 pm

HonestlyThough wrote:I got merit info in mid February but radio silence on need-based. Anyone heard anything?
Thanks for the housing tips, I'll definitely check those spots out. I got my need-based grant around the same time merit-based ones were coming out.

chamyleon

New

Post by chamyleon » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:53 am

HonestlyThough wrote:
PDX4343 wrote:
sorence wrote:
PDX4343 wrote:
sorence wrote:
Went to UCLA undergrad so might have some insight for you. The westwood apartment area is totally undergrad dominated so it's very loud until late hours and dirty. WW parties hard. It's also really expensive. I'd recommend what we call "south of wilshire" (exactly what it sounds like) or Brentwood for something thats cheaper and not very far. Santa Monica is awesome and fun, just farther from campus aka more of a traffic risk
Thanks for the housing advice! I'm super nervous about potentially finding a place to live. Would Weyburn and Hilgard be considered part of the "Westwood apartment" area? I'm not a big fan of loud noises around my home.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sorence

Bronze

Post by sorence » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:57 pm

chamyleon wrote:
HonestlyThough wrote:
PDX4343 wrote:
sorence wrote:
PDX4343 wrote:
sorence wrote:
Thanks for the housing advice! I'm super nervous about potentially finding a place to live. Would Weyburn and Hilgard be considered part of the "Westwood apartment" area? I'm not a big fan of loud noises around my home.
I can't directly answer, but referring back to the student panel I talked to: a guy said he lived in the "Westwood area" his 1L year ad hated it when the undergrads would yell at midnight during finals week (apparently a tradition?) but enjoyed his time in Weyburn. I inferred that he didn't hear them there/if he did, it was muted enough to not bother him.

HonestlyThough

Bronze

Post by HonestlyThough » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:19 pm

I can't directly answer, but referring back to the student panel I talked to: a guy said he lived in the "Westwood area" his 1L year ad hated it when the undergrads would yell at midnight during finals week (apparently a tradition?) but enjoyed his time in Weyburn. I inferred that he didn't hear them there/if he did, it was muted enough to not bother him.

Weyburn and Hilgard? No. Pretty quiet over there. Plus, closer to trader joes.
The loud undergrad area is the area where frats are. Basically everything bounded by Gayley, Veteran, and Weyburn

Gitaroo_Dude

Silver

Post by Gitaroo_Dude » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:43 pm

Anyone attend the reception in SF last night? I was pleasantly surprised how many alumni came out despite the weather.

lazarzhr

New

Post by lazarzhr » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:23 am

Anyone know when class registration happens, or how I might get an idea of what my schedule will look like? I'm following a few leads for part time jobs and would love to know what sort of hours my classes will look like.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”