UCLA Class of 2020

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)
User avatar
Gitaroo_Dude
Posts: 518
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:06 pm

Re: UCLA Class of 2020

Postby Gitaroo_Dude » Fri May 26, 2017 1:40 pm

Anyone have an idea of when we need to start selecting a roommate? I got a 2/2 in Weyburn, but didn't see anything about the selection process.

sorence wrote:
Gitaroo_Dude wrote:Just a head's up, housing offers are going out for those of us on the guaranteed housing list (and possibly for those not on it too).


Yeah, I just got mine. A part of me is v sad to turn it down. I hope y'all have a blast at UCLA this fall!! :)


Thanks! Woulda been fun to attend UCLA with another #Squad member, but can't look back when the time comes to evolve into an NYU admit.

Sadnessandmisfortune
Posts: 72
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:59 pm

Re: UCLA Class of 2020

Postby Sadnessandmisfortune » Sat May 27, 2017 10:51 am

Gitaroo_Dude wrote:Anyone have an idea of when we need to start selecting a roommate? I got a 2/2 in Weyburn, but didn't see anything about the selection process.

sorence wrote:
Gitaroo_Dude wrote:Just a head's up, housing offers are going out for those of us on the guaranteed housing list (and possibly for those not on it too).


Yeah, I just got mine. A part of me is v sad to turn it down. I hope y'all have a blast at UCLA this fall!! :)


Thanks! Woulda been fun to attend UCLA with another #Squad member, but can't look back when the time comes to evolve into an NYU admit.


My guess is look for one now and if you don't request someone, you will be randomly assigned someone based on your profile

ykstll
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:21 pm

Re: UCLA Class of 2020

Postby ykstll » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:27 am

If anyone is looking for a roommate, holler! I somehow got placed on the lottery list so I need to start looking for people to live with :)

User avatar
Gitaroo_Dude
Posts: 518
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:06 pm

Re: UCLA Class of 2020

Postby Gitaroo_Dude » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:26 pm

ykstll wrote:If anyone is looking for a roommate, holler! I somehow got placed on the lottery list so I need to start looking for people to live with :)


Does that mean you're in at Weyburn/Hilgard, or are on the waiting list there?

ykstll
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:21 pm

Re: UCLA Class of 2020

Postby ykstll » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:49 am

Gitaroo_Dude wrote:
ykstll wrote:If anyone is looking for a roommate, holler! I somehow got placed on the lottery list so I need to start looking for people to live with :)


Does that mean you're in at Weyburn/Hilgard, or are on the waiting list there?


Unfortunately it doesn't mean that - After talking with Dean S. he suggested I look housing elsewhere (aka off-campus). I have to double check whether I could be taken off the lottery list/waiting list if I were to find a roommate with secured housing on campus (who requests for me).

Not sure though.... and housing is impossible to get in contact with.

User avatar
funesmemorious
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun May 17, 2015 10:51 am

Re: UCLA Class of 2020

Postby funesmemorious » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:50 am

What's everybody doing for health insurance? I calculated ~10k/yr to insure myself and my spouse through UCLA (dependent premium fees: http://bit.ly/2rLz62r). Am I looking at this right? I mean, it's great insurance, but damn.

Sadnessandmisfortune
Posts: 72
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:59 pm

Re: UCLA Class of 2020

Postby Sadnessandmisfortune » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:16 pm

ykstll wrote: Not sure though.... and housing is impossible to get in contact with.


Have you already emailed the Housing Office? I've emailed them twice and both times they responded within one business day :?

funesmemorious wrote:What's everybody doing for health insurance? I calculated ~10k/yr to insure myself and my spouse through UCLA (dependent premium fees: http://bit.ly/2rLz62r). Am I looking at this right? I mean, it's great insurance, but damn.


Going off of the Partner premium fees, that looks about right, though I think it's probably going to be a little upwards or 11k. Thankfully I'm a CA resident under the age of 26, so I'll be on my mom's insurance. Just waiting for the UC SHIP Waiver application to open.

User avatar
Gitaroo_Dude
Posts: 518
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:06 pm

Re: UCLA Class of 2020

Postby Gitaroo_Dude » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:30 pm

BTW, if anyone is looking for a male roommate for Weyburn, hmu. Would prefer a TLSer to a rando.

ykstll
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:21 pm

Re: UCLA Class of 2020

Postby ykstll » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:54 am

Quick question guys! Do any of you know the fine print behind the second deposit coming up (aka is it binding yet?)

ykstll
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:21 pm

Re: UCLA Class of 2020

Postby ykstll » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:54 am

Gitaroo_Dude wrote:BTW, if anyone is looking for a male roommate for Weyburn, hmu. Would prefer a TLSer to a rando.


If someone has guaranteed housing at mixing graduate housing and is on the hunt for a room mate, pm me please!

karkkimies
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:41 pm

Re: UCLA Class of 2020

Postby karkkimies » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:53 pm

funesmemorious wrote:Looks like I'll be in University Village. Still waiting on the offer, though; Housing Dept says that folks with guaranteed housing may receive offers as early as next week.


Have you heard any news about this yet? I'm in the same boat, supposedly have a guaranteed spot in University Village, but haven't heard anything lately. Starting to get antsy as my moving date approaches...

Looking forward to meeting you all in August!

User avatar
funesmemorious
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun May 17, 2015 10:51 am

Re: UCLA Class of 2020

Postby funesmemorious » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:14 pm

karkkimies wrote:Have you heard any news about this yet? I'm in the same boat, supposedly have a guaranteed spot in University Village, but haven't heard anything lately. Starting to get antsy as my moving date approaches...


I haven't heard anything yet, but I'm not too worried. The first round of housing offers (which includes grad students with guaranteed spots) lasts until early July.

If there are less than two weeks until your requested moving date, though, and Housing hasn't contacted you, then you should call them.

karkkimies
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:41 pm

Re: UCLA Class of 2020

Postby karkkimies » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:45 pm

funesmemorious wrote:
karkkimies wrote:Have you heard any news about this yet? I'm in the same boat, supposedly have a guaranteed spot in University Village, but haven't heard anything lately. Starting to get antsy as my moving date approaches...


I haven't heard anything yet, but I'm not too worried. The first round of housing offers (which includes grad students with guaranteed spots) lasts until early July.

If there are less than two weeks until your requested moving date, though, and Housing hasn't contacted you, then you should call them.


I guess I should have waited a few more hours before posting that... I Just got the housing offer a little bit ago.

User avatar
guynourmin
Posts: 3426
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:42 pm

Re: UCLA Class of 2020

Postby guynourmin » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:03 pm

Please check into the destinations thread if you haven't yet. thanks!

87mm
Posts: 195
Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:38 am

Re: UCLA Class of 2020

Postby 87mm » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:33 am

Rising 1L. Feel free to PM about any questions etc...

WRT Weyburn, seemed to fill up relatively fast. If you luck out and get Paseo, you'll likely have a more quiet room because the walls are concrete. The other buildings are bigger (with better furniture) but you can hear your neighbors line dance at 3am.

For those with spouses or are in a relationship, I believe there are off campus housing units that UCLA controls as long as you can show you live together for at least a year. it is ~1500-1800/month for 2 bedrooms and it isnt terribly far from campus.

Dont know much about Hilgard. Apparently people live there... almost everyone will be at Weyburn though.

General advice:
Don't slack off in your Lawyering Skills course. It is the most important law school course during 1L for practice along with Civpro and Contracts. It is also a 5 credit course that gets added to your Spring semester grades and can swing your GPA wildly.

Try not to stress much before school begins. I would not recommend reading all the supplements before class begins. It may help some people (I know a few who did) but every professor varies wildly with what they teach, how they teach, and what they believe is the key takeaway. One supplement for a class was 90% worthless because our prof didn't cover any of it. Relax this summer because you'll be plenty busy in 2 months. If you HAVE to do something, consider updating your resume and cover letters.

lazarzhr
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:43 pm

Re: UCLA Class of 2020

Postby lazarzhr » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:50 am

A few questions about the gym/rec fees/membership system for grad students. Anyone have any insight? It looks like there's a grad student gym, but that's not included in tuition & fees already, correct? Is that where most grad students work out, or are there better options on campus? Also, I'd love for my boyfriend to be able to come to this gym as well -- is that an option at all in the membership system, or would I need to purchase a guest pass each time?

87mm
Posts: 195
Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:38 am

Re: UCLA Class of 2020

Postby 87mm » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:40 am

lazarzhr wrote:A few questions about the gym/rec fees/membership system for grad students. Anyone have any insight? It looks like there's a grad student gym, but that's not included in tuition & fees already, correct? Is that where most grad students work out, or are there better options on campus? Also, I'd love for my boyfriend to be able to come to this gym as well -- is that an option at all in the membership system, or would I need to purchase a guest pass each time?


It is included I believe. I use it, but don't recall paying extra. That being said, right now the grad gym by weyburn is being renovated. We have to pay like 50 bucks a year for the LA fitness. You may have to contact the recreation services people about it.

The grad gym is down the road from weyburn, far from the law school. But still convenient if you live on campus.

The campus gym is big but it is packed when you will likely exercise (after class). You could try to go during lunch like a couple do but its tough.

I don't believe you can bring guests into the gym. But I habe never tried. The LA fitness isn't well run so he could just walk in and start working out without being noticed....

lazarzhr
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:43 pm

Re: UCLA Class of 2020

Postby lazarzhr » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:48 am

87mm wrote:
lazarzhr wrote:A few questions about the gym/rec fees/membership system for grad students. Anyone have any insight? It looks like there's a grad student gym, but that's not included in tuition & fees already, correct? Is that where most grad students work out, or are there better options on campus? Also, I'd love for my boyfriend to be able to come to this gym as well -- is that an option at all in the membership system, or would I need to purchase a guest pass each time?


It is included I believe. I use it, but don't recall paying extra. That being said, right now the grad gym by weyburn is being renovated. We have to pay like 50 bucks a year for the LA fitness. You may have to contact the recreation services people about it.

The grad gym is down the road from weyburn, far from the law school. But still convenient if you live on campus.

The campus gym is big but it is packed when you will likely exercise (after class). You could try to go during lunch like a couple do but its tough.

I don't believe you can bring guests into the gym. But I habe never tried. The LA fitness isn't well run so he could just walk in and start working out without being noticed....


Thanks for all the helpful info!!!

User avatar
Gitaroo_Dude
Posts: 518
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:06 pm

Re: UCLA Class of 2020

Postby Gitaroo_Dude » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:35 pm

Did anyone receive the list of books for UCLA Law's Community Read Forum yet?

LawIsLife
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:04 am

Re: UCLA Class of 2020

Postby LawIsLife » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:47 pm

Rising 2L willing to answer any questions/concerns any of you may have! Have at it!

User avatar
the_specialist
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:04 pm

Re: UCLA Class of 2020

Postby the_specialist » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:53 pm

LawIsLife wrote:Rising 2L willing to answer any questions/concerns any of you may have! Have at it!


As someone commuting to campus from Koreatown, do 1Ls have access to lockers? It'd be great to not have to bring everything with me, especially if I'm taking the bus, biking, or riding a motorcycle. Alternatively, do you know anything about lockers in Wooden (asking for the same reasons). I'd love to not have to schluck my basketball shoes / gym clothes to and from campus. Thanks in advance for any advice!

LawIsLife
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:04 am

Re: UCLA Class of 2020

Postby LawIsLife » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:06 pm

the_specialist wrote:
LawIsLife wrote:Rising 2L willing to answer any questions/concerns any of you may have! Have at it!


As someone commuting to campus from Koreatown, do 1Ls have access to lockers? It'd be great to not have to bring everything with me, especially if I'm taking the bus, biking, or riding a motorcycle. Alternatively, do you know anything about lockers in Wooden (asking for the same reasons). I'd love to not have to schluck my basketball shoes / gym clothes to and from campus. Thanks in advance for any advice!


As far as lockers, you will have an assigned locker in the law school building. For Wooden, I know there is a locker room that you can use, however I am unsure of whether you can permanently leave your stuff there. You could always leave your basketball shoes in your law school locker and just carry it from the law school to Wooden.

User avatar
Gitaroo_Dude
Posts: 518
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:06 pm

Re: UCLA Class of 2020

Postby Gitaroo_Dude » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:01 pm

LawIsLife wrote:Rising 2L willing to answer any questions/concerns any of you may have! Have at it!


Any good hiking trails close to campus?

butterfly333
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:06 pm

Re: UCLA Class of 2020

Postby butterfly333 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:13 am

Gitaroo_Dude wrote:
LawIsLife wrote:Rising 2L willing to answer any questions/concerns any of you may have! Have at it!


Any good hiking trails close to campus?


+1! I plan to hike as often as possible to avoid burn out!

LawIsLife
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:04 am

Re: UCLA Class of 2020

Postby LawIsLife » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:32 pm

butterfly333 wrote:
Gitaroo_Dude wrote:
LawIsLife wrote:Rising 2L willing to answer any questions/concerns any of you may have! Have at it!


Any good hiking trails close to campus?


+1! I plan to hike as often as possible to avoid burn out!


TBH, I'm not entirely sure. I had a car, so I would hike Runyon, Griffith Park trails, and Malibu creek.


Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest