UCLA Class of 2020 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)
PDX4343

Silver

Re: UCLA Class of 2020

Post by PDX4343 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:06 am

lazarzhr wrote:Anyone know when class registration happens, or how I might get an idea of what my schedule will look like? I'm following a few leads for part time jobs and would love to know what sort of hours my classes will look like.
Not sure about when this year's class schedule will come out. I did see a message on the admitted students site for the class of 2019 that said that classes would be spread out, Monday through Friday, with some time between classes to ensure they'd be able to go to office hours, etc. I'm assuming they'll follow a similar strategy this year and have our classes fairly spread out throughout the week. Might make it hard to have a part-time job unfortunately.

ray.bee

Bronze

Post by ray.bee » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:49 pm

lazarzhr wrote:Anyone know when class registration happens, or how I might get an idea of what my schedule will look like? I'm following a few leads for part time jobs and would love to know what sort of hours my classes will look like.
Look into the ABA regulations about working. I think 1L you can only work something like 10 hours :o

sorence

Bronze

Post by sorence » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:38 pm

ray.bee wrote:
Look into the ABA regulations about working. I think 1L you can only work something like 10 hours :o
I believe it's up to 20 but I could be wrong :)

PDX4343

Silver

Post by PDX4343 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:50 pm

sorence wrote:
ray.bee wrote:
I believe it's up to 20 but I could be wrong :)
You're right, it's 20 a week.

butterfly333

New

Post by butterfly333 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:06 pm

Checking in! I just got the call and am now hoping for some money! I really want to go to UCLA but USC gave me so much money that it will be hard to compete (even with lower COA).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Motionsinlemons

New

Post by Motionsinlemons » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:44 am

Recently committed!! Excited to join y'all in the fall ☺️

alora

New

Post by alora » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:13 am

this is like 5 days late, but i'm a lurking UCLA 1L and was wondering the same thing right up until about a week before orientation so i wanted to help you guys out. you'll be split up into 1 of (probably) 8 sections, classes will happen 5 days a week. you don't choose which section you're in or what your schedule is, it's all pre-planned for you.

it'll probably be a while before there's any solid info for you guys (like i said, they didn't tell us our sections until about a week before school actually started), but you can keep an eye on this site: https://curriculum.law.ucla.edu/Guide/ScheduleFirstYear, eventually it'll switch from our 1L schedule to yours, probably in a few months. i have heard of someone asking to be placed in a specific section to accommodate their job schedule, so once that site updates you could probably ask before you're given your official assignment if that's a concern

lazarzhr

New

Post by lazarzhr » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:28 pm

alora wrote:
this is like 5 days late, but i'm a lurking UCLA 1L and was wondering the same thing right up until about a week before orientation so i wanted to help you guys out. you'll be split up into 1 of (probably) 8 sections, classes will happen 5 days a week. you don't choose which section you're in or what your schedule is, it's all pre-planned for you.

it'll probably be a while before there's any solid info for you guys (like i said, they didn't tell us our sections until about a week before school actually started), but you can keep an eye on this site: https://curriculum.law.ucla.edu/Guide/ScheduleFirstYear, eventually it'll switch from our 1L schedule to yours, probably in a few months. i have heard of someone asking to be placed in a specific section to accommodate their job schedule, so once that site updates you could probably ask before you're given your official assignment if that's a concern
Thanks for your help!

butterfly333

New

Post by butterfly333 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:46 pm

How/when did people hear about scholarships? I just got in on Monday but am really hoping for money so that I do not feel as guilty turning down similar schools that gave me a lot. :(

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Scurvy Cur

New

Post by Scurvy Cur » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:00 pm

butterfly333 wrote:How/when did people hear about scholarships? I just got in on Monday but am really hoping for money so that I do not feel as guilty turning down similar schools that gave me a lot. :(
I think the general consensus has been that it's fine to email dean Schwartz and ask for info on where you stand so that you can make some important decisions, etc.

ChewableBeast

New

Post by ChewableBeast » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:56 pm

SO excited.... is anyone else coming to campus april 9th?

calpolisci2016

Bronze

Post by calpolisci2016 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:45 pm

Anyone hear back from the achievement fellowship?

Itiswritten

New

Post by Itiswritten » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:17 pm

Hey all! Congratulations! I am a current UCLA 1L and greatly look forward to meeting you in the fall. You all made a great choice and should be proud. Feel free to reach out and message me if you have any questions.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

butterfly333

New

Post by butterfly333 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:26 pm

So I emailed Dean Schwartz about money (preemptively). He responded asking for my other offers. And I just got my offer from UCLA and while I got a good amount, it will still result in a higher COA than USC. THoughts on trying to further negotiate? Or is that not a good idea?
Even just a little more would assuage guilt if I choose UCLA over the other.

lawboundsomeday

New

Post by lawboundsomeday » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:55 am

butterfly333 wrote:So I emailed Dean Schwartz about money (preemptively). He responded asking for my other offers. And I just got my offer from UCLA and while I got a good amount, it will still result in a higher COA than USC. THoughts on trying to further negotiate? Or is that not a good idea?
How much more $$ is UCLA for you? My sense is UCLA doesn't usually meet the COA of USC -- just like Berkeley doesn't usually meet the COA of UCLA. If it's like 30K per year difference, I'd go to the cheaper one. But for 5 or 10 k a year, I would sure pick UCLA. Just my .02.

butterfly333

New

Post by butterfly333 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:45 am

lawboundsomeday wrote:
butterfly333 wrote:So I emailed Dean Schwartz about money (preemptively). He responded asking for my other offers. And I just got my offer from UCLA and while I got a good amount, it will still result in a higher COA than USC. THoughts on trying to further negotiate? Or is that not a good idea?
How much more $$ is UCLA for you? My sense is UCLA doesn't usually meet the COA of USC -- just like Berkeley doesn't usually meet the COA of UCLA. If it's like 30K per year difference, I'd go to the cheaper one. But for 5 or 10 k a year, I would sure pick UCLA. Just my .02.
It would be about an 11k a year difference if you believe the increase in tuition estimates UCLA provides.
I am mostly just wondering if people think it is even a good idea to ask for more?

Sadnessandmisfortune

New

Post by Sadnessandmisfortune » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:43 pm

butterfly333 wrote:
lawboundsomeday wrote:
It would be about an 11k a year difference if you believe the increase in tuition estimates UCLA provides.
I am mostly just wondering if people think it is even a good idea to ask for more?

I actually think UCLA comes close to matching USC. USC gave me 85% tuition and that got UCLA to increase to ~77% tuition. The different ended up being 5k, and since UCLA health insurance is 4k on the provisional award letter, and I have CA insurance, I think I can get it waved and have my cost be very close to USC (35K/yr). But I'm also in state so I don't know how it'll work out if you're not.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

butterfly333

New

Post by butterfly333 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:12 pm

Sadnessandmisfortune wrote:
butterfly333 wrote:
lawboundsomeday wrote:

I actually think UCLA comes close to matching USC. USC gave me 85% tuition and that got UCLA to increase to ~77% tuition. The different ended up being 5k, and since UCLA health insurance is 4k on the provisional award letter, and I have CA insurance, I think I can get it waved and have my cost be very close to USC (35K/yr). But I'm also in state so I don't know how it'll work out if you're not.
I guess my biggest question is, is it okay to ask for a reconsideration if I already told them my other offers? Like I emailed Dean Schwartz before ever hearing about money because that was the consensus about what to do.

utnyc44

New

Post by utnyc44 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:00 pm

I know this was discussed a little bit, but do yall know anything about what people do for housing? Do most people live in Weyburn/Hilgard or find apartments?

It seems like there are some similarly priced apartment options nearby-ish (but that would involve having roommates). I'm worried about missing out on social stuff that's happening in the grad clusters, but maybe that isn't really a thing.

sorence

Bronze

Post by sorence » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:00 pm

utnyc44 wrote:I know this was discussed a little bit, but do yall know anything about what people do for housing? Do most people live in Weyburn/Hilgard or find apartments?

It seems like there are some similarly priced apartment options nearby-ish (but that would involve having roommates). I'm worried about missing out on social stuff that's happening in the grad clusters, but maybe that isn't really a thing.
I've submitted my Weyburn application already. I think it'll work the best for me. I've moved every year for the past 5 and have had a car; now I'll hopefully get a room I love (hoping for a single) that I'll stay in for all three years barring any unseen changes in my plans. Since I'll be so close to campus, I'll cut the expense of my car (which is breaking down slowly but surely anyways) which will save me $$$. Westwood has great grocery options nearby- I already clocked TJs in at a 10 minute walk from the Weyburn complex so I'm sold.

I think that many live on campus, many live off. Can't really jump to a "most" conclusion there, but you won't be alone with whatever option you choose. :)

NotAGolfer

Silver

Post by NotAGolfer » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:33 pm

Anyone know if the 1st deposit is binding? From what I can tell it's not, but I want to make sure I didn't miss anything

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

butterfly333

New

Post by butterfly333 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:21 pm

Just deposited!!

utnyc44

New

Post by utnyc44 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:09 am

sorence wrote:
utnyc44 wrote:I know this was discussed a little bit, but do yall know anything about what people do for housing? Do most people live in Weyburn/Hilgard or find apartments?

I've submitted my Weyburn application already. I think it'll work the best for me. I've moved every year for the past 5 and have had a car; now I'll hopefully get a room I love (hoping for a single) that I'll stay in for all three years barring any unseen changes in my plans. Since I'll be so close to campus, I'll cut the expense of my car (which is breaking down slowly but surely anyways) which will save me $$$. Westwood has great grocery options nearby- I already clocked TJs in at a 10 minute walk from the Weyburn complex so I'm sold.

I think that many live on campus, many live off. Can't really jump to a "most" conclusion there, but you won't be alone with whatever option you choose. :)
Thanks!

sorence

Bronze

Post by sorence » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:02 pm

butterfly333 wrote:Just deposited!!
Congrats! I *know* I'm going to, but for some reason my brain is saying, "wait until Friday." :lol: I'll be there with you soon!

Sadnessandmisfortune

New

Post by Sadnessandmisfortune » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:36 pm

Anyone know what the turnaround time is for housing? Submitted my app a few days ago, but also managed to get myself on the guaranteed housing list.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”