WUSTL Class of 2020 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)
njdevils327

Bronze

Re: WUSTL Class of 2020

Post by njdevils327 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:28 pm

Put in my seat deposit yesterday!!! (had an extension till the 15th)

Really excited

Kopetz

Bronze

Post by Kopetz » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:08 pm

Checking in. Moving from DC and looking at the cost of rent in STL has me feeling pretty good.

njdevils327

Bronze

Post by njdevils327 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:44 pm

Where is everyone planning on living? I was thinking about starting to look in Delmar Loop and Central West End and just wanted to get an idea of where other people thought they might be ending up

Scurvy Cur

New

Post by Scurvy Cur » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:31 pm

I really liked CWE when I visited, but I'm checking out other neighborhoods as well.

njdevils2626

Silver

Post by njdevils2626 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:39 pm

njdevils327 wrote:Where is everyone planning on living? I was thinking about starting to look in Delmar Loop and Central West End and just wanted to get an idea of where other people thought they might be ending up
I feel a little shitty about graduating right before I was finally going to be joined by another Devils fan.

As for places to live:

- The Loop is cool and has lots of things to do and places to eat. TONS of undergrads live there, they're everywhere.

- The CWE is nicer and also has lots to do, but is pricier. Lots of law (and other grad) students live there, as well as most young professionals. Doctors and nurses live all over the CWE because the hospital is right there.

- Right in the middle of the CWE and the Loop is Debaliviere Place, which is actually my favorite location. Metro is right there for easy access when you want to drink downtown, 10 minute walk to either the Loop or CWE. Costs are more in line with the Loop rather than CWE and lots of law (and other grad) students live there.

That's basically your rundown of nearby options

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

njdevils327

Bronze

Post by njdevils327 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:05 pm

njdevils2626 wrote:
njdevils327 wrote:Where is everyone planning on living? I was thinking about starting to look in Delmar Loop and Central West End and just wanted to get an idea of where other people thought they might be ending up
I feel a little shitty about graduating right before I was finally going to be joined by another Devils fan.

As for places to live:

- The Loop is cool and has lots of things to do and places to eat. TONS of undergrads live there, they're everywhere.

- The CWE is nicer and also has lots to do, but is pricier. Lots of law (and other grad) students live there, as well as most young professionals. Doctors and nurses live all over the CWE because the hospital is right there.

- Right in the middle of the CWE and the Loop is Debaliviere Place, which is actually my favorite location. Metro is right there for easy access when you want to drink downtown, 10 minute walk to either the Loop or CWE. Costs are more in line with the Loop rather than CWE and lots of law (and other grad) students live there.

That's basically your rundown of nearby options
Get your foot in the door at a big law firm and then hook a fellow Devils fan up in three years, thx. Also thanks for the info on living locations then. I'll look into Debaliviere

tsujimoto74

Bronze

Post by tsujimoto74 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:12 pm

Hey Co2020! Welcome to WashU! I'm a rising 2L, and my roommate's graduating this year, so I'm looking for a new one. I'm sure a bunch of you are looking for apartments (or will be soon), so I figured I'd give this a go.

The apartment:
-Is big
-2 BR, 1.5 baths. Also has a nice office nook.
-Has a washer, dryer, dishwasher, gas fireplace, and central heat and AC
-Debaliviere area, just north of the park. About a 5 minute walk from the train. <10 minute drive to campus.
-Basement storage
-Gated parking in the back
-Comes with awesome cat (provided by me)

The prospective roommate (i.e., me):
-28y.o., M
-Pretty clean, but not fastidious
-Cooks
-Watches a lot of hockey
-Knows all the places you can get bottomless brunch at in St. Louis

PM me if you think you might be interested or have questions.

njdevils327

Bronze

Post by njdevils327 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:32 am

tsujimoto74 wrote:Hey Co2020! Welcome to WashU! I'm a rising 2L, and my roommate's graduating this year, so I'm looking for a new one. I'm sure a bunch of you are looking for apartments (or will be soon), so I figured I'd give this a go.

The apartment:
-Is big
-Debaliviere area, just north of the park. About a 5 minute walk from the train. <10 minute drive to campus.
-Basement storage

-28y.o., M
-Cooks
-Watches a lot of hockey

You had me until cat. I'm allergic (damn)

bitter_melon

Bronze

Post by bitter_melon » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:26 am

Kind of an odd question, but are there students who are into climbing? I see that there are a few gyms within reach of campus, wondering if any law students have experience with that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

njdevils2626

Silver

Post by njdevils2626 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:24 pm

njdevils327 wrote:
tsujimoto74 wrote:Hey Co2020! Welcome to WashU! I'm a rising 2L, and my roommate's graduating this year, so I'm looking for a new one. I'm sure a bunch of you are looking for apartments (or will be soon), so I figured I'd give this a go.

The apartment:
-Is big
-Basement storage

-28y.o., M
-Cooks
-Watches a lot of hockey

That's unfortunate, I can vouch for his roommate quality and general acceptance of Devils fandom

njdevils327

Bronze

Post by njdevils327 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:45 pm

Dang what an unfortunate series of events

tsujimoto74

Bronze

Post by tsujimoto74 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:38 am

njdevils2626 wrote:
njdevils327 wrote:

The apartment:
-Is big
-Basement storage

-28y.o., M
-Cooks
-Watches a lot of hockey

That's unfortunate, I can vouch for his roommate quality and general acceptance of Devils fandom
*Begrudging acceptance.

For real, anyone who's not a Maple Leafs fan is cool by me.

JD_Kingfish

Bronze

Post by JD_Kingfish » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:21 pm

I'm officially attending wash u. Can't wait to meet all of you this fall (late summer).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

haley12

Silver

Post by haley12 » Mon May 01, 2017 10:21 am

Loved CWE! Checked out the loop but it's a little grunge for me. With those beautiful midwestern rent prices, I'm gonna take my chance to live in the nice part of the city :lol:

ChambanaMan

New

Post by ChambanaMan » Mon May 01, 2017 11:10 am

I'm gonna be living 45 mins away with my fiancee. Kinda feel like it's gonna stop me from making friends, but it'll also save me that COL money. And I'll have time to listen to Pod Save America during my commute, so I'd say its a win.

waldorf

Gold

Post by waldorf » Mon May 01, 2017 11:22 am

CWE! Cash me at Brennan's Cigar Bar how bout dah

JD_Kingfish

Bronze

Post by JD_Kingfish » Mon May 01, 2017 11:33 am

I'll be in CWE. Wanna be close to that candied bacon at BBQ Saloon

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bitter_melon

Bronze

Post by bitter_melon » Mon May 01, 2017 4:52 pm

Curious as to what people are budgeting for expenses and how they're breaking it down. I'm trying to figure out if my savings will be enough to live on.

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Mon May 01, 2017 10:33 pm

ChambanaMan wrote:I'm gonna be living 45 mins away with my fiancee. Kinda feel like it's gonna stop me from making friends, but it'll also save me that COL money. And I'll have time to listen to Pod Save America during my commute, so I'd say its a win.
Where is that? I live in/am from stl

ChambanaMan

New

Post by ChambanaMan » Mon May 01, 2017 11:24 pm

carsondalywashere wrote:
ChambanaMan wrote:I'm gonna be living 45 mins away with my fiancee. Kinda feel like it's gonna stop me from making friends, but it'll also save me that COL money. And I'll have time to listen to Pod Save America during my commute, so I'd say its a win.
Where is that? I live in/am from stl
I'll be in Lebanon, IL.

JD_Kingfish

Bronze

Post by JD_Kingfish » Mon May 08, 2017 1:26 pm

Anybody have any opinions on living downtown? The rents seem too good to be true.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

acr

Silver

Post by acr » Mon May 08, 2017 1:31 pm

JD_Kingfish wrote:Anybody have any opinions on living downtown? The rents seem too good to be true.
Not really a good idea, IMO. St. Louis downtown is not very exciting, and kind of dangerous. Most of the muggings I've heard of took place downtown. Downtown really empties out after 5 or 6 on week nights unless there's a Cardinals game or festival or something. Other than that, there really isn't much to see or do. The commute to the school will also be worse. By other cities' standards the commute wouldn't be terrible, but would probably be a minor annoyance and inconvenience during 1L. Plus there are very few 1L social events that will take place downtown, which will be inconvenient if you want to hang out with people. With all the other great options in STL (Central West End, Soulard, the Grove, the Loop, etc.) it just doesn't make sense to live downtown.

JD_Kingfish

Bronze

Post by JD_Kingfish » Mon May 08, 2017 1:36 pm

acr wrote:
JD_Kingfish wrote:Anybody have any opinions on living downtown? The rents seem too good to be true.
Not really a good idea, IMO. St. Louis downtown is not very exciting, and kind of dangerous. Most of the muggings I've heard of took place downtown. Downtown really empties out after 5 or 6 on week nights unless there's a Cardinals game or festival or something. Other than that, there really isn't much to see or do. The commute to the school will also be worse. By other cities' standards the commute wouldn't be terrible, but would probably be a minor annoyance and inconvenience during 1L. Plus there are very few 1L social events that will take place downtown, which will be inconvenient if you want to hang out with people. With all the other great options in STL (Central West End, Soulard, the Grove, the Loop, etc.) it just doesn't make sense to live downtown.
Sweet, thanks for the info.

bitter_melon

Bronze

Post by bitter_melon » Mon May 08, 2017 1:58 pm

Are the city/campus bikeable?

tsujimoto74

Bronze

Post by tsujimoto74 » Mon May 08, 2017 6:55 pm

bitter_melon wrote:Are the city/campus bikeable?
Campus -- yes, though I can't imagine any reason you'd need to bike around there much. All the places you have any real reason to go to are within a 2 minute walk of the law school (B-school, which houses some law classes and a Starbucks, and the gym).

City -- ish. I've done it, but it's not the greatest. There is a lot of stuff within biking distance, and the landscape isn't too hilly, so it's mostly easy riding in that regard. However, there aren't many dedicated cycling lanes, and the drivers here are kind of nuts. A lot of St. Louis drivers seem to do whatever they want without regard for courtesy or rules of the road. For example, one thing I see frequently is cars just stopping all of a sudden in the middle of the street and standing there for a few minutes while picking up or dropping off someone. Don't bother to pull off to the side or into a driveway, or even turn on their flashers, just stop in the middle of traffic. If you can cope with bad drivers and the lack of bike lanes, it's fine, though.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”