HA1L THE CLASS OF 2020 [[Michigan]]

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

We're headed to Hogwarts, so what's your house?

Gryffindor
5
11%
Hufflepuff
10
23%
Ravenclaw
12
27%
Slytherin
9
20%
Regardless of what the quiz says, I'm a muggle, tbh.
8
18%
 
Total votes: 44

User avatar
BoyJord

Bronze
Posts: 242
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:15 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2020

Postby BoyJord » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:20 pm

I'm getting an apartment within a mile of school. I don't want to live on campus but I want to be able to walk to everything.

User avatar
brinicolec

Gold
Posts: 4480
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2020

Postby brinicolec » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:20 pm

nerdylsat wrote:Those of you attending, where will you live?

I'm thinking about the Lawyer's Club, but I don't really wanna have to pay for the food there all year because I'll probably get bored of it.

I was thinking of maybe getting an apartment nearby and saving on some food/cooking for myself + have more privacy since I'll be able to invite people over to my apartment and hang out without the rules of the Lawyer's Club etc. (things like loud music or smoking/drinking I imagine aren't allowed at the LC)

Thoughts?

My only doubts are that maybe when winter comes around I'll regret having to commute to class in the bitter cold.


Living in an apt. off-campus (walking distance) w/ one roommate.

My understanding is drinking is allowed in LC. Smoking, probably a no.
Loud music.... also probably a no lol

User avatar
nerdylsat

Bronze
Posts: 202
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:39 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2020

Postby nerdylsat » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:02 pm

BoyJord wrote:I'm getting an apartment within a mile of school. I don't want to live on campus but I want to be able to walk to everything.


What areas/neighbourhoods are you looking at? PM me if you wanna trade info ;)

User avatar
brinicolec

Gold
Posts: 4480
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2020

Postby brinicolec » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:43 pm

nerdylsat wrote:
BoyJord wrote:I'm getting an apartment within a mile of school. I don't want to live on campus but I want to be able to walk to everything.


What areas/neighbourhoods are you looking at? PM me if you wanna trade info ;)


I literally just went down the list of property companies we got at ASW and looked at all the available places. Pickings are getting QUITE slim lol.

User avatar
BoyJord

Bronze
Posts: 242
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:15 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2020

Postby BoyJord » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:53 pm

brinicolec wrote:
nerdylsat wrote:
BoyJord wrote:I'm getting an apartment within a mile of school. I don't want to live on campus but I want to be able to walk to everything.


What areas/neighbourhoods are you looking at? PM me if you wanna trade info ;)


I literally just went down the list of property companies we got at ASW and looked at all the available places. Pickings are getting QUITE slim lol.


Are either of you looking for the fall or for summer start?

User avatar
brinicolec

Gold
Posts: 4480
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2020

Postby brinicolec » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:19 pm

BoyJord wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
nerdylsat wrote:
BoyJord wrote:I'm getting an apartment within a mile of school. I don't want to live on campus but I want to be able to walk to everything.


What areas/neighbourhoods are you looking at? PM me if you wanna trade info ;)


I literally just went down the list of property companies we got at ASW and looked at all the available places. Pickings are getting QUITE slim lol.


Are either of you looking for the fall or for summer start?


Well, I signed my fall lease before I paid my seat deposit, actually. Lol.

I'm actually currently in the process of trying to find a solid sublease for the summer. Law school students don't have their shit together as much as I was expecting so it's been a messy process so far lol.

User avatar
brinicolec

Gold
Posts: 4480
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2020

Postby brinicolec » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:23 pm

For those of you still looking for somewhere for the fall, Cabrio (it's a property mgmt co) seems to have a few places with units still available and some of them are in walking distance. Before I signed my lease, I email-blasted a handful of students and asked if they knew any dirt on Cabrio and no one did so I guess that's a good sign lol.

User avatar
nerdylsat

Bronze
Posts: 202
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:39 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2020

Postby nerdylsat » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:55 am

Looking for the fall start, will probably get there about a week before orientation starts.

Not sure if I should visit beforehand and check out living options for myself before blinding leasing something online.

The Lawyers Club looks like the lowest risk option because it's at the law school and looks really well kept, but it seems a bit expensive.

User avatar
brinicolec

Gold
Posts: 4480
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2020

Postby brinicolec » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:57 am

nerdylsat wrote:Looking for the fall start, will probably get there about a week before orientation starts.

Not sure if I should visit beforehand and check out living options for myself before blinding leasing something online.

The Lawyers Club looks like the lowest risk option because it's at the law school and looks really well kept, but it seems a bit expensive.


I believe you can put yourself on the list for the LC but not be bound to living there while you explore other options.

User avatar
BoyJord

Bronze
Posts: 242
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:15 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2020

Postby BoyJord » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:20 am

brinicolec wrote:
nerdylsat wrote:Looking for the fall start, will probably get there about a week before orientation starts.

Not sure if I should visit beforehand and check out living options for myself before blinding leasing something online.

The Lawyers Club looks like the lowest risk option because it's at the law school and looks really well kept, but it seems a bit expensive.


I believe you can put yourself on the list for the LC but not be bound to living there while you explore other options.


Can confirm LC app is non binding

ChildWithADove

New
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:12 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2020

Postby ChildWithADove » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:39 am

Current 3L.

I lived in the LC during 1L and an apartment ever since. I wish I would have stayed. The only really down side in the LC is the food. Yes, it is on the high end of rent for the area, but unless you are able to sublet your apartment during the summer (which is more difficult than you would think), the price difference is negligible.

Another potential con of the LC is that you are constantly sorrounded by law students. I didn't find this to be bad. If you want to be a hermit, you definitely can at the LC. It is probably more difficult to socialize living off campus than to be a hermit living on campus. But I guess that is a person specific consideration.

User avatar
brinicolec

Gold
Posts: 4480
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2020

Postby brinicolec » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:53 pm

ChildWithADove wrote:Current 3L.

I lived in the LC during 1L and an apartment ever since. I wish I would have stayed. The only really down side in the LC is the food. Yes, it is on the high end of rent for the area, but unless you are able to sublet your apartment during the summer (which is more difficult than you would think), the price difference is negligible.

Another potential con of the LC is that you are constantly sorrounded by law students. I didn't find this to be bad. If you want to be a hermit, you definitely can at the LC. It is probably more difficult to socialize living off campus than to be a hermit living on campus. But I guess that is a person specific consideration.


I'm assuming someone who's simply extroverted won't have difficulty socializing regardless of where they live (see also: me lol) though, right? I think for someone who's more introverted, but wants to be social, living off-campus is probably not a great idea. I know one of the people I met at ASW said they planned on living in LC because they know they're more introverted but want to make friends/go out/etc. and feel like living in LC will make it easier.

ChildWithADove

New
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:12 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2020

Postby ChildWithADove » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:45 pm

brinicolec wrote:
ChildWithADove wrote:Current 3L.

I lived in the LC during 1L and an apartment ever since. I wish I would have stayed. The only really down side in the LC is the food. Yes, it is on the high end of rent for the area, but unless you are able to sublet your apartment during the summer (which is more difficult than you would think), the price difference is negligible.

Another potential con of the LC is that you are constantly sorrounded by law students. I didn't find this to be bad. If you want to be a hermit, you definitely can at the LC. It is probably more difficult to socialize living off campus than to be a hermit living on campus. But I guess that is a person specific consideration.


I'm assuming someone who's simply extroverted won't have difficulty socializing regardless of where they live (see also: me lol) though, right? I think for someone who's more introverted, but wants to be social, living off-campus is probably not a great idea. I know one of the people I met at ASW said they planned on living in LC because they know they're more introverted but want to make friends/go out/etc. and feel like living in LC will make it easier.


Yeah. That sounds right. I know plenty of people that live off campus and are very happy. Most of them, however, are extroverts or are in relationships.

User avatar
BoyJord

Bronze
Posts: 242
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:15 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2020

Postby BoyJord » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:48 pm

brinicolec wrote:
ChildWithADove wrote:Current 3L.

I lived in the LC during 1L and an apartment ever since. I wish I would have stayed. The only really down side in the LC is the food. Yes, it is on the high end of rent for the area, but unless you are able to sublet your apartment during the summer (which is more difficult than you would think), the price difference is negligible.

Another potential con of the LC is that you are constantly sorrounded by law students. I didn't find this to be bad. If you want to be a hermit, you definitely can at the LC. It is probably more difficult to socialize living off campus than to be a hermit living on campus. But I guess that is a person specific consideration.


I'm assuming someone who's simply extroverted won't have difficulty socializing regardless of where they live (see also: me lol) though, right? I think for someone who's more introverted, but wants to be social, living off-campus is probably not a great idea. I know one of the people I met at ASW said they planned on living in LC because they know they're more introverted but want to make friends/go out/etc. and feel like living in LC will make it easier.


+1

Dont know everyone's situation but if you have worked (and formed/maintained friendships with your co-workers) prior to going to law school I do not see you having an issue being social and living off-campus. Presumably you would have gone for drinks/meals/events/etc with your co-workers despite not living with them.

User avatar
jewkidontheblock

Bronze
Posts: 246
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:06 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2020

Postby jewkidontheblock » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:30 pm

Current 1L living in LC and would highly recommend. With the grind of 1L, the lack of commute and convenience with meals are just huge time-savers and stress-savers, especially when finals roll around.

Lots of new friend groups formed at tables in the dining hall or around the common rooms. I have a bunch of friends who live off campus, but it seems like they have harder times branching out than LC residents, extroverted or not. Many of them wind up spending a lot of time in the LC anyway.

Unless you really love cooking or can find a place for significantly cheaper, do LC if you're on the fence.

HowlandReed

New
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:56 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2020

Postby HowlandReed » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:27 pm

jewkidontheblock wrote:Current 1L living in LC and would highly recommend. With the grind of 1L, the lack of commute and convenience with meals are just huge time-savers and stress-savers, especially when finals roll around.

Lots of new friend groups formed at tables in the dining hall or around the common rooms. I have a bunch of friends who live off campus, but it seems like they have harder times branching out than LC residents, extroverted or not. Many of them wind up spending a lot of time in the LC anyway.

Unless you really love cooking or can find a place for significantly cheaper, do LC if you're on the fence.

Are the cheaper rooms much smaller/worse?

ldlestrange

Bronze
Posts: 124
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:50 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2020

Postby ldlestrange » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:34 am

nerdylsat wrote:Those of you attending, where will you live?

I'm thinking about the Lawyer's Club, but I don't really wanna have to pay for the food there all year because I'll probably get bored of it.

I was thinking of maybe getting an apartment nearby and saving on some food/cooking for myself + have more privacy since I'll be able to invite people over to my apartment and hang out without the rules of the Lawyer's Club etc. (things like loud music or smoking/drinking I imagine aren't allowed at the LC)

Thoughts?

My only doubts are that maybe when winter comes around I'll regret having to commute to class in the bitter cold.


I think I'll be doing this as well. Was very underwhelmed by the food at LC and I prefer to cook my own meals :P
I think as long as you live 10 minutes walking distance away, the walk won't be too bad!!! (or so I hope)

mina_ami

New
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:44 am

Re: Michigan Class of 2020

Postby mina_ami » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:22 pm

ATTENTION SUMMER STARTERS (or fall starters who want to spend the summer in Ann Arbor because it's awesome)

It's still very much in the making, should be filled up soon, but we the current students are making a google sheets file for summer sublets.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Unlike whatever the admissions office sent out, this is editable, so it'll hopefully be more up to date!

Congrats!

Earlskies

Bronze
Posts: 208
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:17 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2020

Postby Earlskies » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:20 pm

I just signed my apartment lease. See you chumps in the Fall!

User avatar
brinicolec

Gold
Posts: 4480
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2020

Postby brinicolec » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:02 pm

Earlskies wrote:I just signed my apartment lease. See you chumps in the Fall!


Woot woot! See you in the fall!

User avatar
brinicolec

Gold
Posts: 4480
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2020

Postby brinicolec » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:04 pm

ldlestrange wrote:
nerdylsat wrote:Those of you attending, where will you live?

I'm thinking about the Lawyer's Club, but I don't really wanna have to pay for the food there all year because I'll probably get bored of it.

I was thinking of maybe getting an apartment nearby and saving on some food/cooking for myself + have more privacy since I'll be able to invite people over to my apartment and hang out without the rules of the Lawyer's Club etc. (things like loud music or smoking/drinking I imagine aren't allowed at the LC)

Thoughts?

My only doubts are that maybe when winter comes around I'll regret having to commute to class in the bitter cold.


I think I'll be doing this as well. Was very underwhelmed by the food at LC and I prefer to cook my own meals :P
I think as long as you live 10 minutes walking distance away, the walk won't be too bad!!! (or so I hope)


I'm living in walking distance (I think it's like 15 mins on Google maps, which is probably closer to 10-12 mins for me). I have a pet, like to cook, and don't want all my LS friends knowing all my business :lol:

I'm considering getting a combo parking pass (I was going to get an after hours pass regardless) so I have the option of driving to class if it's ridiculously cold/super snowy.

User avatar
brinicolec

Gold
Posts: 4480
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2020

Postby brinicolec » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:08 pm

Hey Summer Starters! There's a FB group for us:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1700760123558476/

You have to have your umich email before you can join (so you have to have deposited). I ended up having to list it as my secondary email on FB before it would let me join; it wouldn't ask me to just insert it on its own.

It only has six members right now, which is hella sad. So plz join!

User avatar
nerdylsat

Bronze
Posts: 202
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:39 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2020

Postby nerdylsat » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:09 pm

brinicolec wrote:don't want all my LS friends knowing all my business :lol:


On that note, does anyone know the LC policy regarding visitor. My GF and a few friends want to visit me at AA and the obviously would wanna stay with me to cut costs. Would it be ok if my GF or a friend stayed with me at the LC for some time? (like a week). I assume it would be.

User avatar
dietcoke1

Silver
Posts: 1326
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:18 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2020

Postby dietcoke1 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:10 pm

nerdylsat wrote:
brinicolec wrote:don't want all my LS friends knowing all my business :lol:


On that note, does anyone know the LC policy regarding visitor. My GF and a few friends want to visit me at AA and the obviously would wanna stay with me to cut costs. Would it be ok if my GF or a friend stayed with me at the LC for some time? (like a week). I assume it would be.


also wondering about this

ldlestrange

Bronze
Posts: 124
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:50 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2020

Postby ldlestrange » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:36 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:
nerdylsat wrote:
brinicolec wrote:don't want all my LS friends knowing all my business :lol:


On that note, does anyone know the LC policy regarding visitor. My GF and a few friends want to visit me at AA and the obviously would wanna stay with me to cut costs. Would it be ok if my GF or a friend stayed with me at the LC for some time? (like a week). I assume it would be.


also wondering about this


I was told by a friend who toured LC during Preview that visitors are okay, but maybe a current student living there rn can confirm?



Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests