HA1L THE CLASS OF 2020 [[Michigan]] Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

We're headed to Hogwarts, so what's your house?

Gryffindor
13%
Hufflepuff
21%
Ravenclaw
27%
Slytherin
21%
Regardless of what the quiz says, I'm a muggle, tbh.
19%

Total votes: 48

S.Picquery

Silver

Re: Michigan Class of 2020

Post by S.Picquery » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:40 am

brinicolec wrote:very true. Was there anything about finances in the "Summers Starters" section where they tell us all the reasons summer start is great? Lol
There wasn't, but advertising the fact that it might save you <10k isn't like... the biggest deal to most of us. I'm just going to keep rereading their LRAP promo stuff and remind myself it's all going to be okay. I'm surprised at how generous it seems to be. I feel like maybe I'm reading it wrong, because if I'm not it blows UVA's out of the water, especially in light of the possible changes this administration may make to PSLF, and other forgiveness programs.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:42 am

S.Picquery wrote:
brinicolec wrote:very true. Was there anything about finances in the "Summers Starters" section where they tell us all the reasons summer start is great? Lol
There wasn't, but advertising the fact that it might save you <10k isn't like... the biggest deal to most of us. I'm just going to keep rereading their LRAP promo stuff and remind myself it's all going to be okay. I'm surprised at how generous it seems to be. I feel like maybe I'm reading it wrong, because if I'm not it blows UVA's out of the water, especially in light of the possible changes this administration may make to PSLF, and other forgiveness programs.

I don't think you're reading it wrong. I read it as being pretty generous as well. Do you have the pamphlet that has info on it? If not, you can grab one from the admissions office

S.Picquery

Silver

Post by S.Picquery » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:32 pm

brinicolec wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:

I don't think you're reading it wrong. I read it as being pretty generous as well. Do you have the pamphlet that has info on it? If not, you can grab one from the admissions office
I do, and the powerpoint online and the FAQ, etc., etc., I'm willing Michigan to take its entire campus and just levitate it to anywhere else that might be more helpful to me in the long run. Michigan...

dietcoke1

Silver

Post by dietcoke1 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:38 pm

excited to be at UMich tomorrow!

also for those who were interested in watching the sweet sixteen game, apparently it will be rowdy at the auction so planning on watching it there!

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:24 pm

S.Picquery wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:

I do, and the powerpoint online and the FAQ, etc., etc., I'm willing Michigan to take its entire campus and just levitate it to anywhere else that might be more helpful to me in the long run. Michigan...
Where do you want to practice?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

S.Picquery

Silver

Post by S.Picquery » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:49 pm

brinicolec wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:

Where do you want to practice?
Hahaha Atlanta, which is why I'm still considering Emory, and would likely have to pick it or UVA over Mich no matter how much I love it there.

herecomesthesun

Bronze

Post by herecomesthesun » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:16 pm

I am not PI, and know very, very little about LRAP and all that but what I do know is that Michigan's program is probably the most generous outside of HYS

S.Picquery

Silver

Post by S.Picquery » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:42 pm

herecomesthesun wrote:I am not PI, and know very, very little about LRAP and all that but what I do know is that Michigan's program is probably the most generous outside of HYS
+1 they really seem committed to their alums being able to choose whatever path they can/want to with their JD

shehulk16

New

Post by shehulk16 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:06 pm

S.Picquery wrote:
herecomesthesun wrote:I am not PI, and know very, very little about LRAP and all that but what I do know is that Michigan's program is probably the most generous outside of HYS
+1 they really seem committed to their alums being able to choose whatever path they can/want to with their JD
Yeah, I've noticed this too! but what about CLS and NYU? I think they're also surprisingly generous (perhaps more generous!) but I'm not very good at analyzing these things

also hello, checking in, I'm already in love w/ Ann Arbor

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:13 pm

Welp. I'm here. Lol.

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:16 pm

Hmmmm pretty much everything I've heard (and from my own research) is that NYU and CLS are the best LRAP programs after H/Y/S. However, I haven't looked into Michigan's nearly as much as NYU or CLS (less debt at Mich so I'm less worried about it :lol:), so I could be wrong!

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:49 pm

Gonna go ahead and throw this out in the air: I'm looking @ housing and am interested in 618 South Main. It's probably a 15 or so min. walk from the LS and is one of the newer "luxury" apartments so it's definitely more expensive but if anyone (female) might be interested in going half on a 2BR... Lemme know lol.

Edit: Also looking @ Foundry.
Last edited by brinicolec on Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dclaw93

Bronze

Post by dclaw93 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:36 pm

On my way to Ann Arbor! If my hotel roommate is reading this, sorry in advance for waking you up at 1AM...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

batlaw

New

Post by batlaw » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:06 pm

So, what do I pack? Just kidding... mostly. I don't really know how to handle the cold so I may bring way too many layers! I'm still debating how formal to dress, except I'm meeting with some professors so I think I may just step it up a notch or decide to not care if my future classmates think ill of me for dressing any certain way and just do what seems right to me.

On another note... I really want to do the auction and the basketball game so I'm glad to hear that they will be doing both at the same time. It seems like there aren't that many events after the auction on Thursday though right? Are most people planning to go rest for Friday or to explore Ann Arbor a bit? I have an 8 am coffee meeting so will definitely be getting to bed before 12 but that still leaves time after the auction.

My schedule is so incredibly packed, and I am slowly getting more and more excited!

Is anyone meeting with financial aid while there? I know they "don't negotiate" and even if I do end up trying to negotiate I doubt it would be the proper time, so I'm not sure if there is a real point to it except to discuss LRAP.

IcarusOnWheels

New

Post by IcarusOnWheels » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:32 pm

Hey all,

Current 1L here. Excited to meet you all at ASW! If anyone (summer starters most likely) is looking for summer housing - let me know! I'm subletting my place near campus. You would even be able to extend through the year if you like.

If you have any general questions about Michigan, the apartment, Ann Arbor, etc., feel free to DM me.

IcarusOnWheels

New

Post by IcarusOnWheels » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:34 pm

batlaw wrote: Is anyone meeting with financial aid while there? I know they "don't negotiate" and even if I do end up trying to negotiate I doubt it would be the proper time, so I'm not sure if there is a real point to it except to discuss LRAP.
I'd definitely shoot them an email. Last year, they said the same "we don't negotiate" deal, but negotiated with me....

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:50 pm

batlaw wrote:So, what do I pack? Just kidding... mostly. I don't really know how to handle the cold so I may bring way too many layers! I'm still debating how formal to dress, except I'm meeting with some professors so I think I may just step it up a notch or decide to not care if my future classmates think ill of me for dressing any certain way and just do what seems right to me.

On another note... I really want to do the auction and the basketball game so I'm glad to hear that they will be doing both at the same time. It seems like there aren't that many events after the auction on Thursday though right? Are most people planning to go rest for Friday or to explore Ann Arbor a bit? I have an 8 am coffee meeting so will definitely be getting to bed before 12 but that still leaves time after the auction.

My schedule is so incredibly packed, and I am slowly getting more and more excited!

Is anyone meeting with financial aid while there? I know they "don't negotiate" and even if I do end up trying to negotiate I doubt it would be the proper time, so I'm not sure if there is a real point to it except to discuss LRAP.
On the web site they say to dress casual (because the students here don't dress up for class).

I'm pretty sure I'm going drinking Thursday night.. and Friday night (I'm staying with a current 1L lol).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Keilz

Gold

Post by Keilz » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:13 am

y'all have fun! :D

S.Picquery

Silver

Post by S.Picquery » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:37 am

brinicolec wrote:
batlaw wrote:So, what do I pack? Just kidding... mostly. I don't really know how to handle the cold so I may bring way too many layers! I'm still debating how formal to dress, except I'm meeting with some professors so I think I may just step it up a notch or decide to not care if my future classmates think ill of me for dressing any certain way and just do what seems right to me.

On the web site they say to dress casual (because the students here don't dress up for class).

I'm pretty sure I'm going drinking Thursday night.. and Friday night (I'm staying with a current 1L lol).
Also while today is gonna be cold, tomorrow is going to hit 68 degrees. Just so you know.

batlaw

New

Post by batlaw » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:11 am

IcarusOnWheels wrote:
batlaw wrote: Is anyone meeting with financial aid while there? I know they "don't negotiate" and even if I do end up trying to negotiate I doubt it would be the proper time, so I'm not sure if there is a real point to it except to discuss LRAP.
I'd definitely shoot them an email. Last year, they said the same "we don't negotiate" deal, but negotiated with me....
Did you do that while at ASW in person?

batlaw

New

Post by batlaw » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:14 am

brinicolec wrote: On the web site they say to dress casual (because the students here don't dress up for class).

I'll try to keep it casual then =).
S.Picquery wrote:Also while today is gonna be cold, tomorrow is going to hit 68 degrees. Just so you know.
I saw this, but thanks for the heads up! It looks like rain on Saturday, so all sorts of weather to be ready for.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver

Post by Anon.y.mousse. » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:37 am

batlaw wrote:
brinicolec wrote: On the web site they say to dress casual (because the students here don't dress up for class).

S.Picquery wrote:Also while today is gonna be cold, tomorrow is going to hit 68 degrees. Just so you know.
I saw this, but thanks for the heads up! It looks like rain on Saturday, so all sorts of weather to be ready for.
welcome to Michigan weather! :D

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:29 am

Anon.y.mousse. wrote:
batlaw wrote:

If I leave without ending up sick it'll be a miracle

twochipmunks

New

Post by twochipmunks » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:17 am

Anon.y.mousse. wrote:
batlaw wrote:

Michigan is famous for getting all 4 seasons in a week. You'll have two down - only two more to go for the grand slam!

herecomesthesun

Bronze

Post by herecomesthesun » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:30 am

Also current 1L! Happy to talk to y'all in person!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”