UChicago Class of 2020 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

Where are you from?

1st Circuit
3%
2nd Circuit
11%
3rd Circuit
5%
4th Circuit
5%
5th/11th Circuit
8%
6th Circuit
9%
7th Circuit
9%
8th Circuit
13%
9th Circuit
31%
10th Circuit
6%

Total votes: 64

MAPP

Bronze

UChicago Class of 2020

Post by MAPP » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:30 pm

Welcome ladies and gentlemen!

Any ideas for the op just let me know

Admitted students website
Housing information

Admitted Students Weekend
April 6 - 8

Seat Deposit
Must be post marked by April 29

Day in the Life Program
Shows you what a typical day for a UChicago law student is like. Days are February 24th and March 31st

Coffee with Current Students
See Admitted Students Website. May schedule a time to get coffee with a current UChicago student in a metropolitan area near you. Dates for the program are March 13 - 26

Alumni and Admitted Students Receptions
Events are planned for Chicago, Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco, and Washington DC

Travel Reimbursement
Provided to students who live further than 150 miles from the Law School. Amount is $200 and may only be redeemed during official admitted student programs

Ask UChi Students
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 4&t=140165

Student Space
Shoot these guys an email. They were started by Northwestern students and help you find housing in Chicago based on your preferences, and they don't charge anything. http://www.student-space.com/

KMart

Gold

Re: UChicago Class of 2020

Post by KMart » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:40 pm

just posting to tag and for anyone who wants to quote me and ask me something about the school.

congrats y'all; hope to see you at ASW or on campus in the fall

3pianists

Bronze

Post by 3pianists » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:25 pm

Current 1L, also happy to offer commentary as desired. :)

MAPP

Bronze

Post by MAPP » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:49 pm

3pianists wrote:
KMart wrote:
Did you guys use Student Space when you were looking for housing? Also, did you find roommates? I'm thinking of chatting people up during ASW or maybe just posting to the fb page to find a roommate...

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:24 pm

MAPP wrote:Did you guys use Student Space when you were looking for housing? Also, did you find roommates? I'm thinking of chatting people up during ASW or maybe just posting to the fb page to find a roommate...
i did not, but i also didn't want a roommate. both of your options are relatively common ways people attempt to find a roommate. not having one myself, i can't comment on their success. housing is relatively easy to find and there's a lot of options depending on what you want or what your priorities are.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

archipm

Bronze

Post by archipm » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:22 am

Current 1L - I found my roommates on facebook. Someone made a spreadsheet in our Class of 2019 fbook group and people could put some basic info about what they were looking for/price range/etc and connect that way, which was helpful.
Last edited by archipm on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:17 am

archipm wrote:Someone made a spreadsheet in our Class of 2019 fbook group and people could put some basic info about what they were looking for/price range/etc and connect that way, which was helpful.
step up your game, 0Ls

MAPP

Bronze

Post by MAPP » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:45 pm

archipm wrote:Current 1L - I found my roommates on facebook. Someone made a spreadsheet in our Class of 2019 fbook group and people could put some basic info about what they were looking for/price range/etc and connect that way, which was helpful.
Wow... do you happen to still have access to the spreadsheet? I might try and use it as a template

archipm

Bronze

Post by archipm » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:48 pm

MAPP wrote:
archipm wrote:Current 1L - I found my roommates on facebook. Someone made a spreadsheet in our Class of 2019 fbook group and people could put some basic info about what they were looking for/price range/etc and connect that way, which was helpful.
Wow... do you happen to still have access to the spreadsheet? I might try and use it as a template
It doesn't seem to still be up but I think the fields were pretty standard. Off the top of my head I think they were name/email/age/gender/preferred roommate gender if any preference/area for short self-introduction/price range/preferred location or buildings/preferences regarding pets. People just filled in their info and then removed it as they found roommates.
Last edited by archipm on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gypsyroselily

New

Post by gypsyroselily » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:30 pm

Hi, everyone! Has anyone admitted Jan. 20 or later received their official admission letter in the mail yet? If so, was there scholarship info in it?

purplerain237

New

Post by purplerain237 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:13 pm

Hey all! Any thoughts on the necessity of having a car? It didn't really occur to me to buy a car to move to a city with decent public transportation, but it's been coming up more and more when I talk about moving to Hyde Park!

MAPP

Bronze

Post by MAPP » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:00 pm

purplerain237 wrote:Hey all! Any thoughts on the necessity of having a car? It didn't really occur to me to buy a car to move to a city with decent public transportation, but it's been coming up more and more when I talk about moving to Hyde Park!
I'm going to bring mine... I don't think it will be super necessary, but it will make some things more convenient

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:30 am

purplerain237 wrote:Hey all! Any thoughts on the necessity of having a car? It didn't really occur to me to buy a car to move to a city with decent public transportation, but it's been coming up more and more when I talk about moving to Hyde Park!
it's helpful but by no means necessary. the public transportation is cheap and you get 3 busses that run around HP for free. you can use them to go grocery shopping or you can use Peapod/Instacart/Primenow to deliver your groceries. As far as going out downtown, you can always use uber (probably cheaper than parking, depending on where you're going). when i was looking at law schools i decided i'd bring my car to any school but NU/Chicago simply because it's too much of a hassle and anything it's really great for (groceries) can be taken care of with minimal effort.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

gypsyroselily

New

Post by gypsyroselily » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:08 am

Alright, hooligans, my latest blunder: the financial need form. So I was admitted on January 20 and received my packet with the whole huge handbook February 13. I know we had PDF access to the handbook upon admission, but I wasn't about to sit there and scroll through all that tiny print when I thought receiving it was imminent. So I open the thing today, look at financial aid, and what do you know, need form needs to be in "by February 15." I submitted it at 10:30PM PST and was all proud of myself, then realized it's ALREADY February 15 Chicago time. Luckily for me, their policy is super unclear (no statement about which time zone reigns, admitted students site says "on February 15" which is not the same as "by February 15," etc.) so now I get to stress about the possibility of my need form being disregarded as "late" until the financial aid office and/or Ann Perry email me back. Ta-da! *curtain*

3pianists

Bronze

Post by 3pianists » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:03 pm

MAPP wrote:
I'm going to bring mine... I don't think it will be super necessary, but it will make some things more convenient
It's definitely not necessary, but I use mine a few times a week. Street parking is free, but it's a huge pain to find a space anywhere in HP. Don't expect to find a space near the law school unless you're arriving before 8am (if you happen to drive for whatever reason).

That said, a lot of people disagree, but I'm glad I have a car. The thing I use it most regularly for is just grocery shopping somewhere other than the wildly overpriced HP grocery stores without having to carry my stuff on the bus.

lawschoolyogi

New

Post by lawschoolyogi » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:10 pm

Hi there, fellow OL here. I lived in Chicago for 7 years, and I'd say that anywhere else in Chicago a car is a nuisance (finding parking, paying the city sticker, etc.) but it can be useful in HP. I'm planning to have one so I can get to the northside and westside more easily, as well as make it out to the suburbs (where IKEA is, for example). Public transit from HP to other neighborhoods (which are really worth exploring!) can be frustrating and long since the Red Line doesn't run through it and the Green Line likely won't be within walking distance of your apartment. But with car sharing options and Uber/Lyft, you do have other options. Plus HP has Hyde Park Produce, a new movie theatre, a new Whole Foods and I think a Target (soon or already?) so it's no longer as isolated as it once was. Chicago is also pretty bike-friendly and with the Lake Shore path, you have a bike highway running along the entire eastside of the city, so that is another option.

MAPP

Bronze

Post by MAPP » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:41 pm

gypsyroselily wrote:Alright, hooligans, my latest blunder: the financial need form. So I was admitted on January 20 and received my packet with the whole huge handbook February 13. I know we had PDF access to the handbook upon admission, but I wasn't about to sit there and scroll through all that tiny print when I thought receiving it was imminent. So I open the thing today, look at financial aid, and what do you know, need form needs to be in "by February 15." I submitted it at 10:30PM PST and was all proud of myself, then realized it's ALREADY February 15 Chicago time. Luckily for me, their policy is super unclear (no statement about which time zone reigns, admitted students site says "on February 15" which is not the same as "by February 15," etc.) so now I get to stress about the possibility of my need form being disregarded as "late" until the financial aid office and/or Ann Perry email me back. Ta-da! *curtain*
Piss, I would've had that date in the op if I had known. I just stumbled across the need form when I was faffing around the admitted students website and decided to fill it out.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

gypsyroselily

New

Post by gypsyroselily » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:55 pm

MAPP wrote:
gypsyroselily wrote:Alright, hooligans, my latest blunder: the financial need form. So I was admitted on January 20 and received my packet with the whole huge handbook February 13. I know we had PDF access to the handbook upon admission, but I wasn't about to sit there and scroll through all that tiny print when I thought receiving it was imminent. So I open the thing today, look at financial aid, and what do you know, need form needs to be in "by February 15." I submitted it at 10:30PM PST and was all proud of myself, then realized it's ALREADY February 15 Chicago time. Luckily for me, their policy is super unclear (no statement about which time zone reigns, admitted students site says "on February 15" which is not the same as "by February 15," etc.) so now I get to stress about the possibility of my need form being disregarded as "late" until the financial aid office and/or Ann Perry email me back. Ta-da! *curtain*
Piss, I would've had that date in the op if I had known. I just stumbled across the need form when I was faffing around the admitted students website and decided to fill it out.
They had it on page 50-something of a packet I didn't receive until a month after I was admitted. It was a close call. Luckily, FinAid and Ann Perry got back to me, and the timing issue was no problem. :)

xn3345

New

Post by xn3345 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:54 pm

Dress code for the Admitted Students receptions at the fancy firms?

gargleblaster

Bronze

Post by gargleblaster » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:18 pm

yues
Last edited by gargleblaster on Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xn3345

New

Post by xn3345 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:16 pm

gargleblaster wrote:
xn3345 wrote:Dress code for the Admitted Students receptions at the fancy firms?

Depends on the firm/location.

In SF - the students that have showed up in suits were the exception.

Most of the school reps/older alumni were in suits.

Younger alumni were in business casual.

Just look nice.
Equally true for Paul, Weiss in NYC?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:42 pm

Probably checking in

TudoBem

Bronze

Post by TudoBem » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:22 am

Checking in :D

KMart