Cornell Class of 2020: section poll added, gtfih

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

What section are you?

A
6
26%
B
2
9%
C
5
22%
D
4
17%
E
3
13%
F
3
13%
 
Total votes: 23

User avatar
chargers21
Posts: 3653
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2020: poll added, gtfih

Postby chargers21 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:16 pm

.
Last edited by chargers21 on Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
freekick
Posts: 312
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:11 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2020: poll added, gtfih

Postby freekick » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:28 pm

Lavitz wrote:
freekick wrote:
uhwrestler wrote:anyone get an invitation to the academic orientation program from aug 6th-aug 11th?


I didn't get it. Anyone else who didn't get it?

Only a portion of the class gets it.


On what basis do they pick students? And no chance of attending it if you aren't invited?

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3394
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2020: poll added, gtfih

Postby Lavitz » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:37 pm

freekick wrote:
Lavitz wrote:
freekick wrote:
uhwrestler wrote:anyone get an invitation to the academic orientation program from aug 6th-aug 11th?


I didn't get it. Anyone else who didn't get it?

Only a portion of the class gets it.


On what basis do they pick students? And no chance of attending it if you aren't invited?

Usually some mix of whether you submitted a diversity statement + other factors I'm not familiar with.

And no, probably not, although I'll defer to someone more knowledgeable about whether you can request an invite nowadays. In any case, you're not missing anything essential. I wouldn't worry about it.

User avatar
chargers21
Posts: 3653
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2020: poll added, gtfih

Postby chargers21 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:40 pm

.
Last edited by chargers21 on Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3394
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2020: poll added, gtfih

Postby Lavitz » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:52 pm

chargers21 wrote:Y'all need to check in on the destinations thread. We're getting waxed
http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=276168

At least you're still doing better than the previous two years.

User avatar
CR7
Posts: 71
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:09 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2020: poll added, gtfih

Postby CR7 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:07 pm

Does anyone know when we find out about class schedules and sections?

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3394
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2020: poll added, gtfih

Postby Lavitz » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:34 pm

CR7 wrote:Does anyone know when we find out about class schedules and sections?

coffee4life wrote:
bobblue25 wrote:Does anyone know when we get our class schedules or when we find out what section we're in?


Hey,

We should get that information by early August.

dirkdiggler
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:51 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2020: poll added, gtfih

Postby dirkdiggler » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:04 am

Anyone know the difference between Barbri 1L prep and the Academic Orientation at Cornell? I received a scholarship from Latham and Watkins to do Barbri in my hometown but not sure if I should scrap that and do the one at Cornell now?

coffee4life
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:07 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2020: poll added, gtfih

Postby coffee4life » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:49 am

dirkdiggler wrote:Anyone know the difference between Barbri 1L prep and the Academic Orientation at Cornell? I received a scholarship from Latham and Watkins to do Barbri in my hometown but not sure if I should scrap that and do the one at Cornell now?


That's the same thing I was wondering. They really do seem like the same thing don't they?

Let's see if anyone knows more.

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3394
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2020: poll added, gtfih

Postby Lavitz » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:02 pm

coffee4life wrote:
dirkdiggler wrote:Anyone know the difference between Barbri 1L prep and the Academic Orientation at Cornell? I received a scholarship from Latham and Watkins to do Barbri in my hometown but not sure if I should scrap that and do the one at Cornell now?


That's the same thing I was wondering. They really do seem like the same thing don't they?

Let's see if anyone knows more.

As far as I know, BarBri focuses more on providing an overview of the substantive law in each traditional 1L class whereas AOP focuses more on preparing you for the law school experience in general and obviously is tailored to the Cornell experience. IMO, substantive knowledge of the law this early won't give you any noticeable advantage over your classmates, but AOP is useful for meeting people, getting advice from 2Ls and 3Ls, and easing into Cornell specifically, so I'd do that.

User avatar
chargers21
Posts: 3653
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2020: poll added, gtfih

Postby chargers21 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:06 pm

.
Last edited by chargers21 on Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

coffee4life
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:07 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2020: poll added, gtfih

Postby coffee4life » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:41 pm

Lavitz wrote:
coffee4life wrote:
dirkdiggler wrote:Anyone know the difference between Barbri 1L prep and the Academic Orientation at Cornell? I received a scholarship from Latham and Watkins to do Barbri in my hometown but not sure if I should scrap that and do the one at Cornell now?


That's the same thing I was wondering. They really do seem like the same thing don't they?

Let's see if anyone knows more.

As far as I know, BarBri focuses more on providing an overview of the substantive law in each traditional 1L class whereas AOP focuses more on preparing you for the law school experience in general and obviously is tailored to the Cornell experience. IMO, substantive knowledge of the law this early won't give you any noticeable advantage over your classmates, but AOP is useful for meeting people, getting advice from 2Ls and 3Ls, and easing into Cornell specifically, so I'd do that.


Thank you very much for clarifying :) I was so confused about the two programs.
To think I was gonna take that week off :P let the busy times begin....

User avatar
cantexplaingottago
Posts: 152
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:14 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2020: poll added, gtfih

Postby cantexplaingottago » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:21 am

coffee4life wrote:
Thank you very much for clarifying :) I was so confused about the two programs.
To think I was gonna take that week off :P let the busy times begin....


Don't try to plan anything the week before classes start, either. The materials you'll receive make it sound like orientation is only one day. It's really, really not.

uhwrestler
Posts: 280
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:44 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2020: poll added, gtfih

Postby uhwrestler » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:34 am

cantexplaingottago wrote:
coffee4life wrote:
Thank you very much for clarifying :) I was so confused about the two programs.
To think I was gonna take that week off :P let the busy times begin....


Don't try to plan anything the week before classes start, either. The materials you'll receive make it sound like orientation is only one day. It's really, really not.


the academic prep orientation or the standard orientation everyone attends?

User avatar
cantexplaingottago
Posts: 152
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:14 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2020: poll added, gtfih

Postby cantexplaingottago » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:17 pm

uhwrestler wrote:the academic prep orientation or the standard orientation everyone attends?


The standard one. I didn't go to AOP, so I don't know how intensive that is.

User avatar
cantexplaingottago
Posts: 152
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:14 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2020: poll added, gtfih

Postby cantexplaingottago » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:33 pm

Thought you folks would like to know (since I just looked it up for my own budgetary reasons)--my tuition refund (from loan disbursements) hit my bank account on 8/19 last year. Expect yours around then.

uhwrestler
Posts: 280
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:44 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2020: poll added, gtfih

Postby uhwrestler » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:53 am

hey this might be a stupid question

but i noticed that our tuition is due according to our to-do list on Aug 7th but i got a email from cornell stating that federal loans will not be disbursed until Aug 14th. can anyone explain this discrepancy?

User avatar
cantexplaingottago
Posts: 152
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:14 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2020: poll added, gtfih

Postby cantexplaingottago » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:58 am

uhwrestler wrote:hey this might be a stupid question

but i noticed that our tuition is due according to our to-do list on Aug 7th but i got a email from cornell stating that federal loans will not be disbursed until Aug 14th. can anyone explain this discrepancy?


The tuition is technically due, but it's not really due until after loan disbursements come around. If you're paying without loans, you can pay now. If you're relying on loans, just ignore it for now. The loans will go directly to the school, then they'll refund you the excess for living expenses. Make sure you have direct deposit set up.

User avatar
chargers21
Posts: 3653
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2020: poll added, gtfih

Postby chargers21 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:34 am

.
Last edited by chargers21 on Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
freekick
Posts: 312
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:11 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2020: poll added, gtfih

Postby freekick » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:59 am

chargers21 wrote:I can't find the Health History Form, anyone have any tips on where it is?

Also, I don't know if it's because I was on the waitlist, but I haven't received like any emails about anything I need to take of before arriving on campus. I've just been going off of the checklist, which is pretty piss poor on telling me how to actually find the forms I need to complete. The health history links all lead to a page that has no health history online form.


I did everything here: https://todo.newstudents.cornell.edu/fa ... orceLogin#

Did this not work for you?

User avatar
chargers21
Posts: 3653
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2020: poll added, gtfih

Postby chargers21 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:01 am

.
Last edited by chargers21 on Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lilo93
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:01 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2020: poll added, gtfih

Postby Lilo93 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:18 pm

chargers21 wrote:
freekick wrote:
chargers21 wrote:I can't find the Health History Form, anyone have any tips on where it is?

Also, I don't know if it's because I was on the waitlist, but I haven't received like any emails about anything I need to take of before arriving on campus. I've just been going off of the checklist, which is pretty piss poor on telling me how to actually find the forms I need to complete. The health history links all lead to a page that has no health history online form.


I did everything here: https://todo.newstudents.cornell.edu/fa ... orceLogin#

Did this not work for you?

I actually just got it to after some work, thanks though!
edit: I am still largely lost on how to become fully compliant. I have a copy of my immunization records, and physicals aren't required, so do I still have to take the form to my doctor?


If you have a copy of the immunization records, you can either upload it on the website or email them at immunization@Cornell.edu. It must be an official record either from a doctor or previous school, otherwise you need the doctor to sign the form. I'm pretty sure if you have the copy though, you wouldn't need to get the doctors signature.

Lilo93
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:01 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2020: poll added, gtfih

Postby Lilo93 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:19 pm

Is anyone going to the NYC Summer Reception tomorrow?

User avatar
chargers21
Posts: 3653
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2020: poll added, gtfih

Postby chargers21 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:22 pm

.
Last edited by chargers21 on Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
feefeeriri
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:32 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2020: poll added, gtfih

Postby feefeeriri » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:57 am

Lilo93 wrote:Is anyone going to the NYC Summer Reception tomorrow?



yep!


Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: rush4334 and 1 guest