Cornell Class of 2020: section poll added, gtfih

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

What section are you?

A
6
26%
B
2
9%
C
5
22%
D
4
17%
E
3
13%
F
3
13%
 
Total votes: 23

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3394
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Cornell Class of 2020: section poll added, gtfih

Postby Lavitz » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:06 pm

Image

List of Student Groups

Academic Calendar

Facebook Group

Admitted Students Page

Financial Aid
  • Deadline to submit forms: March 15, 2017.
  • Info available on this page.


Admitted Students Weekends:

CLSA Portal
  • Links to pretty much everything: Blackboard, Practice Exams, Symplicity, etc.

Myronslist
  • Cornell Law version of craigslist. Buy/sell books, used items, graduation tickets, sublets, etc.

On-Campus Housing
  • If you're interested in on-campus housing that's very close to the law school (literally 1 minute walk), check out 13 South (males only, though)
  • Other options include Maplewood and Hasbrouck, but those are much farther away and probably not worth it.

Off-Campus Housing

Job Resources for SOs

Merchandise
  • The Cornell Store
  • Bear Necessities has a limited selection of law school apparel.
  • CLSA should host an apparel sale during the year, which will have law school specific swag.
  • For good deals on used textbooks, check out Kraftees.

Dining

Traveling

Questions?

Image
Last edited by Lavitz on Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:37 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Chipotle85
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:13 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2020

Postby Chipotle85 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:33 pm

Checking in!!

Rubbishdump
Posts: 310
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:16 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2020

Postby Rubbishdump » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:36 pm

Checking in, stoked

User avatar
Tycho
Posts: 329
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:30 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2020

Postby Tycho » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:22 pm

Current 1L here and I'm very happy with my choice. I'll try to help with questions/concerns you folks might have.

User avatar
dietcoke1
Posts: 1316
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:18 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2020

Postby dietcoke1 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:57 pm

in! hoping for a more positive thread here than the applicant thread has been lately.....

User avatar
btruj777
Posts: 332
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:31 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2020

Postby btruj777 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:08 pm

Checking In!!

User avatar
cantexplaingottago
Posts: 152
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:14 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2020

Postby cantexplaingottago » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:49 pm

1L here, would also recommend www.jamesorcutt.com as a source for housing. If you have any questions about moving cross-country to get here, I'd be happy to answer them.

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3394
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2020

Postby Lavitz » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:05 pm

cantexplaingottago wrote:1L here, would also recommend http://www.jamesorcutt.com as a source for housing. If you have any questions about moving cross-country to get here, I'd be happy to answer them.

There we go. I was PM'ing someone about cheap housing a while back and couldn't remember this guy's name. Added to OP.

Chipotle85
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:13 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2020

Postby Chipotle85 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:27 pm

How necessary is a car in Ithaca?

Lawschool305
Posts: 149
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:34 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2020

Postby Lawschool305 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:43 pm

Checking in! Thanks for making this Lavitz

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3394
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2020

Postby Lavitz » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:56 pm

Chipotle85 wrote:How necessary is a car in Ithaca?

IMO, very helpful, but plenty of people survive without one. You will almost certainly have multiple friends with cars who can give you a ride. For me, it was most useful for making grocery runs, moving, and giving rides to other people. If you already have a car, I'd keep it for law school, but if not, I don't think I'd go out and buy one.

Chipotle85
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:13 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2020

Postby Chipotle85 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:16 pm

Lavitz wrote:
Chipotle85 wrote:How necessary is a car in Ithaca?

IMO, very helpful, but plenty of people survive without one. You will almost certainly have multiple friends with cars who can give you a ride. For me, it was most useful for making grocery runs, moving, and giving rides to other people. If you already have a car, I'd keep it for law school, but if not, I don't think I'd go out and buy one.

Awesome, thanks for the response and for creating the thread.

User avatar
airwrecka
Posts: 1112
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:54 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2020

Postby airwrecka » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:52 am

Well hello there everyone!

Was anyone else invited to apply for the Hughes Scholarship? I'm trying to work on my "statement of intent" right now, but I'm a little bit at a loss about what to say. I feel like everything has already been covered in the rest of my app and PS...

User avatar
azaleafire
Posts: 350
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:37 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2020

Postby azaleafire » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:11 pm

airwrecka wrote:Well hello there everyone!

Was anyone else invited to apply for the Hughes Scholarship? I'm trying to work on my "statement of intent" right now, but I'm a little bit at a loss about what to say. I feel like everything has already been covered in the rest of my app and PS...


I was and I am on the fence about doing it. On the one hand, close no doors. On the other I have a good offer from a better school in a location I would rather be in so...

My personal statement honestly didn't go too much into future plans and law so thats what my rough draft is covering.

User avatar
airwrecka
Posts: 1112
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:54 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2020

Postby airwrecka » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:18 pm

azaleafire wrote:
airwrecka wrote:Well hello there everyone!

Was anyone else invited to apply for the Hughes Scholarship? I'm trying to work on my "statement of intent" right now, but I'm a little bit at a loss about what to say. I feel like everything has already been covered in the rest of my app and PS...


I was and I am on the fence about doing it. On the one hand, close no doors. On the other I have a good offer from a better school in a location I would rather be in so...

My personal statement honestly didn't go too much into future plans and law so thats what my rough draft is covering.


Yeah, I'm not super thrilled about Cornell either (mostly due to the location) but I would think a full ride there could be a really good bargaining chip elsewhere, so I think I'm going to go for it. The only downside is the hassle of flying out to Ithaca for an interview, but if they're going to reimburse travel expenses, I'm willing.

uhwrestler
Posts: 279
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:44 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2020

Postby uhwrestler » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:51 pm

got 60k(20k per year) in scholarship urm with median gpa and 25th lsat

what kind of money did you guys get?

User avatar
feefeeriri
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:32 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2020

Postby feefeeriri » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:30 am

Hey guys,

I'm still waiting on a few more acceptances (or WLs/rejections) so I wanted to submit my FAFSA with all the schools I'm considering at once. But I want to know what Cornell can offer me so does FAFSA let you add the other schools in later, or do you have to do it in one shot?

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3394
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2020

Postby Lavitz » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:13 am

feefeeriri wrote:Hey guys,

I'm still waiting on a few more acceptances (or WLs/rejections) so I wanted to submit my FAFSA with all the schools I'm considering at once. But I want to know what Cornell can offer me so does FAFSA let you add the other schools in later, or do you have to do it in one shot?

IIRC, you can add them later, but why wouldn't you just do it all in one shot now? The other schools won't care if you submit the FAFSA to them without being admitted yet.

User avatar
CR7
Posts: 71
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:09 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2020

Postby CR7 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:10 pm

Checking in! Def planning to visit in April.

Chipotle85
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:13 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2020

Postby Chipotle85 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:23 am

Important question: How readily available is Ommegang Witte at the bars near campus? :wink:

charlee4614
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:39 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2020

Postby charlee4614 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:50 pm

uhwrestler wrote:got 60k(20k per year) in scholarship urm with median gpa and 25th lsat

what kind of money did you guys get?




105k, 35k/year.

uhwrestler
Posts: 279
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:44 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2020

Postby uhwrestler » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:01 am

charlee4614 wrote:
uhwrestler wrote:got 60k(20k per year) in scholarship urm with median gpa and 25th lsat

what kind of money did you guys get?




105k, 35k/year.


nice

and do you guys know if cornell is known to be generous when negotiating scholarships?

ZVBXRPL
Posts: 581
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:15 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2020

Postby ZVBXRPL » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:10 am

charlee4614 wrote:
uhwrestler wrote:got 60k(20k per year) in scholarship urm with median gpa and 25th lsat

what kind of money did you guys get?




105k, 35k/year.

Can u pm numbers? Tysm

User avatar
Tycho
Posts: 329
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:30 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2020

Postby Tycho » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:23 pm

uhwrestler wrote:and do you guys know if cornell is known to be generous when negotiating scholarships?


From what I understand, they weren't very receptive to it last cycle, but it's still worth a try.

smilingorch
Posts: 85
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:58 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2020

Postby smilingorch » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:13 pm

.
Last edited by smilingorch on Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:27 am, edited 3 times in total.


Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest