Duke Law Class of 2020 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

what section are you in?

50%
No votes
No votes
No votes
50%
No votes

Total votes: 4

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Re: Duke Law Class of 2020

Post by Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:36 am

anybody in the first week of interviews got any updates? Trying to gauge timeline to when status checker goes blank.

TexasENG

Silver

Post by TexasENG » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:49 am

Last edited by TexasENG on Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

premalone

New

Post by premalone » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:31 pm

Any insight on how generous Duke is generally with both need-based and merit-based scholarships? I'm pretty certain I want to go but would be really uneasy about paying sticker...

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Post by Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:26 pm

premalone wrote:Any insight on how generous Duke is generally with both need-based and merit-based scholarships? I'm pretty certain I want to go but would be really uneasy about paying sticker...
Sorry to give you notification without any answer, but I would also like to know this. I can figure a general my stats should afford me, but in general how is Duke known on the scholarship stingy/generous scale in general

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:07 pm

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:
premalone wrote:Any insight on how generous Duke is generally with both need-based and merit-based scholarships? I'm pretty certain I want to go but would be really uneasy about paying sticker...
Sorry to give you notification without any answer, but I would also like to know this. I can figure a general my stats should afford me, but in general how is Duke known on the scholarship stingy/generous scale in general
consensus is that Duke is much closer to the generous side. given Duke's lower COL, a lower scholly at Duke is often better than a slightly higher one at the other mid T14s.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TexasENG

Silver

Post by TexasENG » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:45 pm

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:47 pm

TexasENG wrote:Hoping they mailed the schollie decisions out prior to updating the tracker. It would be great to have some info by the weekend.
they just need to use one-day shipping imo

TexasENG

Silver

Post by TexasENG » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:52 pm

Christinabruin

Bronze

Post by Christinabruin » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:28 pm

ASW schedule and travel subsidy info is finally out!! The travel stipend guideline is pretty detailed compared to others but still I'm glad it seems to have increased from previous years!

Here it is for reference:

We encourage you to arrive on Thursday for optional programming (including class visits and a reception celebrating the diversity of the Duke Law community) as well stay until Saturday to learn about life in Durham from our students and to go on a tour of some of local apartment complexes. Our travel subsidy is only available to admitted students who are able to experience the full program on Friday, March 24th (from 8:30AM - 7:00PM). Your flight itinerary must meet ALL of following criteria in order to be eligible for a subsidy:

-arrive at RDU before 8:30AM on Friday, March 24th
-depart from RDU after 7:30PM on Friday, March 24th
-include no layovers in another city of 1 day or longer
-return to your home airport

You are eligible for a subsidy of up to $300 of your travel costs (based on supporting receipts/mileage) if you are traveling from any of the following states: AL, DC, DE, GA, MD, MA, NC, NY, NJ, SC, VT, VA, and WV.

You are eligible for a subsidy of up to $350 of your travel costs (based on supporting receipts/mileage) if you are traveling from any of the following states: AZ, AR, CT, FL, KY, IL, IN, IA, LA, ME, MI, MN, MS, MO, NH, ND, OH, OK, PA, RI, SD, and TN.

You are eligible for a subsidy of up to $400 of your travel costs (based on supporting receipts/mileage) if you are traveling from any of the following states or from another country: AK, CA, CO, HI, ID, KS, MT, NE, NV, NM, OR, TX, UT, WA, WI, and WY.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

feefeeriri

New

Post by feefeeriri » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:04 am

Is anyone going to the admitted student event in NYC in March?

CHyde

Bronze

Post by CHyde » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:23 am

Last edited by CHyde on Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xandra_v

Bronze

Post by xandra_v » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:24 am

I will be on work travel for the DC event, and on a pre-planned (and paid for) vacation during ASW. Ugh!!

rizzlebizness

Bronze

Post by rizzlebizness » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:55 pm

Booked my flight/hotel for ASW in March. See you all there!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

eck456

Bronze

Post by eck456 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:25 pm

Hey all,

To clarify, is the way to see if they mailed your scholarship letter to check "mailings" under the admissions status check? Thanks!

Stephylynette

Bronze

Post by Stephylynette » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:37 am

Got *blessed* with an extremely generous scholarship offer last week so I'm checking in!

Has anyone started to seriously look into housing yet? All I've read about is Duke's insanely low COL but every 1 bed/1 ba I find is at least $781 (for the oldest, grossest apt at Pinnacle) and most hover somewhere between $1000-1350. I'm coming from a cheap college town in GA where I could get a really nice 1 bedroom for $750 so this isn't low at all to me. I've checked out all the places on Duke Denovo and the prices they apartments have listed online are all telling me the same thing. Am I missing some options or are my expectations just unrealistic? Lol and I am set on living in a 1 bedroom for 1L. Don't want to room w/ someone I dont know and end up miserable and plus I have a large 65lb dog I need to accommodate. I'll probably get a roommate once I know people but right now, I'm only considering 1 bedroom apartments/townhomes.

Regardless of housing costs though, I'll most likely be in Durham in the fall and I'll be going to ASW in March. See you guys there! :D

joeytribbiani

Bronze

Post by joeytribbiani » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:41 pm

Stephylynette wrote:Got *blessed* with an extremely generous scholarship offer last week so I'm checking in!

Has anyone started to seriously look into housing yet? All I've read about is Duke's insanely low COL but every 1 bed/1 ba I find is at least $781 (for the oldest, grossest apt at Pinnacle) and most hover somewhere between $1000-1350. I'm coming from a cheap college town in GA where I could get a really nice 1 bedroom for $750 so this isn't low at all to me. I've checked out all the places on Duke Denovo and the prices they apartments have listed online are all telling me the same thing. Am I missing some options or are my expectations just unrealistic? Lol and I am set on living in a 1 bedroom for 1L. Don't want to room w/ someone I dont know and end up miserable and plus I have a large 65lb dog I need to accommodate. I'll probably get a roommate once I know people but right now, I'm only considering 1 bedroom apartments/townhomes.

Regardless of housing costs though, I'll most likely be in Durham in the fall and I'll be going to ASW in March. See you guys there! :D
I'm also a 0L so I can only speak from what I've found online/what I saw when I visited in January, but the places really close to the school are definitely a bit more. I've found some great options using apartmentlist online, but it sounds like they might also be a bit more expensive than you're used to. (I'm coming from Boston where I once paid $900/month for a shared bedroom in a 5 person house so that much for a 1 bed/1 bath that is way nicer than the house I was in sounds amazing to me.) Either way, check out that website because it lets you put in a lot of preferences and rank how important they are to you. It gives you a batch of places that fit all your preferences and then other batches that fit all the preferences except maybe at a higher price point or maybe it sacrifices one feature. Hope that helps a bit!

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Post by Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:05 pm

Stephylynette wrote:Got *blessed* with an extremely generous scholarship offer last week so I'm checking in!

Yeah, when I first heard about Durham's COL I was thinking Tallahassee levels of cheap, and was slightly disappointed. That said, I pay $1100 to split a 2 BR 3 ways right now so these prices seem pretty good.

I'll second Joey's recommendation to look a little bit further out for cheaper options

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Post by Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:08 pm

Can any of our current students speak about the Duke admitted students events? I will most likely be coming from work where a tie but not suit is expected (ie would look weird if I randomly wore a suit). Is that dress code fine?

Stephylynette

Bronze

Post by Stephylynette » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:04 pm

joeytribbiani wrote:

I'm also a 0L so I can only speak from what I've found online/what I saw when I visited in January, but the places really close to the school are definitely a bit more. I've found some great options using apartmentlist online, but it sounds like they might also be a bit more expensive than you're used to. (I'm coming from Boston where I once paid $900/month for a shared bedroom in a 5 person house so that much for a 1 bed/1 bath that is way nicer than the house I was in sounds amazing to me.) Either way, check out that website because it lets you put in a lot of preferences and rank how important they are to you. It gives you a batch of places that fit all your preferences and then other batches that fit all the preferences except maybe at a higher price point or maybe it sacrifices one feature. Hope that helps a bit!
I'm definitely gonna check out that website. Thanks for the advice!

Stephylynette

Bronze

Post by Stephylynette » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:06 pm

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:

Yeah, when I first heard about Durham's COL I was thinking Tallahassee levels of cheap, and was slightly disappointed. That said, I pay $1100 to split a 2 BR 3 ways right now so these prices seem pretty good.

I'll second Joey's recommendation to look a little bit further out for cheaper options
Lol same! Athens was super cheap so that's what I was expecting. But Durham is still significantly better than most other T-14 options so I'm still looking forward to it. I guess, in comparison, less than $1200 for a 1bed/1ba is not too bad

kiwi50

Bronze

Post by kiwi50 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:31 pm

Last edited by kiwi50 on Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:32 pm

kiwi50 wrote:Without expecting it, I got an awesome Duke "Blueprint" t-shirt in the mail today. Duke, you rock!
omg jealous!

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Post by Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:13 pm

What's the ASW plans everyone? Anybody down to split a hotel/get more info on rooming with current students?

GOODWORKSTE

New

Post by GOODWORKSTE » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:21 pm

Has everyone ITT decided / committed to go?

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:36 pm

GOODWORKSTE wrote:Has everyone ITT decided / committed to go?
if my negotiations work out I will probably be attending

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”