UVA Class of 2020 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)
dxgriffin

New

Re: UVA Class of 2020

Post by dxgriffin » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:42 pm

S.Picquery wrote:
Anonymous Ivy Grad wrote:I'm very interested to hear if anyone has been successful in getting UVA to reconsider and/or increase a scholarship award this year.

I tried to negotiate my scholarship and got a very nice email telling me they won't be able to increase it. It's not clear to me whether that means that UVA isn't negotiating with anyone, or whether they're just choosing not to negotiate with me (either because of the scholarship offer I showed them or because of who they need in next year's class).
They are considering upping certain schollies after the deposit deadline, but not for many. The way it was put to me in-person was "the scholarship committee has gone home until then." So unless something about your app has changed, I doubt they'll negotiate right now. Although, I would wait til a day or two before the deposit deadline, because that's when they start to hustle again.
Just to add to this - I emailed Grace today to ask if there's any chance to negotiate a scholarship increase, and was told (1) UVA's policy is not to negotiate scholarships, and (2) the scholarship committee has spent its budget for the year. This could explain why they're waiting until after the deposit deadline to reallocate scholarship money.

ray.bee

Bronze

Post by ray.bee » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:56 pm

Purple Post It Note wrote:I'd like to take time the time to wish a big happy birthday to UVA's beloved founder TJ. :)
+180

EWofNell

Bronze

Post by EWofNell » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:29 pm

AdieuCali wrote:
LawMan16 wrote:
RParadela wrote:Whatever happened to SweetTort? That dude just disappeared
Too busy rolling in all of that Dillard money.
He got into Yale irl
Did he actually? Thought he withdrew all other apps

LawMan16

New

Post by LawMan16 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:38 pm

For those who attended ASW - was there any guidance on how many students they plan to enroll this year? I assume ~300 remains the target, and that there are no plans to return to the larger classes of yore.

AdieuCali

Bronze

Post by AdieuCali » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:41 pm

EWofNell wrote:
AdieuCali wrote:
LawMan16 wrote:
RParadela wrote:Whatever happened to SweetTort? That dude just disappeared
Too busy rolling in all of that Dillard money.
He got into Yale irl
Did he actually? Thought he withdrew all other apps
I saw a thread a few weeks ago where he asked about Dillard vs Yale sticker and said he had a tough choice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nimbus cloud

Silver

Post by nimbus cloud » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:08 pm

AdieuCali wrote: I saw a thread a few weeks ago where he asked about Dillard vs Yale sticker and said he had a tough choice.
Can confirm he is going to Yale.

AdieuCali

Bronze

Post by AdieuCali » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:47 pm

nimbus cloud wrote:
AdieuCali wrote: I saw a thread a few weeks ago where he asked about Dillard vs Yale sticker and said he had a tough choice.
He belongs to the ages now.

RParadela

Silver

Post by RParadela » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:04 pm

Just deposited. Shit is real now :shock:

gilmoregirlrevival

New

Post by gilmoregirlrevival » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:40 pm

Last edited by gilmoregirlrevival on Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

VirginiaFan

New

Post by VirginiaFan » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:47 pm

Last edited by VirginiaFan on Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

RParadela

Silver

Post by RParadela » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:00 pm

I found SweetTort's account but I don't want to out him

AdieuCali

Bronze

Post by AdieuCali » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:50 pm

RParadela wrote:I found SweetTort's account but I don't want to out him
Pulling a Nunes

Keilz

Gold

Post by Keilz » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:33 am

RParadela wrote:I found SweetTort's account but I don't want to out him
Someone outed him in another thread

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TLS_Dreamer

New

Post by TLS_Dreamer » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:51 pm

dxgriffin wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:
Anonymous Ivy Grad wrote:I'm very interested to hear if anyone has been successful in getting UVA to reconsider and/or increase a scholarship award this year.

I tried to negotiate my scholarship and got a very nice email telling me they won't be able to increase it. It's not clear to me whether that means that UVA isn't negotiating with anyone, or whether they're just choosing not to negotiate with me (either because of the scholarship offer I showed them or because of who they need in next year's class).
They are considering upping certain schollies after the deposit deadline, but not for many. The way it was put to me in-person was "the scholarship committee has gone home until then." So unless something about your app has changed, I doubt they'll negotiate right now. Although, I would wait til a day or two before the deposit deadline, because that's when they start to hustle again.
Just to add to this - I emailed Grace today to ask if there's any chance to negotiate a scholarship increase, and was told (1) UVA's policy is not to negotiate scholarships, and (2) the scholarship committee has spent its budget for the year. This could explain why they're waiting until after the deposit deadline to reallocate scholarship money.
How do you negotiate after the deposit deadline?

EWofNell

Bronze

Post by EWofNell » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:23 pm

TLS_Dreamer wrote:
dxgriffin wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:

They said this to me too and I'm pretty confused about it.

RParadela

Silver

Post by RParadela » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:36 pm

EWofNell wrote:
TLS_Dreamer wrote:
dxgriffin wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:

Well, depositing isn't a binding decision. You can always defer your decision til next cycle or you could double deposit and then later withdraw from UVA

TLS_Dreamer

New

Post by TLS_Dreamer » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:02 pm

RParadela wrote:
EWofNell wrote:
TLS_Dreamer wrote:
dxgriffin wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:
Anonymous Ivy Grad wrote: Just to add to this - I emailed Grace today to ask if there's any chance to negotiate a scholarship increase, and was told (1) UVA's policy is not to negotiate scholarships, and (2) the scholarship committee has spent its budget for the year. This could explain why they're waiting until after the deposit deadline to reallocate scholarship money.
Well, depositing isn't a binding decision. You can always defer your decision til next cycle or you could double deposit and then later withdraw from UVA
But if you double deposit UVA will be notified and will rescind their offer...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

AdieuCali

Bronze

Post by AdieuCali » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:27 pm

TLS_Dreamer wrote:
RParadela wrote:
EWofNell wrote:
TLS_Dreamer wrote:
dxgriffin wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:
Anonymous Ivy Grad wrote: Just to add to this - I emailed Grace today to ask if there's any chance to negotiate a scholarship increase, and was told (1) UVA's policy is not to negotiate scholarships, and (2) the scholarship committee has spent its budget for the year. This could explain why they're waiting until after the deposit deadline to reallocate scholarship money.
But if you double deposit UVA will be notified and will rescind their offer...
You can double-deposit as long as you withdraw from all other schools by May 17 (or request a waiver for a later date)
Deposits at Multiple Law Schools
After May 17, the Law School reserves the right to cancel the matriculation of any admitted student who is reserving seats in both our entering class and the entering class of another law school. We discourage such “double-depositing” prior to May 17, but prohibit it after that date, barring exceptional circumstances.

If you believe you have exceptional circumstances that merit double-depositing after May 17, you must write the Admissions Office at lawadmit@virginia.edu prior to May 17 to obtain permission to remain deposited at both schools.

Pozzo

Gold

Post by Pozzo » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:12 pm

AdieuCali wrote:
nimbus cloud wrote:
Wow. Well done, Tort, wherever you are.

EWofNell

Bronze

Post by EWofNell » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:41 pm

Pozzo wrote:
AdieuCali wrote:
nimbus cloud wrote:
Where are you off to Pozzo?

Pozzo

Gold

Post by Pozzo » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:47 pm

EWofNell wrote:
Pozzo wrote:
AdieuCali wrote:
nimbus cloud wrote:
Looking more like H with each passing day! So excited!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

EWofNell

Bronze

Post by EWofNell » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:53 pm

Pozzo wrote:
EWofNell wrote:
Pozzo wrote:
AdieuCali wrote:
nimbus cloud wrote:
Looking more like H with each passing day! So excited!
congrats!!

EWofNell

Bronze

Post by EWofNell » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:53 pm

have we received any documentation about when orientation is? The website still says TBD but I want to make sure that my lease begins early enough.

RParadela

Silver

Post by RParadela » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:59 pm

EWofNell wrote:have we received any documentation about when orientation is? The website still says TBD but I want to make sure that my lease begins early enough.
Where are you living? I'm pretty sure Ivy starts in July

VirginiaFan

New

Post by VirginiaFan » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:59 pm

Last edited by VirginiaFan on Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”