We're A1L mad here - TLS C/O 2020 Thread [New Pole]

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

What Classes Do You Have This Semester?

Ks
65
16%
Crim
52
13%
Civ Pro
82
20%
Torts
58
14%
Property
39
10%
Con Law
20
5%
LRW
85
21%
 
Total votes: 401

User avatar
Mr_Chukes

Silver
Posts: 1160
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:01 pm

Re: Down the rabbit h0Le - TLS C/O 2020 Thread [New Poll]

Postby Mr_Chukes » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:28 pm

Would love to be in-house at Google.

User avatar
brinicolec

Gold
Posts: 4480
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Down the rabbit h0Le - TLS C/O 2020 Thread [New Poll]

Postby brinicolec » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:39 pm

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:
RParadela wrote:Curious, what and where are all of your career goals? I feel like there's a lot of PI folks in this class for whatever reason


I feel like there's always a high number of people who enter with PI aspirations until the prospects of going through a 3 year degree to make so little with loan repayment programs as a bright side hit them like brick wall.

Personally I think I want appellate level litigation (I'll settle for a liberal Big Law firm at this point)


I'm someone who had PI aspirations until I realized how bad the salary is. Now I'm torn between my PI aspirations and doing something lit-related in BL.

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver
Posts: 1297
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:27 pm

Re: Down the rabbit h0Le - TLS C/O 2020 Thread [New Poll]

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:43 pm

brinicolec wrote:
Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:
RParadela wrote:Curious, what and where are all of your career goals? I feel like there's a lot of PI folks in this class for whatever reason


I feel like there's always a high number of people who enter with PI aspirations until the prospects of going through a 3 year degree to make so little with loan repayment programs as a bright side hit them like brick wall.

Personally I think I want appellate level litigation (I'll settle for a liberal Big Law firm at this point)


I'm someone who had PI aspirations until I realized how bad the salary is. Now I'm torn between my PI aspirations and doing something lit-related in BL.


Yeah, I'm still toying with PI, though at this point I have to take worst PI prospects in T14 or like 2nd best PI prospects in T14 so I think I have to face the music and go all in on getting BL lit that won't cause me to sell out every conviction I have

User avatar
airwrecka

Silver
Posts: 1118
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:54 pm

Re: Down the rabbit h0Le - TLS C/O 2020 Thread [New Poll]

Postby airwrecka » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:45 pm

I hope this doesn't come off as sounding condescending or judgmental or anything, but I am legitimately curious about it:

for those of you going into BL, how are you justifying the absolutely terrible work/life balance? I know the $$$ makes it worth it for some, but I don't really understand the point of $$$ if you are completely miserable and glued to your job. and I know some people need to pay of student loans--but why not go to a lower ranked law school on a full ride and then have the opportunity to practice in an area you might actually be interested (or at least somewhere with better hours/work environment) and make a little less? have I made BL worse in my mind than it actually is? :?

I guess I'm surprised there aren't more people who are interested in something between the $$$ of BL and the poverty of PI.
Last edited by airwrecka on Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver
Posts: 1297
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:27 pm

Re: Down the rabbit h0Le - TLS C/O 2020 Thread [New Poll]

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:46 pm

So Close to 1K and I don't want to make Guy change my flair in the destinations thread. Shit posting is more important than my real job RN

User avatar
chandhi

Gold
Posts: 1899
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:29 pm

Re: Down the rabbit h0Le - TLS C/O 2020 Thread [New Poll]

Postby chandhi » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:48 pm

airwrecka wrote:I hope this doesn't come off as sounding condescending or judgmental or anything, but I am legitimately curious about it:

for those of you going into BL, how are you justifying the absolutely terrible work/life balance? I know the $$$ makes it worth it for some, but I don't really understand the point of $$$ if you are completely miserable and glued to your job. and I know some people need to pay of student loans--but why not go to a lower ranked law school on a full ride and then have the opportunity to practice in an area you might actually be interested (or at least somewhere with better hours/work environment) and make a little less? have I made BL worse in my mind than it actually is? :?

I guess I'm surprised there aren't more people who are interested in something between the $$$ of BL and the poverty of PI.

I am wondering this as well. Is it a prestige thing? No judgment if yes.

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver
Posts: 1297
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:27 pm

Re: Down the rabbit h0Le - TLS C/O 2020 Thread [New Poll]

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:49 pm

airwrecka wrote:I hope this doesn't come off as sounding condescending or judgmental or anything, but I am legitimately curious about it:

for those of you going into BL, how are you justifying the absolutely terrible work/life balance? I know the $$$ makes it worth it for some, but I don't really understand the point of $$$ if you are completely miserable and glued to your job. or maybe I've made BL worse in my mind than it actually is :?

I guess I'm surprised there aren't more people who are interested in something between the $$$ of BL and the poverty of PI.


A) Busy season for my job is pretty similar to bad BL in terms of hours and commitment requirements, so I know what it's like and that I can survive at least some amount of it.

B) I'm young and it's great experience to have if you can push through the shit (my profession also fellates prestige as much as law does, so I know this is important)

C) I would take mid-law in the secondary market I'm targeting any day of the week, but I know I need to be prepared for BL and that even Mid Law is not much better.

User avatar
poptart123

Silver
Posts: 1152
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:31 pm

Re: Down the rabbit h0Le - TLS C/O 2020 Thread [New Poll]

Postby poptart123 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:51 pm

airwrecka wrote:I hope this doesn't come off as sounding condescending or judgmental or anything, but I am legitimately curious about it:

for those of you going into BL, how are you justifying the absolutely terrible work/life balance? I know the $$$ makes it worth it for some, but I don't really understand the point of $$$ if you are completely miserable and glued to your job. and I know some people need to pay of student loans--but why not go to a lower ranked law school on a full ride and then have the opportunity to practice in an area you might actually be interested (or at least somewhere with better hours/work environment) and make a little less? have I made BL worse in my mind than it actually is? :?

I guess I'm surprised there aren't more people who are interested in something between the $$$ of BL and the poverty of PI.


Exit opportunities and establishing a good nest egg

User avatar
brinicolec

Gold
Posts: 4480
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Down the rabbit h0Le - TLS C/O 2020 Thread [New Poll]

Postby brinicolec » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:56 pm

airwrecka wrote:I hope this doesn't come off as sounding condescending or judgmental or anything, but I am legitimately curious about it:

for those of you going into BL, how are you justifying the absolutely terrible work/life balance? I know the $$$ makes it worth it for some, but I don't really understand the point of $$$ if you are completely miserable and glued to your job. and I know some people need to pay of student loans--but why not go to a lower ranked law school on a full ride and then have the opportunity to practice in an area you might actually be interested (or at least somewhere with better hours/work environment) and make a little less? have I made BL worse in my mind than it actually is? :?

I guess I'm surprised there aren't more people who are interested in something between the $$$ of BL and the poverty of PI.


Welp. I'm not married (or even dating anyone) and have no kids (unless we count pets as kids, in which case I have one), so I don't have to worry about that aspect of life lol. I'm also not really concerned about the work/life balance. I think BL can also just be a necessary stepping stone to get to some prestigious exit jobs that I'd possibly be interested in so.. I'd rather have it on my resume and deal for a few years and be able to use it to get a job I might want than go somewhere where BL is not likely, miss it, and have difficulty getting jobs I might want because I don't have firm work on my resume. Also, being a minority (AA), I'm really into the idea of representation and think that 1) being being one of few minorities at any given T13, especially Michigan since they don't have affirmative action anymore, and 2) possibly being one of few minorities at a big law firm is important, especially if I DO end up having kids someday (who knows lol). Growing up, I wanted to be a lawyer but I don't have any family who practices law and I don't really know any minorities who practice law either and I think having that representation helps.

Edit: And $$$$
Last edited by brinicolec on Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Gitaroo_Dude

Silver
Posts: 546
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:06 pm

Re: Down the rabbit h0Le - TLS C/O 2020 Thread [New Poll]

Postby Gitaroo_Dude » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:58 pm

airwrecka wrote:I hope this doesn't come off as sounding condescending or judgmental or anything, but I am legitimately curious about it:

for those of you going into BL, how are you justifying the absolutely terrible work/life balance? I know the $$$ makes it worth it for some, but I don't really understand the point of $$$ if you are completely miserable and glued to your job. and I know some people need to pay of student loans--but why not go to a lower ranked law school on a full ride and then have the opportunity to practice in an area you might actually be interested (or at least somewhere with better hours/work environment) and make a little less? have I made BL worse in my mind than it actually is? :?

I guess I'm surprised there aren't more people who are interested in something between the $$$ of BL and the poverty of PI.


If I ended up doing BL, it'd be for the following reasons:

1. Basically the only steady, dependable hiring pipeline right now. There's a defined structure in place that plays out each year through OCI, callbacks, etc. With PI you're kinda out in the wind for a while, midlaw is hard to secure coming right out of school, but with BL you generally know if you have a job lined up for graduation or not pretty early on. That security is attractive.

2. Exit opportunities. BL offers some of the best exit options and allows you to build up a solid network.

3. $$$$. It'll allow me to pay off my debt quickly, rebuild the savings I depleted for tuition, and jumpstart my retirement savings.

Prestige means little to me, though I suppose it has some relation to reason #2 for me.
Last edited by Gitaroo_Dude on Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
RParadela

Silver
Posts: 858
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:04 am

Re: Down the rabbit h0Le - TLS C/O 2020 Thread [New Poll]

Postby RParadela » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:59 pm

airwrecka wrote:I hope this doesn't come off as sounding condescending or judgmental or anything, but I am legitimately curious about it:

for those of you going into BL, how are you justifying the absolutely terrible work/life balance? I know the $$$ makes it worth it for some, but I don't really understand the point of $$$ if you are completely miserable and glued to your job. and I know some people need to pay of student loans--but why not go to a lower ranked law school on a full ride and then have the opportunity to practice in an area you might actually be interested (or at least somewhere with better hours/work environment) and make a little less? have I made BL worse in my mind than it actually is? :?

I guess I'm surprised there aren't more people who are interested in something between the $$$ of BL and the poverty of PI.


From what I've seen, if you avoid the sweatshop offices and particularly if you can avoid NYC, your hours aren't that terrible (60ish hours a week on average). I'm perfectly fine with working 60 hours a week on something that I find substantive (so lit and not transactional bs) for which I'm being paid one of the highest starting salaries possible. Plus, I have the personality and goals to do perfectly fine in BigLaw. I extremely non-commital in relationships which means I rarely have a long-term girlfriend and I have 0 plans to ever get married. Being single, young (I'll be 24 as a 1st year associate) and hungry is as good of a recipe to deal with BigLaw IMO.

Plus, I have a unique family situation which gives me really good exit ops if I want to leave BigLaw

User avatar
chandhi

Gold
Posts: 1899
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:29 pm

Re: Down the rabbit h0Le - TLS C/O 2020 Thread [New Poll]

Postby chandhi » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:02 pm

brinicolec wrote: Also, being a minority (AA), I'm really into the idea of representation and think that 1) being being one of few minorities at any given T13, especially Michigan since they don't have affirmative action anymore, and 2) possibly being one of few minorities at a big law firm is important, especially if I DO end up having kids someday (who knows lol). Growing up, I wanted to be a lawyer but I don't have any family who practices law and I don't really know any minorities who practice law either and I think having that representation helps.

*endless hand clapping emojis*

We need so many more WoC in all areas of law. Representation matters.

User avatar
brinicolec

Gold
Posts: 4480
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Down the rabbit h0Le - TLS C/O 2020 Thread [New Poll]

Postby brinicolec » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:02 pm

chandhi wrote:
brinicolec wrote: Also, being a minority (AA), I'm really into the idea of representation and think that 1) being being one of few minorities at any given T13, especially Michigan since they don't have affirmative action anymore, and 2) possibly being one of few minorities at a big law firm is important, especially if I DO end up having kids someday (who knows lol). Growing up, I wanted to be a lawyer but I don't have any family who practices law and I don't really know any minorities who practice law either and I think having that representation helps.

*endless hand clapping emojis*

We need so many more WoC in all areas of law. Representation matters.


Yeah I definitely agree! I'd LOVE to be able to be a black female partner, although I know it's not likely.

My dad's one of few black generals in the Air Force and I always love hearing/seeing young black men who are like "Wow I've never met a black general before!" or like the pictures of little black girls next to black Disney princesses or whatever else. Or how Cam Newton was reppin for black QBs (he's fallen into the sunken place since then but uhhhhhh lol) & little black boys were wearing "Super Cam" stuff and everything.

Black kids joy >>>>>>

Lol

User avatar
airwrecka

Silver
Posts: 1118
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:54 pm

Re: Down the rabbit h0Le - TLS C/O 2020 Thread [New Poll]

Postby airwrecka » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:15 pm

Thank you all for responding so thoroughly! You've almost convinced me to consider BL myself :lol: ;)

brinicolec wrote:
chandhi wrote:
brinicolec wrote: Also, being a minority (AA), I'm really into the idea of representation and think that 1) being being one of few minorities at any given T13, especially Michigan since they don't have affirmative action anymore, and 2) possibly being one of few minorities at a big law firm is important, especially if I DO end up having kids someday (who knows lol). Growing up, I wanted to be a lawyer but I don't have any family who practices law and I don't really know any minorities who practice law either and I think having that representation helps.

*endless hand clapping emojis*

We need so many more WoC in all areas of law. Representation matters.


Yeah I definitely agree! I'd LOVE to be able to be a black female partner, although I know it's not likely.

My dad's one of few black generals in the Air Force and I always love hearing/seeing young black men who are like "Wow I've never met a black general before!" or like the pictures of little black girls next to black Disney princesses or whatever else. Or how Cam Newton was reppin for black QBs (he's fallen into the sunken place since then but uhhhhhh lol) & little black boys were wearing "Super Cam" stuff and everything.

Black kids joy >>>>>>

Lol


I love this bri! I agree that representation is SUPER important, and I would love love love to hear that you become partner someday! :D

User avatar
Stylnator

Silver
Posts: 503
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:26 pm

Re: Down the rabbit h0Le - TLS C/O 2020 Thread [New Poll]

Postby Stylnator » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:29 pm

airwrecka wrote:Thank you all for responding so thoroughly! You've almost convinced me to consider BL myself :lol: ;)

brinicolec wrote:
chandhi wrote:
brinicolec wrote: Also, being a minority (AA), I'm really into the idea of representation and think that 1) being being one of few minorities at any given T13, especially Michigan since they don't have affirmative action anymore, and 2) possibly being one of few minorities at a big law firm is important, especially if I DO end up having kids someday (who knows lol). Growing up, I wanted to be a lawyer but I don't have any family who practices law and I don't really know any minorities who practice law either and I think having that representation helps.

*endless hand clapping emojis*

We need so many more WoC in all areas of law. Representation matters.


Yeah I definitely agree! I'd LOVE to be able to be a black female partner, although I know it's not likely.

My dad's one of few black generals in the Air Force and I always love hearing/seeing young black men who are like "Wow I've never met a black general before!" or like the pictures of little black girls next to black Disney princesses or whatever else. Or how Cam Newton was reppin for black QBs (he's fallen into the sunken place since then but uhhhhhh lol) & little black boys were wearing "Super Cam" stuff and everything.

Black kids joy >>>>>>

Lol


I love this bri! I agree that representation is SUPER important, and I would love love love to hear that you become partner someday! :D


Seriously, snaps to this!! We need more WoC professionals! I really wish I had someone relatable to guide me through the whole law process.

User avatar
brinicolec

Gold
Posts: 4480
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Down the rabbit h0Le - TLS C/O 2020 Thread [New Poll]

Postby brinicolec » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:09 pm

airwrecka wrote:Thank you all for responding so thoroughly! You've almost convinced me to consider BL myself :lol: ;)

brinicolec wrote:
chandhi wrote:
brinicolec wrote: Also, being a minority (AA), I'm really into the idea of representation and think that 1) being being one of few minorities at any given T13, especially Michigan since they don't have affirmative action anymore, and 2) possibly being one of few minorities at a big law firm is important, especially if I DO end up having kids someday (who knows lol). Growing up, I wanted to be a lawyer but I don't have any family who practices law and I don't really know any minorities who practice law either and I think having that representation helps.

*endless hand clapping emojis*

We need so many more WoC in all areas of law. Representation matters.


Yeah I definitely agree! I'd LOVE to be able to be a black female partner, although I know it's not likely.

My dad's one of few black generals in the Air Force and I always love hearing/seeing young black men who are like "Wow I've never met a black general before!" or like the pictures of little black girls next to black Disney princesses or whatever else. Or how Cam Newton was reppin for black QBs (he's fallen into the sunken place since then but uhhhhhh lol) & little black boys were wearing "Super Cam" stuff and everything.

Black kids joy >>>>>>

Lol


I love this bri! I agree that representation is SUPER important, and I would love love love to hear that you become partner someday! :D


Aw, well thanks! Hopefully it's possible! I'm having a phone convo with a black (male) partner on Friday and trying to get ALL the tea :lol:

User avatar
brinicolec

Gold
Posts: 4480
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Down the rabbit h0Le - TLS C/O 2020 Thread [New Poll]

Postby brinicolec » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:11 pm

Stylnator wrote:
airwrecka wrote:Thank you all for responding so thoroughly! You've almost convinced me to consider BL myself :lol: ;)

brinicolec wrote:
chandhi wrote:
brinicolec wrote: Also, being a minority (AA), I'm really into the idea of representation and think that 1) being being one of few minorities at any given T13, especially Michigan since they don't have affirmative action anymore, and 2) possibly being one of few minorities at a big law firm is important, especially if I DO end up having kids someday (who knows lol). Growing up, I wanted to be a lawyer but I don't have any family who practices law and I don't really know any minorities who practice law either and I think having that representation helps.

*endless hand clapping emojis*

We need so many more WoC in all areas of law. Representation matters.


Yeah I definitely agree! I'd LOVE to be able to be a black female partner, although I know it's not likely.

My dad's one of few black generals in the Air Force and I always love hearing/seeing young black men who are like "Wow I've never met a black general before!" or like the pictures of little black girls next to black Disney princesses or whatever else. Or how Cam Newton was reppin for black QBs (he's fallen into the sunken place since then but uhhhhhh lol) & little black boys were wearing "Super Cam" stuff and everything.

Black kids joy >>>>>>

Lol


I love this bri! I agree that representation is SUPER important, and I would love love love to hear that you become partner someday! :D


Seriously, snaps to this!! We need more WoC professionals! I really wish I had someone relatable to guide me through the whole law process.


Definitely. I look forward to being in my career and being able to offer time as a mentor or something to other minority students (especially women) at my alma mater, or even just in general. Like at Michigan they had a current partner at a firm talking at a breakout session about private sector work and he was black and I was just thinking, "Wow, I'd love to pick his brain about how his experience has been as a black man."

User avatar
renc56

Bronze
Posts: 332
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:26 pm

Re: Down the rabbit h0Le - TLS C/O 2020 Thread [New Poll]

Postby renc56 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:24 pm

brinicolec wrote:
Stylnator wrote:
airwrecka wrote:Thank you all for responding so thoroughly! You've almost convinced me to consider BL myself :lol: ;)

brinicolec wrote:
chandhi wrote:
brinicolec wrote: Also, being a minority (AA), I'm really into the idea of representation and think that 1) being being one of few minorities at any given T13, especially Michigan since they don't have affirmative action anymore, and 2) possibly being one of few minorities at a big law firm is important, especially if I DO end up having kids someday (who knows lol). Growing up, I wanted to be a lawyer but I don't have any family who practices law and I don't really know any minorities who practice law either and I think having that representation helps.

*endless hand clapping emojis*

We need so many more WoC in all areas of law. Representation matters.


Yeah I definitely agree! I'd LOVE to be able to be a black female partner, although I know it's not likely.

My dad's one of few black generals in the Air Force and I always love hearing/seeing young black men who are like "Wow I've never met a black general before!" or like the pictures of little black girls next to black Disney princesses or whatever else. Or how Cam Newton was reppin for black QBs (he's fallen into the sunken place since then but uhhhhhh lol) & little black boys were wearing "Super Cam" stuff and everything.

Black kids joy >>>>>>

Lol


I love this bri! I agree that representation is SUPER important, and I would love love love to hear that you become partner someday! :D


Seriously, snaps to this!! We need more WoC professionals! I really wish I had someone relatable to guide me through the whole law process.


Definitely. I look forward to being in my career and being able to offer time as a mentor or something to other minority students (especially women) at my alma mater, or even just in general. Like at Michigan they had a current partner at a firm talking at a breakout session about private sector work and he was black and I was just thinking, "Wow, I'd love to pick his brain about how his experience has been as a black man."


All of the above. While I would like to go into BL (knowing that it's unlikely/hard/likely will hate it) I'm doing it because 1) representation 2) don't have a family of lawyers so there would be extreme judgment if I went into PI/add in "we didn't immigrate here for you to get all this debt and work for x amount" 3) could open doors later that I'd love to get into career-wise 4) a lot of the BL work seems interesting to me on an intellectual level 5) knowing my personality, PI work would emotionally drain me because I would obsess over my work/I'd take it home and take losing for my clients very personally

Edit: I'm tired and so double negatives

User avatar
brinicolec

Gold
Posts: 4480
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Down the rabbit h0Le - TLS C/O 2020 Thread [New Poll]

Postby brinicolec » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:34 pm

renc56 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
Stylnator wrote:
airwrecka wrote:Thank you all for responding so thoroughly! You've almost convinced me to consider BL myself :lol: ;)

brinicolec wrote:
chandhi wrote:
brinicolec wrote: Also, being a minority (AA), I'm really into the idea of representation and think that 1) being being one of few minorities at any given T13, especially Michigan since they don't have affirmative action anymore, and 2) possibly being one of few minorities at a big law firm is important, especially if I DO end up having kids someday (who knows lol). Growing up, I wanted to be a lawyer but I don't have any family who practices law and I don't really know any minorities who practice law either and I think having that representation helps.

*endless hand clapping emojis*

We need so many more WoC in all areas of law. Representation matters.


Yeah I definitely agree! I'd LOVE to be able to be a black female partner, although I know it's not likely.

My dad's one of few black generals in the Air Force and I always love hearing/seeing young black men who are like "Wow I've never met a black general before!" or like the pictures of little black girls next to black Disney princesses or whatever else. Or how Cam Newton was reppin for black QBs (he's fallen into the sunken place since then but uhhhhhh lol) & little black boys were wearing "Super Cam" stuff and everything.

Black kids joy >>>>>>

Lol


I love this bri! I agree that representation is SUPER important, and I would love love love to hear that you become partner someday! :D


Seriously, snaps to this!! We need more WoC professionals! I really wish I had someone relatable to guide me through the whole law process.


Definitely. I look forward to being in my career and being able to offer time as a mentor or something to other minority students (especially women) at my alma mater, or even just in general. Like at Michigan they had a current partner at a firm talking at a breakout session about private sector work and he was black and I was just thinking, "Wow, I'd love to pick his brain about how his experience has been as a black man."


All of the above. While I would like to go into BL (knowing that it's unlikely/hard/likely will hate it) I'm doing it because 1) representation 2) don't have a family of lawyers so there would be extreme judgment if I went into PI/add in "we didn't immigrate here for you to get all this debt and work for x amount" 3) could open doors later that I'd love to get into career-wise 4) a lot of the BL work seems interesting to me on an intellectual level 5) knowing my personality, PI work would emotionally drain me because I would obsess over my work/I'd take it home and take losing for my clients very personally

Edit: I'm tired and so double negatives


I've thought about that a lot as well. I have a serious interest in capital punishment, which is quite literally life or death, and I know that some clients you can't win the case for will even request that you attend their execution and I just don't know if I'd ever be able to do that. But I'm torn because it is something I'm incredibly passionate about and want to try to help make a difference in.

Idk idk idk.

User avatar
renc56

Bronze
Posts: 332
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:26 pm

Re: Down the rabbit h0Le - TLS C/O 2020 Thread [New Poll]

Postby renc56 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:49 pm

brinicolec wrote:
chandhi wrote:
brinicolec wrote: Also, being a minority (AA), I'm really into the idea of representation and think that 1) being being one of few minorities at any given T13, especially Michigan since they don't have affirmative action anymore, and 2) possibly being one of few minorities at a big law firm is important, especially if I DO end up having kids someday (who knows lol). Growing up, I wanted to be a lawyer but I don't have any family who practices law and I don't really know any minorities who practice law either and I think having that representation helps.

*endless hand clapping emojis*

We need so many more WoC in all areas of law. Representation matters.


Yeah I definitely agree! I'd LOVE to be able to be a black female partner, although I know it's not likely.

My dad's one of few black generals in the Air Force and I always love hearing/seeing young black men who are like "Wow I've never met a black general before!" or like the pictures of little black girls next to black Disney princesses or whatever else. Or how Cam Newton was reppin for black QBs (he's fallen into the sunken place since then but uhhhhhh lol) & little black boys were wearing "Super Cam" stuff and everything.

Black kids joy >>>>>>

Lol


I love this bri! I agree that representation is SUPER important, and I would love love love to hear that you become partner someday! :D[/quote]

Seriously, snaps to this!! We need more WoC professionals! I really wish I had someone relatable to guide me through the whole law process.[/quote]

Definitely. I look forward to being in my career and being able to offer time as a mentor or something to other minority students (especially women) at my alma mater, or even just in general. Like at Michigan they had a current partner at a firm talking at a breakout session about private sector work and he was black and I was just thinking, "Wow, I'd love to pick his brain about how his experience has been as a black man."[/quote]

All of the above. While I would like to go into BL (knowing that it's unlikely/hard/likely will hate it) I'm doing it because 1) representation 2) don't have a family of lawyers so there would be extreme judgment if I went into PI/add in "we didn't immigrate here for you to get all this debt and work for x amount" 3) could open doors later that I'd love to get into career-wise 4) a lot of the BL work seems interesting to me on an intellectual level 5) knowing my personality, PI work would emotionally drain me because I would obsess over my work/I'd take it home and take losing for my clients very personally

Edit: I'm tired and so double negatives[/quote]

I've thought about that a lot as well. I have a serious interest in capital punishment, which is quite literally life or death, and I know that some clients you can't win the case for will even request that you attend their execution and I just don't know if I'd ever be able to do that. But I'm torn because it is something I'm incredibly passionate about and want to try to help make a difference in.

Idk idk idk.[/quote]

I have nonprofit work experience and friends who have worked in govt (legal and non-legal for both) and just.. like it sounds bettering the world but it usually means low pay, long hours, lots of stress, disorganization at an institutional level.. For me, going into PI is more likely to make me lose my passion for social justice and make me more cynical. But some people handle this differently and I applaud them for going into PI if it is their passion/have the resources to make this possible.

User avatar
chargers21

Gold
Posts: 3761
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: Down the rabbit h0Le - TLS C/O 2020 Thread [New Poll]

Postby chargers21 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:53 pm

airwrecka wrote:I hope this doesn't come off as sounding condescending or judgmental or anything, but I am legitimately curious about it:

for those of you going into BL, how are you justifying the absolutely terrible work/life balance? I know the $$$ makes it worth it for some, but I don't really understand the point of $$$ if you are completely miserable and glued to your job. and I know some people need to pay of student loans--but why not go to a lower ranked law school on a full ride and then have the opportunity to practice in an area you might actually be interested (or at least somewhere with better hours/work environment) and make a little less? have I made BL worse in my mind than it actually is? :?

I guess I'm surprised there aren't more people who are interested in something between the $$$ of BL and the poverty of PI.

1. most high paying careers that are attainable with education and without connections have bad work/life balance 2. I'm used to the biglaw type of hours 3. debt 4. retirement 5. legit interest in M&A work (yes, I'm the weirdo intentionally going into transactional. it was my goal from the start) 6. exit to in house option 7. small chance at making even more money as a partner 8. justify the hard work 9. learn skills 10. normalized track via OCI 11. preftige :lol: 12. my cold and icy heart would be a disservice to people that need help from an emotional human being :mrgreen:

Lots of reasons :D plus I'm young and single and if I did local PI/gov/small firm work in my home state out of my free t1 school I'd always wonder "what if"

And I know law isn't the way to get rich, but my starting salary would top anything anyone has ever made in my family by a large margin so I really do see it as a way to financially rise up in the world

I'll leave PI to those who really love that type of thing and want to make a difference. I have respect for that

User avatar
brinicolec

Gold
Posts: 4480
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Down the rabbit h0Le - TLS C/O 2020 Thread [New Poll]

Postby brinicolec » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:54 pm

renc56 wrote:
I have nonprofit work experience and friends who have worked in govt (legal and non-legal for both) and just.. like it sounds bettering the world but it usually means low pay, long hours, lots of stress, disorganization at an institutional level.. For me, going into PI is more likely to make me lose my passion for social justice and make me more cynical. But some people handle this differently and I applaud them for going into PI if it is their passion/have the resources to make this possible.


I'm already cynical so that's not a concern of mine :lol: I think the major issue is the $$$ thing.

User avatar
renc56

Bronze
Posts: 332
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:26 pm

Re: Down the rabbit h0Le - TLS C/O 2020 Thread [New Poll]

Postby renc56 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:02 am

brinicolec wrote:
renc56 wrote:
I have nonprofit work experience and friends who have worked in govt (legal and non-legal for both) and just.. like it sounds bettering the world but it usually means low pay, long hours, lots of stress, disorganization at an institutional level.. For me, going into PI is more likely to make me lose my passion for social justice and make me more cynical. But some people handle this differently and I applaud them for going into PI if it is their passion/have the resources to make this possible.


I'm already cynical so that's not a concern of mine :lol: I think the major issue is the $$$ thing.


There's cynicism and then there's nonprofit burn out

*granted I've only worked with small nonprofits in a specific niche so I'm guessing its better elsewhere

Edit: $$$ helps a lot

Keilz

Gold
Posts: 2316
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:35 am

Re: Down the rabbit h0Le - TLS C/O 2020 Thread [New Poll]

Postby Keilz » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:47 am

I'm looking to do pro bono instead of a whole PI job. I work in corporate immigration, and I really don't like working on 80 cases at once. Additionally we have our corporate clients and communicate with them, but then we have the individual employees constantly emailing us and it's really exhausting. I could literally just spend my entire day emailing back and forth. It's so much about volume and juggling hundreds of dates. I don't really want that set up anymore. I would rather have a few major cases and I work on for a year than constantly being bombarded with more and more cases. I still have nightmares that one day I'm going to walk into work and suddenly the client initiates twenty new cases without any warning (has happened before).

My coworker was lucky enough to go to a detention center for a week of pro bono and even with the horrendous stories she heard, by the end of the first week she was feeling burnt out due to the sheer number of cases she was working on.

The type of PI im interested in is not on a case by case level, but with broad impact, like government, being a judge, administrative law in international organizations, etc.

User avatar
Stylnator

Silver
Posts: 503
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:26 pm

Re: Down the rabbit h0Le - TLS C/O 2020 Thread [New Poll]

Postby Stylnator » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:10 am

brinicolec wrote:
renc56 wrote:
I have nonprofit work experience and friends who have worked in govt (legal and non-legal for both) and just.. like it sounds bettering the world but it usually means low pay, long hours, lots of stress, disorganization at an institutional level.. For me, going into PI is more likely to make me lose my passion for social justice and make me more cynical. But some people handle this differently and I applaud them for going into PI if it is their passion/have the resources to make this possible.


I'm already cynical so that's not a concern of mine :lol: I think the major issue is the $$$ thing.



when I graduated college I really really wanted to work for this one NGO and I got SO excited about getting the offer. The only thing is they offered me $20,000/year before taxes and I'd have to work in downtown Chicago (which required me moving from new england and they'd provide no relocation assistance). I ended up taking a corporate job when I couldn't find anything realistic. It's really sad what some of the best organizations have to survive on.



Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests