We're A1L mad here - TLS C/O 2020 Thread [New Pole]

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

What Classes Do You Have This Semester?

Ks
16%
Crim
13%
Civ Pro
20%
Torts
14%
Property
10%
Con Law
5%
LRW
21%

Total votes: 401

chandhi

Gold

Re: Down the rabbit h0Le - TLS C/O 2020 Thread [New Poll]

Postby chandhi » Wed May 10, 2017 8:47 pm

Stephylynette wrote:
chandhi wrote:Legitimately feel bad for everyone who took these tests so young. Y'all had to worry about this shit when you were barely hitting puberty

My middle school had all honors students take it so it wasn't too much pressure. It was for Duke TIP, I think, and I got in. So it was worth it!

Very late congrats on that haha

Monday

Silver

Postby Monday » Wed May 10, 2017 8:51 pm

Last edited by Monday on Wed May 10, 2017 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Wed May 10, 2017 9:05 pm

I scored the highest in my high school class for both the SAT and ACT without studying or practicing. 2000+/31 were my scores. Good enough to get a full ride to my state flagship. Kind of wish I knew more about how much they mattered or about the college application process back then as I do now, because I likely could have objectively done better with both. But oh well, probably wouldn't have gotten my high GPA in college otherwise. I choked the LSAT 2 out of 3 times and am still not completely happy with the decent score I got, but I'd have to sit 2 cycles to retake

RParadela

Silver

Postby RParadela » Wed May 10, 2017 9:15 pm

I was the OG super splitter in my high school days. I had around a 3.0 (unweighted) and a 2160 on the SAT. Freshman and sophomore high school me was a POS

proteinshake

Gold

Postby proteinshake » Wed May 10, 2017 9:37 pm

I had a sub 3.0 and like a 1550 cuz I'm a dumb

waldorf

Gold

Postby waldorf » Wed May 10, 2017 9:59 pm

chargers21 wrote:I scored the highest in my high school class for both the SAT and ACT without studying or practicing. 2000+/31 were my scores. Good enough to get a full ride to my state flagship. Kind of wish I knew more about how much they mattered or about the college application process back then as I do now, because I likely could have objectively done better with both. But oh well, probably wouldn't have gotten my high GPA in college otherwise.

Same. 3.9 (although, my high school was so damn easy that to get below a 3.0, you had to be legitimately stupid or never showing up)/35. Loved my four years of undergrad, but I could've done better for sure. Oh well! I try not to have regrets because I'm really, really happy with life right now and who knows what might be different had I gone elsewhere?

SAT wasn't really taken where I'm from because no one applied to schools for which it was necessary. My home state requires the ACT to graduate, so everyone took it. Multiple people in my class got 11, 12, 13 on their ACT though and TALKED ABOUT IT OPENLY. Getting above a 20 at my high school was considered amazing, and above a 24 was considered genius.

RParadela

Silver

Postby RParadela » Wed May 10, 2017 10:00 pm

bwaldorf wrote:
chargers21 wrote:I scored the highest in my high school class for both the SAT and ACT without studying or practicing. 2000+/31 were my scores. Good enough to get a full ride to my state flagship. Kind of wish I knew more about how much they mattered or about the college application process back then as I do now, because I likely could have objectively done better with both. But oh well, probably wouldn't have gotten my high GPA in college otherwise.

Same. 3.9 (although, my high school was so damn easy that to get below a 3.0, you had to be legitimately stupid or never showing up)/35. Loved my four years of undergrad, but I could've done better for sure. Oh well! I try not to have regrets because I'm really, really happy with life right now and who knows what might be different had I gone elsewhere?

SAT wasn't really taken where I'm from because no one applied to schools for which it was necessary. My home state requires the ACT to graduate, so everyone took it. Multiple people in my class got 11, 12, 13 on their ACT though and TALKED ABOUT IT OPENLY. Getting above a 20 at my high school was considered amazing, and above a 24 was considered genius.

You got a 35 on your ACT?! Isn't a 36 a perfect score?

waldorf

Gold

Postby waldorf » Wed May 10, 2017 10:01 pm

RParadela wrote:
bwaldorf wrote:

Yah. 30 the first time, wanted a full ride, so one of my dad's students tutored me for two hours on the math section (my worst section). Paid him $100 bucks to do so and I got almost a full ride for undergrad. Best investment ever.

RParadela

Silver

Postby RParadela » Wed May 10, 2017 10:03 pm

bwaldorf wrote:
RParadela wrote:
bwaldorf wrote:

Yah. 30 the first time, wanted a full ride, so one of my dad's students tutored me for two hours on the math section (my worst section). Paid him $100 bucks to do so and I got almost a full ride for undergrad. Best investment ever.

Wow, I'm surprised you didn't end up at Princeton, Havard, Yale, etc with those numbers

thatlawlkid

Gold

Postby thatlawlkid » Wed May 10, 2017 10:04 pm

ya'll make me wish i was smarter in HS. 2.9/1760 (one take no prep). just went to my small town undergrad because i didnt even realize there were other options.

waldorf

Gold

Postby waldorf » Wed May 10, 2017 10:05 pm

RParadela wrote:
bwaldorf wrote:
RParadela wrote:
bwaldorf wrote:

Wow, I'm surprised you didn't end up at Princeton, Havard, Yale, etc with those numbers

1) Undergrad admissions, as I'm sure y'all all know, for the very top schools is much more than just a numbers game. I didn't have many extracurriculars because I was a basically full time dancer outside of school. Also harder to get the scholly money.
2) I have known I'd go to law school since I was 5 years old and didn't want any undergrad debt. With how little my tuition was, my dad used my college fund to help with rent and utilities, so with working almost full time I was able to save a lot of money during undergrad. Grateful for that now.

Kinda wish I had at least tried, though.

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Wed May 10, 2017 10:09 pm

Last edited by chargers21 on Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

R. Jeeves

Gold

Postby R. Jeeves » Wed May 10, 2017 10:09 pm

proteinshake wrote:

they let you into [thomas jefferson] tho? i was a supersplitter and i thought my 3.2 made me an autoding - woulda preferred your school to mine

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Wed May 10, 2017 10:11 pm

Last edited by chargers21 on Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

proteinshake

Gold

Postby proteinshake » Wed May 10, 2017 10:12 pm

R. Jeeves wrote:
proteinshake wrote:

they let you into [thomas jefferson] tho? i was a supersplitter and i thought my 3.2 made me an autoding - woulda preferred your school to mine tbh

transferred. I knew Thomas Jefferson was not an option for me right out of HS.

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Wed May 10, 2017 10:15 pm

RParadela wrote:I was the OG super splitter in my high school days. I had around a 3.0 (unweighted) and a 2160 on the SAT. Freshman and sophomore high school me was a POS

Right there with you, 3.1 unweighted 2090 sat. Of course highschool weight was such a joke I had like a 4.3 weighted

I was a shit student freshman year cuz the preftige got to my head
Last edited by Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash on Wed May 10, 2017 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RParadela

Silver

Postby RParadela » Wed May 10, 2017 10:16 pm

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:
RParadela wrote:I was the OG super splitter in my high school days. I had around a 3.0 (unweighted) and a 2160 on the SAT. Freshman and sophomore high school me was a POS

Right there with you, 3.1 unweighted 2090 sat. Of course highschool weight was such a joke I had like a 4.3 weighted

Shit, if I were going to Duke you and I would have almost identical educational paths lol

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Postby Hikikomorist » Wed May 10, 2017 10:19 pm

bwaldorf wrote:

What's your LSAT (if you feel comfortable sharing)?

waldorf

Gold

Postby waldorf » Wed May 10, 2017 10:23 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:
bwaldorf wrote:

What's your LSAT (if you feel comfortable sharing)?

I'll PM.

I took it twice, most recently this February, and bumped my score 8 points. I crammed for a month the first time I took it because I had no knowledge about the LSAT other than that it was a standardized test and I had killed the only standardized test I'd taken before so, why would I need some 3-4 month study plan? I also had some major anxiety on test day and ran out of time on RC, which killed me. Cockiness + anxiety = not as well as I could have done.

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Wed May 10, 2017 10:24 pm

RParadela wrote:
Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:

Shit, if I were going to Duke you and I would have almost identical educational paths lol

Lol, UVA can't really get much closer (I guess technically nu is closer, but UVA feels more similar)

R. Jeeves

Gold

Postby R. Jeeves » Wed May 10, 2017 10:25 pm

proteinshake wrote:
R. Jeeves wrote:
proteinshake wrote:

they let you into [thomas jefferson] tho? i was a supersplitter and i thought my 3.2 made me an autoding - woulda preferred your school to mine tbh

transferred. I knew Thomas Jefferson was not an option for me right out of HS.

ah gotcha

waldorf

Gold

Postby waldorf » Wed May 10, 2017 10:29 pm

Topic change.

My dad was my absolute best friend, mentor, partner in crime, and raised me by himself - giving up a lot of career goals in the process. Him and my uncle were both successful attorneys and I'm the only kid in between both of them to even express an interest in law, let alone attend law school. They both loved their careers and were so excited to see me take an interest. My dad passed out of nowhere last fall, and my very first day of law school - at the school he literally dreamed of me attending - will be on the first anniversary of his death.

I know, you're sorry, it's fine, I'm not asking for sympathy. It's just so weird!

I'm not super religious or superstitious but I hope that's a good sign?

baseballfan660

Bronze

Postby baseballfan660 » Wed May 10, 2017 10:52 pm

2000 SAT, took once but studied a lot. Math was always going to weigh me down, cuz I was terrible at it. Got 97th percentile for reading tho which had me hyped.
Last edited by baseballfan660 on Thu May 11, 2017 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

R. Jeeves

Gold

Postby R. Jeeves » Wed May 10, 2017 10:57 pm

damn, sorry to hear bwaldorf.

i think it helps to see a certain significance in having your law career start on a date like that. i know a couple people who faced loss like yours and they were able to turn it into motivation to accomplish a lot of big things. hope youre able to achieve the things as a lawyer that would make your family proud.
Last edited by R. Jeeves on Wed May 10, 2017 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stephylynette

Bronze

Postby Stephylynette » Wed May 10, 2017 11:00 pm

I have a form of dyslexia that causes me to mix up words (not letters) that wasn't diagnosed until after I took the LSAT. The dyslexia requires me to take more time to read so the time constraints of standardized tests always screwed me up. But I did manage to graduate high school with a 4.0 and get a 31 on the reading part of the ACT, so I don't feel completely dumb

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum?