We're A1L mad here - TLS C/O 2020 Thread [New Pole]

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

What Classes Do You Have This Semester?

Ks
65
16%
Crim
52
13%
Civ Pro
82
20%
Torts
58
14%
Property
39
10%
Con Law
20
5%
LRW
85
21%
 
Total votes: 401

Rigo

Diamond
Posts: 16642
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Down the rabbit h0Le - TLS C/O 2020 Thread [New Poll]

Postby Rigo » Fri May 05, 2017 1:31 pm

amta wrote:shocked, not stunned. libertarianism is the new republicanism for millennials and gen-Yers.

Hipstertarian

User avatar
amta

Platinum
Posts: 9459
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:40 pm

Re: Down the rabbit h0Le - TLS C/O 2020 Thread [New Poll]

Postby amta » Fri May 05, 2017 1:33 pm

Rigo wrote:
amta wrote:shocked, not stunned. libertarianism is the new republicanism for millennials and gen-Yers.

Hipstertarian


says the dude with like 68 pairs of chacos.

User avatar
Stay-at-Home Son

New
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:34 pm

Re: Down the rabbit h0Le - TLS C/O 2020 Thread [New Poll]

Postby Stay-at-Home Son » Fri May 05, 2017 1:35 pm

Rigo wrote:
amta wrote:shocked, not stunned. libertarianism is the new republicanism for millennials and gen-Yers.

Hipstertarian


this is me

User avatar
Stay-at-Home Son

New
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:34 pm

Re: Down the rabbit h0Le - TLS C/O 2020 Thread [New Poll]

Postby Stay-at-Home Son » Fri May 05, 2017 1:37 pm

amta wrote:shocked, not stunned. libertarianism is the new republicanism for millennials and gen-Yers.


Interesting, was that an intentional small 'r' or did you literally mean it's an alternative to being a Republican? Someone in the latter camp can't be serious or just misunderstands the ideology. As for it being common, that hasn't been my experience living in the Northeast, but I'll take it.

Rigo

Diamond
Posts: 16642
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Down the rabbit h0Le - TLS C/O 2020 Thread [New Poll]

Postby Rigo » Fri May 05, 2017 1:39 pm

amta wrote:
Rigo wrote:
amta wrote:shocked, not stunned. libertarianism is the new republicanism for millennials and gen-Yers.

Hipstertarian

says the dude with like 68 pairs of chacos.

I'm not a libertarian though.
It's a trendy socially acceptable (or at least not horribly offputting) way of being a wolf in sheep's clothing.

User avatar
ashrice13

Gold
Posts: 1793
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:30 am

Re: Down the rabbit h0Le - TLS C/O 2020 Thread [New Poll]

Postby ashrice13 » Fri May 05, 2017 1:42 pm

Stay-at-Home Son wrote:
amta wrote:shocked, not stunned. libertarianism is the new republicanism for millennials and gen-Yers.


Interesting, was that an intentional small 'r' or did you literally mean it's an alternative to being a Republican? Someone in the latter camp can't be serious or just misunderstands the ideology. As for it being common, that hasn't been my experience living in the Northeast, but I'll take it.

Northeast person here- most of my conservative friends would define themselves as Libertarians before they'd define themselves as Republicans. I think there's a lot of socially liberal 20/30-somethings that are really into what the libertarians have to say.

User avatar
Stay-at-Home Son

New
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:34 pm

Re: Down the rabbit h0Le - TLS C/O 2020 Thread [New Poll]

Postby Stay-at-Home Son » Fri May 05, 2017 1:49 pm

ashrice13 wrote:
Stay-at-Home Son wrote:
amta wrote:shocked, not stunned. libertarianism is the new republicanism for millennials and gen-Yers.


Interesting, was that an intentional small 'r' or did you literally mean it's an alternative to being a Republican? Someone in the latter camp can't be serious or just misunderstands the ideology. As for it being common, that hasn't been my experience living in the Northeast, but I'll take it.

Northeast person here- most of my conservative friends would define themselves as Libertarians before they'd define themselves as Republicans. I think there's a lot of socially liberal 20/30-somethings that are really into what the libertarians have to say.


Right, I hear you. The socially liberal dimension definitely appeals to a broader range of people, and that agreement raises questions about why we restrict most behaviors in the first place. I never got the lumping in of libertarians with conservatives though, I don't think of myself as conservative in any sense, I don't even really understand what they believe in.

User avatar
Kopetz

Bronze
Posts: 338
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:06 am

Re: Down the rabbit h0Le - TLS C/O 2020 Thread [New Poll]

Postby Kopetz » Fri May 05, 2017 1:49 pm

Rigo wrote:
amta wrote:
Rigo wrote:
amta wrote:shocked, not stunned. libertarianism is the new republicanism for millennials and gen-Yers.

Hipstertarian

says the dude with like 68 pairs of chacos.

I'm not a libertarian though.
It's a trendy socially acceptable (or at least not horribly offputting) way of being a wolf in sheep's clothing.


Libertarianism has been conservatism 4 teenz for at least a decade now

e: sorry that was mostly in response to amta's original post

User avatar
poptart123

Silver
Posts: 1153
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:31 pm

Re: Down the rabbit h0Le - TLS C/O 2020 Thread [New Poll]

Postby poptart123 » Fri May 05, 2017 1:59 pm

m052310 wrote:Don't Libertarians end up hating pretty much everyone (cept Ron Paul), or is that just me?


Rand/Ron Paul, Justin Amash, Thomas Massie are the four heavy hitters.

User avatar
jjcorvino

Silver
Posts: 1456
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:49 am

Re: Down the rabbit h0Le - TLS C/O 2020 Thread [New Poll]

Postby jjcorvino » Fri May 05, 2017 2:00 pm

Kopetz wrote:
Rigo wrote:
amta wrote:
Rigo wrote:
amta wrote:shocked, not stunned. libertarianism is the new republicanism for millennials and gen-Yers.

Hipstertarian

says the dude with like 68 pairs of chacos.

I'm not a libertarian though.
It's a trendy socially acceptable (or at least not horribly offputting) way of being a wolf in sheep's clothing.


Libertarianism has been conservatism 4 teenz for at least a decade now

e: sorry that was mostly in response to amta's original post


Didn't everyone have a libertarian phase when they were in high school?

User avatar
ashrice13

Gold
Posts: 1793
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:30 am

Re: Down the rabbit h0Le - TLS C/O 2020 Thread [New Poll]

Postby ashrice13 » Fri May 05, 2017 2:00 pm

Stay-at-Home Son wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:
Stay-at-Home Son wrote:
amta wrote:shocked, not stunned. libertarianism is the new republicanism for millennials and gen-Yers.


Interesting, was that an intentional small 'r' or did you literally mean it's an alternative to being a Republican? Someone in the latter camp can't be serious or just misunderstands the ideology. As for it being common, that hasn't been my experience living in the Northeast, but I'll take it.

Northeast person here- most of my conservative friends would define themselves as Libertarians before they'd define themselves as Republicans. I think there's a lot of socially liberal 20/30-somethings that are really into what the libertarians have to say.


Right, I hear you. The socially liberal dimension definitely appeals to a broader range of people, and that agreement raises questions about why we restrict most behaviors in the first place. I never got the lumping in of libertarians with conservatives though, I don't think of myself as conservative in any sense, I don't even really understand what they believe in.

I know what does it for my friends is largely that it's a way to get a conservative platform (pro gun rights, deregulation, etc etc) without all the religious BS. Whether or not that's stupid is certainly up for debate. It's not my party, that's for sure
Last edited by ashrice13 on Fri May 05, 2017 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keilz

Gold
Posts: 2318
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:35 am

Re: Down the rabbit h0Le - TLS C/O 2020 Thread [New Poll]

Postby Keilz » Fri May 05, 2017 2:01 pm

jjcorvino wrote:
Didn't everyone have a libertarian phase when they were in high school?


No lol

Keilz

Gold
Posts: 2318
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:35 am

Re: Down the rabbit h0Le - TLS C/O 2020 Thread [New Poll]

Postby Keilz » Fri May 05, 2017 2:02 pm

ashrice13 wrote: religious BS.


That makes sense. Out of all the things I don't like, it is the coalition between extremist Christians and the republican party.

This is why I'm so fascinated by the Duggars, the Jesus Camp documentary, etc. It's a whole movement that has been happening for years, and it fits perfectly well into this last election.
Last edited by Keilz on Fri May 05, 2017 2:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Stylnator

Silver
Posts: 503
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:26 pm

Re: Down the rabbit h0Le - TLS C/O 2020 Thread [New Poll]

Postby Stylnator » Fri May 05, 2017 2:03 pm

all the libertarians i've ever known are really just conservatives too scared of the backlash from liberals

Monday

Silver
Posts: 784
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:36 am

Re: Down the rabbit h0Le - TLS C/O 2020 Thread [New Poll]

Postby Monday » Fri May 05, 2017 2:09 pm

.
Last edited by Monday on Thu May 11, 2017 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rigo

Diamond
Posts: 16642
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Down the rabbit h0Le - TLS C/O 2020 Thread [New Poll]

Postby Rigo » Fri May 05, 2017 2:19 pm

I think libertarianism is a convenient way to avoid being called a garbage person and pacify socially liberal friends by being all like "rah rah social liberties; government stay out of our bedroom! I just hate taxes!"
But a belief in preserving social liberties is hollow if you end up voting for the party that intends to restrict them.
So really it comes down to their conservative anti-government, capitalism is always great! circle jerk and they're just Republicans with less Bible thumping.
Libertarianism has great untested and unrealistic rhetorical appeal as a single-villain ideology (just blame the government!) but its adherents are too intellectually simple and generally don't get complexity.

Just be like "I'm pretty socially liberal but social liberties aren't really a deal breaker for me so I don't mind voting against those rights." It's at least way more honest.

Rigo

Diamond
Posts: 16642
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Down the rabbit h0Le - TLS C/O 2020 Thread [New Poll]

Postby Rigo » Fri May 05, 2017 2:23 pm

Stylnator wrote:all the libertarians i've ever known are really just conservatives too scared of the backlash from liberals

Yeah this is right on the money. It's putting lipstick on a pig.
Last edited by Rigo on Fri May 05, 2017 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ashrice13

Gold
Posts: 1793
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:30 am

Re: Down the rabbit h0Le - TLS C/O 2020 Thread [New Poll]

Postby ashrice13 » Fri May 05, 2017 2:23 pm

Rigo wrote:So really it comes down to their conservative anti-government, capitalism is always great! circle jerk and they're just Republicans with less Bible thumping.

basically what my libertarian friends are....you just said it waaayyyy better and funnier than I did.

Rigo wrote:Just be like "I'm pretty socially liberal but social liberties aren't really a deal breaker for me so I don't mind voting against those rights." It's at least way more honest.

+180

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver
Posts: 1297
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:27 pm

Re: Down the rabbit h0Le - TLS C/O 2020 Thread [New Poll]

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Fri May 05, 2017 2:26 pm

Libertarianism is just American conservatism with the acceptance that sometimes people love other people of the same sex, sometimes people want to do drugs, and sometimes people have a need to end a pregnancy while it's still non-viable. Oh and biggest thing, sometimes when you give a human a gun and basically carte blanche to control the citizenry they ABUSE THAT RIGHT.

Honestly it makes perfect sense that young people going to law school would be on board with all or most of those sentiments so I get why traditional republicanism is not really represented here.

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver
Posts: 1297
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:27 pm

Re: Down the rabbit h0Le - TLS C/O 2020 Thread [New Poll]

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Fri May 05, 2017 2:29 pm

jjcorvino wrote:
Kopetz wrote:
Rigo wrote:
amta wrote:
Rigo wrote:
amta wrote:shocked, not stunned. libertarianism is the new republicanism for millennials and gen-Yers.

Hipstertarian

says the dude with like 68 pairs of chacos.

I'm not a libertarian though.
It's a trendy socially acceptable (or at least not horribly offputting) way of being a wolf in sheep's clothing.


Libertarianism has been conservatism 4 teenz for at least a decade now

e: sorry that was mostly in response to amta's original post


Didn't everyone have a libertarian phase when they were in high school?


Came into highschool a libertarian (lol), and had my communist phase while in high school. Luckily those credit transferred and I got to graduate to "pretentious to BOTH SIDES" centrism before I even left college 8) 8) 8)

Keilz

Gold
Posts: 2318
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:35 am

Re: Down the rabbit h0Le - TLS C/O 2020 Thread [New Poll]

Postby Keilz » Fri May 05, 2017 2:38 pm

Rigo wrote: single-villain ideology


Also applies to Trump with immigrants, and Bernie with Millionaires and Billionaires.

User avatar
poptart123

Silver
Posts: 1153
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:31 pm

Re: Down the rabbit h0Le - TLS C/O 2020 Thread [New Poll]

Postby poptart123 » Fri May 05, 2017 2:43 pm

I think many of you are making stretches by stereotyping libertarianism, often mixing it with anarchy. F. A. Hayek and Milton Friedman, two people libertarians love to worship, actually don't call for an end to all social programs and even say some are necessary. The views are a plenty more nuanced than they are made out to be in this thread.

When I think of libertarianism I think of John Locke, Frederic Bastiat, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, George Mason, some of John Stuart Mill, Hayek, Friedman, Richard Epstein, Murray Rothbard, Robert Nozick, and Ayn Rand to some extent. Obviously each will have their own flavors, but the views are much more than "get out of my bedroom and let me have a gun." They often question the legitimacy of government action based on the logic of individual rights and autonomy. Utilitarian in a way that they want the best for the most--the most liberty for all--without interfering on the rights of others. Kantian in a way as well in that each action should be justified in itself, and not by the end result.

User avatar
guynourmin

Gold
Posts: 3433
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:42 pm

Re: Down the rabbit h0Le - TLS C/O 2020 Thread [New Poll]

Postby guynourmin » Fri May 05, 2017 2:48 pm

poptart123 wrote:I think many of you are making stretches by stereotyping libertarianism, often mixing it with anarchy. F. A. Hayek and Milton Friedman, two people libertarians love to worship, actually don't call for an end to all social programs and even say some are necessary. The views are a plenty more nuanced than they are made out to be in this thread.

When I think of libertarianism I think of John Locke, Frederic Bastiat, Thomas Jefferson, Alexander Hamilton, George Mason, some of John Stuart Mill, Hayek, Friedman, Richard Epstein, Murray Rothbard, Robert Nozick, and Ayn Rand to some extent. Obviously each will have their own flavors, but the views are much more than "get out of my bedroom and let me have a gun." They often question the legitimacy of government action based on the logic of individual rights and autonomy. Utilitarian in a way that they want the best for the most--the most liberty for all--without interfering on the rights of others. Kantian in a way as well in that each action should be justified in itself, and not by the end result.


As I'm reading it, no one is really talking about libertarianism, they're talking about the people who call themselves libertarians.

User avatar
Stay-at-Home Son

New
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:34 pm

Re: Down the rabbit h0Le - TLS C/O 2020 Thread [New Poll]

Postby Stay-at-Home Son » Fri May 05, 2017 3:02 pm

Monday wrote:I've only met a small number of libertarians whose stance was internally consistent and coherent. Others seemed to just like the idea of the label. But, it's just plain rare for someone to have an internally consistent ideology that aligns so neatly to these categories. I find clinging onto these "teams" one of the more problematic aspects of U.S. politics.

Also, what is Aleppo?


Lol^ perfect example of someone using the label without bothering to build a solid ideological foundation. Probably 100% of the "libertarians" I've met have never read anything, they just wanna be different or something.

User avatar
poptart123

Silver
Posts: 1153
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:31 pm

Re: Down the rabbit h0Le - TLS C/O 2020 Thread [New Poll]

Postby poptart123 » Fri May 05, 2017 3:04 pm

guybourdin wrote:
poptart123 wrote:I think many of you are making stretches by stereotyping libertarianism, often mixing it with anarchy. F. A. Hayek and Milton Friedman, two people libertarians love to worship, actually don't call for an end to all social programs and even say some are necessary. The views are a plenty more nuanced than they are made out to be in this thread.

When I think of libertarianism I think of John Locke, Frederic Bastiat, Thomas Jefferson, Alexander Hamilton, George Mason, some of John Stuart Mill, Hayek, Friedman, Richard Epstein, Murray Rothbard, Robert Nozick, and Ayn Rand to some extent. Obviously each will have their own flavors, but the views are much more than "get out of my bedroom and let me have a gun." They often question the legitimacy of government action based on the logic of individual rights and autonomy. Utilitarian in a way that they want the best for the most--the most liberty for all--without interfering on the rights of others. Kantian in a way as well in that each action should be justified in itself, and not by the end result.


As I'm reading it, no one is really talking about libertarianism, they're talking about the people who call themselves libertarians.


Oh yeah, those can be completely different, and too often are.



Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests