We're A1L mad here - TLS C/O 2020 Thread [New Pole]

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

What Classes Do You Have This Semester?

Ks
16%
Crim
13%
Civ Pro
20%
Torts
14%
Property
10%
Con Law
5%
LRW
21%

Total votes: 401

Rigo

Diamond

Re: Down the rabbit h0Le - TLS C/O 2020 Thread [New Poll]

Postby Rigo » Fri May 05, 2017 1:31 pm

amta wrote:shocked, not stunned. libertarianism is the new republicanism for millennials and gen-Yers.

Hipstertarian

amta

Platinum

Postby amta » Fri May 05, 2017 1:33 pm

Rigo wrote:
amta wrote:shocked, not stunned. libertarianism is the new republicanism for millennials and gen-Yers.

Hipstertarian

says the dude with like 68 pairs of chacos.

Stay-at-Home Son

New

Postby Stay-at-Home Son » Fri May 05, 2017 1:35 pm

Rigo wrote:

Hipstertarian

this is me

Stay-at-Home Son

New

Postby Stay-at-Home Son » Fri May 05, 2017 1:37 pm

Interesting, was that an intentional small 'r' or did you literally mean it's an alternative to being a Republican? Someone in the latter camp can't be serious or just misunderstands the ideology. As for it being common, that hasn't been my experience living in the Northeast, but I'll take it.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Fri May 05, 2017 1:39 pm

amta wrote:
Rigo wrote:

Hipstertarian

I'm not a libertarian though.
It's a trendy socially acceptable (or at least not horribly offputting) way of being a wolf in sheep's clothing.

ashrice13

Gold

Postby ashrice13 » Fri May 05, 2017 1:42 pm

Stay-at-Home Son wrote:

Interesting, was that an intentional small 'r' or did you literally mean it's an alternative to being a Republican? Someone in the latter camp can't be serious or just misunderstands the ideology. As for it being common, that hasn't been my experience living in the Northeast, but I'll take it.

Northeast person here- most of my conservative friends would define themselves as Libertarians before they'd define themselves as Republicans. I think there's a lot of socially liberal 20/30-somethings that are really into what the libertarians have to say.

Stay-at-Home Son

New

Postby Stay-at-Home Son » Fri May 05, 2017 1:49 pm

ashrice13 wrote:
Stay-at-Home Son wrote:

Northeast person here- most of my conservative friends would define themselves as Libertarians before they'd define themselves as Republicans. I think there's a lot of socially liberal 20/30-somethings that are really into what the libertarians have to say.

Right, I hear you. The socially liberal dimension definitely appeals to a broader range of people, and that agreement raises questions about why we restrict most behaviors in the first place. I never got the lumping in of libertarians with conservatives though, I don't think of myself as conservative in any sense, I don't even really understand what they believe in.

Kopetz

Bronze

Postby Kopetz » Fri May 05, 2017 1:49 pm

Rigo wrote:
amta wrote:
Rigo wrote:

Hipstertarian

It's a trendy socially acceptable (or at least not horribly offputting) way of being a wolf in sheep's clothing.

Libertarianism has been conservatism 4 teenz for at least a decade now

e: sorry that was mostly in response to amta's original post

poptart123

Silver

Postby poptart123 » Fri May 05, 2017 1:59 pm

m052310 wrote:Don't Libertarians end up hating pretty much everyone (cept Ron Paul), or is that just me?

Rand/Ron Paul, Justin Amash, Thomas Massie are the four heavy hitters.

jjcorvino

Silver

Postby jjcorvino » Fri May 05, 2017 2:00 pm

Kopetz wrote:
Rigo wrote:
amta wrote:
Rigo wrote:

Hipstertarian

Didn't everyone have a libertarian phase when they were in high school?

ashrice13

Gold

Postby ashrice13 » Fri May 05, 2017 2:00 pm

Stay-at-Home Son wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:
Stay-at-Home Son wrote:

Right, I hear you. The socially liberal dimension definitely appeals to a broader range of people, and that agreement raises questions about why we restrict most behaviors in the first place. I never got the lumping in of libertarians with conservatives though, I don't think of myself as conservative in any sense, I don't even really understand what they believe in.

I know what does it for my friends is largely that it's a way to get a conservative platform (pro gun rights, deregulation, etc etc) without all the religious BS. Whether or not that's stupid is certainly up for debate. It's not my party, that's for sure
Last edited by ashrice13 on Fri May 05, 2017 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keilz

Gold

Postby Keilz » Fri May 05, 2017 2:01 pm

jjcorvino wrote:

No lol

Keilz

Gold

Postby Keilz » Fri May 05, 2017 2:02 pm

ashrice13 wrote: religious BS.

That makes sense. Out of all the things I don't like, it is the coalition between extremist Christians and the republican party.

This is why I'm so fascinated by the Duggars, the Jesus Camp documentary, etc. It's a whole movement that has been happening for years, and it fits perfectly well into this last election.
Last edited by Keilz on Fri May 05, 2017 2:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Stylnator

Silver

Postby Stylnator » Fri May 05, 2017 2:03 pm

all the libertarians i've ever known are really just conservatives too scared of the backlash from liberals

Monday

Silver

Postby Monday » Fri May 05, 2017 2:09 pm

Last edited by Monday on Thu May 11, 2017 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Fri May 05, 2017 2:19 pm

I think libertarianism is a convenient way to avoid being called a garbage person and pacify socially liberal friends by being all like "rah rah social liberties; government stay out of our bedroom! I just hate taxes!"
But a belief in preserving social liberties is hollow if you end up voting for the party that intends to restrict them.
So really it comes down to their conservative anti-government, capitalism is always great! circle jerk and they're just Republicans with less Bible thumping.
Libertarianism has great untested and unrealistic rhetorical appeal as a single-villain ideology (just blame the government!) but its adherents are too intellectually simple and generally don't get complexity.

Just be like "I'm pretty socially liberal but social liberties aren't really a deal breaker for me so I don't mind voting against those rights." It's at least way more honest.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Fri May 05, 2017 2:23 pm

Stylnator wrote:all the libertarians i've ever known are really just conservatives too scared of the backlash from liberals

Yeah this is right on the money. It's putting lipstick on a pig.
Last edited by Rigo on Fri May 05, 2017 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ashrice13

Gold

Postby ashrice13 » Fri May 05, 2017 2:23 pm

Rigo wrote:So really it comes down to their conservative anti-government, capitalism is always great! circle jerk and they're just Republicans with less Bible thumping.

basically what my libertarian friends are....you just said it waaayyyy better and funnier than I did.

Rigo wrote:Just be like "I'm pretty socially liberal but social liberties aren't really a deal breaker for me so I don't mind voting against those rights." It's at least way more honest.

+180

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Fri May 05, 2017 2:26 pm

Libertarianism is just American conservatism with the acceptance that sometimes people love other people of the same sex, sometimes people want to do drugs, and sometimes people have a need to end a pregnancy while it's still non-viable. Oh and biggest thing, sometimes when you give a human a gun and basically carte blanche to control the citizenry they ABUSE THAT RIGHT.

Honestly it makes perfect sense that young people going to law school would be on board with all or most of those sentiments so I get why traditional republicanism is not really represented here.

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Fri May 05, 2017 2:29 pm

jjcorvino wrote:
Kopetz wrote:
Rigo wrote:
amta wrote:
Rigo wrote:

Hipstertarian

Came into highschool a libertarian (lol), and had my communist phase while in high school. Luckily those credit transferred and I got to graduate to "pretentious to BOTH SIDES" centrism before I even left college 8) 8) 8)

Keilz

Gold

Postby Keilz » Fri May 05, 2017 2:38 pm

Rigo wrote: single-villain ideology

Also applies to Trump with immigrants, and Bernie with Millionaires and Billionaires.

poptart123

Silver

Postby poptart123 » Fri May 05, 2017 2:43 pm

I think many of you are making stretches by stereotyping libertarianism, often mixing it with anarchy. F. A. Hayek and Milton Friedman, two people libertarians love to worship, actually don't call for an end to all social programs and even say some are necessary. The views are a plenty more nuanced than they are made out to be in this thread.

When I think of libertarianism I think of John Locke, Frederic Bastiat, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, George Mason, some of John Stuart Mill, Hayek, Friedman, Richard Epstein, Murray Rothbard, Robert Nozick, and Ayn Rand to some extent. Obviously each will have their own flavors, but the views are much more than "get out of my bedroom and let me have a gun." They often question the legitimacy of government action based on the logic of individual rights and autonomy. Utilitarian in a way that they want the best for the most--the most liberty for all--without interfering on the rights of others. Kantian in a way as well in that each action should be justified in itself, and not by the end result.

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Fri May 05, 2017 2:48 pm

poptart123 wrote:I think many of you are making stretches by stereotyping libertarianism, often mixing it with anarchy. F. A. Hayek and Milton Friedman, two people libertarians love to worship, actually don't call for an end to all social programs and even say some are necessary. The views are a plenty more nuanced than they are made out to be in this thread.

When I think of libertarianism I think of John Locke, Frederic Bastiat, Thomas Jefferson, Alexander Hamilton, George Mason, some of John Stuart Mill, Hayek, Friedman, Richard Epstein, Murray Rothbard, Robert Nozick, and Ayn Rand to some extent. Obviously each will have their own flavors, but the views are much more than "get out of my bedroom and let me have a gun." They often question the legitimacy of government action based on the logic of individual rights and autonomy. Utilitarian in a way that they want the best for the most--the most liberty for all--without interfering on the rights of others. Kantian in a way as well in that each action should be justified in itself, and not by the end result.

As I'm reading it, no one is really talking about libertarianism, they're talking about the people who call themselves libertarians.

Stay-at-Home Son

New

Postby Stay-at-Home Son » Fri May 05, 2017 3:02 pm

Monday wrote:I've only met a small number of libertarians whose stance was internally consistent and coherent. Others seemed to just like the idea of the label. But, it's just plain rare for someone to have an internally consistent ideology that aligns so neatly to these categories. I find clinging onto these "teams" one of the more problematic aspects of U.S. politics.

Also, what is Aleppo?

Lol^ perfect example of someone using the label without bothering to build a solid ideological foundation. Probably 100% of the "libertarians" I've met have never read anything, they just wanna be different or something.

poptart123

Silver

Postby poptart123 » Fri May 05, 2017 3:04 pm

guybourdin wrote:
poptart123 wrote:I think many of you are making stretches by stereotyping libertarianism, often mixing it with anarchy. F. A. Hayek and Milton Friedman, two people libertarians love to worship, actually don't call for an end to all social programs and even say some are necessary. The views are a plenty more nuanced than they are made out to be in this thread.

When I think of libertarianism I think of John Locke, Frederic Bastiat, Thomas Jefferson, Alexander Hamilton, George Mason, some of John Stuart Mill, Hayek, Friedman, Richard Epstein, Murray Rothbard, Robert Nozick, and Ayn Rand to some extent. Obviously each will have their own flavors, but the views are much more than "get out of my bedroom and let me have a gun." They often question the legitimacy of government action based on the logic of individual rights and autonomy. Utilitarian in a way that they want the best for the most--the most liberty for all--without interfering on the rights of others. Kantian in a way as well in that each action should be justified in itself, and not by the end result.

As I'm reading it, no one is really talking about libertarianism, they're talking about the people who call themselves libertarians.

Oh yeah, those can be completely different, and too often are.

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum?