We're A1L mad here - TLS C/O 2020 Thread [New Pole] Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

What Classes Do You Have This Semester?

Ks
16%
Crim
13%
Civ Pro
20%
Torts
14%
Property
10%
Con Law
5%
LRW
21%

Total votes: 401

doggozeg

New

Re: We're A1L mad here - TLS C/O 2020 Thread [New Pole]

Post by doggozeg » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:38 pm

I suck. I got well below median. :( :( :( T13 but still feel like crap and that I will fail to get a good job with the "normal" crowd.

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:53 pm

doggozeg wrote:I suck. I got well below median. :( :( :( T13 but still feel like crap and that I will fail to get a good job with the "normal" crowd.
fellow Dukie here, you'll be fine, you're at Duke. you'll still get big law with your GPA, just try your best to improve this semester.

doggozeg

New

Post by doggozeg » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:06 pm

proteinshake wrote:
doggozeg wrote:I suck. I got well below median. :( :( :( T13 but still feel like crap and that I will fail to get a good job with the "normal" crowd.
fellow Dukie here, you'll be fine, you're at Duke. you'll still get big law with your GPA, just try your best to improve this semester.
Thanks. I feel better talking to professors.

Scylla

New

Post by Scylla » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:55 am

Had to go anonymous for this one.

I'm stuck in an incredible limbo. I have a full ride, decent first semester grades, but decided I didn't want to be a lawyer in early February after doing interviews and consulting with people in the field. 100% certain I don't want to do this. So I withdrew.

Unfortunately, if I withdraw, I have to pay back a prorated portion of my scholarship even though I am in good standing. My law school financial aid office catches this and calls me. Graciously, they rescind the withdrawal before it gets to the main campus registrar. They tell me on March 12th I will have "earned" my full scholarship (they use the federal 60% rule, but apparently it's only 50% for the school because I turned down federal aid this term since I knew I was withdrawing in Feb and could still give it back).

This has me in the absurd position of taking a midterm in two hours for contracts and not having read a case since late January. The way the rule is written I have had to be "in school" for the last month, but I've been going to half of my classes and have been getting extensions with penalties on my writing assignments just dragging them out with no intention of doing them. It's just silly I have to do this. I have told my professors this and the dean and financial aid person at the law school are essentially letting me do this to comply which I appreciate but it's so dumb. It's an open secret.

Well, apparently, my K professor decided that my absences were too much and reported them to the admin, some of whom don't know what I'm up to, and now they are taking it seriously and there is a paper trail and shit, I seriously might have my withdrawal date moved to February after an investigation. Which means I now have to go to class daily and complete these assignments or pay thousands to the school. I also had to study all night for this midterm because the prof told me if I don't take it seriously she will report that as well.

There might be a lot wrong with me here, but I'm in a really stupid situation where I don't want to be here but have to pay 10k to leave in February so I stay and do the minimum pretending I'm still in school. Everyone here knows this and is super cool, but one prof decided I disrespected her by not showing up to 8 a.m. classes and is causing me major potential problems. And while I always knew I had to take the midterm today, I expected I could just write "I don't understand contracts" and be done with it." Instead, I'll be writing some crap I just learned about a Corbin approach.

Thanks for listening to me vent. This feels kafkaesque.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”