2L and Back Again

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)

What are you doing this summer?

Big Firm
32%
Med/Small Firm
9%
Government
22%
Judicial
13%
Non-Profit
14%
Other
7%
Couch Surfing
3%

Total votes: 152

Bearlyalive

Silver

Re: Abandon A1L Hope, Ye Who Enter Here (1L thread)

Postby Bearlyalive » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:48 pm

Ha, getting grades back. I won't have any clue whether I'm any good at this until January!

Edit: Actually, make that February or March given the reputation of professors at my school for grading exams.

Smallville

Gold

Postby Smallville » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:00 pm

cdotson2 wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:I love law school

same, but I havn't got any grade back yet, so I could see that potentially changing the experience.

you have grades to get back...?

the only thing that isn't based on final is legal writing/research which is small work that we get back after maybe a week and is based on a check +/- and is a tiny portion of our grade

cdotson2

Silver

Postby cdotson2 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:33 pm

Smallville wrote:you have grades to get back...?

the only thing that isn't based on final is legal writing/research which is small work that we get back after maybe a week and is based on a check +/- and is a tiny portion of our grade

basically the same, but that's what I meant. if other people are getting grades back I could see how that would make Law less enjoyable, than just reading and talking all the time. At the very least waiting for grades will be a lot higher stress environment than normal class.

lawkools

New

Postby lawkools » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:17 am

Does anyone else absolutely hate/regret their choice of law school? So far I've been unable to really connect with anyone, and have been absolutely miserable the last two months. I had the misfortune to get placed within the "gunner" section, and on top of that, ~75% of them genuinely suck. No one really socializes in class, and the few who do are in these weird cliques. It's all very high school, much different from my college experience where everyone is genuinely friendly to each other, outgoing, and not a socially awk robot. I know it's probably naïve to think that people would be cool in a competitive environment of law school, but I thought the majority would be better than they are. I've met a few fellow 1Ls who are cool, but I feel that I spend so much time working that I really don't get the opportunity to really connect with these few. When I do, it's sparse (one weekend here, one there). The 2L & 3Ls are also great, but they're just on a whole different page than me. In all, I absolutely hate it here, and this hate is pushing me to try and do well enough to transfer to another T14 next year (even though it's probably a poor move career wise, I hope to high hell I have the grades to do so). Does anyone feel like I do? :(

Bearlyalive

Silver

Postby Bearlyalive » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:09 pm

lawkools wrote:Does anyone else absolutely hate/regret their choice of law school? So far I've been unable to really connect with anyone, and have been absolutely miserable the last two months. I had the misfortune to get placed within the "gunner" section, and on top of that, ~75% of them genuinely suck. No one really socializes in class, and the few who do are in these weird cliques. It's all very high school, much different from my college experience where everyone is genuinely friendly to each other, outgoing, and not a socially awk robot. I know it's probably naïve to think that people would be cool in a competitive environment of law school, but I thought the majority would be better than they are. I've met a few fellow 1Ls who are cool, but I feel that I spend so much time working that I really don't get the opportunity to really connect with these few. When I do, it's sparse (one weekend here, one there). The 2L & 3Ls are also great, but they're just on a whole different page than me. In all, I absolutely hate it here, and this hate is pushing me to try and do well enough to transfer to another T14 next year (even though it's probably a poor move career wise, I hope to high hell I have the grades to do so). Does anyone feel like I do? :(

I can't really commiserate, but I can try to offer some advice. I've never really put much value in class-wide socialization; obviously if 75% of your peers actually do suck, that's a problem, but at the end of the day the problem of lack of connections doesn't have much do with with the group as a whole. You don't have to like everyone, you just have to find a couple of worthwhile people to make friends with. I disliked the majority of my high school class, but I had a few really close friends that made it so I wasn't absolutely miserable for four years. In college I started branching out into more social groups and trying to get along with more people, but I still kept my close circle of genuine friends fairly small. It sounds like you have some idea of who you'd like to be friends with, so put the other people out of your mind and focus on the people you actually like.

It seems like your actual dilemma is that you don't think you have to time to get together with those people and hang out. I think this is where the difference comes in between your "college experience" of having a bunch of outgoing people constantly doing things, versus an environment like law school where people have to be more careful about budgeting their time and energy. If you're waiting to just get invited to go do something in the latter, you're going to be waiting forever. You have to make your own opportunities to hang out with people, and you have to be willing to put in the energy and set aside the time to organize stuff. For example, I run a weekly poker game with a small group of people. I really enjoy getting everyone together to do something that's not standing around in a loud bar (which I could just go to bar review for...), or sitting silently reading. But I'm also fairly sure that if I didn't continue to bug people to show up, to encourage them to get their reading done earlier so that they could play, or in other ways make it one of my priorities to keep these games going... the games wouldn't happen. And I would lose a huge part of my social life at law school because of that. I would still be friends with everyone who comes to the games, but I wouldn't be socializing with them outside of school nearly as much.

I do a bunch of other stuff at the law school. I play volleyball on the intramural league, I play drums for our Law Revue band, I've joined a couple of student orgs. And through those things I've met a lot of people that I like (and some I don't, but again I don't let that bother me). But those aren't the people who I go out for drinks with on the rare weekend night where everyone has the time and energy to meet up. I go out with my friends from the poker game. And it's those same people that I will sit next to when we're reading silently, or share notes and outlines with. But yeah, if the only basis of your friendship with somebody is completely contained within the school, you're going to feel that something is missing.

Tl;Dr: find your "poker night".

I apologize if I'm coming off condescending, I promise the advice is given with the best of intentions.

hopefuljumbo23

Bronze

Postby hopefuljumbo23 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:26 pm

Bearlyalive wrote:
lawkools wrote:Does anyone else absolutely hate/regret their choice of law school? So far I've been unable to really connect with anyone, and have been absolutely miserable the last two months. I had the misfortune to get placed within the "gunner" section, and on top of that, ~75% of them genuinely suck. No one really socializes in class, and the few who do are in these weird cliques. It's all very high school, much different from my college experience where everyone is genuinely friendly to each other, outgoing, and not a socially awk robot. I know it's probably naïve to think that people would be cool in a competitive environment of law school, but I thought the majority would be better than they are. I've met a few fellow 1Ls who are cool, but I feel that I spend so much time working that I really don't get the opportunity to really connect with these few. When I do, it's sparse (one weekend here, one there). The 2L & 3Ls are also great, but they're just on a whole different page than me. In all, I absolutely hate it here, and this hate is pushing me to try and do well enough to transfer to another T14 next year (even though it's probably a poor move career wise, I hope to high hell I have the grades to do so). Does anyone feel like I do? :(

I can't really commiserate, but I can try to offer some advice. I've never really put much value in class-wide socialization; obviously if 75% of your peers actually do suck, that's a problem, but at the end of the day the problem of lack of connections doesn't have much do with with the group as a whole. You don't have to like everyone, you just have to find a couple of worthwhile people to make friends with. I disliked the majority of my high school class, but I had a few really close friends that made it so I wasn't absolutely miserable for four years. In college I started branching out into more social groups and trying to get along with more people, but I still kept my close circle of genuine friends fairly small. It sounds like you have some idea of who you'd like to be friends with, so put the other people out of your mind and focus on the people you actually like.

It seems like your actual dilemma is that you don't think you have to time to get together with those people and hang out. I think this is where the difference comes in between your "college experience" of having a bunch of outgoing people constantly doing things, versus an environment like law school where people have to be more careful about budgeting their time and energy. If you're waiting to just get invited to go do something in the latter, you're going to be waiting forever. You have to make your own opportunities to hang out with people, and you have to be willing to put in the energy and set aside the time to organize stuff. For example, I run a weekly poker game with a small group of people. I really enjoy getting everyone together to do something that's not standing around in a loud bar (which I could just go to bar review for...), or sitting silently reading. But I'm also fairly sure that if I didn't continue to bug people to show up, to encourage them to get their reading done earlier so that they could play, or in other ways make it one of my priorities to keep these games going... the games wouldn't happen. And I would lose a huge part of my social life at law school because of that. I would still be friends with everyone who comes to the games, but I wouldn't be socializing with them outside of school nearly as much.

I do a bunch of other stuff at the law school. I play volleyball on the intramural league, I play drums for our Law Revue band, I've joined a couple of student orgs. And through those things I've met a lot of people that I like (and some I don't, but again I don't let that bother me). But those aren't the people who I go out for drinks with on the rare weekend night where everyone has the time and energy to meet up. I go out with my friends from the poker game. And it's those same people that I will sit next to when we're reading silently, or share notes and outlines with. But yeah, if the only basis of your friendship with somebody is completely contained within the school, you're going to feel that something is missing.

Tl;Dr: find your "poker night".

I apologize if I'm coming off condescending, I promise the advice is given with the best of intentions.

Personally, I think this is incredible advice. I do the same - it's not poker, for me, it's a weekly game night. We usually play a card game/bananagrams/etc. with wine/beer and something on Netflix in the background. :)

vorely

New

Postby vorely » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:05 pm

How are you guys doing at this point in the semester?w

The Abyss

Gold

Postby The Abyss » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:30 pm

vorely wrote:How are you guys doing at this point in the semester?w

I'm enjoying it for the most part. It is starting to pick up a bit with deadlines for our 2nd memo, outlining, getting my resume in order, etc. We get out first memos back next week, so I may feel differently then.

Also, where are people at with Civ Pro? I think our class went backward and started with the FRCP and we're now just doing jurisdiction.

lymenheimer

Gold

Postby lymenheimer » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:59 pm

(Ungraded) Midterm tomorrow! Civ Pro! Woo!

ChristineBaskets

New

Postby ChristineBaskets » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:35 pm

My (also ungraded) Crim midterm is without a doubt the worst piece of writing I've ever put my name on.

regulartime

Bronze

Postby regulartime » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:18 pm

The Abyss wrote:
Also, where are people at with Civ Pro? I think our class went backward and started with the FRCP and we're now just doing jurisdiction.

We are doing the same thing. We started with FRCP and are just now doing discovery.

daisrt

Bronze

Postby daisrt » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:48 pm

regulartime wrote:
The Abyss wrote:

We are doing the same thing. We started with FRCP and are just now doing discovery.

Yeah, we did FRCP and now we're just starting jurisdiction. I had my Civ Pro midterm two weeks ago, Contracts last week, and Property this week. All ungraded.

Is anyone else horrified at how quickly the time has gone by? I can't believe we'll be taking finals in less than a month and a half...

cdotson2

Silver

Postby cdotson2 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:00 pm

Our civ pro is the exact opposite. we spent the entire first half of the class on jurisdiction, and just started on FRCP this week.

archipm

Bronze

Postby archipm » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:18 pm

The time is passing really quickly. Definitely feeling the cramped nature of the quarter system because we're in Week 4 of law school and the term is almost half over, it feels like we just started and already OCS is on our asses about summer job stuff. Our first memo is due Monday and inexplicably they chose this week to start having mandatory career services programming that is time consuming and passive aggressively alarmist ("don't worry, everyone is going to get a job, but if you want any chance of getting a job you need to do these 900 things IMMEDIATELY, but really have a relaxed attitude while you accomplish everything")
Last edited by archipm on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bearlyalive

Silver

Postby Bearlyalive » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:36 am

Everything is still pretty relaxed. Doing research for the second memo, already got our first one back a few weeks ago. Ungraded legal writing ftw. Gotta have an outline ready for the second memo by the end of this weekend, but that shouldn't take too long.

We spent our first three weeks of Civ Pro covering Due Process. We still haven't gotten to jurisdiction, but we did finish discovery this week (well... really started and finished. Only spent one real class on it) and I think we're moving on to MSJ next week.

Other than that, just polishing up my resume, getting involved with a few student groups, and setting up appointments with our PI Office for summer job counseling.

lymenheimer

Gold

Postby lymenheimer » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:03 pm

Jflol at my future if that midterm had been graded.

Dexter97

Bronze

Postby Dexter97 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:26 pm

Enjoying the last warm day! Supposed to get colder this weekend. Beware the ides of midterms.

schocolate

Silver

Postby schocolate » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:43 pm

Any good Halloween costumes?

Bearlyalive

Silver

Postby Bearlyalive » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:12 pm

schocolate wrote:Any good Halloween costumes?

I'm getting together a setup to be Eggsy from Kingsman: The Secret Service. Suit up, Kingsman glasses, the umbrella shield, and a stuffed pug doll. Going to say "bruv" a lot and insist that the pug is a bulldog.

That probably doesn't qualify as a good costume, but it's easy haha.

schocolate

Silver

Postby schocolate » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:58 pm

Bearlyalive wrote:

I'm getting together a setup to be Eggsy from Kingsman: The Secret Service. Suit up, Kingsman glasses, the umbrella shield, and a stuffed pug doll. Going to say "bruv" a lot and insist that the pug is a bulldog.

That sounds dope! Kingsman was such a fun movie.

Smallville

Gold

Postby Smallville » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:40 pm

Bearlyalive wrote:Ungraded legal writing ftw.

so jealous -_- we just got our first memo back, first real graded thing

daisrt

Bronze

Postby daisrt » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:17 pm

Smallville wrote:

We're getting our graded second memo back this week. Nervous

The Abyss

Gold

Postby The Abyss » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:39 pm

daisrt wrote:
Smallville wrote:

We're getting our graded second memo back this week. Nervous

Getting our 1st graded memo back this week. Nervous as well.

ugg

Diamond

Postby ugg » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:38 pm

Bearlyalive wrote:

wow no one is going to recognize this you nerd!!!!

Bearlyalive

Silver

Postby Bearlyalive » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:48 pm

ugg wrote:
Bearlyalive wrote:

wow no one is going to recognize this you nerd!!!!

If nothing else, I get to look damn good in a suit and fake a British accent :wink:

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum?