What kind of laptop will you be using for 1L? Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)

What laptop are you using for 1L?

MacBook Pro
53%
MacBook Air
19%
Surface Pro/Book
6%
Dell XPS
5%
Lenovo Yoga
2%
Lenovo Flex
1%
Samsung ATIV
No votes
ASUS Zenbook
5%
Toshiba Chromebook
1%
Other- show us what you got!
8%

Total votes: 132

Smallville

Gold

Re: What kind of laptop will you be using for 1L?

Post by Smallville » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:59 am

PatriotP74 wrote:I'm torn between trying to hold out somehow until the new MacBook Pro releases or going with maybe the XPS....

Anyone else trying to not buy a MacBook Pro right before a new release? Lol
holding out for the new watch, but thats a bit diff lol but struggle is still realllllll. but if you're set on a Macbook, imo you should wait unless you don't have anything to hold you over for the first ~month of classes (even then buy and return :mrgreen: )

pittsburghpirates

Silver

Post by pittsburghpirates » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:45 am

PatriotP74 wrote:I'm torn between trying to hold out somehow until the new MacBook Pro releases or going with maybe the XPS....

Anyone else trying to not buy a MacBook Pro right before a new release? Lol
Got XPS and have been using for a few weeks. Personally, I really like it and the display and specs are solid

TexasHays

New

Post by TexasHays » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:35 pm

I work for Apple and have been saving my largest employee discount until right before leaving for law school. Unfortunately, they decided to not release any new Macbook Pros so far this year so I opted for the 12" Macbook. I got the fastest processor, the m7, and have loved it these past few weeks I've owned it.

bobbypin

Bronze

Post by bobbypin » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:42 pm

Get a Macbook Air in September. Your books will be heavy.
My MBA is still going strong. I'm using it to take the bar exam next week. Don't forget to get AppleCare. That way you will be covered until after you take the bar.

Smallville

Gold

Post by Smallville » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:46 pm

yeah I got 15" but if I were buying new for LS I would go smaller for weight/convenience, my applecare will run out after 1L or during.... I forget, but hopefully I wont need it

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PatriotP74

Silver

Post by PatriotP74 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:06 pm

Smallville wrote:
holding out for the new watch, but thats a bit diff lol but struggle is still realllllll. but if you're set on a Macbook, imo you should wait unless you don't have anything to hold you over for the first ~month of classes (even then buy and return :mrgreen: )
Don't get your hopes up, I have the first watch, I mean I enjoy it but really wasn't worth the 450 I spent lol hoping the update this fall is everything they are making it out to be!

I've never had a mac computer of any sort, so it will be my first. If I decide to wait, my SO needs a new computer and wants one of the older style macbooks or current style mbp's so may buy that and work with it for the first couple months. I guess I need to just go to best buy or something and play with mac OS some more and see if its really the way I want to go. If I do then I'll end up with the apple TV as well and just go apple all around haha

pittsburghpirates wrote:
Got XPS and have been using for a few weeks. Personally, I really like it and the display and specs are solid
Which one did you go with? The specs on them for the money spent are outstanding and pretty solid battery life. Best buy has the 13 with the I7 and touch screen for 350 off right now making it the price of a MBP and is really tempting....

Smallville

Gold

Post by Smallville » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:16 pm

PatriotP74 wrote:
Smallville wrote:
Don't get your hopes up, I have the first watch, I mean I enjoy it but really wasn't worth the 450 I spent lol hoping the update this fall is everything they are making it out to be!
yeah ik, and im hoping they learned from the first one and start lower, like $350 maybe, cant imagine them thinking going with 450 would be a good idea with how the market is

heres to hoping

pittsburghpirates

Silver

Post by pittsburghpirates » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:17 pm

PatriotP74 wrote:
pittsburghpirates wrote:
Which one did you go with? The specs on them for the money spent are outstanding and pretty solid battery life. Best buy has the 13 with the I7 and touch screen for 350 off right now making it the price of a MBP and is really tempting....
I went with a 15 with an i5. Runs great and am very happy with it. The display has a really small bezel so the 15 is closer in size to most 13s which is great

PatriotP74

Silver

Post by PatriotP74 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:03 pm

Anyone jumping at the 799.99 Best Buy deal today for the MBA 13"?

Kinda thinking about it to get me by until the new pros and then sell it or end up letting my SO have it

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mukol

Bronze

Post by mukol » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:10 pm

PatriotP74 wrote:Anyone jumping at the 799.99 Best Buy deal today for the MBA 13"?

Kinda thinking about it to get me by until the new pros and then sell it or end up letting my SO have it
There's not a local computer store near you that's selling old thinkpads for like $50 sans HDD (pretty sure computer renaissance here is)? In my opinion that's a much more affordable option to get by until the new MBPs drop.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”