University of Minnesota C/O 2019 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)

Where are you planning to live?

Seven Corners (GrandMarc, 7West, etc.)
14%
Dinkytown
7%
Stadium Village
No votes
Uptown
14%
Prospect Park
7%
Northeast Minneapolis/Marcy Holmes
21%
Seward
14%
Downtown Minneapolis
No votes
Saint Paul
14%
Other (Leave a comment telling us where!)
7%

Total votes: 14

SlithyTove

Bronze

University of Minnesota C/O 2019

Post by SlithyTove » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:20 pm

Helpful Links
Admitted Students' Website http://admit.law.umn.edu/info.html
2016-2017 Academic Calendar https://www.law.umn.edu/sites/law.umn.e ... lender.pdf
**Under construction - more to come**

Important Dates:

May 2, 2016 Deposit Deadline ($750)
August 30 - September 2 Orientation
September 6 First Day Fall Semester
Last edited by SlithyTove on Fri May 06, 2016 3:58 pm, edited 5 times in total.

CJRpnw

Bronze

Re: University of Minnesota C/O 2019

Post by CJRpnw » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:59 pm

Checking in! I'm giving myself a few days before I started stressing about finding an apartment and a roommate.

SlithyTove

Bronze

Post by SlithyTove » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:31 pm

CJRpnw wrote:Checking in! I'm giving myself a few days before I started stressing about finding an apartment and a roommate.
Same! Enjoying that peaceful post-deposit bliss before the stress of actually having to move across the country kicks in.

MacDhubstep

New

Post by MacDhubstep » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:59 pm

I've been committed for a while now, but I am looking for a roommate at my wonderfully located and affordable place. :) Feel free to PM me if you're interested in details - I posted in the class facebook page too so people may have seen it there. I heard our class was expected to be around 130 students (down from previous years), but judging from the size of the group on fbook I think it's gonna be even smaller.

Also I got one of the Dean's Elite Scholarships, so whoo!

CJRpnw

Bronze

Post by CJRpnw » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:08 pm

MacDhubstep wrote:I've been committed for a while now, but I am looking for a roommate at my wonderfully located and affordable place. :) Feel free to PM me if you're interested in details - I posted in the class facebook page too so people may have seen it there. I heard our class was expected to be around 130 students (down from previous years), but judging from the size of the group on fbook I think it's gonna be even smaller.

Yay, congrats!

I'm looking for somewhere cat-friendly, so I think I have to find an apartment first, then a roomie.

But jeez, that class size would be a ton smaller! It'll be interesting. I can definitely see upsides and downsides to a smaller class...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SlithyTove

Bronze

Post by SlithyTove » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:50 pm

CJRpnw wrote:
MacDhubstep wrote:I've been committed for a while now, but I am looking for a roommate at my wonderfully located and affordable place. :) Feel free to PM me if you're interested in details - I posted in the class facebook page too so people may have seen it there. I heard our class was expected to be around 130 students (down from previous years), but judging from the size of the group on fbook I think it's gonna be even smaller.

Yay, congrats!

I'm looking for somewhere cat-friendly, so I think I have to find an apartment first, then a roomie.

But jeez, that class size would be a ton smaller! It'll be interesting. I can definitely see upsides and downsides to a smaller class...
Congrats! I got one too, yay!

I definitely appreciate that they're shrinking that class size rather than lowering the school's standards. I can't see too many negatives in our immediate future but I do of course hope that this trend doesn't go on forever. I wonder if that will impact the size of our sections, or if there will just be fewer of them than usual.

Where is your wonderfully located and affordable place located? Generally speaking. I'm not looking for a roommate but would definitely love to talk about pros and cons of various neighborhoods!

Are you the one on the fb group with the parakeet?

MacDhubstep

New

Post by MacDhubstep » Mon May 02, 2016 12:29 pm

SlithyTove wrote:
I definitely appreciate that they're shrinking that class size rather than lowering the school's standards. I can't see too many negatives in our immediate future but I do of course hope that this trend doesn't go on forever. I wonder if that will impact the size of our sections, or if there will just be fewer of them than usual.

Where is your wonderfully located and affordable place located? Generally speaking. I'm not looking for a roommate but would definitely love to talk about pros and cons of various neighborhoods!

I'm not the one with the parakeet, I'm the one with the cute fluffy kitty :D

I am also curious how the numbers will affect our section sizes. The due date was today for the deposit, so I am checking the facebook page again tomorrow to see if the number of members drops again.

If you wanna talk about neighborhoods, I can definitely give my input on the different "standard" places that law school students live:

Near campus:
Dinkytown - This is where I currently live. It's considered the main student living area, and it's right next to the U's undergrad campus. Pros: Business and Groceries/places to eat nearby, close to everything you could want/need for living, also can be inexpensive. Cons: Can be loud and has many UG's living there.
Stadium Village: On the opposite side of the undergrad campus, SV is another great living option. Pros: Food/CVS/Walgreens, close to the greenline for easy commuting. Cons: Typically expensive and cheaply made super-apartment complexes. Quieter than dinkytown but still largely lived in by undergraduates.
Westbank: This is the neighborhood next to the law school. Pros: Next to Mondale and greenline lightrail. Cons: There are so many, imho. Expensive, no close grocery options, like 3 restaurants to choose from, isolated (this may be a pro to some).

Slightly farther from campus:
Riverside: This is the neighborhood near the law school. Pros: Inexpensive. Cons: Crime.
Marcy Holmes: This is the neighborhood behind dinkytown. Pros: Inexpensive. Cons: Crime.
Uptown: This is a popular hipster area of the city. Pros: Developing night life, great food, many shopping options. Many grad and law students live here. Cons: Gentrified area of the city, hipsters, expensive, far from Mondale.

Other people are free to chime in. :)

mukol

Bronze

Post by mukol » Mon May 02, 2016 11:52 pm

Last edited by mukol on Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mukol

Bronze

Post by mukol » Mon May 02, 2016 11:55 pm

Last edited by mukol on Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SlithyTove

Bronze

Post by SlithyTove » Tue May 03, 2016 11:40 am

MacDhubstep wrote:
SlithyTove wrote:

I'm not the one with the parakeet, I'm the one with the cute fluffy kitty :D

I am also curious how the numbers will affect our section sizes. The due date was today for the deposit, so I am checking the facebook page again tomorrow to see if the number of members drops again.

If you wanna talk about neighborhoods, I can definitely give my input on the different "standard" places that law school students live:

Near campus:
Dinkytown - This is where I currently live. It's considered the main student living area, and it's right next to the U's undergrad campus. Pros: Business and Groceries/places to eat nearby, close to everything you could want/need for living, also can be inexpensive. Cons: Can be loud and has many UG's living there.
Stadium Village: On the opposite side of the undergrad campus, SV is another great living option. Pros: Food/CVS/Walgreens, close to the greenline for easy commuting. Cons: Typically expensive and cheaply made super-apartment complexes. Quieter than dinkytown but still largely lived in by undergraduates.
Westbank: This is the neighborhood next to the law school. Pros: Next to Mondale and greenline lightrail. Cons: There are so many, imho. Expensive, no close grocery options, like 3 restaurants to choose from, isolated (this may be a pro to some).

Slightly farther from campus:
Riverside: This is the neighborhood near the law school. Pros: Inexpensive. Cons: Crime.
Marcy Holmes: This is the neighborhood behind dinkytown. Pros: Inexpensive. Cons: Crime.
Uptown: This is a popular hipster area of the city. Pros: Developing night life, great food, many shopping options. Many grad and law students live here. Cons: Gentrified area of the city, hipsters, expensive, far from Mondale.

Other people are free to chime in. :)
Awesome, thanks for the input! As nice as it would be to be that close I'm definitely leaning away from both Dinkeytown/Stadium Village and Riverside/Westbank, though for different reasons. (I should say, I graduated from high school in a suburb of the Twin Cities and have lived in Minneapolis before so I have some personal opinions and preferences based on that experience.) Like you said, Dinkeytown/Stadium Village are just too loud and undergrad-y for me. I like to be in bustling areas with walk-able nightlife but I'm past the point of being okay with walking outside to find vomit on my doorstep.

I agree with your assessment of the Westbank area too. There are some fun bars in the area but the lack of grocery options and the relative isolation aren't really my thing.

I'm thinking that either Marcy Holmes or Seward might be more my speed. They're both either walk-able or bike-able to campus, seem to have decent dining/drinking/coffee/fitness options and aren't too expensive.

I'm curious though what sort of crime you're talking about in Marcy Holmes. This area wasn't really booming when I lived there but this spring when I visited I spent most of my time in the Northeast Arts District at breweries, coffee shops, and just walking through neighborhoods and I loved it! I know that's a pretty limited assessment though so if you have any more experience with that area, I'd love your insight.

I also love Seward because it's walk-able to Mondale along River Pkwy, it has an amazing co-op, the proximity to downtown and uptown is good, and the prices aren't too bad. I also like that it's ethnically diverse and seems to be friendly to alternative lifestyles. When I lived in the Twin Cities before, this area of Franklin was pretty rough. It seems like it's still very much a gritty neighborhood but in many ways, that's something I like. I'd love anyone's thoughts on this area who has experience here.

I'm also curious about neighborhoods along the green line. Are there any there that you think would be worth checking out? I know that Saint Paul is quieter and demographically older than Minneapolis but do any 20/30 somethings that you know of live in downtown Saint Paul?

SlithyTove

Bronze

Post by SlithyTove » Tue May 03, 2016 12:08 pm

mukol wrote:Can we add "It's close enough to Wisconsin to get New Glarus" to the poll options.
Hey! I tried to add this to the poll and it reset the whole thing so I just updated it to a new poll. Sorry! Good point though; that and 'close enough to buy booze in Wisconsin on Sunday when you forget that the liquor stores in Minnesota are closed'. :roll:

CJRpnw

Bronze

Post by CJRpnw » Tue May 03, 2016 12:10 pm

SlithyTove wrote:
MacDhubstep wrote:
SlithyTove wrote:
The food desert thing is a real concern for me, but for what it's worth, there is ALLEGEDLY a Trader Joe's going in by the Guthrie Theater. http://www.startribune.com/trader-joe-s ... 334682271/

CJRpnw

Bronze

Post by CJRpnw » Tue May 03, 2016 12:15 pm

SlithyTove wrote:
mukol wrote:Can we add "It's close enough to Wisconsin to get New Glarus" to the poll options.
Hey! I tried to add this to the poll and it reset the whole thing so I just updated it to a new poll. Sorry! Good point though; that and 'close enough to buy booze in Wisconsin on Sunday when you forget that the liquor stores in Minnesota are closed'. :roll:
Going to show how much I have to learn about Minneapolis: I just google mapped how close 'close' is and holy cow, Wisconsin is only 30 mins away?!

The beer situation is definitely A+ though. I was really into all the local brews I tried at Corner Bar.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SlithyTove

Bronze

Post by SlithyTove » Tue May 03, 2016 12:32 pm

CJRpnw wrote:
SlithyTove wrote:
MacDhubstep wrote:
SlithyTove wrote:
The food desert thing is a real concern for me, but for what it's worth, there is ALLEGEDLY a Trader Joe's going in by the Guthrie Theater. http://www.startribune.com/trader-joe-s ... 334682271/
That is good news! I don't love Trader Joes (who puts that much packaging on produce?!) but more grocery options are definitely necessary in that area.

mukol

Bronze

Post by mukol » Thu May 05, 2016 10:41 am

Last edited by mukol on Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MacDhubstep

New

Post by MacDhubstep » Thu May 05, 2016 7:47 pm

SlithyTove wrote: I'm curious though what sort of crime you're talking about in Marcy Holmes. This area wasn't really booming when I lived there but this spring when I visited I spent most of my time in the Northeast Arts District at breweries, coffee shops, and just walking through neighborhoods and I loved it! I know that's a pretty limited assessment though so if you have any more experience with that area, I'd love your insight.
Pretty much all of the campus muggings happen in Marcy Holmes or the Como Neighborhood. MH has also had a handful of stranger-rapes since I have been a student at the U. Most of the crimes occur between 12am and 3am, but I remember two years ago a rape happened at like 7am. Crime in the area is definitely something to consider if you will be walking or biking to campus.

Also, it's *Dinkytown. :)

SlithyTove

Bronze

Post by SlithyTove » Fri May 06, 2016 11:26 am

MacDhubstep wrote:
SlithyTove wrote: I'm curious though what sort of crime you're talking about in Marcy Holmes. This area wasn't really booming when I lived there but this spring when I visited I spent most of my time in the Northeast Arts District at breweries, coffee shops, and just walking through neighborhoods and I loved it! I know that's a pretty limited assessment though so if you have any more experience with that area, I'd love your insight.
Pretty much all of the campus muggings happen in Marcy Holmes or the Como Neighborhood. MH has also had a handful of stranger-rapes since I have been a student at the U. Most of the crimes occur between 12am and 3am, but I remember two years ago a rape happened at like 7am. Crime in the area is definitely something to consider if you will be walking or biking to campus.

Also, it's *Dinkytown. :)
Ha! Whoops. Can you tell it's been a while? :oops: DINKYtown, got it.

Good to know. I definitely want to walk or bike so that's a serious concern.

I think I'm coming up in June so my SO can look for jobs and so we can get a feel for the neighborhoods and try and lock down a place. We'll just have to do some serious walking and exploring to see what feels right. Thanks for your input! If you or anyone else has other info/thoughts/experiences with Marcy Holmes, Seward, Dinkytown, Downtown St Paul, or any of the neighborhoods along the green line, I'd love to hear it!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Kirky

New

Post by Kirky » Fri May 06, 2016 2:15 pm

Hi friends!

Submitted my deposit this Monday, enjoying a lovely Minnesotan spring before diving in!

I've been thinking a lot about where to live, currently living in Northeast but I think I want to move to Seven Corners to be as close to the school as possible. If anyone wants to know anything about Minneapolis/Northeast/Biking/Coffee or is interested in dropping way too much money on an apartment as close to school as possible let me know!

SlithyTove

Bronze

Post by SlithyTove » Thu May 12, 2016 4:41 pm

Some of you may have seen this on the class facebook page but we have a new dean!

http://discover.umn.edu/news/vision-lea ... chool-dean

mukol

Bronze

Post by mukol » Thu May 12, 2016 9:32 pm

Last edited by mukol on Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CJRpnw

Bronze

Post by CJRpnw » Fri May 13, 2016 12:07 pm

mukol wrote:Didn't the other one run away for more money somewhere?
Not sure his reasoning or if he was ousted, but it wouldn't surprise me if a private liberal arts college has money to spare for a raise.

An interesting piece in the New York Times on Minnesota Law's recent struggles today. Not entirely unflattering, but a little annoying that UMN gets so much attention for a seemingly widespread problem. http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/13/busin ... sions.html

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mukol

Bronze

Post by mukol » Tue May 17, 2016 12:00 am

Last edited by mukol on Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SlithyTove

Bronze

Post by SlithyTove » Tue May 17, 2016 11:42 am

mukol wrote:what's the best/cheapest/safest burb to live in if you don't mind a commute?
I don't know about "best" but Roseville/Lauderdale/Saint Anthony Park are really close in Northern Minneapolis suburbs. Location is good and prices are better than the hip Minneapolis neighborhoods. Totally safe in my experience as well.

CJRpnw

Bronze

Post by CJRpnw » Tue May 17, 2016 12:42 pm

SlithyTove wrote:
mukol wrote:what's the best/cheapest/safest burb to live in if you don't mind a commute?
I don't know about "best" but Roseville/Lauderdale/Saint Anthony Park are really close in Northern Minneapolis suburbs. Location is good and prices are better than the hip Minneapolis neighborhoods. Totally safe in my experience as well.
Apartment hunting thread! I'm having the hardest time finding a place right now. NOTHING seems to exist in Longfellow, and I'm starting to think my dream of an in-unit washer/dryer is unattainable. Boooo, moving.

Kirky

New

Post by Kirky » Tue May 17, 2016 1:07 pm

CJRpnw wrote:
SlithyTove wrote:
Apartment hunting thread! I'm having the hardest time finding a place right now. NOTHING seems to exist in Longfellow, and I'm starting to think my dream of an in-unit washer/dryer is unattainable. Boooo, moving.
I just signed for an apartment at 7west... if anyone needs to hang on a rooftop, I'm your guy.

I think 7corners opens up July 1st if anyone is looking, sounds like they have a 60-day policy for availability.

On another note, does anyone know what the class size actually is this year? I've heard it's really low.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”