When you are visiting schools, DEFINITELY --

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)
User avatar
zhenders
Posts: 916
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:21 pm

When you are visiting schools, DEFINITELY --

Postby zhenders » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:39 pm

-- DO NOT be the person who tries to answer questions when you're visiting class. I guarantee you that 100% of the time you're making yourself look like a tool.

I'm talking to you, guy in the back of Contracts right now.

User avatar
somethingElse
Posts: 3769
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:09 pm

Re: When you are visiting schools, DEFINITELY --

Postby somethingElse » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:47 pm

Deets please.

GreatBraffsby
Posts: 156
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:29 pm

Re: When you are visiting schools, DEFINITELY --

Postby GreatBraffsby » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:59 pm

Why would you even try that, especially when you're with people who will potentially be around you the next 3 years?

acr
Posts: 685
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:14 pm

Re: When you are visiting schools, DEFINITELY --

Postby acr » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:00 pm

somethingelse55 wrote:Deets

User avatar
zhenders
Posts: 916
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:21 pm

Re: When you are visiting schools, DEFINITELY --

Postby zhenders » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:28 pm

Guy raised his hand to comment. Reminded us he was a 0L around 3 times. Brought up some case he'd read. Literally said some variation of "your class didn't read this case, but what about --" as if he knew what we had or hadn't read. Ignored the audible groans of EVERYONE. Wasted valuable, our-for class time. Was impervious to my and everyone else's death stares. Literally chased Eric Posner out of class afterwards.

I know he reads this forum. There's no way it's possible to gun that embarrassingly hard without obsessing on TLS. Dude: don't.

User avatar
somethingElse
Posts: 3769
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:09 pm

Re: When you are visiting schools, DEFINITELY --

Postby somethingElse » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:30 pm

Thank you for deets. How did the prof respond to all this? Any other deets of note?
Last edited by somethingElse on Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
urbanist11
Posts: 1492
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:34 pm

Re: When you are visiting schools, DEFINITELY --

Postby urbanist11 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:30 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

acr
Posts: 685
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:14 pm

Re: When you are visiting schools, DEFINITELY --

Postby acr » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:31 pm

zhenders wrote:Guy raised his hand to comment. Reminded us he was a 0L around 3 times. Brought up some case he'd read. Literally said some variation of "your class didn't read this case, but what about --" as if he knew what we had or hadn't read. Ignored the audible groans of EVERYONE. Wasted valuable, our-for class time. Was impervious to my and everyone else's death stares. Literally chased Eric Posner out of class afterwards.

I know he reads this forum. There's no way it's possible to gun that embarrassingly hard without obsessing on TLS. Dude: don't.


lol no one can stalk TLS obsessively and not realize that's not okay

User avatar
zhenders
Posts: 916
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:21 pm

Re: When you are visiting schools, DEFINITELY --

Postby zhenders » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:40 pm

acr wrote:
lol no one can stalk TLS obsessively and not realize that's not okay


I dunno. It's the mark of the true gunner that she or he thinks they're special and the normal rules of the classroom don't apply.

User avatar
hairbear7
Posts: 519
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:28 pm

Re: When you are visiting schools, DEFINITELY --

Postby hairbear7 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:43 pm

Hahahaha did the same prospective student sit in on both contract classes today? What a treat.

User avatar
stego
Posts: 5303
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:23 am

Re: When you are visiting schools, DEFINITELY --

Postby stego » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:59 pm

somethingelse55 wrote:Thank you for deets. How did the prof respond to all this? Any other deets of note?

On information and belief, the following exchange took place:

Visiting Student: "I'm just visiting, but . . . "
Professor: "You're just visiting? You haven't paid for the right to speak!"

Biglaw1990
Posts: 438
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:02 pm

Re: When you are visiting schools, DEFINITELY --

Postby Biglaw1990 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:02 pm

Which school?

User avatar
BirdLawExpert
Posts: 3134
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:09 pm

Re: When you are visiting schools, DEFINITELY --

Postby BirdLawExpert » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:02 pm

stego wrote:
somethingelse55 wrote:Thank you for deets. How did the prof respond to all this? Any other deets of note?

On information and belief, the following exchange took place:

Visiting Student: "I'm just visiting, but . . . "
Professor: "You're just visiting? You haven't paid for the right to speak!"


I sat in on a friend's 2L class when I visited her school last fall (I think it was International Human Rights), and the professor called on me. I very much wish he had an attitude more like this.

User avatar
somethingElse
Posts: 3769
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:09 pm

Re: When you are visiting schools, DEFINITELY --

Postby somethingElse » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:05 pm

BirdLawExpert wrote:
stego wrote:
somethingelse55 wrote:Thank you for deets. How did the prof respond to all this? Any other deets of note?

On information and belief, the following exchange took place:

Visiting Student: "I'm just visiting, but . . . "
Professor: "You're just visiting? You haven't paid for the right to speak!"


I sat in on a friend's 2L class when I visited her school last fall (I think it was International Human Rights), and the professor called on me. I very much wish he had an attitude more like this.


Need deets on this too please. Very bored at work here.

User avatar
Hikikomorist
Posts: 7269
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:05 pm

Re: When you are visiting schools, DEFINITELY --

Postby Hikikomorist » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:09 pm

zhenders wrote:Guy raised his hand to comment. Reminded us he was a 0L around 3 times. Brought up some case he'd read. Literally said some variation of "your class didn't read this case, but what about --" as if he knew what we had or hadn't read. Ignored the audible groans of EVERYONE. Wasted valuable, our-for class time. Was impervious to my and everyone else's death stares. Literally chased Eric Posner out of class afterwards.

I know he reads this forum. There's no way it's possible to gun that embarrassingly hard without obsessing on TLS. Dude: don't.

Let's not get carried away.

User avatar
seashell.economy
Posts: 490
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:24 pm

Re: When you are visiting schools, DEFINITELY --

Postby seashell.economy » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:10 pm

zhenders wrote:audible groans of EVERYONE.


I mean, that's rude, too.

Indifference
Posts: 541
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:01 am

Re: When you are visiting schools, DEFINITELY --

Postby Indifference » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:11 pm

I've actually been hoping one of the visiting 0Ls would say something, just to see how that would go. Sadly no dice.

User avatar
somethingElse
Posts: 3769
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:09 pm

Re: When you are visiting schools, DEFINITELY --

Postby somethingElse » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:12 pm

Indifference wrote:I've actually been hoping one of the visiting 0Ls would say something, just to see how that would go. Sadly no dice.


I will volunteer to do this for a nominal fee.

User avatar
BirdLawExpert
Posts: 3134
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:09 pm

Re: When you are visiting schools, DEFINITELY --

Postby BirdLawExpert » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:21 pm

somethingelse55 wrote:
BirdLawExpert wrote:I sat in on a friend's 2L class when I visited her school last fall (I think it was International Human Rights), and the professor called on me. I very much wish he had an attitude more like this.


Need deets on this too please. Very bored at work here.


I had to talk to the professor before class so that he'd let me sit in. He mentioned what they were covering today and asked if I knew anything about it. They happened to be covering something that was a pretty critical aspect of my undergraduate thesis (the ICC), and so I mentioned that I had studied a different aspect of it in my undergraduate work. He said, "well then hopefully you'll be able to follow along."

About half way through discussing what has to happen in order for the ICC to take a case he said, "how about our guest? What do you think?"

I told him I didn't know enough about it to know what to think, and he said, "well you're coming to this with a background in security studies, do you think that the ICC selecting cases as it does is good or bad for international security?"

So yeah, he non-chalantly asked me to answer a dissertation-level question in a class that I had been sitting in on for about thirty minutes. I said something about it the decisions of the member states requesting the cases having a greater impact on security than the decision of the court to specifically address certain issues, and then he said "interesting" and moved on.

Not the world's best story, but definitely terrifying since conventional wisdom has always been to STFU in those situations.

Leagles5161
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:33 pm

Re: When you are visiting schools, DEFINITELY --

Postby Leagles5161 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:25 pm

BirdLawExpert wrote:
somethingelse55 wrote:
BirdLawExpert wrote:I sat in on a friend's 2L class when I visited her school last fall (I think it was International Human Rights), and the professor called on me. I very much wish he had an attitude more like this.


Need deets on this too please. Very bored at work here.


I had to talk to the professor before class so that he'd let me sit in. He mentioned what they were covering today and asked if I knew anything about it. They happened to be covering something that was a pretty critical aspect of my undergraduate thesis (the ICC), and so I mentioned that I had studied a different aspect of it in my undergraduate work. He said, "well then hopefully you'll be able to follow along."

About half way through discussing what has to happen in order for the ICC to take a case he said, "how about our guest? What do you think?"

I told him I didn't know enough about it to know what to think, and he said, "well you're coming to this with a background in security studies, do you think that the ICC selecting cases as it does is good or bad for international security?"

So yeah, he non-chalantly asked me to answer a dissertation-level question in a class that I had been sitting in on for about thirty minutes. I said something about it the decisions of the member states requesting the cases having a greater impact on security than the decision of the court to specifically address certain issues, and then he said "interesting" and moved on.

Not the world's best story, but definitely terrifying since conventional wisdom has always been to STFU in those situations.


That professor needs to chill the fuck out

User avatar
somethingElse
Posts: 3769
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:09 pm

Re: When you are visiting schools, DEFINITELY --

Postby somethingElse » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:27 pm

Thanks for sharing :shock:

User avatar
4thand9
Posts: 128
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:11 am

Re: When you are visiting schools, DEFINITELY --

Postby 4thand9 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:29 pm

BirdLawExpert wrote:
somethingelse55 wrote:
BirdLawExpert wrote:I sat in on a friend's 2L class when I visited her school last fall (I think it was International Human Rights), and the professor called on me. I very much wish he had an attitude more like this.


Need deets on this too please. Very bored at work here.


I had to talk to the professor before class so that he'd let me sit in. He mentioned what they were covering today and asked if I knew anything about it. They happened to be covering something that was a pretty critical aspect of my undergraduate thesis (the ICC), and so I mentioned that I had studied a different aspect of it in my undergraduate work. He said, "well then hopefully you'll be able to follow along."

About half way through discussing what has to happen in order for the ICC to take a case he said, "how about our guest? What do you think?"

I told him I didn't know enough about it to know what to think, and he said, "well you're coming to this with a background in security studies, do you think that the ICC selecting cases as it does is good or bad for international security?"

So yeah, he non-chalantly asked me to answer a dissertation-level question in a class that I had been sitting in on for about thirty minutes. I said something about it the decisions of the member states requesting the cases having a greater impact on security than the decision of the court to specifically address certain issues, and then he said "interesting" and moved on.

Not the world's best story, but definitely terrifying since conventional wisdom has always been to STFU in those situations.


I think that's a different situation than the 0L visiting a class for ASW and volunteering to answer a question. Would have been tough for you to just say "lol no thanks prof."

Even at HLS ASW #1, one kid just went in on the negotiation clinic spouting off about ethics and moral pluralism to the entire 400 student audience. Talking about value positions and basically taking his philosophy class final paper and repeating. He appeared to think he was so ground-breaking and thought-provoking :roll:

User avatar
Mr. Peanutbutter
Posts: 8965
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:48 pm

Re: When you are visiting schools, DEFINITELY --

Postby Mr. Peanutbutter » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:37 pm

Biglaw1990 wrote:Which school?

I'm assuming Eric Posner teaches at Hyde Park SoL

User avatar
MikeSpivey
Posts: 2917
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: When you are visiting schools, DEFINITELY --

Postby MikeSpivey » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:40 pm

I've seen it first-hand!

User avatar
BirdLawExpert
Posts: 3134
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:09 pm

Re: When you are visiting schools, DEFINITELY --

Postby BirdLawExpert » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:50 pm

Leagles5161 wrote:That professor needs to chill the fuck out


somethingelse55 wrote:Thanks for sharing :shock:


4thand9 wrote:I think that's a different situation than the 0L visiting a class for ASW and volunteering to answer a question. Would have been tough for you to just say "lol no thanks prof."


Yeah, he was nice about it after the class and said he just thought I'd have an interesting perspective compared to the rest of his students. Still could have done with a heads up or a slightly less open-ended question than "does this very specific aspect of the ICC prevent it from accomplishing its strategic purpose?" :lol:


Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest