UF Law Class of 2019 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)

Have you started working on your first day assignments yet?

Yes
29%
No
43%
I'll Never Tell!
29%

Total votes: 7

evanesco

New

Re: UF Law Class of 2019

Post by evanesco » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:31 am

GatorToLS wrote:
__blah wrote:Does anyone know about using financial aid to purchase books?
I don't know about financial aid, but how are you planning to purchase books? I don't know if it's like undergrad (where online is better than onsite) or if it's worth renting.
I searched and compared prices for a lot of sites and it looks like it's cheapest to rent from Chegg & Amazon. Some of them are like $15 for the semester. There were a few I had to suck it up & pay for from the school bookstore or Amazon but they weren't bad (like $50 used).

__blah

New

Post by __blah » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:00 am

GatorToLS wrote:
I don't know about financial aid, but how are you planning to purchase books? I don't know if it's like undergrad (where online is better than onsite) or if it's worth renting.
I figured it out. Yay! I used the Law School bookstore and purchased used versions when available. I didn't want to rent. The prices were comparable to Amazon and chegg. I deffered to financial aid payment (you will need your student ID number). I selected in store pickup (email or call when they have your order ready).
Don't quote me you have to pay the taxes upfront.

Sonar80

Bronze

Post by Sonar80 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:36 pm

evanesco wrote:
GatorToLS wrote:
I searched and compared prices for a lot of sites and it looks like it's cheapest to rent from Chegg & Amazon. Some of them are like $15 for the semester. There were a few I had to suck it up & pay for from the school bookstore or Amazon but they weren't bad (like $50 used).
Yeah, I hope this week I can sit down and get all my books ordered, thanks for the heads up!

Kat1021

Bronze

Post by Kat1021 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:00 pm

Sonar80 wrote:
evanesco wrote:
GatorToLS wrote:
Yeah, I hope this week I can sit down and get all my books ordered, thanks for the heads up!
I went to the bookstore yesterday and was able to flip through the used/rentals. So if you go that route you can pick what you like best, i.e. one with the least highlighting

medtolaw

New

Post by medtolaw » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:45 pm

evanesco wrote:
medtolaw wrote:Wow so much activity over the past few days! I just got back to FL after an 1800 mile drive! Looks like I'm in Section 2 with some of you guys :)
Woo! :D

2 A or B? And which legal research/writing group?
2B and T

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:31 am

Kat1021 wrote:
Sonar80 wrote:
evanesco wrote:
GatorToLS wrote:
I went to the bookstore yesterday and was able to flip through the used/rentals. So if you go that route you can pick what you like best, i.e. one with the least highlighting
The ones that are highlighted well are the best finds. You guys being 0Ls will make it difficult to tell. But trust me, you'll appreciate having a used book from a person who knew what to highlight in previous years.

Kat1021

Bronze

Post by Kat1021 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:26 pm

lawman84 wrote:
Kat1021 wrote:
Sonar80 wrote:
evanesco wrote:
GatorToLS wrote:
The ones that are highlighted well are the best finds. You guys being 0Ls will make it difficult to tell. But trust me, you'll appreciate having a used book from a person who knew what to highlight in previous years.
However, this hinges on the prior highlighter actually knowing what they are doing.

evanesco

New

Post by evanesco » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:56 am

Hey, everyone! Don't forget to purchase your football tickets today! :D

Sonar80

Bronze

Post by Sonar80 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:35 am

evanesco wrote:Hey, everyone! Don't forget to purchase your football tickets today! :D
You're done with work now, right?!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

evanesco

New

Post by evanesco » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:37 am

Sonar80 wrote:
evanesco wrote:Hey, everyone! Don't forget to purchase your football tickets today! :D
Yep! Living the life of funemployment :D (and the life of being incredibly poor)

Sonar80

Bronze

Post by Sonar80 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:14 am

evanesco wrote:
Sonar80 wrote:
Yep! Living the life of funemployment :D (and the life of being incredibly poor)
I love that term, "funemployment" I have stolen it now. It is mine!

Kat1021

Bronze

Post by Kat1021 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:23 am

Sonar80 wrote:
evanesco wrote:
Sonar80 wrote:
My day: Got football tickets, went to gym, casually drank coffee. This is the life LOL

Sonar80

Bronze

Post by Sonar80 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:10 pm

Kat1021 wrote:
Sonar80 wrote:
evanesco wrote:
Sonar80 wrote:
My day: Got football tickets, went to gym, casually drank coffee. This is the life LOL
I slept in (for the first time in a while) and I have a deposition to go to later this afternoon, but other than that, I have nothing on the agenda but netlix and napping. lol

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

evanesco

New

Post by evanesco » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:12 pm

Sonar80 wrote: I slept in (for the first time in a while) and I have a deposition to go to later this afternoon, but other than that, I have nothing on the agenda but netlix and napping. lol

A depo? I thought you were funemployed too :|

Sonar80

Bronze

Post by Sonar80 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:25 pm

evanesco wrote:
Sonar80 wrote: I slept in (for the first time in a while) and I have a deposition to go to later this afternoon, but other than that, I have nothing on the agenda but netlix and napping. lol

A depo? I thought you were funemployed too :|
I am, but I have several outstanding cases that I have to deal with. I got served with a literal stack of subpoenas last week. So I guess I'm testifying on the house now. No big deal though, I like the Attorney I'm dealing with and I always look forward to getting to see him and some of my other friends at that office.

Sonar80

Bronze

Post by Sonar80 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:18 am

Shits is getting real ya'll!!! Just a few more days and we'll all be together embracing the suck! I can't be the only one that is pretty excited about the whole thing.

Also, I went to the UF bookstore yesterday, if you have a chance to go, it blew my mind as how much Gator paraphernalia there is. They have put the university logo on EVERYTHING you can imagine. No shit, I bet they had over 100k shirts in that place. It was pretty cool honestly, the Reitz Union is much larger than I remember.

Kat1021

Bronze

Post by Kat1021 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:38 am

Sonar80 wrote:Shits is getting real ya'll!!! Just a few more days and we'll all be together embracing the suck! I can't be the only one that is pretty excited about the whole thing.

Also, I went to the UF bookstore yesterday, if you have a chance to go, it blew my mind as how much Gator paraphernalia there is. They have put the university logo on EVERYTHING you can imagine. No shit, I bet they had over 100k shirts in that place. It was pretty cool honestly, the Reitz Union is much larger than I remember.

I feel the same- on all counts! I was also pretty amazed at the Levin sweatpants at the law school bookstore. Lol

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

evanesco

New

Post by evanesco » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:10 pm

Sonar80 wrote:Shits is getting real ya'll!!! Just a few more days and we'll all be together embracing the suck! I can't be the only one that is pretty excited about the whole thing.

I'm currently a bundle of excitement and nervousness! I think more excitement than anything though.

And they just redid the union! :D Probably why it's bigger than you remember. Did you know there's a bowling alley in there?!

Sonar80

Bronze

Post by Sonar80 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:16 pm

evanesco wrote:

I'm currently a bundle of excitement and nervousness! I think more excitement than anything though.

And they just redid the union! :D Probably why it's bigger than you remember. Did you know there's a bowling alley in there?!
Yeah, we used to go bowl and play pool when I was much younger. They have a movie theater and about a bajillion restaurants in there now. It's pretty cool.

Sonar80

Bronze

Post by Sonar80 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:20 pm

Check your emails. There was a wave of technical related emails sent out.

Also, side note: I don't know that it can get any more real than this, until we set foot in class/orientation. I'm so excited. I have most of my books in and am beside myself.

__blah

New

Post by __blah » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:37 pm

For the people who received scholarships, is the dollar amount you were award exact on the schools financial aid awards and disbursement page ?
Im only asking because mines is short a few hundred dollars, not a big deal just curious if they did it to everyone or is it a mistake.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Sonar80

Bronze

Post by Sonar80 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:12 pm

__blah wrote:For the people who received scholarships, is the dollar amount you were award exact on the schools financial aid awards and disbursement page ?
Im only asking because mines is short a few hundred dollars, not a big deal just curious if they did it to everyone or is it a mistake.
The dollar amount was exact on the financial aid awards page. After some math, based on the idea that we have 16 credit hours, I'm also a few hundo short.

__blah

New

Post by __blah » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:36 pm

Sonar80 wrote:
__blah wrote:For the people who received scholarships, is the dollar amount you were award exact on the schools financial aid awards and disbursement page ?
The dollar amount was exact on the financial aid awards page. After some math, based on the idea that we have 16 credit hours, I'm also a few hundo short.

did tuition go down by a few hundreds?

Sonar80

Bronze

Post by Sonar80 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:15 pm

__blah wrote:
Sonar80 wrote:

Not by my calculations, which have been known to be wrong. I have been out of town for a few days, I will put some more time and energy into figuring out it tomorrow.

__blah

New

Post by __blah » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:54 pm

Sonar80 wrote:
__blah wrote:
Sonar80 wrote:

Not by my calculations, which have been known to be wrong. I have been out of town for a few days, I will put some more time and energy into figuring out it tomorrow.

I spoke with financial aid and the original scholarship amount was based on what the school thought tuition would be raised to. Tuition was not raised so scholarship amounts will be adjusted to the price of tuition for everyone. Financial aid has not gotten to everyone yet but they will. They will also be adjusting grad plus loans as well.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”