University of Washington c/o 2019

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)

Will you be depositing at UW?

Of course. I bleed purple and gold.
9
50%
Ehh, not sure yet.
3
17%
Nah, I've got other plans.
6
33%
 
Total votes: 18

jsquared
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:48 pm

Re: University of Washington c/o 2019

Postby jsquared » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:50 pm

Navyhornguy wrote:
gastronomy wrote:
jsquared wrote:
gastronomy wrote:
jsquared wrote:Has anyone received their scholarship offers yet?


Nope. Still waiting.


Good to know it's not just me. They did say they would be released the week after the apps were due, right? The page has been taken down so I can't check


Yeah, they're supposed to be released the week after March 15th. But, I think one person posted in the UW Applicants page that he called admissions, and they told him, "early next week." Maybe they pushed decisions back? :?


It was me that had contacted admissions. This is what I got back:

"Scholarships will only be sent to UW e-mails, not personal e-mails. We had a slight hold up earlier this week due to complications with UW Central Registrar processing admitted students for us. We’re working to get scholarship packages sent out as soon as we can, by early next week at the latest."


Ok, thanks! How did you set up your UW email? I tried to access it and it told me my netID doesn't have access to that page.

jsquared
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:48 pm

Re: University of Washington c/o 2019

Postby jsquared » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:53 pm

Draconem wrote:I have only been able to set up email forwarding. Can someone help me figure out how to set up our actual UW emails?


I'm in the same position. I suppose that's good enough for getting scholarship packages, though.

User avatar
OtterLaw
Posts: 616
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:50 pm

Re: University of Washington c/o 2019

Postby OtterLaw » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:53 pm

jsquared wrote:
Navyhornguy wrote:
gastronomy wrote:
jsquared wrote:
gastronomy wrote:
jsquared wrote:Has anyone received their scholarship offers yet?


Nope. Still waiting.


Good to know it's not just me. They did say they would be released the week after the apps were due, right? The page has been taken down so I can't check


Yeah, they're supposed to be released the week after March 15th. But, I think one person posted in the UW Applicants page that he called admissions, and they told him, "early next week." Maybe they pushed decisions back? :?


It was me that had contacted admissions. This is what I got back:

"Scholarships will only be sent to UW e-mails, not personal e-mails. We had a slight hold up earlier this week due to complications with UW Central Registrar processing admitted students for us. We’re working to get scholarship packages sent out as soon as we can, by early next week at the latest."


Ok, thanks! How did you set up your UW email? I tried to access it and it told me my netID doesn't have access to that page.


And then I just got this, just now:

"I misinformed you and am writing to correct myself – you were originally correct, scholarship e-mails will be sent to your personal e-mail address. I apologize for this confusion! You’ll hear from us shortly!"

jsquared
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:48 pm

Re: University of Washington c/o 2019

Postby jsquared » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:55 pm

Oh, great! Here's to hoping we all get those fabled emails tomorrow

User avatar
gastronomy
Posts: 235
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:51 pm

Re: University of Washington c/o 2019

Postby gastronomy » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:30 pm

.
Last edited by gastronomy on Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
OtterLaw
Posts: 616
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:50 pm

Re: University of Washington c/o 2019

Postby OtterLaw » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:01 pm

Just got the scholarship email from Dean Le. They awarded me........................$0. I am withdrawing today because I'd rather go to Virginia than UW with no scholarship. Best of luck to the rest of you!

User avatar
forlornhope
Posts: 77
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:47 pm

Re: University of Washington c/o 2019

Postby forlornhope » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:07 pm

.
Last edited by forlornhope on Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jsquared
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:48 pm

Re: University of Washington c/o 2019

Postby jsquared » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:47 pm

forlornhope wrote:Just got my email, too. Currently my merit offer = $0...

This is quite disappointing. I'm not quite sure why being above 75% LSAT doesn't merit getting a single penny in assistance. The reminder about the FAFSA in the email about need-based aid is a bit of salt on the wound, for me, considering my spouse's income pretty much leaves me with nothing on that front. I like Seattle, but California is starting to look a little nicer.


I'm in the same position. Above 75% LSAT with very attractive offers from comparable schools but nothing from UW. It's very disappointing, but I'm holding out until after the 2nd round. Anyone know how likely it is to get money in the next round?

User avatar
gastronomy
Posts: 235
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:51 pm

Re: University of Washington c/o 2019

Postby gastronomy » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:01 pm

.
Last edited by gastronomy on Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rachellewrx
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:48 am

Re: University of Washington c/o 2019

Postby rachellewrx » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:42 am

Joining the $0 club. I ain't paying sticker price for UW. So withdrawing...

User avatar
robertwabisabi
Posts: 201
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:05 am

Re: University of Washington c/o 2019

Postby robertwabisabi » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:47 pm

ETA: I was asked to accept the scholarship by April 15th. If I don't accept the scholarship, it is given out during the second round of offers. Listed the UC offers to illustrate how much less scholarship money UW gives out, but also how much less UW costs.

I received a merit scholarship. I was also informed that I might receive a need-based scholarship as well. I am still in the running for the Gregoire Fellowship.

I am in-state at Washington, so I am looking at 31k/yr for tuition. Currently the other two schools under strong consideration for me are UC Davis and UCLA. Davis is almost full-tuition scholarship and UCLA is half. Each of the three options has pros and cons.

Because of the lower cost of living and in-state status, I will still have less debt with UW, even without the Gregoire fellowship. I am really looking for reasons to return to Seattle for law school and practice law in the pacific nw.

I would not consider UW strongly if I did not want to end up in the small Seattle legal market.

Although sticker is tough, if you are a WA resident, you would need a 30k/yr scholarship or more from a UC or t20 to equalize the cost of UW. (Tuition plus col for UW: ~50k; tuition plus col for t20: ~80k+)

For those waiting on scholarship info, the 2015 ABA report paints a pretty clear picture about what to expect. Of the 509 total enrolled students last year, ~40% paid sticker, ~30% received up to 9k, ~15% received 9k-14k. Of the remaining ~75 students, 18 were Gates Fellows (full tuition plus col), 40 received half to full tuition, and the rest received between 14k and half tuition.
Last edited by robertwabisabi on Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
gastronomy
Posts: 235
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:51 pm

Re: University of Washington c/o 2019

Postby gastronomy » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:21 pm

robertwabisabi wrote:I received a merit scholarship. I was also informed that I might receive a need-based scholarship as well. I am still in the running for the Gregoire Fellowship.

I am in-state at Washington, so I am looking at 31k/yr for tuition. Currently the other two schools under strong consideration for me are UC Davis and UCLA. Davis is almost full-tuition scholarship and UCLA is half. Each of the three options has pros and cons.

Because of the lower cost of living and in-state status, I will still have less debt with UW, even without the Gregoire fellowship. I am really looking for reasons to return to Seattle for law school and practice law in the pacific nw.

I would not consider UW strongly if I did not want to end up in the small Seattle legal market.

Although sticker is tough, if you are a WA resident, you would need a 30k/yr scholarship or more from a UC or t20 to equalize the cost of UW. (Tuition plus col for UW: ~50k; tuition plus col for t20: ~80k+)

For those waiting on scholarship info, the 2015 ABA report paints a pretty clear picture about what to expect. Of the 509 total enrolled students last year, ~40% paid sticker, ~30% received up to 9k, ~15% received 9k-14k. Of the remaining ~75 students, 18 were Gates Fellows (full tuition plus col), 40 received half to full tuition, and the rest received between 14k and half tuition.


Congrats, robertwabisabi! :D I appreciate you sharing your scholarship info!

User avatar
robertwabisabi
Posts: 201
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:05 am

Re: University of Washington c/o 2019

Postby robertwabisabi » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:41 pm

gastronomy wrote:Congrats, robertwabisabi! :D I appreciate you sharing your scholarship info!


Happy to provide more scholarship details via pm if you want any comparative data.

octobereve
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:43 pm

Re: University of Washington c/o 2019

Postby octobereve » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:53 pm

I was also surprised to see I received $0 in merit scholarships. If a Gregoire scholarship doesn't come through on April 4th I am not sure what I will do. It is hard to put down that $500 on April 15th before knowing anything about that second round of scholarship $$.

Did anyone who applied for the Gregoire Fellowship get a notice on Friday saying you WEREN'T in the running anymore? Or did they say that to everyone?

User avatar
robertwabisabi
Posts: 201
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:05 am

Re: University of Washington c/o 2019

Postby robertwabisabi » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:07 pm

octobereve wrote:I was also surprised to see I received $0 in merit scholarships. If a Gregoire scholarship doesn't come through on April 4th I am not sure what I will do. It is hard to put down that $500 on April 15th before knowing anything about that second round of scholarship $$.

Did anyone who applied for the Gregoire Fellowship get a notice on Friday saying you WEREN'T in the running anymore? Or did they say that to everyone?


I think the deposit deadline is May 1st.

April 15th is the deadline to accept scholarship offer.

Re: Gregoire - not sure about the selection process. Maybe everyone that applied is still under consideration until all apps have been reviewed.

User avatar
gastronomy
Posts: 235
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:51 pm

Re: University of Washington c/o 2019

Postby gastronomy » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:08 pm

.
Last edited by gastronomy on Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jsquared
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:48 pm

Re: University of Washington c/o 2019

Postby jsquared » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:09 pm

gastronomy wrote:Does anyone know what time Admitted Students' Day on April 8th begins and ends?

I tried searching the portal, but didn't see a specific time frame.


9:00am to 4:30pm. I found it on the page where you RSVP, which is a weird place to put it. Hope this helps!

User avatar
gastronomy
Posts: 235
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:51 pm

Re: University of Washington c/o 2019

Postby gastronomy » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:06 pm

.
Last edited by gastronomy on Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

keezmasterflex
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:05 pm

Re: University of Washington c/o 2019

Postby keezmasterflex » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:06 pm

gastronomy wrote:
jsquared wrote:
gastronomy wrote:Does anyone know what time Admitted Students' Day on April 8th begins and ends?

I tried searching the portal, but didn't see a specific time frame.


9:00am to 4:30pm. I found it on the page where you RSVP, which is a weird place to put it. Hope this helps!


Thanks so much! That helps a ton! Hope to see some of you guys there.


My girl and I will be there!

User avatar
gastronomy
Posts: 235
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:51 pm

Re: University of Washington c/o 2019

Postby gastronomy » Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:47 pm

What's everyone planning to wear to Accepted Students' Day? Are we supposed to dress a bit more formal, rather than casual?

mcmand
Posts: 406
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:45 pm

Re: University of Washington c/o 2019

Postby mcmand » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:38 pm

gastronomy wrote:What's everyone planning to wear to Accepted Students' Day? Are we supposed to dress a bit more formal, rather than casual?


I don't know about ASD itself, but for the reception the night before, all of us current students in attendance have been asked to wear at least business casual.

User avatar
gastronomy
Posts: 235
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:51 pm

Re: University of Washington c/o 2019

Postby gastronomy » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:18 pm

mcmand wrote:
gastronomy wrote:What's everyone planning to wear to Accepted Students' Day? Are we supposed to dress a bit more formal, rather than casual?


I don't know about ASD itself, but for the reception the night before, all of us current students in attendance have been asked to wear at least business casual.


Good to know! Thanks! I'll be attending the reception as well, so I'm looking forward to meeting everyone.

User avatar
forlornhope
Posts: 77
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:47 pm

Re: University of Washington c/o 2019

Postby forlornhope » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:25 pm

Any recommendations for parking? I'll be driving downtown that afternoon and don't really know the campus too well.

mcmand
Posts: 406
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:45 pm

Re: University of Washington c/o 2019

Postby mcmand » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:33 pm

forlornhope wrote:Any recommendations for parking? I'll be driving downtown that afternoon and don't really know the campus too well.


For Admitted Students Day, I would just show up really early to try to get one of the parking lots close to the law school. They fill up super quick in the morning with staff and students. But it will cost about $15 for the day.

For the evening event on Thursday night, ask to park in a lot close to the UW Faculty Club (i.e. Padelford or another lot near it).

westcoast16
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat May 30, 2015 9:47 pm

Re: University of Washington c/o 2019

Postby westcoast16 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:24 pm

gastronomy wrote:What's everyone planning to wear to Accepted Students' Day? Are we supposed to dress a bit more formal, rather than casual?


I'm definitely planning on dressing more on the casual side for both Thursday night and Friday - especially since they specified Thursday night as being informal. I've only ever been to one other ASD, but it was really casual (although more "nice jeans and cardigan" as opposed to "flip flops and shorts" kind of casual).


Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests