SMU Law Class of 2019

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)
User avatar
PatriotP74
Posts: 771
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:17 am

Re: SMU Law Class of 2019

Postby PatriotP74 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:32 pm

LawSoHard04 wrote:Anyone here taking the BARBRI class at the school the first week of August?

Also, anyone know what to expect from it?


Not taking it, but I am curious as to how it goes. Be sure to check in and let us know!


On another note I think we will be getting our schedules this week, everyone be sure to get the hold taken off your account!

LawSoHard04
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:49 am

Re: SMU Law Class of 2019

Postby LawSoHard04 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:27 am

PatriotP74 wrote:
LawSoHard04 wrote:Anyone here taking the BARBRI class at the school the first week of August?

Also, anyone know what to expect from it?


Not taking it, but I am curious as to how it goes. Be sure to check in and let us know!


On another note I think we will be getting our schedules this week, everyone be sure to get the hold taken off your account!


Yeah, I'll definitely be back on this thread to spread some knowledge. But I'm thrilled to finally get to schedule out my days. Total OCD personality over here. Lots of things to do after you are enrolled too!

twokings
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:08 am

Re: SMU Law Class of 2019

Postby twokings » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:31 pm

Has anyone been enrolled yet?

User avatar
PatriotP74
Posts: 771
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:17 am

Re: SMU Law Class of 2019

Postby PatriotP74 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:43 pm

twokings wrote:Has anyone been enrolled yet?


They said on the facebook page it would be early next week!

ChampionshipPressure
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:07 pm

Re: SMU Law Class of 2019

Postby ChampionshipPressure » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:57 pm

PatriotP74 wrote:
twokings wrote:Has anyone been enrolled yet?


They said on the facebook page it would be early next week!


Class schedules are up on my.smu.edu

thetravelinglawyer
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:13 pm

Re: SMU Law Class of 2019

Postby thetravelinglawyer » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:39 pm

Looks like I'm in section 2 - anyone else?

Section 2 schedule:

Monday 11-11:50 (Crim Law), 1:30-2:20 (Property)
Tuesday 9-10:15 (Torts), 11-12:15 (Civ Pro), 2-3:15 (LRWA)
Wednesday 9-9:50 (Contracts), 11-11:50 (Crim Law), 1:30-2:20 (Property)
Thursday 9-10:15 (Torts), 11-12:15 (Civ Pro), 2-3:15 (LRWA)
Friday 9-9:50 (Contracts), 11-11:50 (Crim Law)

Profs are Palacios for Crim Law, Robinson for Property, Mayo for Torts, Colangelo for Civ Pro, and Crespi for Contracts.

Pretty happy with the schedule, I appreciate the late Monday start and being done by lunchtime on Fridays. I don't know enough about the professors yet to know whether this was a good or bad draw there.

User avatar
PatriotP74
Posts: 771
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:17 am

Re: SMU Law Class of 2019

Postby PatriotP74 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:49 pm

Section 3 here!

User avatar
p1921
Posts: 171
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:50 pm

Re: SMU Law Class of 2019

Postby p1921 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:52 pm

thetravelinglawyer wrote:Looks like I'm in section 2 - anyone else?

Section 2 schedule:

Monday 11-11:50 (Crim Law), 1:30-2:20 (Property)
Tuesday 9-10:15 (Torts), 11-12:15 (Civ Pro), 2-3:15 (LRWA)
Wednesday 9-9:50 (Contracts), 11-11:50 (Crim Law), 1:30-2:20 (Property)
Thursday 9-10:15 (Torts), 11-12:15 (Civ Pro), 2-3:15 (LRWA)
Friday 9-9:50 (Contracts), 11-11:50 (Crim Law)

Profs are Palacios for Crim Law, Robinson for Property, Mayo for Torts, Colangelo for Civ Pro, and Crespi for Contracts.

Pretty happy with the schedule, I appreciate the late Monday start and being done by lunchtime on Fridays. I don't know enough about the professors yet to know whether this was a good or bad draw there.


Not a bad draw. I had each of them except Crespi last year.

ChampionshipPressure
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:07 pm

Re: SMU Law Class of 2019

Postby ChampionshipPressure » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:34 pm

Section 2 here as well. I've heard great things about Crespi from alumni. I really like section 2's schedule.

thetravelinglawyer
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:13 pm

Re: SMU Law Class of 2019

Postby thetravelinglawyer » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:35 pm

Does anyone have any suggestions on textbooks - which to rent vs buy, which to get new vs used, etc? Leaning towards renting new for all of them, seems like the best compromise between cost vs avoiding excessive highlighting/notes from previous owners.
Last edited by thetravelinglawyer on Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
BeatriceButler
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:24 am

Re: SMU Law Class of 2019

Postby BeatriceButler » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:52 pm

Section 2 over here.

brother3
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:10 am

Re: SMU Law Class of 2019

Postby brother3 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:28 pm

Section 1 checking in. Does anyone know if we can easily determine the other pupils sharing our sections or are we only privy to our own?

User avatar
p1921
Posts: 171
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:50 pm

Re: SMU Law Class of 2019

Postby p1921 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:38 pm

thetravelinglawyer wrote:Does anyone have any suggestions on textbooks - which to rent vs buy, which to get new vs used, etc? Leaning towards renting new for all of them, seems like the best compromise between cost vs avoiding excessive highlighting/notes from previous owners.


If you like to write on the books, buy. If you hate seeing pages highlighted, rent (don't buy new if you can avoid it). I bought mine used if I could, and a couple of them had excellent highlighting and notes. All the highlighted parts were actually the important aspects of the case, and it was very helpful when I didn't read and just wanted to skim before class. On the same note, one had really shitty highlighting - everything was highlighted, just in different colors. It didn't bother me, but it would have really bothered some.

Tldr; do what you're comfortable with. By now you've been through undergrad and know what kind of things will bother you.

User avatar
tfer2222
Posts: 374
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:20 pm

Re: SMU Law Class of 2019

Postby tfer2222 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:30 am

p1921 wrote:
thetravelinglawyer wrote:Looks like I'm in section 2 - anyone else?

Section 2 schedule:

Monday 11-11:50 (Crim Law), 1:30-2:20 (Property)
Tuesday 9-10:15 (Torts), 11-12:15 (Civ Pro), 2-3:15 (LRWA)
Wednesday 9-9:50 (Contracts), 11-11:50 (Crim Law), 1:30-2:20 (Property)
Thursday 9-10:15 (Torts), 11-12:15 (Civ Pro), 2-3:15 (LRWA)
Friday 9-9:50 (Contracts), 11-11:50 (Crim Law)

Profs are Palacios for Crim Law, Robinson for Property, Mayo for Torts, Colangelo for Civ Pro, and Crespi for Contracts.

Pretty happy with the schedule, I appreciate the late Monday start and being done by lunchtime on Fridays. I don't know enough about the professors yet to know whether this was a good or bad draw there.


Not a bad draw. I had each of them except Crespi last year.


Graduated several years ago (cringe) and had Crespi for total of four classes, including both contracts. I personally loved him. Gives you a book of all of his old exams (which are pretty classic racehorse issue spotters). Doesn't cold call. Some people thought he was terribly boring in class, but all I cared about was that he was cool, he didn't cold call and I could practice his exams a ton early on. You also barely ever have to actually read the casebook.

texasrangersjb
Posts: 182
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:08 am

Re: SMU Law Class of 2019

Postby texasrangersjb » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:02 pm

p1921 wrote:
If you like to write on the books, buy.


Why is that? You can write in books that you rent. Books can be returned with writing or highlighting, just no water damage, binding damage, things like that.

LawSoHard04
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:49 am

Re: SMU Law Class of 2019

Postby LawSoHard04 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:29 am

LawSoHard04 wrote:
PatriotP74 wrote:
LawSoHard04 wrote:Anyone here taking the BARBRI class at the school the first week of August?

Also, anyone know what to expect from it?


Not taking it, but I am curious as to how it goes. Be sure to check in and let us know!


On another note I think we will be getting our schedules this week, everyone be sure to get the hold taken off your account!


Yeah, I'll definitely be back on this thread to spread some knowledge. But I'm thrilled to finally get to schedule out my days. Total OCD personality over here. Lots of things to do after you are enrolled too!


Hey ya'll, just finished up the law preview course this past week. Really helpful actually. I'll admit, I didn't know much about anything going into it so it definitely helped me get a grasp on things. Met a ton of sweet people too. About 30 or so total in the class I'd say.

Basically they go day-to-day to overview each first year course and then you get "Academic Success" tips - how to do well on exams and in school in general. I found the "tips" part the most helpful. Professors were from all over, a couple were really fun and taught the classes very well. One professor from UHLC was awesome - she was wicked smart (valedictorian of law class) and knew exactly what the students wanted to learn about exams and writing classes.

If anyone has any other questions about the gig, let me know. I'll be happy to answer. They did tell us there's an online version of the course that "we can share with our friends." So that may be worth checking out if you're interested. Looking forward to the start of school!

- LawSoHard04

User avatar
BVest
Posts: 7514
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: SMU Law Class of 2019

Postby BVest » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:02 am

Looks like most of my 1L profs are not teaching 1L courses this year, but for those of you in section 3 (Civ Pro) and for the returning 2Es (Property, Con Law I), here are my outlines.

Civ Pro (Prof. Thornburg) is probably getting dated (Daimler, Walden). Con Law I (Prof. Bloom) might be as well (Zivitofsky, Spokeo). Seems like property (Forrester) never changes though, unless she no longer uses her book.

DCOptOut
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:27 pm

Re: SMU Law Class of 2019

Postby DCOptOut » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:44 pm

BVest wrote:Looks like most of my 1L profs are not teaching 1L courses this year, but for those of you in section 3 (Civ Pro) and for the returning 2Es (Property, Con Law I), here are my outlines.

Civ Pro (Prof. Thornburg) is probably getting dated (Daimler, Walden). Con Law I (Prof. Bloom) might be as well (Zivitofsky, Spokeo). Seems like property (Forrester) never changes though, unless she no longer uses her book.


Doing the lord's work.

User avatar
PatriotP74
Posts: 771
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:17 am

Re: SMU Law Class of 2019

Postby PatriotP74 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:35 pm

So did anyone else end up in section 3?

User avatar
thisiswater
Posts: 1064
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 1:51 am

Re: SMU Law Class of 2019

Postby thisiswater » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:38 pm

Thought I would check in on y'all. I'm class of 2018 and an evening student so I'm now in my 3rd year. If anyone needs Martinez, Kahn, Jenks, Gaba outlines let me know, I'm happy to share. Past that, if there's any info I can give about SMU, first year stuff, job stuff, etc feel free to post.

ChampionshipPressure
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:07 pm

Re: SMU Law Class of 2019

Postby ChampionshipPressure » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:13 pm

If anyone in section 2 wants to chat, PM me. I'm not the "enforcer" btw, (if you're really in section 2, you'll know who that is). It's been an interesting first few weeks, that's for sure.

147221
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:32 pm

Re: SMU Law Class of 2019

Postby 147221 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:51 pm

Deleted
Last edited by 147221 on Fri May 12, 2017 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DCOptOut
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:27 pm

Re: SMU Law Class of 2019

Postby DCOptOut » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:21 pm

EquitiesinDallas wrote:Has anyone heard about people getting 1L interviews with any of the Big Law firms in Dallas? Several classes have already been filled and I haven't heard of anyone even getting a shot to interview?


I've only heard of it from an extremely small amount of people, but even those were top 10% and IP or diversity or had some really special work experience. It seems like all the big law firms in Dallas are offering to students at higher ranking schools, and then possibly may offer to anyone at SMU if they have an spots leftover, which really sucks for us at SMU.

thetravelinglawyer
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:13 pm

Re: SMU Law Class of 2019

Postby thetravelinglawyer » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:55 pm

DCOptOut wrote:
EquitiesinDallas wrote:Has anyone heard about people getting 1L interviews with any of the Big Law firms in Dallas? Several classes have already been filled and I haven't heard of anyone even getting a shot to interview?


I've only heard of it from an extremely small amount of people, but even those were top 10% and IP or diversity or had some really special work experience. It seems like all the big law firms in Dallas are offering to students at higher ranking schools, and then possibly may offer to anyone at SMU if they have an spots leftover, which really sucks for us at SMU.


Yep. I know five people in my section with offers in BigLaw and one in Houston. Almost all had connections or were IP/diversity. I know a couple more who interviewed but no offer. Three firms straight up told me they save their summer 1L slots for Harvard/Yale.


Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest