UNC Law Class of 2019

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)

Where are you from?

North Carolina
8
67%
The South
2
17%
Mid-west
0
No votes
Northeast
1
8%
The West
1
8%
 
Total votes: 12

gator_guy93
Posts: 103
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:14 pm

UNC Law Class of 2019

Postby gator_guy93 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:00 pm

The University of North Carolina School of Law Class of 2019


Image

Image

Image


http://www.law.unc.edu/

https://admitted.law.unc.edu/

http://www.law.unc.edu/career/employmentdata/

Class of 2018 numbers]
LSAT
75%- 164
50%- 161
25%- 160

GPA
75%- 3.68
50%- 3.49
25%- 3.31

ASD's this year
April 1st and April 8th :D

Tuition costs
Out of State: $39,672
In state: $23,041

Seat Deposit Due Dates
1st Deposit Due April 8th
2nd Deposit Due June 10th
Last edited by gator_guy93 on Wed May 04, 2016 11:32 am, edited 13 times in total.

User avatar
fishpaste1
Posts: 266
Joined: Wed May 20, 2015 3:25 pm

Re: UNC Law Class of 2019

Postby fishpaste1 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:39 pm

Checking in! There's a very good chance I end up here.

I'll be at the ASD on April 8th and I'm looking forward to meeting some of y'all!

gator_guy93
Posts: 103
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:14 pm

Re: UNC Law Class of 2019

Postby gator_guy93 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:56 pm

fishpaste1 wrote:Checking in! There's a very good chance I end up here.

I'll be at the ASD on April 8th and I'm looking forward to meeting some of y'all!


That's awesome!! Are you from NC? Any idea about where you're going to live?

User avatar
fishpaste1
Posts: 266
Joined: Wed May 20, 2015 3:25 pm

Re: UNC Law Class of 2019

Postby fishpaste1 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:31 pm

gator_guy93 wrote:
fishpaste1 wrote:Checking in! There's a very good chance I end up here.

I'll be at the ASD on April 8th and I'm looking forward to meeting some of y'all!


That's awesome!! Are you from NC? Any idea about where you're going to live?


.
Last edited by fishpaste1 on Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gator_guy93
Posts: 103
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:14 pm

Re: UNC Law Class of 2019

Postby gator_guy93 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:04 am

fishpaste1 wrote:
gator_guy93 wrote:
fishpaste1 wrote:Checking in! There's a very good chance I end up here.

I'll be at the ASD on April 8th and I'm looking forward to meeting some of y'all!


That's awesome!! Are you from NC? Any idea about where you're going to live?


Yup, from the Raleigh/Durham area. I honestly haven't looked into housing too much yet. I'll start once I'm 100% sure I'm going to Carolina.

Have you looked into housing yet?


Yes. I have. I was looking into a place, but I would have to get a park and ride to commute, which is fine. It is only about 4 miles away from the law school but I don't think it is on a bus route.

TheReal1
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:37 pm

Re: UNC Law Class of 2019

Postby TheReal1 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:39 pm

Bump

David44357
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:33 am

Re: UNC Law Class of 2019

Postby David44357 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:51 am

I am also going to UNC School of Law and just attended one of the Admitted Students Days yesterday. Is anyone else already looking for study buddies or study groups?

gator_guy93
Posts: 103
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:14 pm

Re: UNC Law Class of 2019

Postby gator_guy93 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:47 am

David44357 wrote:I am also going to UNC School of Law and just attended one of the Admitted Students Days yesterday. Is anyone else already looking for study buddies or study groups?


Yeah! I just submitted my deposit so certainly looking for new friends and study groups!!

User avatar
fishpaste1
Posts: 266
Joined: Wed May 20, 2015 3:25 pm

Re: UNC Law Class of 2019

Postby fishpaste1 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:37 pm

gator_guy93 wrote:
David44357 wrote:I am also going to UNC School of Law and just attended one of the Admitted Students Days yesterday. Is anyone else already looking for study buddies or study groups?


Yeah! I just submitted my deposit so certainly looking for new friends and study groups!!


.
Last edited by fishpaste1 on Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gator_guy93
Posts: 103
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:14 pm

Re: UNC Law Class of 2019

Postby gator_guy93 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:01 pm

fishpaste1 wrote:
gator_guy93 wrote:
David44357 wrote:I am also going to UNC School of Law and just attended one of the Admitted Students Days yesterday. Is anyone else already looking for study buddies or study groups?


Yeah! I just submitted my deposit so certainly looking for new friends and study groups!!


Congrats dude! What'd you guys think about ASD last Friday?

I'm going this Friday and I'm pretty excited to see what the school looks like in action.

Also, putting my deposit down today. It's getting real :mrgreen:


I enjoyed it! Pretty informative, everyone was nice and helpful and seemed to genuinely care. Also during lunch they had a ton of clubs out to talk with students and they had a ton of UNC law swag to purchase (shirts, sweaters, hats, cups etc) so if you wanna buy some cool stuff bring cash!

TheReal1
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:37 pm

Re: UNC Law Class of 2019

Postby TheReal1 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:35 am

Now that the deadline has passed, who is excited to be a Tar Heel lawyer!! I am :lol:

gator_guy93
Posts: 103
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:14 pm

Re: UNC Law Class of 2019

Postby gator_guy93 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:35 pm

TheReal1 wrote:Now that the deadline has passed, who is excited to be a Tar Heel lawyer!! I am :lol:


Definitely. Wish I could edit this thread and add some pictures, but apparently I don't have enough posts.

User avatar
mpr32
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:29 pm

Re: UNC Law Class of 2019

Postby mpr32 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:35 pm

I attended the April 8th ASD, as well! Sat in the back with bf who kept falling asleep haha. Put down my deposit on Monday. Definitely looking for study groups as well.
Thinking of Shadowood, Glen Lenox, Chamber Ridge or Timber Hollow for places to live. Alta Springs and Meadowmont are a bit out of my price range (trying to stay below 1,000).

User avatar
fishpaste1
Posts: 266
Joined: Wed May 20, 2015 3:25 pm

Re: UNC Law Class of 2019

Postby fishpaste1 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:44 pm

Posted it in the other thread, but I guess I'll post in here as well. Newest employment data: http://www.law.unc.edu/documents/career ... rt2015.pdf

27% Big Law + Fed Clerk, which is one of the higher rates outside of the T-14. Always good to see.

User avatar
lawhopesdreams
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:08 pm

Re: UNC Law Class of 2019

Postby lawhopesdreams » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:57 pm

Officially a Tar Heel as of today.

gator_guy93
Posts: 103
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:14 pm

Re: UNC Law Class of 2019

Postby gator_guy93 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:08 am

fishpaste1 wrote:Posted it in the other thread, but I guess I'll post in here as well. Newest employment data: http://www.law.unc.edu/documents/career ... rt2015.pdf

27% Big Law + Fed Clerk, which is one of the higher rates outside of the T-14. Always good to see.


New employment stats aren't bad. Especially the Big Law + Fed Clerk. Definitely outperforming their US News ranking in that aspect.

David44357
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:33 am

Re: UNC Law Class of 2019

Postby David44357 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:01 pm

mpr32 wrote:I attended the April 8th ASD, as well! Sat in the back with bf who kept falling asleep haha. Put down my deposit on Monday. Definitely looking for study groups as well.
Thinking of Shadowood, Glen Lenox, Chamber Ridge or Timber Hollow for places to live. Alta Springs and Meadowmont are a bit out of my price range (trying to stay below 1,000).


I may have started a poor precedence by talking about forming study buddies/groups this early. Someone just mentioned to me that you need to study with people in the same section and we aren't assigned a section until much closer to the school year. Hope to see some of you there come August anyway!

-David King

bookofblue
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun May 01, 2016 10:09 am

Re: UNC Law Class of 2019

Postby bookofblue » Sun May 01, 2016 12:36 pm

Hey y'all, congratulations on being a Tar Heel! I am happy to answer any questions you might have about 1L life in Chapel Hill - I transferred after my first year at UNC law, but not because I didn't love it (quite the opposite). I'm sure I'm one of many people with some institutional loyalty to Chapel Hill willing to help y'all out, but if my perspective can help I will surely offer my input

gator_guy93
Posts: 103
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:14 pm

Re: UNC Law Class of 2019

Postby gator_guy93 » Sun May 01, 2016 12:58 pm

bookofblue wrote:Hey y'all, congratulations on being a Tar Heel! I am happy to answer any questions you might have about 1L life in Chapel Hill - I transferred after my first year at UNC law, but not because I didn't love it (quite the opposite). I'm sure I'm one of many people with some institutional loyalty to Chapel Hill willing to help y'all out, but if my perspective can help I will surely offer my input


Hey thanks for answering questions. May I ask why you transferred? I am assuming you just had great 1L grades and transferred up to a higher ranked school?

bookofblue
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun May 01, 2016 10:09 am

Re: UNC Law Class of 2019

Postby bookofblue » Sun May 01, 2016 1:27 pm

gator_guy93 wrote:
bookofblue wrote:Hey y'all, congratulations on being a Tar Heel! I am happy to answer any questions you might have about 1L life in Chapel Hill - I transferred after my first year at UNC law, but not because I didn't love it (quite the opposite). I'm sure I'm one of many people with some institutional loyalty to Chapel Hill willing to help y'all out, but if my perspective can help I will surely offer my input


Hey thanks for answering questions. May I ask why you transferred? I am assuming you just had great 1L grades and transferred up to a higher ranked school?


Yes, that is correct. It was a complicated decision for me, largely because I loved Chapel Hill. But having the experience of seeing the "higher ranked" school for myself, I could not have asked for a better 1L education. UNC Law professors teach the law in its most practical sense, while many of the high brow institutions allow their professors lots of room (far too much in my opinion) to talk policy, even in black letter classes where knowing the law is actually critical. Coming from UNC, I noticed I retained far more civil procedure and basic contract and property law than some of my peers at my new school, because professors at UNC actually take their roles as educators seriously rather than prioritizing the academy.

I go back in forth on the transfer decision, but I think it was ultimately right for me. I don't think it is right for everyone, especially if you want to stay in NC or even the southeast (that includes Atlanta). If you are in the top 20 at UNC Law, you can have the pick of the biglaw litter. Not only that, but professors and administrators will go to bat for you if you ask (that goes the same for all students, above median or not). I still have good relationships with my UNC professors, largely because they are nice genuine people who care about students. Can't say the same for other schools having had two different experiences already.

One negative thing about UNC is the course selection for business / transactional related subjects. Besides BA and SecReg, there are no corporate law related courses. Not only that, but cross-regs with Kenan-Flagler is damn near impossible if you are not a joint degree student. Taking classes at Duke is something to consider early if you want to pursue that kind of stuff.

gator_guy93
Posts: 103
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:14 pm

Re: UNC Law Class of 2019

Postby gator_guy93 » Tue May 03, 2016 11:18 pm

bookofblue wrote:
gator_guy93 wrote:
bookofblue wrote:Hey y'all, congratulations on being a Tar Heel! I am happy to answer any questions you might have about 1L life in Chapel Hill - I transferred after my first year at UNC law, but not because I didn't love it (quite the opposite). I'm sure I'm one of many people with some institutional loyalty to Chapel Hill willing to help y'all out, but if my perspective can help I will surely offer my input


Hey thanks for answering questions. May I ask why you transferred? I am assuming you just had great 1L grades and transferred up to a higher ranked school?


Yes, that is correct. It was a complicated decision for me, largely because I loved Chapel Hill. But having the experience of seeing the "higher ranked" school for myself, I could not have asked for a better 1L education. UNC Law professors teach the law in its most practical sense, while many of the high brow institutions allow their professors lots of room (far too much in my opinion) to talk policy, even in black letter classes where knowing the law is actually critical. Coming from UNC, I noticed I retained far more civil procedure and basic contract and property law than some of my peers at my new school, because professors at UNC actually take their roles as educators seriously rather than prioritizing the academy.

I go back in forth on the transfer decision, but I think it was ultimately right for me. I don't think it is right for everyone, especially if you want to stay in NC or even the southeast (that includes Atlanta). If you are in the top 20 at UNC Law, you can have the pick of the biglaw litter. Not only that, but professors and administrators will go to bat for you if you ask (that goes the same for all students, above median or not). I still have good relationships with my UNC professors, largely because they are nice genuine people who care about students. Can't say the same for other schools having had two different experiences already.

One negative thing about UNC is the course selection for business / transactional related subjects. Besides BA and SecReg, there are no corporate law related courses. Not only that, but cross-regs with Kenan-Flagler is damn near impossible if you are not a joint degree student. Taking classes at Duke is something to consider early if you want to pursue that kind of stuff.


This is great info!!

gator_guy93
Posts: 103
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:14 pm

Re: UNC Law Class of 2019

Postby gator_guy93 » Tue May 03, 2016 11:19 pm

gator_guy93 wrote:
bookofblue wrote:
gator_guy93 wrote:
bookofblue wrote:Hey y'all, congratulations on being a Tar Heel! I am happy to answer any questions you might have about 1L life in Chapel Hill - I transferred after my first year at UNC law, but not because I didn't love it (quite the opposite). I'm sure I'm one of many people with some institutional loyalty to Chapel Hill willing to help y'all out, but if my perspective can help I will surely offer my input


Hey thanks for answering questions. May I ask why you transferred? I am assuming you just had great 1L grades and transferred up to a higher ranked school?


Yes, that is correct. It was a complicated decision for me, largely because I loved Chapel Hill. But having the experience of seeing the "higher ranked" school for myself, I could not have asked for a better 1L education. UNC Law professors teach the law in its most practical sense, while many of the high brow institutions allow their professors lots of room (far too much in my opinion) to talk policy, even in black letter classes where knowing the law is actually critical. Coming from UNC, I noticed I retained far more civil procedure and basic contract and property law than some of my peers at my new school, because professors at UNC actually take their roles as educators seriously rather than prioritizing the academy.

I go back in forth on the transfer decision, but I think it was ultimately right for me. I don't think it is right for everyone, especially if you want to stay in NC or even the southeast (that includes Atlanta). If you are in the top 20 at UNC Law, you can have the pick of the biglaw litter. Not only that, but professors and administrators will go to bat for you if you ask (that goes the same for all students, above median or not). I still have good relationships with my UNC professors, largely because they are nice genuine people who care about students. Can't say the same for other schools having had two different experiences already.

One negative thing about UNC is the course selection for business / transactional related subjects. Besides BA and SecReg, there are no corporate law related courses. Not only that, but cross-regs with Kenan-Flagler is damn near impossible if you are not a joint degree student. Taking classes at Duke is something to consider early if you want to pursue that kind of stuff.


This is great info!!


Thank you for sharing :)

gator_guy93
Posts: 103
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:14 pm

Re: UNC Law Class of 2019

Postby gator_guy93 » Tue May 03, 2016 11:20 pm

David44357 wrote:
mpr32 wrote:I attended the April 8th ASD, as well! Sat in the back with bf who kept falling asleep haha. Put down my deposit on Monday. Definitely looking for study groups as well.
Thinking of Shadowood, Glen Lenox, Chamber Ridge or Timber Hollow for places to live. Alta Springs and Meadowmont are a bit out of my price range (trying to stay below 1,000).


I may have started a poor precedence by talking about forming study buddies/groups this early. Someone just mentioned to me that you need to study with people in the same section and we aren't assigned a section until much closer to the school year. Hope to see some of you there come August anyway!

-David King


I say we can still all be friends :wink:

User avatar
HangingAround
Posts: 92
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:21 pm

Re: UNC Law Class of 2019

Postby HangingAround » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:36 pm

bookofblue wrote:
gator_guy93 wrote:
bookofblue wrote:Hey y'all, congratulations on being a Tar Heel! I am happy to answer any questions you might have about 1L life in Chapel Hill - I transferred after my first year at UNC law, but not because I didn't love it (quite the opposite). I'm sure I'm one of many people with some institutional loyalty to Chapel Hill willing to help y'all out, but if my perspective can help I will surely offer my input


Hey thanks for answering questions. May I ask why you transferred? I am assuming you just had great 1L grades and transferred up to a higher ranked school?


Yes, that is correct. It was a complicated decision for me, largely because I loved Chapel Hill. But having the experience of seeing the "higher ranked" school for myself, I could not have asked for a better 1L education. UNC Law professors teach the law in its most practical sense, while many of the high brow institutions allow their professors lots of room (far too much in my opinion) to talk policy, even in black letter classes where knowing the law is actually critical. Coming from UNC, I noticed I retained far more civil procedure and basic contract and property law than some of my peers at my new school, because professors at UNC actually take their roles as educators seriously rather than prioritizing the academy.

I go back in forth on the transfer decision, but I think it was ultimately right for me. I don't think it is right for everyone, especially if you want to stay in NC or even the southeast (that includes Atlanta). If you are in the top 20 at UNC Law, you can have the pick of the biglaw litter. Not only that, but professors and administrators will go to bat for you if you ask (that goes the same for all students, above median or not). I still have good relationships with my UNC professors, largely because they are nice genuine people who care about students. Can't say the same for other schools having had two different experiences already.

One negative thing about UNC is the course selection for business / transactional related subjects. Besides BA and SecReg, there are no corporate law related courses. Not only that, but cross-regs with Kenan-Flagler is damn near impossible if you are not a joint degree student. Taking classes at Duke is something to consider early if you want to pursue that kind of stuff.


Doesn't seem that light on business subjects, as I guess no school could afford to be with it being the basis for most the jobs. There are a ton listed as upper level courses on the law site, though I imagine a good number of them are offered rarely. On connect carolina for courses being offered in the fall there are courses for business associations (like you mentioned), bankruptcy, secured transactions (perhaps that is the Securities regulation that you mentioned), international business transactions, banking law, nonprofit law, a health/finance class, and construction law (sure why not, it's all business). I know you mentioned courses specifically but then for more corporate experience there is the Community Development clinic doing corporate/transactional work for nonprofits development orgs, the Center for Banking and Finance, and the NC Banking Institute Journal.

bookofblue
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun May 01, 2016 10:09 am

Re: UNC Law Class of 2019

Postby bookofblue » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:36 pm

HangingAround wrote:
bookofblue wrote:
gator_guy93 wrote:
bookofblue wrote:Hey y'all, congratulations on being a Tar Heel! I am happy to answer any questions you might have about 1L life in Chapel Hill - I transferred after my first year at UNC law, but not because I didn't love it (quite the opposite). I'm sure I'm one of many people with some institutional loyalty to Chapel Hill willing to help y'all out, but if my perspective can help I will surely offer my input


Hey thanks for answering questions. May I ask why you transferred? I am assuming you just had great 1L grades and transferred up to a higher ranked school?


Yes, that is correct. It was a complicated decision for me, largely because I loved Chapel Hill. But having the experience of seeing the "higher ranked" school for myself, I could not have asked for a better 1L education. UNC Law professors teach the law in its most practical sense, while many of the high brow institutions allow their professors lots of room (far too much in my opinion) to talk policy, even in black letter classes where knowing the law is actually critical. Coming from UNC, I noticed I retained far more civil procedure and basic contract and property law than some of my peers at my new school, because professors at UNC actually take their roles as educators seriously rather than prioritizing the academy.

I go back in forth on the transfer decision, but I think it was ultimately right for me. I don't think it is right for everyone, especially if you want to stay in NC or even the southeast (that includes Atlanta). If you are in the top 20 at UNC Law, you can have the pick of the biglaw litter. Not only that, but professors and administrators will go to bat for you if you ask (that goes the same for all students, above median or not). I still have good relationships with my UNC professors, largely because they are nice genuine people who care about students. Can't say the same for other schools having had two different experiences already.

One negative thing about UNC is the course selection for business / transactional related subjects. Besides BA and SecReg, there are no corporate law related courses. Not only that, but cross-regs with Kenan-Flagler is damn near impossible if you are not a joint degree student. Taking classes at Duke is something to consider early if you want to pursue that kind of stuff.


Doesn't seem that light on business subjects, as I guess no school could afford to be with it being the basis for most the jobs. There are a ton listed as upper level courses on the law site, though I imagine a good number of them are offered rarely. On connect carolina for courses being offered in the fall there are courses for business associations (like you mentioned), bankruptcy, secured transactions (perhaps that is the Securities regulation that you mentioned), international business transactions, banking law, nonprofit law, a health/finance class, and construction law (sure why not, it's all business). I know you mentioned courses specifically but then for more corporate experience there is the Community Development clinic doing corporate/transactional work for nonprofits development orgs, the Center for Banking and Finance, and the NC Banking Institute Journal.


A few things:

(1) bankruptcy, secured transactions, banking law, nonprofit orgs, health/finance, and construction law are not your typical "corporate" subjects that are practiced in biglaw. Bankruptcy is very focused on commercial (i.e. individual Ch. 7 and 13) matters, not Ch. 11 corporate (though there may be a class taught by an adjunct). Secured transactions is heavily commercial based, though is important conceptually for larger corporate matters. The final three are regulatory or litigation focused. IBT you are right - overstated my point.
(2) Banking law is pretty specific. It is more corporate related, but not in the since of biglaw practices. Again, highly regulatory, not transactional.
(3) The banking journal, and Lisa Broome, are fantastic. Given Charlotte as a large merchant banking hub, the focus there could be highly beneficial if you like it. But it is NOT investment banking focused. Very much focused on depository institutions.
(4) The community dev. clinic is great, but nonprofit focused. If you want to do transactional biglaw, it is not the same, though might be helpful.


The context here is that UNC places really well in NC, which means its focused on more middle market subjects that most UNC grads go into. Word on the street is the new Dean is trying to change that and expand the curriculum to more M&A / biglaw-centric transactional stuff, so this could change.


Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bobrino and 1 guest