UChicago c/o 2019 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)
chicago-gunner123

New

Re: UChicago c/o 2019

Post by chicago-gunner123 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:36 am

tappatappatappa wrote:Can any current students share advice about negotiating scholarships? I'm leaning toward Chicago after ASW and I think a little more money would help me get over the mental hurdle of giving up a ton more money at other schools... any ideas on the best way to convey this/what kind of arguments Chicago responds to more favorably?
I was in the same boat (liked chicago after ASW, but needed some final negotiating to seal the deal) and I had some success in increasing my offer. I think the main thing is sharing any and all offers that you have that are equal or above. Also, I found the honest approach of, "I really want to go here after enjoying ASW, but I can't justify the cost given these other offers at other good schools" worked fine. They did not match my highest offer or anything, but they came much closer.

I don't know other arguments that have been successful, but the school tends to be generous in negotiation so I wouldn't worry.

tappatappatappa

Bronze

Post by tappatappatappa » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:40 am

Post removed...
Last edited by tappatappatappa on Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

wilfred

New

Post by wilfred » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:16 pm

Was really quite impressed with ASW. Prior to arrival, I had all but written Chicago off. After the experience, I'm all but ready to send in the seat deposit! Now if they could just get back to me on scholarship negotiation, life would be good...

skimmilk

Bronze

Post by skimmilk » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:22 pm

So how exactly should we go about emailing Kevin Petty about scholarship negotiations? My understanding is that he sends you are form to fill out, so should I just email him requesting the form or should I draft a more substantial email stating the reasons I want to go to Chicago/ my financial concerns? Thanks!

3pianists

Bronze

Post by 3pianists » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:40 am

skimmilk wrote:So how exactly should we go about emailing Kevin Petty about scholarship negotiations? My understanding is that he sends you are form to fill out, so should I just email him requesting the form or should I draft a more substantial email stating the reasons I want to go to Chicago/ my financial concerns? Thanks!
I just emailed requesting the form...don't know if that's right, but it's one data point!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chicago-gunner123

New

Post by chicago-gunner123 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:00 am

skimmilk wrote:So how exactly should we go about emailing Kevin Petty about scholarship negotiations? My understanding is that he sends you are form to fill out, so should I just email him requesting the form or should I draft a more substantial email stating the reasons I want to go to Chicago/ my financial concerns? Thanks!
You should definitely just email Kevin Petty and ask for the form

SpikeSeagull

New

Post by SpikeSeagull » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:26 am

Have people gotten an answer back about negotiating aid after submitting the form? How long did that take? I submitted last Thursday (should have done earlier, but didn't hear from NYU about their offer until pretty recently) and am hoping they get back to me before NYU's deadline passes...

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:34 am

So, these things are very individual and vary by the year based on the applicant pool. All of this is general advice based only on my personal experiences (and some of it is guesswork!)

First, you want to be polite and respectful. This is kind of obvious, but it's worth saying. This includes being respectful of the fact that they are busy professionals, and keeping things neat, well-written, and relatively brief.

Second, you want to show that you are sincere. There are a number of ways to do this, but I would suggest talking about the specific reasons why you, personally, like UChicago. If it seems like you could send it to any school, I don't think it will seem as sincere (again, though, this is speculation). Since you went to ASW you can be very specific about what you liked, and why you feel that will contribute to your success in law school. It probably can't hurt to reference things that are good about your app.

Again, speculation, but an example of something that I would try to write would be:

"ASW made it clear that I would enjoy being at a small school, where professors are accessible. I attended a large university as an undergraduate, but I was privileged to spend most of my time there as part of a small department. I benefited enormously from the close relationships I had with my professors. I would be privileged to have a similar academic experience in law school, and UChicago would give me the opportunity to have that experience again."

I would clean up the writing a little bit (and please don't copy this verbatim!), but you get the drift.

Beyond that, though, a lot of it is luck -- I wish I had something more concrete to provide, because I know how much I love it here, and scholarships have made it possible.

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:35 am

(Also, I would put the meat of your request at the top--and as referenced above that would be your other offers and the fact that you want to go to UChicago but the money isn't there yet. Then I'd add something more personal, as per my example above.)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sophiethecat

New

Post by sophiethecat » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:54 pm

I just mailed in my check! I can't wait for the fall:D I currently live in Hyde Park but am planning on moving this summer to a bigger place (I'm currently in a one bedroom but want to save money). If any of you are interested in a roommate, let me know! Especially those of you that might want to move here June/July/August versus September.

wilfred

New

Post by wilfred » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:59 pm

Well, they told us at ASW that they'd try to respect deposit deadlines on the 18th and 19th... but... still no word...

Necho2

Bronze

Post by Necho2 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:13 pm

Submitted my commitment yesterday, hope to see all of you there this fall! Really, really strange withdrawing from the school that had been my dream since back when I was grinding through LSAT preptests one and a half years ago, but the Rubenstein really is too good to pass up, especially since my career goals will mean either a big firm for a while, or a government agency that will generally outstrip most LRAP programs. Psyched about Chicago and getting back to learning full-time!

wilfred

New

Post by wilfred » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:17 pm

Ah, there's the email... nine minutes after the deadline for UVA... alas, I guess I'm out $500 :lol:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lnlia707

New

Post by lnlia707 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:22 pm

Necho2 wrote:Submitted my commitment yesterday, hope to see all of you there this fall! Really, really strange withdrawing from the school that had been my dream since back when I was grinding through LSAT preptests one and a half years ago, but the Rubenstein really is too good to pass up, especially since my career goals will mean either a big firm for a while, or a government agency that will generally outstrip most LRAP programs. Psyched about Chicago and getting back to learning full-time!
same :D very excited!!

lebongenre

Bronze

Post by lebongenre » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:27 pm

Last edited by lebongenre on Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

freakingoutlalala

New

Post by freakingoutlalala » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:08 pm

SpikeSeagull wrote:Have people gotten an answer back about negotiating aid after submitting the form? How long did that take? I submitted last Thursday (should have done earlier, but didn't hear from NYU about their offer until pretty recently) and am hoping they get back to me before NYU's deadline passes...
submitted last week. got a happy response today :).

archipm

Bronze

Post by archipm » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:23 pm

I submitted my reconsideration request in late March and haven't gotten a response. I'm worried that not being able to attend ASW might have hurt my chances. I couldn't get the time off work to go, but Chicago is my top choice. Really hoping they will increase their scholarship, since otherwise it will be really hard to commit given way larger amounts elsewhere. Got a request for an update today, fingers crossed for good news soon!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:26 pm

So this is random but I have a bag and water bottle from one of the Day in the Life things. I don't really want them since I'm not going there, so if you couldn't make it to an ASW but still want some swag PM me. We can work out the deets.

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:51 am

I want some swag!

Seriously, congrats to everyone who committed, and we look forward to seeing you next year!

puppy

New

Post by puppy » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:27 pm

Deleted
Last edited by puppy on Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:36 pm

puppy wrote:Hi all! I'm still waiting on a decision (never interviewed)- can anyone lend insight about what I can expect at this point? I asked this in the applicants' thread but there's little activity over there. I'm thinking I'm just waiting for them to decide whether I'm a WL/deny, but figured I'd ask!
Chances are it's not looking good but who knows. Plenty of people get culled off the waitlist each year - make sure to let them know you remain interested and keep them updated. Best of luck!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

killingmesoftly

New

Post by killingmesoftly » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:57 am

Made my decision today. Very happy to be joining UChicago Law class of 2019!

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:09 am

See you in the fall!

liyorah

New

Post by liyorah » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:56 am

Hey all! Just sent in my commitment response :)
Looking for a roommate also for next fall (in regents)! Can't seem to get any bites on the FB group so hit me up in messages if you're in a similar situation and are moving in in September!

skimmilk

Bronze

Post by skimmilk » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:19 pm

Has anyone had success with negotiations so far? I know they started reviewing our requests on the 21st and promise to finish before the deposit deadline, but I am getting antsy!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”