Texas Law Class of 2019 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)

What are you doing this summer?

Judicial Internship
11%
Public Interest
11%
In-House
No votes
Big Law
47%
Medium Law
5%
Small Law
No votes
Government
11%
Split (tell us about it!)
5%
I have no idea someone please hire me please I just need to work
11%

Total votes: 19

BirdLawExpert

Gold

Re: Texas Law Class of 2019

Post by BirdLawExpert » Tue May 03, 2016 4:56 pm

Lucyfur wrote:
BirdLawExpert wrote:
Lucyfur wrote:
BirdLawExpert wrote:New poll. Please respond :D
:lol:
Thought you might like the UCLA dig :D

I'm still salty we won't end up at the same school, but congrats!!
I know :(

Have you made a decision yet?
No because I am a weak man who lacks conviction :(

I thought I had decided on somewhere but then I got a new offer somewhere else and now the clock reset so I don't have to decide until like June.

PartyMcFly

New

Post by PartyMcFly » Wed May 04, 2016 7:07 am

BirdLawExpert wrote:
Lucyfur wrote:
BirdLawExpert wrote:
Lucyfur wrote:

I thought I had decided on somewhere but then I got a new offer somewhere else and now the clock reset so I don't have to decide until like June.
What's it down to for you, birdlaw?

Lucyfur

Bronze

Post by Lucyfur » Wed May 04, 2016 1:34 pm

BirdLawExpert wrote:
Lucyfur wrote:
BirdLawExpert wrote:
Lucyfur wrote:

Nice to still have some more time, not so nice to still not know where you'll be in a few months haha.

Let me know what you decide! Make a grand facebook announcement :P

BirdLawExpert

Gold

Post by BirdLawExpert » Wed May 04, 2016 2:31 pm

PartyMcFly wrote: What's it down to for you, birdlaw?
Vandy, UT, and Georgetown. I got some help with deposits and I haven't submitted reconsideration at UT yet because I'm still waiting on Georgetown. I'm also waitlisted at a lot of places so that doesn't help with the indecisiveness haha.

BigTex

Bronze

Post by BigTex » Wed May 04, 2016 4:30 pm

It's so hard to be reasonable looking for apartments while going from working full-time for a few years and being able to afford "amenities" like in-unit laundry to essentially throwing a negative sign in front of your current salary in the form of loans (slight exaggeration but the point still holds) :?

Anyone have any advice for searching or complexes they'd recommend?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mornincounselor

Silver

Post by mornincounselor » Wed May 04, 2016 10:58 pm

BigTex wrote:It's so hard to be reasonable looking for apartments while going from working full-time for a few years and being able to afford "amenities" like in-unit laundry to essentially throwing a negative sign in front of your current salary in the form of loans (slight exaggeration but the point still holds) :?

Hey BigTex.

I know of a place extremely close to the law (even closer than the super close place I went with) which has only roughly 12 apartments, they used to be all doubles, but there is one set of singles also. I believe the single is booked, but two of the doubles have a current resident who is moving out and their roommates are both looking for roommates. One is a law student the other isn't. The place has a "serious student" vibe and at $1000/month including expenses/internet it is by far the cheapest close by place I have found. I do not remember the name of the complex, but the lady there will be calling if their ends up being a room, I can give you the heads up if it happens.

I believe there may be a 1br/1bath available at mint urban red river (.5 miles from the school) at $1150/month not including expenses etc. There are probably several rooms available at Sabina which I believe is closer to $1500/month plus expenses.

I have also heard good things about Echo Apartments, quite a bit further away (still only like 10 minutes sans traffic) in the $1300/month range.

BigTex

Bronze

Post by BigTex » Wed May 04, 2016 11:37 pm

mornincounselor wrote:
BigTex wrote:It's so hard to be reasonable looking for apartments while going from working full-time for a few years and being able to afford "amenities" like in-unit laundry to essentially throwing a negative sign in front of your current salary in the form of loans (slight exaggeration but the point still holds) :?

Hey BigTex.

I know of a place extremely close to the law (even closer than the super close place I went with) which has only roughly 12 apartments, they used to be all doubles, but there is one set of singles also. I believe the single is booked, but two of the doubles have a current resident who is moving out and their roommates are both looking for roommates. One is a law student the other isn't. The place has a "serious student" vibe and at $1000/month including expenses/internet it is by far the cheapest close by place I have found. I do not remember the name of the complex, but the lady there will be calling if their ends up being a room, I can give you the heads up if it happens.

I believe there may be a 1br/1bath available at mint urban red river (.5 miles from the school) at $1150/month not including expenses etc. There are probably several rooms available at Sabina which I believe is closer to $1500/month plus expenses.

I have also heard good things about Echo Apartments, quite a bit further away (still only like 10 minutes sans traffic) in the $1300/month range.
That heads up on that one place would be awesome! Sounds like a great deal. I looked into Mint Urban and the lady told me their move-in date is Aug 15th and a lot later than I was planning. Sabina's on the higher end of my price range but I'll have to look into it some more. I've seen a lot of people post on the Facebook groups saying they're living at Sabina. I don't mind living a little further if the price is right. I'll give Echo a look to see what they have going. I was looking in the Mueller area, though that's kind of far as well. Also have looked a little at the neighborhood off Manor just east of 35. We'll see what else comes up over the next few weeks or so. Thanks for the advice!

BirdLawExpert

Gold

Post by BirdLawExpert » Thu May 05, 2016 12:27 am

Your new tar is a work of glorious art.

BigTex

Bronze

Post by BigTex » Thu May 05, 2016 11:10 am

BirdLawExpert wrote:

Your new tar is a work of glorious art.
Thank you sir! Obama's retirement plan.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BirdLawExpert

Gold

Post by BirdLawExpert » Tue May 31, 2016 5:06 pm

Second deadline coming up fast. Is everyone here pretty much settled or is anyone still on the fence?

genericwit

Bronze

Post by genericwit » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:06 pm

I'm checking in. Despite my conviction to leave the UT system (that started sometime in March after they accepted me when I got super stir crazy and excited for California or DC) and that I deposited elsewhere, I can't actually bear to leave Texas. God dammit. I'm a freaking Democrat. WHY IS IT SO HARD TO LEAVE TEXAS?
Last edited by genericwit on Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

genericwit

Bronze

Post by genericwit » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:06 pm

Deleted double post!

BigTex

Bronze

Post by BigTex » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:30 pm

genericwit wrote:I'm checking in. Despite my conviction to leave the UT system (that started sometime in March after they accepted me when I got super stir crazy and excited for California or DC) and that I deposited elsewhere, I can't actually bear to leave Texas. God dammit. I'm a freaking Democrat. WHY IS IT SO HARD TO LEAVE TEXAS?

I'm so glad when I contacted admissions, Dean Rivera was willing to extend a repeat offer. I dunno... the less than 8 hours it took to get a response basically saying, "of course we'll still take you; welcome home" was incredibly warm and gracious.

(I'm also soooo glad I don't have to be more than a few hours away from my dad or my friends, because I'm that kind of a weak, Daddy's girl.)

Welcome (back?)! :D

I went through a lot of the same feelings when making my decision. Wanting to see somewhere new for a few years, pretty stir crazy, and also a drowned out Dem. Texas just kept pulling me back in every time I strayed.

11 weeks til orientation... The countdown is on.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

genericwit

Bronze

Post by genericwit » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:49 pm

BigTex wrote:
genericwit wrote:I'm checking in. Despite my conviction to leave the UT system (that started sometime in March after they accepted me when I got super stir crazy and excited for California or DC) and that I deposited elsewhere, I can't actually bear to leave Texas. God dammit. I'm a freaking Democrat. WHY IS IT SO HARD TO LEAVE TEXAS?

I'm so glad when I contacted admissions, Dean Rivera was willing to extend a repeat offer. I dunno... the less than 8 hours it took to get a response basically saying, "of course we'll still take you; welcome home" was incredibly warm and gracious.

(I'm also soooo glad I don't have to be more than a few hours away from my dad or my friends, because I'm that kind of a weak, Daddy's girl.)

I went through a lot of the same feelings when making my decision. Wanting to see somewhere new for a few years, pretty stir crazy, and also a drowned out Dem. Texas just kept pulling me back in every time I strayed.

Hopefully, we'll be a little less drowned out in law school than elsewhere. lol. But regardless of political affiliation, I'm glad to see folks with a sense of humor. The poll in this thread is one of the funniest things I've seen in these forums. Possibly the funniest being that A&M is an option. No one who considers going to A&M for law could get into UT. Their stats are soooooooo rock bottom. They're rockin' 150 medians, aren't they? lolololol *throws mad shade at Texas A&Msleyan*

BigTex

Bronze

Post by BigTex » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:31 pm

genericwit wrote:
BigTex wrote:

Hopefully, we'll be a little less drowned out in law school than elsewhere. lol. But regardless of political affiliation, I'm glad to see folks with a sense of humor. The poll in this thread is one of the funniest things I've seen in these forums. Possibly the funniest being that A&M is an option. No one who considers going to A&M for law could get into UT. Their stats are soooooooo rock bottom. They're rockin' 150 medians, aren't they? lolololol *throws mad shade at Texas A&Msleyan*

The ONLY thing they have going for them right now is their location. I love downtown Ft. Worth...but I also want to pass the bar one day so despite their email marketing campaign I had to pass on that.

Speaking of marketing campaigns from schools no one should really go to, Golden Gate University School of Law sent me a card with a video player in it. Most elaborate admissions mailing I saw all cycle.

HawkeyeVodka34

New

Post by HawkeyeVodka34 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:04 pm

Officially a Longhorn! I wish I could move down tomorrow because my motivation to continue doing my job is at an all-time low.

BigTex

Bronze

Post by BigTex » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

HawkeyeVodka34 wrote:Officially a Longhorn! I wish I could move down tomorrow because my motivation to continue doing my job is at an all-time low.
Congrats! I can't frickin wait to quit my job. Hoping the spaced out use of my vacation days will get me through the time I have left.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

genericwit

Bronze

Post by genericwit » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:42 pm

HawkeyeVodka34 wrote:Officially a Longhorn! I wish I could move down tomorrow because my motivation to continue doing my job is at an all-time low.
Holy shit. Me, too. I gave my hospital a biiiiiig long notice, so they'd have time to find and train another nurse, but I still have 3 weeks of that left, and I've been checked out since three weeks before that.

BirdLawExpert

Gold

Post by BirdLawExpert » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:59 pm

genericwit wrote: Hopefully, we'll be a little less drowned out in law school than elsewhere. lol. But regardless of political affiliation, I'm glad to see folks with a sense of humor. The poll in this thread is one of the funniest things I've seen in these forums. Possibly the funniest being that A&M is an option. No one who considers going to A&M for law could get into UT. Their stats are soooooooo rock bottom. They're rockin' 150 medians, aren't they? lolololol *throws mad shade at Texas A&Msleyan*
I had to add it, because all of my family and friends are Aggies and can't believe I'd go to UT! (When I made the poll I couldn't even begin to imagine anybody actually choosing that option, and mostly put it there to remind myself that nobody in their right mind would go there.) :D :D :D

BirdLawExpert

Gold

Post by BirdLawExpert » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:06 pm

Just found out UT upped my scholarship by about $25K so I'm probably going to commit sometime soon! :D

BigTex

Bronze

Post by BigTex » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:27 pm

BirdLawExpert wrote:Just found out UT upped my scholarship by about $25K so I'm probably going to commit sometime soon! :D
Huzzah!!! Welcome! Did you apply for reconsideration or was this out of the blue?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BirdLawExpert

Gold

Post by BirdLawExpert » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:33 pm

BigTex wrote:
BirdLawExpert wrote:Just found out UT upped my scholarship by about $25K so I'm probably going to commit sometime soon! :D
Huzzah!!! Welcome! Did you apply for reconsideration or was this out of the blue?
Applied for reconsideration a couple of weeks ago, so others waiting on that process should start hearing back soon.

mornincounselor

Silver

Post by mornincounselor » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:38 pm

CONGRATS!

PartyMcFly

New

Post by PartyMcFly » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:12 pm

:shock: WOW! Congrats, man! That's fantastic! :D

BirdLawExpert

Gold

Post by BirdLawExpert » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:44 am

Heading to Austin for the weekend to rabble-Rouse with some old friends, might check out some apartments while I'm there. I've got a list going, but does anyone have recommendations?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”