NYU Law Class of 2019

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)

ORIENTATION

im going ham on the free food
5
33%
ive been studying nonstop
1
7%
a l c o h o l
8
53%
orien-what?
1
7%
 
Total votes: 15

madoodle16

New
Posts: 84
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:37 am

Re: NYU Law Class of 2019

Postby madoodle16 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:12 am

Generally wrote:
madoodle16 wrote:
Applesauce11 wrote:
Generally wrote:Where is my facebook group? I want my facebook group!

And is anyone else going off campus housing and stressed the hell out about it? I feel like I am going to need $8,000 just to get in to a place and I have already started to annoy my parents and Billings about being guarantors. I am really excited about NYU and New York, but this housing search seems like it will be complete hell.


Yeah, I've already just decided to apply for on-campus housing just for the first year- it would be way to stressful to find a place when you don't really know the market. Also, from what I know about NYC, stuff moves really fast so you wouldn't really be able to look till August or at the earliest July. I'd rather suck it up and pay more so I know I have a place to move into this fall.


I was originally going to do off-campus housing as well but I think I'm going to apply for on campus housing instead. BUT NYU Housing has a housing registry so once you get your netID and email set up you can log into there and see postings for room shares and apartments which may make it slightly easier. I recommend taking a look at that as well.


I would love to do NYU housing, but we have a pet :/ and it also seems more expensive for a family apartment then what I could get in a good Brooklyn neighborhood. They also seem to dormy and bla. So actually I really don't want to do NYU housing, but I really want the convenience of NYU housing.


Same, I feel like I'm moving into a dorm with a very small kitchen but I'm so lazy so...

Also facebook group coming shortly!

madoodle16

New
Posts: 84
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:37 am

Re: NYU Law Class of 2019

Postby madoodle16 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:19 am


User avatar
dizzystpizzy

Bronze
Posts: 143
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:38 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2019

Postby dizzystpizzy » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:22 am

madoodle16 wrote:https://www.facebook.com/groups/1056857397725188/

Link to the facebook group!


Thanks for creating! Now comes matching the TLSer with the IRLer.

madoodle16

New
Posts: 84
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:37 am

Re: NYU Law Class of 2019

Postby madoodle16 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:30 am

dizzystpizzy wrote:
madoodle16 wrote:https://www.facebook.com/groups/1056857397725188/

Link to the facebook group!


Thanks for creating! Now comes matching the TLSer with the IRLer.


Lol well mine kind of is a give away but everyone else, this will be fun :D

User avatar
beckett

New
Posts: 99
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:28 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2019

Postby beckett » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:49 pm

Generally wrote:Where is my facebook group? I want my facebook group!

And is anyone else going off campus housing and stressed the hell out about it? I feel like I am going to need $8,000 just to get in to a place and I have already started to annoy my parents and Billings about being guarantors. I am really excited about NYU and New York, but this housing search seems like it will be complete hell.


Not at all excited for finding a place in the NYC housing market. I'm really hoping I can find a place and stay there all three years though (I loathe moving). Love the convenience of NYU student housing, but it will be really nice to have a full size oven and stove! The ones in the dorms felt like easy bake ovens.

zvin

New
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:40 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2019

Postby zvin » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:20 pm

I'm planning on doing campus housing. Seems reasonable to pay extra for the amenities, proximity, and for not having to deal with the housing market.

ih8makingscreennames

Bronze
Posts: 173
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:34 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2019

Postby ih8makingscreennames » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:27 pm

zvin wrote:I'm planning on doing campus housing. Seems reasonable to pay extra for the amenities, proximity, and for not having to deal with the housing market.


+1 unless something completely amazing literally jumps out at me. I figure I will jump into that next year maybe.

User avatar
berek

New
Posts: 89
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:10 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2019

Postby berek » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:18 pm

Just deposited! See y'all in the fall!

cdubz

New
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:41 am

Re: NYU Law Class of 2019

Postby cdubz » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:01 pm

Just sent in my deposit! Hi, everybody! :mrgreen:

NYAssoc

New
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:55 am

Re: NYU Law Class of 2019

Postby NYAssoc » Sun May 01, 2016 7:31 pm

If anybody is looking for an apartment at this point, I have one I am trying to sublease. PM for details.

gopurp333

New
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:20 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2019

Postby gopurp333 » Wed May 04, 2016 9:35 am

Can anyone confirm a deposit deadline of May 1? The website says first Friday of May, but my understanding is that it was May 1. Many thanks!

Lawcat11

Bronze
Posts: 398
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:38 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2019

Postby Lawcat11 » Wed May 04, 2016 9:50 am

gopurp333 wrote:Can anyone confirm a deposit deadline of May 1? The website says first Friday of May, but my understanding is that it was May 1. Many thanks!


My offer says Monday, May 2nd.

gopurp333

New
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:20 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2019

Postby gopurp333 » Wed May 04, 2016 9:58 am

Applesauce11 wrote:
gopurp333 wrote:Can anyone confirm a deposit deadline of May 1? The website says first Friday of May, but my understanding is that it was May 1. Many thanks!


My offer says Monday, May 2nd.


Thanks. Can anyone else corroborate? many of us WLers are anxiously waiting. Thanks!

Lawcat11

Bronze
Posts: 398
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:38 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2019

Postby Lawcat11 » Mon May 09, 2016 5:08 pm

Hey all,

Does anyone know where we are supposed to send our final transcript? It says no electronic transcripts- do we just have them mailed to the law school in general? I feel like I'm missing something obvious here.

User avatar
Generally

Gold
Posts: 2671
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:30 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2019

Postby Generally » Tue May 10, 2016 1:11 am

Applesauce11 wrote:Hey all,

Does anyone know where we are supposed to send our final transcript? It says no electronic transcripts- do we just have them mailed to the law school in general? I feel like I'm missing something obvious here.


I would assume mailed from your undergrad.

Lawcat11

Bronze
Posts: 398
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:38 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2019

Postby Lawcat11 » Tue May 10, 2016 1:58 am

Generally wrote:
Applesauce11 wrote:Hey all,

Does anyone know where we are supposed to send our final transcript? It says no electronic transcripts- do we just have them mailed to the law school in general? I feel like I'm missing something obvious here.


I would assume mailed from your undergrad.


I was confused about where to send them to but then realized that it's probably admissions, so I had it sent there.

cavalier1138

Platinum
Posts: 5059
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2019

Postby cavalier1138 » Tue May 10, 2016 2:25 am

Applesauce11 wrote:
Generally wrote:
Applesauce11 wrote:Hey all,

Does anyone know where we are supposed to send our final transcript? It says no electronic transcripts- do we just have them mailed to the law school in general? I feel like I'm missing something obvious here.


I would assume mailed from your undergrad.


I was confused about where to send them to but then realized that it's probably admissions, so I had it sent there.


I would assume that's the correct place. And even if it technically isn't, Admissions will definitely forward it to the right department.

n.swnsn

New
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:28 am

Re: NYU Law Class of 2019

Postby n.swnsn » Sat May 14, 2016 1:25 pm

For everyone looking at off campus housing, you'll probably have to use a broker at some point and I'd like to recommend the one my girlfriend and I ended up using. Raphael is a really nice guy who worked really hard to find us the right apartment. He pulled 12 different places across upper manhattan for just the first day of our search and then based on what we liked and didn't like about those he went back to refine his search and negotiate with the lessor's broker on the one we did like. We even stopped for a midday snack and a beer.

In our experience with real estate in New York and elsewhere brokers can be pretty hit or miss, and it can be frustrating to pay a broker's fee when you feel like they didn't do all that much to earn it. We really felt like Raphael was working hard to find us the best place and the best deal.

Here is his info if you think you'll end up going this route.

https://www.citihabitats.com/manhattan- ... 5172/about

16to19

Bronze
Posts: 158
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:02 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2019

Postby 16to19 » Tue May 17, 2016 11:54 am

If you have 1 day to look at places or don't care about money, use a broker (for all i know this one is great).

If neither of the above applies to you, DO NOT use a broker trying to find an apartment in NYC. Totally unneeded. Save the money for a security deposit.

This is what the internet is for. Padmapper will be your bible. You will go to 20 places that suck, it will be really stressful for a week or two, and then you'll find something that works. The NYC rental market moves super late, particularly for September and, to a lesser extent, August.

Fretting over apartments in NYC is a right of passage. Welcome to the big apple!

Source: I live in NYC, and have looked for cheap apartments here multiple times.

To reiterate, unless you're in a huge hurry or looking to get that COA over the 300k mark, please god don't use a broker.



n.swnsn wrote:For everyone looking at off campus housing, you'll probably have to use a broker at some point and I'd like to recommend the one my girlfriend and I ended up using. Raphael is a really nice guy who worked really hard to find us the right apartment. He pulled 12 different places across upper manhattan for just the first day of our search and then based on what we liked and didn't like about those he went back to refine his search and negotiate with the lessor's broker on the one we did like. We even stopped for a midday snack and a beer.

In our experience with real estate in New York and elsewhere brokers can be pretty hit or miss, and it can be frustrating to pay a broker's fee when you feel like they didn't do all that much to earn it. We really felt like Raphael was working hard to find us the best place and the best deal.

Here is his info if you think you'll end up going this route.

https://www.citihabitats.com/manhattan- ... 5172/about

User avatar
berek

New
Posts: 89
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:10 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2019

Postby berek » Tue May 17, 2016 1:03 pm

^^Think I plugged it before, but (in addition to Padmapper), Streeteasy also tends to have a lot of no-fee listings (click the "no-fee" box to avoid broker listings). Got my current place off of it and couldn't be happier.

cavalier1138

Platinum
Posts: 5059
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2019

Postby cavalier1138 » Tue May 17, 2016 1:15 pm

16to19 wrote:If you have 1 day to look at places or don't care about money, use a broker (for all i know this one is great).

If neither of the above applies to you, DO NOT use a broker trying to find an apartment in NYC. Totally unneeded. Save the money for a security deposit.

This is what the internet is for. Padmapper will be your bible. You will go to 20 places that suck, it will be really stressful for a week or two, and then you'll find something that works. The NYC rental market moves super late, particularly for September and, to a lesser extent, August.

Fretting over apartments in NYC is a right of passage. Welcome to the big apple!

Source: I live in NYC, and have looked for cheap apartments here multiple times.

To reiterate, unless you're in a huge hurry or looking to get that COA over the 300k mark, please god don't use a broker.



n.swnsn wrote:For everyone looking at off campus housing, you'll probably have to use a broker at some point and I'd like to recommend the one my girlfriend and I ended up using. Raphael is a really nice guy who worked really hard to find us the right apartment. He pulled 12 different places across upper manhattan for just the first day of our search and then based on what we liked and didn't like about those he went back to refine his search and negotiate with the lessor's broker on the one we did like. We even stopped for a midday snack and a beer.

In our experience with real estate in New York and elsewhere brokers can be pretty hit or miss, and it can be frustrating to pay a broker's fee when you feel like they didn't do all that much to earn it. We really felt like Raphael was working hard to find us the best place and the best deal.

Here is his info if you think you'll end up going this route.

https://www.citihabitats.com/manhattan- ... 5172/about


Any other advice about looking for places?

My fiancee and I are going to fly out in late July to find a place, then planning to fly back and put our stuff in a truck to move in at the start of August (or end of July if they'll let us).

I know the market changes rapidly, so my thought was to come in prepared with a list of what we'd found right at that time and just start pounding pavement to visit places. Does that sound doable?

16to19

Bronze
Posts: 158
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:02 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2019

Postby 16to19 » Wed May 18, 2016 9:57 am

Happy to discuss via PM, but I would make a list between yourself of acceptable vitals (what you're willing to pay, where you're willing to live, amenities, roommate, etc.,) and then blanket everything within that range and once you find something that feels right, lock it up (bring checkbook and willingness to sign lease).

If you have a friend/relative who is already an attorney or has experience with rentals, I'd have them lined up to review potential leases and save you from anything that may be truly bullshit without wasting valuable time.

rachb00k

New
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:06 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2019

Postby rachb00k » Wed May 18, 2016 12:02 pm

I've looked for housing in New York a couple of different times, and you have to know that you're getting into something stressful and expensive ahead of time. Know your budget before you get started and stick to that, because utility costs vary a lot depending on your building, landlord, etc. If you end up talking to a broker (I wouldn't suggest it), don't let them pressure you, and DO NOT sign a lease for an apartment that isn't move-in ready (e.g. currently being renovated). I've heard a lot of horror stories about this from friends. You don't want to end up in small claims court because your electricity never got turned on and you had to move out.

I would start by walking around neighborhoods you're interested in and then treat looking on Craig's List and PadMapper (I favor the latter) like it's a full time job. Check multiple times a day, follow up if you want to see a listing, and do that quickly. Be ready to sign a lease if you find a place you really like, real estate moves incredibly quickly here, and you have to be kind of aggressive to get something good.

coocooforcoacoapuffs

New
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:05 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2019

Postby coocooforcoacoapuffs » Fri May 27, 2016 7:17 pm

Don't know if this is the right place to post but figured it was worth a shot. was just admitted to NYU off of the waitlist and am reviewing my finaid package. the award is

Dean's award scholly - 30k
est federal stafford loans - 20.5k
TOTAL AWARDS: 50.5K
Difference: 35.464K
Assumed annual student contribution: 5K

Two questions:

1) Does this mean that my expected GradPLUS loan will be the "difference" - "Assumed annual student contribution"?

2) Am I expected to pay 5K cash every year? I would have to go find a private lender for this so this is especially troubling for me.

Any advice is appreciated!

EDIT: According to the NYU Law website: " If you meet federal requirements, you may borrow Graduate PLUS loan funds up to the cost of attendance (less any other financial aid)." --- if this is true, I am unsure why they expect 5K in an annual contribution instead of adding that to my GradPLUS loans.

cavalier1138

Platinum
Posts: 5059
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: NYU Law Class of 2019

Postby cavalier1138 » Fri May 27, 2016 8:11 pm

coocooforcoacoapuffs wrote:Don't know if this is the right place to post but figured it was worth a shot. was just admitted to NYU off of the waitlist and am reviewing my finaid package. the award is

Dean's award scholly - 30k
est federal stafford loans - 20.5k
TOTAL AWARDS: 50.5K
Difference: 35.464K
Assumed annual student contribution: 5K

Two questions:

1) Does this mean that my expected GradPLUS loan will be the "difference" - "Assumed annual student contribution"?

2) Am I expected to pay 5K cash every year? I would have to go find a private lender for this so this is especially troubling for me.

Any advice is appreciated!

EDIT: According to the NYU Law website: " If you meet federal requirements, you may borrow Graduate PLUS loan funds up to the cost of attendance (less any other financial aid)." --- if this is true, I am unsure why they expect 5K in an annual contribution instead of adding that to my GradPLUS loans.


The student contribution is a bit of a weird thing to understand. It's more or less a symbolic figure.

Basically, it doesn't matter if you don't do LRAP. If you do use LRAP, then the assumed student contribution is not eligible for coverage. If you think you'll be using LRAP, feel free to PM me.

But short answer: you're fine. You will be able to take GradPLUS loans out to cover any COA beyond your scholarship/Staffords.



Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests