NYU Law Class of 2019 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)

ORIENTATION

im going ham on the free food
33%
ive been studying nonstop
7%
a l c o h o l
53%
orien-what?
7%

Total votes: 15

JDMedic

New

Re: NYU Law Class of 2019

Post by JDMedic » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:37 pm

Califbess wrote:
Applesauce11 wrote:
ih8makingscreennames wrote:Lawyering just appeared for me.
Me too!

I'm in section 1- anyone else?
Sections 1 over here, Section 2 for Lawyering.

Same here! Section 1; 2 for lawyering. Looking forward to meeting y'all.

Lawcat11

Bronze

Post by Lawcat11 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:47 pm

JDMedic wrote:
Califbess wrote:
Applesauce11 wrote:
Me too!

Also 2 for lawyering!

username8112

New

Post by username8112 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:56 pm

Anyone in section 3 and 8 for lawyering?

Loney M. Setnick

Bronze

Post by Loney M. Setnick » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:01 am

username8112 wrote:Anyone in section 3 and 8 for lawyering?
Me! :D

Loney M. Setnick

Bronze

Post by Loney M. Setnick » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:09 am

miku015 wrote:Also section 5 for lawyering! When does everybody plan on flying in? I wonder if it's worth flying in early to explore the city and figure out where the grocery markets/cheap food joints are.
If you're not familiar with NYC, I think it might be a good idea to fly in a few days early to find your way around and get settled in. There are quite a few cheap places to eat around campus and in the Lower East Side. Not sure about what are the cheapest grocery stores. I'm probably going to shop at Trader Joe's since it's very near my apartment.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

beef26

New

Post by beef26 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:14 pm

miku015 wrote:Also section 5 for lawyering! When does everybody plan on flying in? I wonder if it's worth flying in early to explore the city and figure out where the grocery markets/cheap food joints are.
if you're living on campus, Morton Williams is probably your best bet in terms of price/distance, followed by gristedes (right across the street from mercer/hayden hall). those of you looking for something more premium, two whole foods within 15-min walk distance (14th street or Houston st)

miku015

New

Post by miku015 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:02 pm

beef26 wrote:
if you're living on campus, Morton Williams is probably your best bet in terms of price/distance, followed by gristedes (right across the street from mercer/hayden hall). those of you looking for something more premium, two whole foods within 15-min walk distance (14th street or Houston st)
Awesome, thanks for the tip! Will definitely check it out!

Tempo

New

Post by Tempo » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:22 am

I'm flying in the 19th! Giving myself like 5 days to explore around before orientation.

miku015

New

Post by miku015 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:38 pm

Everyone get that e-mail about the reading groups? Is this a new thing? I've heard about it being done @ Michigan when I visited, but didn't know that NYU did it too. This seems like a lot of fun, but it's funny how the tone differs so drastically between professors in the descriptions. Wonder if there's going to be gunners shooting for specific profs :lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lawcat11

Bronze

Post by Lawcat11 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:42 pm

miku015 wrote:Everyone get that e-mail about the reading groups? Is this a new thing? I've heard about it being done @ Michigan when I visited, but didn't know that NYU did it too. This seems like a lot of fun, but it's funny how the tone differs so drastically between professors in the descriptions. Wonder if there's going to be gunners shooting for specific profs :lol:
I think it started last year. Hopefully they won't be full of gunners, that would suck lol.

Also, textbooks were just posted on the NYU bookstore website though it doesn't look like all professors have posted yet.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:20 am

miku015 wrote:Everyone get that e-mail about the reading groups? Is this a new thing? I've heard about it being done @ Michigan when I visited, but didn't know that NYU did it too. This seems like a lot of fun, but it's funny how the tone differs so drastically between professors in the descriptions. Wonder if there's going to be gunners shooting for specific profs :lol:
I'm sure some people will play that angle, but it seems pretty useless. If our 1L classes are the main curved component of our grade, the reading group can't help with that, since you aren't allowed to take one with a professor you have in 1L.

davey jones

Platinum

Post by davey jones » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:29 am

Applesauce11 wrote:
JDMedic wrote:
Califbess wrote:
Applesauce11 wrote:
Me too!

Also 2 for lawyering!
also section 1, 2 for lawyering

lmao

beef26

New

Post by beef26 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:36 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
I'm sure some people will play that angle, but it seems pretty useless. If our 1L classes are the main curved component of our grade, the reading group can't help with that, since you aren't allowed to take one with a professor you have in 1L.
this is correct. the reading groups are entirely optional--meets twice every semester, so four times in the 1L year. Although I did one and thoroughly enjoyed it, I would recommend it only for people who are seriously interested in the subject matter of the reading group. Otherwise, your participation/non-participation will have no bearing on your grades or your employment prospects.

ETA: the reading groups might be one way that you get to meet people from other sections, but i'm inclined to believe there are more efficient ways to achieve that same goal...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mjsjr

New

Post by mjsjr » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:22 pm

Does anyone have any experience buying their textbooks? I noticed two really expensive books (one for torts and another for civ pro, I think) but it doesn't look like I can buy them through the NYU bookstore website-- it says they're "n/a" under the order section. Do I need to order them through Amazon.com or something?

BuddyHoller

Bronze

Post by BuddyHoller » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:49 pm

mjsjr wrote:Does anyone have any experience buying their textbooks? I noticed two really expensive books (one for torts and another for civ pro, I think) but it doesn't look like I can buy them through the NYU bookstore website-- it says they're "n/a" under the order section. Do I need to order them through Amazon.com or something?
The bookstore website is pretty useless. Just go directly there with your id during orientation and you can print a list of your required books. They will have everything you need if you want to buy new. Conversely, the school listserve (coases) will be full of people trying to offload their old case books and it can save you a lot of money if you don't mind reading with other people's notes/highlighting.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:50 pm

mjsjr wrote:Does anyone have any experience buying their textbooks? I noticed two really expensive books (one for torts and another for civ pro, I think) but it doesn't look like I can buy them through the NYU bookstore website-- it says they're "n/a" under the order section. Do I need to order them through Amazon.com or something?
It looks like those books just aren't in the store yet, but it shows a number of them on order. So I think you just have to wait for them to get in before you can order new ones direct from the store.

mjsjr

New

Post by mjsjr » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:03 pm

BuddyHoller wrote:
The bookstore website is pretty useless. Just go directly there with your id during orientation and you can print a list of your required books. They will have everything you need if you want to buy new. Conversely, the school listserve (coases) will be full of people trying to offload their old case books and it can save you a lot of money if you don't mind reading with other people's notes/highlighting.
Good to know. Thank you!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ih8makingscreennames

Bronze

Post by ih8makingscreennames » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:08 pm

Heads up to anyone who has yet to mail in the immunization form. The zip code on my envelope was wrong so you may wish to check.

kumquat3

New

Post by kumquat3 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:34 pm

ih8makingscreennames wrote:Heads up to anyone who has yet to mail in the immunization form. The zip code on my envelope was wrong so you may wish to check.
DId anyone receive confirmation on this? I sent mine in, but don't know if it's been received/accepted.

miku015

New

Post by miku015 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:17 pm

I faxed mine in and got confirmation same day via e-mail, so they definitely contact you if they received it. Probably a good idea to call them and check (depending on when you mailed it).

Lawcat11

Bronze

Post by Lawcat11 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:23 pm

kumquat3 wrote:
ih8makingscreennames wrote:Heads up to anyone who has yet to mail in the immunization form. The zip code on my envelope was wrong so you may wish to check.
DId anyone receive confirmation on this? I sent mine in, but don't know if it's been received/accepted.
I mailed mine in on 7/7 and got confirmation on 7/26.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kumquat3

New

Post by kumquat3 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:43 am

Applesauce11 wrote:
kumquat3 wrote:
Mm, disappointing. It's actually been almost a month. Thanks for the helpful replies!

cdubz

New

Post by cdubz » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:26 am

My off-campus housing plans just fell through and I sent in an application for on-campus housing yesterday. I signaled my willingness to be in all but the most expensive options. Any insight on when I might hear back from them?

miku015

New

Post by miku015 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:02 pm

cdubz wrote:My off-campus housing plans just fell through and I sent in an application for on-campus housing yesterday. I signaled my willingness to be in all but the most expensive options. Any insight on when I might hear back from them?
I submitted an on-campus housing application pretty late (like 2-3 weeks ago), took about a week for them to get back to me.

madoodle16

New

Post by madoodle16 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:37 am

kumquat3 wrote:
Applesauce11 wrote:
kumquat3 wrote:
Mm, disappointing. It's actually been almost a month. Thanks for the helpful replies!
I called them yesterday to follow up with mine and they said that they're just reallly backed up because it goes through general mail first so it will take a while before everyone is updated in the system and to not send it again until they contact us saying they didn't receive it

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”