UC Berkeley (Boalt Hall) Law Class of 2019

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)

Will you be attending Admitted Students Weekend?

Yes
43
61%
No
11
15%
Maybe
1
1%
No, but I'll be doing an individual visit
9
13%
No, already visited
7
10%
 
Total votes: 71

User avatar
pterodactyls
Posts: 519
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:27 pm

Re: UC Berkeley (Boalt Hall) Law Class of 2019

Postby pterodactyls » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:30 am

dietcoke1 wrote:
Will be riding out one wait list but otherwise retaking LSAT and trying again. I just couldn't stomach Berkely at sticker. But otherwise, it seems like an amazing place.


Makes sense. Best of luck to you!

User avatar
pterodactyls
Posts: 519
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:27 pm

Re: UC Berkeley (Boalt Hall) Law Class of 2019

Postby pterodactyls » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:32 am

sudijajd wrote:Does anyone know much about the Berkeley Pre-Orientation we just got in the e-mail? Curious to see what people think - is it worthwhile?


I found this in the "Boalt Students Taking Questions" thread:

Redamon1 wrote:
arose928 wrote:Any Boalt students around who did the Berkeley pre-orientation "law school boot camp" the week before classes started? Did you find it to be useful? Would you recommend it? I just got the email and not sure whether I should apply. I've been out of school for over 5 years so I guess I could use a refresher, but I also don't feel a strong need to go to more class than necessary..


I did it and found it useful. It's particularly useful if you've been out of school for a while or are the first in your family to attend law school (or college). It helped demystify things and get oriented. I really didn't know much (anything?) about the law or the legal profession before entering law school, so pretty basic concepts professors may take for granted 1L year were things I had to learn, and the pre-orientation helped cover some of this ground. Some 2Ls and 3Ls also joined to share study tips, which was good.

That said, if you can't make it or don't get in (not sure how selective this is nowadays—I think they have a limited budget/space), you will be fine without it. It just helps smooth the transition.


If I had the free time I would consider it. But being that I will be moving to Berkeley from out of state, I don't think I can be there that early.

sudijajd
Posts: 74
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 12:24 pm

Re: UC Berkeley (Boalt Hall) Law Class of 2019

Postby sudijajd » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:40 am

pterodactyls wrote:
sudijajd wrote:Does anyone know much about the Berkeley Pre-Orientation we just got in the e-mail? Curious to see what people think - is it worthwhile?


I found this in the "Boalt Students Taking Questions" thread:

Redamon1 wrote:
arose928 wrote:Any Boalt students around who did the Berkeley pre-orientation "law school boot camp" the week before classes started? Did you find it to be useful? Would you recommend it? I just got the email and not sure whether I should apply. I've been out of school for over 5 years so I guess I could use a refresher, but I also don't feel a strong need to go to more class than necessary..


I did it and found it useful. It's particularly useful if you've been out of school for a while or are the first in your family to attend law school (or college). It helped demystify things and get oriented. I really didn't know much (anything?) about the law or the legal profession before entering law school, so pretty basic concepts professors may take for granted 1L year were things I had to learn, and the pre-orientation helped cover some of this ground. Some 2Ls and 3Ls also joined to share study tips, which was good.

That said, if you can't make it or don't get in (not sure how selective this is nowadays—I think they have a limited budget/space), you will be fine without it. It just helps smooth the transition.


If I had the free time I would consider it. But being that I will be moving to Berkeley from out of state, I don't think I can be there that early.


Thank you! That was helpful. A friend of mine who recently graduated from HLS says he wishes he had done something like the boot camp since it provides a nice chance to meet some people in a less frenzied environment and helps smooth the transition into 1L, although most likely it will not provide any substance. I'll be moving from out of state as well so I will have to wait and see regarding my timeline.

User avatar
Califbess
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:17 am

Re: UC Berkeley (Boalt Hall) Law Class of 2019

Postby Califbess » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:52 am

Someone please tell me if there is a better thread to post this in -- I don't mean to spam -- but I'm living in Berkeley and will be moving out soon. My room, a large living room in a one-bedroom, will be available in time for Boalt orientation. It's going for $1095. Anyone is welcome to inquire. PM me if you're interested!

EDIT: The room is no longer available.
Last edited by Califbess on Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:02 am, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
pterodactyls
Posts: 519
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:27 pm

Re: UC Berkeley (Boalt Hall) Law Class of 2019

Postby pterodactyls » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:56 pm

Califbess wrote:Someone please tell me if there is a better thread to post this in -- I don't mean to spam -- but I'm living in Berkeley and will be moving out soon. My room, a large living room in a one-bedroom, will be available in time for Boalt orientation. If you're a woman and need an affordable place to live (we're working on keeping the rent at $682), PM me!


Definitely post it in the Facebook group too:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1694890674132760/

User avatar
Califbess
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:17 am

Re: UC Berkeley (Boalt Hall) Law Class of 2019

Postby Califbess » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:16 pm

pterodactyls wrote:
Califbess wrote:Someone please tell me if there is a better thread to post this in -- I don't mean to spam -- but I'm living in Berkeley and will be moving out soon. My room, a large living room in a one-bedroom, will be available in time for Boalt orientation. If you're a woman and need an affordable place to live (we're working on keeping the rent at $682), PM me!


Definitely post it in the Facebook group too:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1694890674132760/


Thanks for the link, but I actually decided to go to law school elsewhere, hence why my apartment's going to be available.

User avatar
pterodactyls
Posts: 519
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:27 pm

Re: UC Berkeley (Boalt Hall) Law Class of 2019

Postby pterodactyls » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:26 pm

Califbess wrote:
Thanks for the link, but I actually decided to go to law school elsewhere, hence why my apartment's going to be available.


I think you could still post it in that group. They're not going to know / kick you out.

surfco
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:35 pm

Re: UC Berkeley (Boalt Hall) Law Class of 2019

Postby surfco » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:48 pm

Hey Boalt students,

Kind of trolling your wall here a little bit. Dropping a quick housing post for you incoming 1Ls. I'm a law student at another bay area law school. I have rooms available at my place in the East Bay so if anyone needs a place to stay for the year, hit me up and we can chat and see if you'd be a good fit. You'll definitely want a quiet space wherever you choose.

All the best to the incoming 1Ls!

b1e9r8k7
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:37 pm

Re: UC Berkeley (Boalt Hall) Law Class of 2019

Postby b1e9r8k7 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:49 pm

Does anyone know why are professional fees higher for CA residents?

http://registrar.berkeley.edu/tuition-f ... e-schedule


edit: the answer is "just cuz" I guess. http://www.sfchronicle.com/education/ar ... 829326.php

User avatar
Elexica
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:54 pm

Re: UC Berkeley (Boalt Hall) Law Class of 2019

Postby Elexica » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:38 pm

Hi! Checking in! Just registered! Anyone else in Module 1?


Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests