UC Berkeley (Boalt Hall) Law Class of 2019

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)

Will you be attending Admitted Students Weekend?

Yes
43
61%
No
11
15%
Maybe
1
1%
No, but I'll be doing an individual visit
9
13%
No, already visited
7
10%
 
Total votes: 71

madcow
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 12:13 pm

Re: UC Berkeley (Boalt Hall) Law Class of 2019

Postby madcow » Thu May 05, 2016 12:16 pm

Is anyone looking to live in the International House? Just wondering what the general vibe/reputation of that place is

User avatar
GrumpyYellowOgre
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:03 pm

Re: UC Berkeley (Boalt Hall) Law Class of 2019

Postby GrumpyYellowOgre » Thu May 05, 2016 3:05 pm

eck456 wrote:
pterodactyls wrote:
GrumpyYellowOgre wrote:Also, feel free to holler if you have questions about the area and apartment hunting. I've been visiting lately to update my knowledge from my undergrad years.


Any info would be really helpful! I've been asking in the Boalt 1L thread in the FAQ section as well.

Do you have any thoughts on general timelines? If I'm trying to secure an apartment for August 1, should I plan to start looking mid-June or wait till mid-July?


The housing market is super competitive out here - SF is the absolute worst but Berkeley/ Oakland isn't much better these days. If you're picky and/ or on a strict budget I would suggest June


Mid-July seems a little late in my opinion but if you aren't picky it could work. It also depends on what area you want to live in. Areas closer to campus will have supply & demand follow the academic calendar more closely.

As usual, you'll get better results as a better applicant. Know your credit situation and have your financials worked out so you can fill out apps quickly. Same with references and previous landlords. For non-property management companies, you'll also have more success if come across as "mature law student" instead of "drunk undergrad". I haven't found it to be SF levels of competitive where you have to turn applications in on the spot to even have a chance. Turnaround times were generally pretty quick though.

User avatar
pterodactyls
Posts: 519
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:27 pm

Re: UC Berkeley (Boalt Hall) Law Class of 2019

Postby pterodactyls » Thu May 05, 2016 3:25 pm

GrumpyYellowOgre wrote:Mid-July seems a little late in my opinion but if you aren't picky it could work. It also depends on what area you want to live in. Areas closer to campus will have supply & demand follow the academic calendar more closely.

As usual, you'll get better results as a better applicant. Know your credit situation and have your financials worked out so you can fill out apps quickly. Same with references and previous landlords. For non-property management companies, you'll also have more success if come across as "mature law student" instead of "drunk undergrad". I haven't found it to be SF levels of competitive where you have to turn applications in on the spot to even have a chance. Turnaround times were generally pretty quick though.


Thanks for the info!

What would be ideal timing to look for school year? End of June?

CalRental suggests that the average price of a one bedroom is $2,800. So I assume if you're willing to go a little farther from campus, you could find something a little below that?

User avatar
GrumpyYellowOgre
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:03 pm

Re: UC Berkeley (Boalt Hall) Law Class of 2019

Postby GrumpyYellowOgre » Thu May 05, 2016 3:38 pm

pterodactyls wrote:
GrumpyYellowOgre wrote:Mid-July seems a little late in my opinion but if you aren't picky it could work. It also depends on what area you want to live in. Areas closer to campus will have supply & demand follow the academic calendar more closely.

As usual, you'll get better results as a better applicant. Know your credit situation and have your financials worked out so you can fill out apps quickly. Same with references and previous landlords. For non-property management companies, you'll also have more success if come across as "mature law student" instead of "drunk undergrad". I haven't found it to be SF levels of competitive where you have to turn applications in on the spot to even have a chance. Turnaround times were generally pretty quick though.


Thanks for the info!

What would be ideal timing to look for school year? End of June?

CalRental suggests that the average price of a one bedroom is $2,800. So I assume if you're willing to go a little farther from campus, you could find something a little below that?


At some point you just have to make a call. End of June seems reasonable but it depends on how risk averse you are.

Average is $2800??? That is definitely not right. You could get a 2BR for that price. I'd put 1BRs around campus closer to around $1900-2000. There are definitely places cheaper than that too. Hop on craigslist to get a feel for what's out there but make sure to ignore all the summer sublet posts.

sudijajd
Posts: 74
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 12:24 pm

Re: UC Berkeley (Boalt Hall) Law Class of 2019

Postby sudijajd » Thu May 05, 2016 3:43 pm

Would anyone recommend University Village for housing?? Seems to be below market price and in a decent area. Or something closer to campus??

User avatar
pterodactyls
Posts: 519
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:27 pm

Re: UC Berkeley (Boalt Hall) Law Class of 2019

Postby pterodactyls » Thu May 05, 2016 4:02 pm

GrumpyYellowOgre wrote:
At some point you just have to make a call. End of June seems reasonable but it depends on how risk averse you are.

Average is $2800??? That is definitely not right. You could get a 2BR for that price. I'd put 1BRs around campus closer to around $1900-2000. There are definitely places cheaper than that too. Hop on craigslist to get a feel for what's out there but make sure to ignore all the summer sublet posts.


I thought $2800 seemed very high, especially when I started looking at craigslist. I guess maybe if they're counting all of the overpriced complexes and non-students?

Seems like it'll be stressful but definitely doable. Thanks again for the info!

User avatar
PlanetExpress
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:04 pm

Re: UC Berkeley (Boalt Hall) Law Class of 2019

Postby PlanetExpress » Sat May 07, 2016 9:51 pm

madcow wrote:Is anyone looking to live in the International House? Just wondering what the general vibe/reputation of that place is


Also wondering this. On the one hand, it does seem more catered towards undergrads (or it at least resembles many undergrad housing options I've seen in my lifetime). But on the other hand, the website says it is also for graduate-level students and, man, it's pretty much right across the street from the law school. That fact in itself could be really nice.

wryguy
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:06 pm

Re: UC Berkeley (Boalt Hall) Law Class of 2019

Postby wryguy » Sat May 07, 2016 10:35 pm

Little late to the party but I'm officially in.

legalsensei
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:37 pm

Re: UC Berkeley (Boalt Hall) Law Class of 2019

Postby legalsensei » Sun May 08, 2016 5:27 pm

Just got updated that need based aid has been fully exhausted and that they do not anticipate giving out any more awards.

User avatar
RationalHeretic23
Posts: 94
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:46 am

Re: UC Berkeley (Boalt Hall) Law Class of 2019

Postby RationalHeretic23 » Mon May 09, 2016 11:52 am

legalsensei wrote:Just got updated that need based aid has been fully exhausted and that they do not anticipate giving out any more awards.


This is just for need based, right? Did they say anything about merit based?

skovorodka
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon May 09, 2016 1:59 pm

Re: UC Berkeley (Boalt Hall) Law Class of 2019

Postby skovorodka » Mon May 09, 2016 2:03 pm

legalsensei wrote:Just got updated that need based aid has been fully exhausted and that they do not anticipate giving out any more awards.


Yikes. I called last week and was told that they would be releasing more need-based aid this week, actually. Who did you speak with?

legalsensei
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:37 pm

Re: UC Berkeley (Boalt Hall) Law Class of 2019

Postby legalsensei » Tue May 10, 2016 12:56 am

RationalHeretic23 wrote:
legalsensei wrote:Just got updated that need based aid has been fully exhausted and that they do not anticipate giving out any more awards.


This is just for need based, right? Did they say anything about merit based?


Yes, just need based. I followed up asking about merit so I'll give an update once I get a reply.

legalsensei
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:37 pm

Re: UC Berkeley (Boalt Hall) Law Class of 2019

Postby legalsensei » Tue May 10, 2016 12:57 am

skovorodka wrote:
legalsensei wrote:Just got updated that need based aid has been fully exhausted and that they do not anticipate giving out any more awards.


Yikes. I called last week and was told that they would be releasing more need-based aid this week, actually. Who did you speak with?


That is interesting... All my emails have been answered by Elena McSwiggen. Who did you speak with?

skovorodka
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon May 09, 2016 1:59 pm

Re: UC Berkeley (Boalt Hall) Law Class of 2019

Postby skovorodka » Tue May 10, 2016 1:12 am

legalsensei wrote:
skovorodka wrote:
legalsensei wrote:Just got updated that need based aid has been fully exhausted and that they do not anticipate giving out any more awards.


Yikes. I called last week and was told that they would be releasing more need-based aid this week, actually. Who did you speak with?


That is interesting... All my emails have been answered by Elena McSwiggen. Who did you speak with?


I just called the office and spoke with the person who answered. I'm assuming it was a receptionist or somebody in an administrative assistant role. I think her name was Patricia? I had tried calling so many times in the past without any answer that I honestly wasn't expecting to speak to a human. I asked several times to confirm that I was understanding what she was saying, and she very explicitly said that more need-based aid was coming out this week.

I also asked about merit aid. She gave me the non-response that if I haven't received any merit-based aid by now, I should proceed with the understanding that I won't be receiving anything. I don't think I pressed for more of a response beyond that.

I did think it was interesting that she specifically gave me different answers for need-based and merit-based aid, which made me feel hopeful (I'm needy as hell).

Now I'm bummed to hear you heard something completely different.

User avatar
Muiraquita
Posts: 716
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:31 pm

Re: UC Berkeley (Boalt Hall) Law Class of 2019

Postby Muiraquita » Wed May 11, 2016 12:10 pm

Looking around for potential housing is perhaps one of the most depressing things in a very long while.

How they budget so low for rent is baffling to me.

username8112
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:04 pm

Re: UC Berkeley (Boalt Hall) Law Class of 2019

Postby username8112 » Thu May 12, 2016 4:18 pm

How is everyone going about finding roommates? It might be a little early but seeing as housing is an absolute disaster, I thought it would be good to get a head start. I have found a couple of good options that keep rent below 1100 each person per room if we can get a group of 3 or 4 roommates together.. so I am looking for a few chill housemates (preferably guys, but hey if a gal doesn't mind living with guys, I'm definitely open to it) . A little about me. I'm from LA, studied History at UCLA. I am fairly active, I work out daily, drink every now and then and like to be social. I'm laid back and fairly clean. If anyone is interested in getting together and finding a place soon, PM me and we will try to coordinate something through facebook.

User avatar
ErgoSum
Posts: 427
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:35 pm

Re: UC Berkeley (Boalt Hall) Law Class of 2019

Postby ErgoSum » Wed May 25, 2016 7:21 pm

If anyone is looking for housing starting in June, let me know. I'm a former Manville resident (I moved out last month) and was told I could find a replacement. It's a one bedroom one bath studio apartment on Shattuck and Channing Way, in a Berkeley-graduate-student-only building (mostly Law). It's 1,200 a month and includes internet. There are washers and dryers on the bottom floor as well. Message me if you are interested and I can give you more info. My room had an AWESOME window/view since it was a corner room (only one neighbor).

User avatar
pterodactyls
Posts: 519
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:27 pm

Re: UC Berkeley (Boalt Hall) Law Class of 2019

Postby pterodactyls » Tue May 31, 2016 12:31 pm

Anyone know how to submit the Statement of Legal Residence (SLR)?

The admissions checklist says all incoming students must complete an SLR in CalCentral by June 1. But when I log in to CalCentral, there is no option to submit an SLR. I tried calling both the Law Admissions Office and the University's Residency Office, and both have automated messages that say they are not accepting calls and I am not allowed to leave a message.

Edit: Maybe it's because I just submitted my intent to enroll this morning, so my account hasn't updated yet? Will the SLR appear after that?

b1e9r8k7
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:37 pm

Re: UC Berkeley (Boalt Hall) Law Class of 2019

Postby b1e9r8k7 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:36 pm

Hi! I would try the Cal Central tech support people. I had a different issue with something not showing up and they helped. It might not be a tech issue, but that's good info to know so you can plan a next step.

User avatar
dietcoke1
Posts: 1320
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:18 pm

Re: UC Berkeley (Boalt Hall) Law Class of 2019

Postby dietcoke1 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:47 pm

Officially withdrew. Good luck you guys.

User avatar
pterodactyls
Posts: 519
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:27 pm

Re: UC Berkeley (Boalt Hall) Law Class of 2019

Postby pterodactyls » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:29 pm

b1e9r8k7 wrote:Hi! I would try the Cal Central tech support people. I had a different issue with something not showing up and they helped. It might not be a tech issue, but that's good info to know so you can plan a next step.


Thanks for the info! Once my statement of intent processed for a day, the SLR showed up on CalCentral so I'm all set now!

User avatar
pterodactyls
Posts: 519
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:27 pm

Re: UC Berkeley (Boalt Hall) Law Class of 2019

Postby pterodactyls » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:31 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:Officially withdrew. Good luck you guys.


Going elsewhere or taking a year off?

User avatar
Unfathomableruckus
Posts: 149
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:32 pm

Re: UC Berkeley (Boalt Hall) Law Class of 2019

Postby Unfathomableruckus » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:01 pm

I just let the date pass instead of oushing the button. It was less painful. Sorry wailing people!

User avatar
dietcoke1
Posts: 1320
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:18 pm

Re: UC Berkeley (Boalt Hall) Law Class of 2019

Postby dietcoke1 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:17 pm

pterodactyls wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:Officially withdrew. Good luck you guys.


Going elsewhere or taking a year off?


Will be riding out one wait list but otherwise retaking LSAT and trying again. I just couldn't stomach Berkely at sticker. But otherwise, it seems like an amazing place.

sudijajd
Posts: 74
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 12:24 pm

Re: UC Berkeley (Boalt Hall) Law Class of 2019

Postby sudijajd » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:12 pm

Does anyone know much about the Berkeley Pre-Orientation we just got in the e-mail? Curious to see what people think - is it worthwhile?


Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest