UC Berkeley (Boalt Hall) Law Class of 2019 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)

Will you be attending Admitted Students Weekend?

Yes
61%
No
15%
Maybe
1%
No, but I'll be doing an individual visit
13%
No, already visited
10%

Total votes: 71

Seanasr

New

Re: UC Berkeley (Boalt Hall) Law Class of 2019

Post by Seanasr » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:33 pm

There are signs everywhere that say "survivors' safety is more important than abusers' careers."

lemonparty

Silver

Post by lemonparty » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:52 pm

freshprinceoflaw wrote:
For those of you at ASW could you let us know what they say, if anything, about this? I was super excited about Berkeley, but then this news dropped... :cry:
Well they addressed it right away. So far, I think they've handled it well and been pretty up front and candid about it. Two student body resps promoted a petition to get him to resign from all duties at the university (he officially resigned as dean this morning.) I'm glad they didn't just pretend nothing happened.

pterodactyls

Silver

Post by pterodactyls » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:47 pm

lemondrop wrote:
freshprinceoflaw wrote:
For those of you at ASW could you let us know what they say, if anything, about this? I was super excited about Berkeley, but then this news dropped... :cry:
Well they addressed it right away. So far, I think they've handled it well and been pretty up front and candid about it. Two student body resps promoted a petition to get him to resign from all duties at the university (he officially resigned as dean this morning.) I'm glad they didn't just pretend nothing happened.
That's good to hear!

I want to see a petition to have the provost resign for trying to sweep it under the rug.

fra

Bronze

Post by fra » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:16 pm

pterodactyls wrote:
lemondrop wrote:
freshprinceoflaw wrote:
That's good to hear!

I want to see a petition to have the provost resign for trying to sweep it under the rug.
Current Berkeley 1L here! Staying silent and pretending that nothing happened is definitely not happening with the student body, or the professors. This is a big deal to us and we are confronting it head on. Student groups have been meeting and have delivered a letter to to Provost outlining what we think next steps need to be in order to change the system and the administrative culture that allowed this to happen. If you are at ASW you can find the letter posted on any of the bulletin boards around the school. In addition if you have any questions about anything feel free to ask any of the students! We are all very friendly and would love to talk to you about our Berkeley experience.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

batman88

New

Post by batman88 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:18 pm

If I have equal offers from Michigan and Duke, which one would be better to submit for matching scholly at Berkeley? Not sure since they just switched places in rankings...

Iam3hunna

Bronze

Post by Iam3hunna » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:30 pm

I'll Be at ASW fairly soon. Can't wait!

larsy91

New

Post by larsy91 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:21 am

batman88 wrote:If I have equal offers from Michigan and Duke, which one would be better to submit for matching scholly at Berkeley? Not sure since they just switched places in rankings...
+1. Would love to hear some thoughts on this. My initial thoughts are to go with Duke...

Lawcat11

Bronze

Post by Lawcat11 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:29 am

larsy91 wrote:
batman88 wrote:If I have equal offers from Michigan and Duke, which one would be better to submit for matching scholly at Berkeley? Not sure since they just switched places in rankings...
+1. Would love to hear some thoughts on this. My initial thoughts are to go with Duke...
Honestly, given what I have heard about the time it takes for Berkeley to respond, I would go with whomever has the closer deadline.
Last edited by Lawcat11 on Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bamb00zled

Bronze

Post by bamb00zled » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:29 pm

Is there a facebook group yet?

slippin_jimmy

Gold

Post by slippin_jimmy » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:25 pm

Update on the Dean situation for anyone who did not attend ASW (they sent a follow up e-mail to just attendees, I think):

"Also, in the event you have not yet heard, President Napolitano has directed Chancellor Dirks to bar Sujit Choudhry from the campus for the rest of the term and to institute disciplinary proceedings against him in the academic senate. She also announced that the University does not intend to defend nor indemnify Choudhry in court: http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-m ... story.html "

Lawcat11

Bronze

Post by Lawcat11 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:30 pm

bamb00zled wrote:Is there a facebook group yet?
On one of the tours at ASW, the guide said that students usually just make their own.

crescentstars

Bronze

Post by crescentstars » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:27 am

So what were people's thoughts on ASW? I was pretty impressed with how the school (and especially the students) handled everything this weekend, and I left feeling pretty great about Boalt. :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

KiltedKicker

Bronze

Post by KiltedKicker » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:29 am

I was impressed, the school seems like a perfect fit for me. The faculty seemed great, and students seemed smart and driven but also laid back and collegial. Downtown Berkeley is fun, and I would hate to leave the Bay. The grading system seems like it would make things a lot less stressful, and holy shit did students seem happy. The school also seems very diverse in terms of the type of people it attracts, except that basically everyone is liberal. I can't decide until I get an offer, but it definitely made me want to go. But damn, choosing is going to be hard

jphiggo

Bronze

Post by jphiggo » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:52 am

KiltedKicker wrote:The school also seems very diverse in terms of the type of people it attracts, except that basically everyone is liberal.
For what it's worth, the legal profession in general leans to the left from what I've observed. Whereas there certainly is truth to the notion that Berkeley is quite liberal, there are plenty of students that would categorize themselves as independent, and there are also plenty that would consider themselves conservatives. There is also a quite active Federalist Society at Boalt. Basically what I'm trying to say is, there sometimes is a notion communicated that Berkeley is all about far-left activism. Whereas you can certainly find it if you seek it out, I've found both hall and classroom discussions to represent and respect a diverse set of political views. It was actually rather surprising, as I was expecting more of the typical "Berzerkeley" represented on sites like this when I arrived, and what I found was quite different.

sockstcat

New

Post by sockstcat » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:55 am

KiltedKicker wrote: and holy shit did students seem happy.
+1 like so happy that I wondered if they were being fake lol

dizzystpizzy

Bronze

Post by dizzystpizzy » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:55 pm

crescentstars wrote:So what were people's thoughts on ASW? I was pretty impressed with how the school (and especially the students) handled everything this weekend, and I left feeling pretty great about Boalt. :D
After the news broke, I had pretty much given up on Berkeley; it just seemed so unbelievably hypocritical. ASW left me much more positive about Boalt. As mentioned above, the students, staff, and faculty were extremely honest and forthcoming about both their outrage and hopes. I was reassured that while the UC Berkeley and Boalt Law administration may have acted terribly, it does not reflect the attitude of the school generally. Everyone seemed optimistic that this crisis would lead to important changes at the university and law school.

Also the students were ridiculously happy. Even the ones who weren't on show & tell for ASW. Could totally see myself there.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

urbanist11

Silver

Post by urbanist11 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:57 pm

Absolutely loved asw and Berkeley. Perfect mix of everything I'm looking for in a school, and it felt like home. Now comes the hard part ($).

180kickflip

Bronze

Post by 180kickflip » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:15 pm

urbanist11 wrote:Absolutely loved asw and Berkeley. Perfect mix of everything I'm looking for in a school, and it felt like home. Now comes the hard part ($).
**please dont quote**

so much this^. I submitted a matching request, and if it's granted, I can't see anything tearing me away from Boalt.

I just wish I had a clearer understanding of how they incorporate need aid with merit to come up with final offers. I mean...I'm suuuuper poor, so I feel like I'm guaranteed the max (75k) need aid. I just dont understand if that's really considered separate from merit. Like, if they only match 75k of my submitted offer, will I get that 75k PLUS the 75K max need (making it nearly full tuition and my dreams come true), or will they see that I'm getting 75k in need aid, and then only give me like a 20% match to keep the total offer down =/

Any insight?

skimmilk

Bronze

Post by skimmilk » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:23 pm

^ they addressed this at ASW. They have a lot of discretion when it comes to matching. It is likely that if you get 75k in need and your matching scholarship is 75k that they will not match as they have already gave you the same offer. This does not mean that they will not give you a merit scholarship, though. Basically at ASW they said, for instance, if you request a matching scholly of 30k and Berkeley has already offered you 15k in need, then you will most likely get 15k in matching (bringing you up to match the 30k offer).

skimmilk

Bronze

Post by skimmilk » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:30 pm

Also in regards to ASW, I loved Berkeley's law school, the students, and the professors. I really enjoyed the grading system and the closeness of the student body. With that being said, I have some hesitations about moving to Berkeley, CA. Housing seems awful and I honestly couldn't tell the good part of town from bad (it all looked run down, unsafe, etc.). At this point I am hoping they offer some decent money as I would like to attend, but given how much I disliked the area I will probably need some persuading... Oh and I didn't see a single Dunkin Donuts which, on top of not having my favorite grocery store, really is a downer :lol:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Lawcat11

Bronze

Post by Lawcat11 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:44 pm

skimmilk wrote:Also in regards to ASW, I loved Berkeley's law school, the students, and the professors. I really enjoyed the grading system and the closeness of the student body. With that being said, I have some hesitations about moving to Berkeley, CA. Housing seems awful and I honestly couldn't tell the good part of town from bad (it all looked run down, unsafe, etc.). At this point I am hoping they offer some decent money as I would like to attend, but given how much I disliked the area I will probably need some persuading... Oh and I didn't see a single Dunkin Donuts which, on top of not having my favorite grocery store, really is a downer :lol:
I agree about the housing. One thing that made me nervous was the fact that leases seem to only be for 12 months there- which means that you would have to stay in the area for summer jobs. I did meet up with a friend who lives in Berkeley during ASW and she said that summer subletters aren't that hard to find but there's more supply than demand so you generally will have to pay some of the rent for those months :roll:

Don't worry about the Dunkin Donuts- on the west coast we have Peets :D

jtg21

Bronze

Post by jtg21 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:04 pm

Applesauce11 wrote:
skimmilk wrote:Also in regards to ASW, I loved Berkeley's law school, the students, and the professors. I really enjoyed the grading system and the closeness of the student body. With that being said, I have some hesitations about moving to Berkeley, CA. Housing seems awful and I honestly couldn't tell the good part of town from bad (it all looked run down, unsafe, etc.). At this point I am hoping they offer some decent money as I would like to attend, but given how much I disliked the area I will probably need some persuading... Oh and I didn't see a single Dunkin Donuts which, on top of not having my favorite grocery store, really is a downer :lol:
I agree about the housing. One thing that made me nervous was the fact that leases seem to only be for 12 months there- which means that you would have to stay in the area for summer jobs. I did meet up with a friend who lives in Berkeley during ASW and she said that summer subletters aren't that hard to find but there's more supply than demand so you generally will have to pay some of the rent for those months :roll:

Don't worry about the Dunkin Donuts- on the west coast we have Peets :D
Feel free to PM me if you have housing questions or want to know more about good/safe areas. I did my undergrad there, and recently helped my brother find his housing for next year (he's an undergrad currently). From what I can tell, the housing market has gotten pretty rough and increased in average cost since I lived there. That being said, it looks like subletting might be a bit easier since there is a such a housing shortage in general.

Also <3 Peets. And Cheeseboard.

dietcoke1

Silver

Post by dietcoke1 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:49 pm

Just going to second what everyone has said about ASW. Also, some schools seem to draw a big red line between PI and BigLaw. A line that no one is supposed to cross. At Berkeley, I got the sense that separation isn't a factor. Students and faculty seem really supportive in letting you try multiple areas and finding what your comfortable in.

Also, it appears as though, if your interested in practicing in the East Coast the transition from Berkeley to the East Coast is relatively easy. Firms apparently want a selection from the top schools and getting Berkeley and Stanford alumni can be difficult, as most students stay in California. So if your worried about heading back to the East Coast, that doesn't seem to be a problem!

pterodactyls

Silver

Post by pterodactyls » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:16 pm

skimmilk wrote:Oh and I didn't see a single Dunkin Donuts
You won't find one, it's all Starbucks and Philz out there.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”