Penn Law Class of 2019 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)
Clearly

Gold

Re: Penn Law Class of 2019

Post by Clearly » Thu May 05, 2016 12:17 pm

zyxwvut2 wrote:
penn19 wrote:
zyxwvut2 wrote:
penn19 wrote:I'm PennKey official! Shiz gettin rulllll up in hurr.

ETA: Just registered for my email too. Squee.
I was dying over the options, torn between the hilarious alphabet soup combos and just my boring name :lol:

SO EXCITED.
Lmao, SAME. Opted to go for the generic firstnamelastname@pennlaw.upenn.edu. Now I just have to wait 24 hours for my email account to be created >.< Can we get our schedules already? :p

Maybe I should figure out housing first doe.
housing I've resigned myself to waiting until June... sidenote are you in the fb group? a 3L is asking someone to take over her lease for her in June... like who are you. nobody wants that.

and re: schedules, I did some stalking and sections came out on August 19th both last year and the year before, so we've got some waiting to do
:roll: how dare someone present you with an option. :roll:

scandk

Bronze

Post by scandk » Fri May 06, 2016 12:09 am

For current students, any thoughts on 2400 Chestnut?

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Fri May 06, 2016 12:34 am

scandk wrote:For current students, any thoughts on 2400 Chestnut?
Its whatever. A lot of 1Ls stay there, personally I find it overpriced for what you get which is a pretty mediocre apartment in a relatively convenient area. Neighborhood wise its a little far west to be super connected with center city or rittenhouse, but far enough east that you have to walk across the bridge to get to school. Of the overpriced student focused buildings its prob the least overpriced, but for my money I could and did get more outside of those types of places.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Fri May 06, 2016 12:36 am

That said, I'm pretty staunchly opposed to those types of places, just the cost/benefit doesn't add up in my brain, so if you want to adjust for the negativity of my opinion regarding 2400, 1212, left bank, domus, 2116 chestnut etc, at least know that I think 2400 is the better deal of those types of places.

scandk

Bronze

Post by scandk » Fri May 06, 2016 12:50 pm

Clearly wrote:
Its whatever. A lot of 1Ls stay there, personally I find it overpriced for what you get which is a pretty mediocre apartment in a relatively convenient area. Neighborhood wise its a little far west to be super connected with center city or rittenhouse, but far enough east that you have to walk across the bridge to get to school. Of the overpriced student focused buildings its prob the least overpriced, but for my money I could and did get more outside of those types of places.
Thanks so much for the input! I'd love to save money if I can -- what do you think are some of the better alternatives?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Fri May 06, 2016 2:43 pm

scandk wrote:
Clearly wrote:
Thanks so much for the input! I'd love to save money if I can -- what do you think are some of the better alternatives?
basically wait till you're closer and just find available one off apartments. I'm in a nice 1Br in Rittenhouse for 1250. Craigslist, padmapper etc. Those big buildings make money by being big enough to have availability in advance and being easier to rent but you're paying kind of a crazy premium for those benefits imo

slizerd

Gold

Post by slizerd » Wed May 11, 2016 8:27 pm

Has anyone gotten a letter regarding Penn's immunization requirements? My SO is starting grad school at Penn and just got one, but it says their health requirements apply to all students and need to be satisfied by July 1st so it makes me nervous that I haven't heard anything about that until now :?

zyxwvut2

New

Post by zyxwvut2 » Thu May 12, 2016 7:42 am

slizerd wrote:Has anyone gotten a letter regarding Penn's immunization requirements? My SO is starting grad school at Penn and just got one, but it says their health requirements apply to all students and need to be satisfied by July 1st so it makes me nervous that I haven't heard anything about that until now :?
July 1 is better than June 1! But no, I haven't heard anything. We need to send final transcripts I think at some point as well, they don't accept the transcripts included in your CAS report but I haven't seen any reminders about that either. I'm assuming/hopeful they'll send out something soon :|

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Thu May 12, 2016 10:23 pm

slizerd wrote:Has anyone gotten a letter regarding Penn's immunization requirements? My SO is starting grad school at Penn and just got one, but it says their health requirements apply to all students and need to be satisfied by July 1st so it makes me nervous that I haven't heard anything about that until now :?
Don't stress about this, it'll come later and even if it doesn't till you start you still get a grace period if I recall. Literally not a thing to worry about at all. Worst comes to worst they'll tell you to go to Penn health up the street after class and they'll stab you with the required stabbings

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

slizerd

Gold

Post by slizerd » Fri May 13, 2016 12:19 am

Clearly wrote:
Don't stress about this, it'll come later and even if it doesn't till you start you still get a grace period if I recall. Literally not a thing to worry about at all. Worst comes to worst they'll tell you to go to Penn health up the street after class and they'll stab you with the required stabbings
Ok, thanks! The warnings on the immunization page about registration being delayed/cancelled made me have an oh-shit moment, but this makes me feel a lot better. My excitement for the fall is making me slightly neurotic :oops:

gobears!!

Gold

Post by gobears!! » Tue May 17, 2016 3:45 pm

Housing search officially has me wanting to rip my hair out. The indecisive me can't decide between University City vs. Center City and living on my own or with someone. Just needed to vent a bit....

gobears!!

Gold

Post by gobears!! » Tue May 17, 2016 6:44 pm

Does anyone have advice about going through University City Housing v. University City Associates?

slizerd

Gold

Post by slizerd » Tue May 17, 2016 9:00 pm

gobears!! wrote:Does anyone have advice about going through University City Housing v. University City Associates?
I leased with UCH and really liked them! They were willing to renovate the apt I wanted and helped me get furniture other people left behind. Hopefully it's nice actually living there though.
UCA had way more negative reviews than UCH and their properties outwardly looked shittier, so I pretty much stayed away (also all the available ones when I looked were west of 45th Street and I've heard bad things about that area)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

gobears!!

Gold

Post by gobears!! » Wed May 18, 2016 11:14 am

slizerd wrote:
gobears!! wrote:Does anyone have advice about going through University City Housing v. University City Associates?
I leased with UCH and really liked them! They were willing to renovate the apt I wanted and helped me get furniture other people left behind. Hopefully it's nice actually living there though.
UCA had way more negative reviews than UCH and their properties outwardly looked shittier, so I pretty much stayed away (also all the available ones when I looked were west of 45th Street and I've heard bad things about that area)
Thank you for the input :) I am out west and will have to rely on google maps, a video tour, or pictures. Hopefully I don't end up somewhere tooooo shitty

politicaljungle

New

Post by politicaljungle » Wed May 18, 2016 4:34 pm

gobears!! wrote:
slizerd wrote:
Thank you for the input :) I am out west and will have to rely on google maps, a video tour, or pictures. Hopefully I don't end up somewhere tooooo shitty
How do I access UCH? What is that exactly?

gobears!!

Gold

Post by gobears!! » Wed May 18, 2016 5:10 pm

politicaljungle wrote:
gobears!! wrote:
slizerd wrote:
Here you go: http://universitycityhousing.com/

They just manage some properties throughout University City. All properties are fairly close to Penn. I sent them an email and they forwarded a list of available properties.

slizerd

Gold

Post by slizerd » Wed May 18, 2016 5:56 pm

gobears!! wrote:
politicaljungle wrote:
gobears!! wrote:
slizerd wrote:

They just manage some properties throughout University City. All properties are fairly close to Penn. I sent them an email and they forwarded a list of available properties.
If you are able to get to philly for a day, I'd suggest setting up an appointment with them. I did all my apartment hunting in one day; I got to UCH when it opened at 11, picked out the properties I wanted to see (around 10 or so) and they drove me around and showed me all of them. I was able to decide on one and have the lease signed by 4, it was relatively painless thankfully. And much better than doing it online; one of the properties I really liked online I hated in person. Good luck!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

politicaljungle

New

Post by politicaljungle » Thu May 19, 2016 12:41 pm

slizerd wrote:
gobears!! wrote:
politicaljungle wrote:
gobears!! wrote:
slizerd wrote:

If you are able to get to philly for a day, I'd suggest setting up an appointment with them. I did all my apartment hunting in one day; I got to UCH when it opened at 11, picked out the properties I wanted to see (around 10 or so) and they drove me around and showed me all of them. I was able to decide on one and have the lease signed by 4, it was relatively painless thankfully. And much better than doing it online; one of the properties I really liked online I hated in person. Good luck!
That's great to hear, thanks!

Auxilio

Silver

Post by Auxilio » Fri May 20, 2016 10:51 pm

I just figured I would come back to echo my earlier statements (with Clearly) that one of the cheaper options around Rittenhouse (defined broadly) are probably the best option. I don't know anyone who got one 1L that is moving further west for 2L. My building is unfortunately going up in price I think for new rooms to get close to the 2116/2400 amounts (which I agree are too much) but some of the Walnut/Locust especially ones are great values.

politicaljungle

New

Post by politicaljungle » Fri May 20, 2016 11:02 pm

Auxilio wrote:I just figured I would come back to echo my earlier statements (with Clearly) that one of the cheaper options around Rittenhouse (defined broadly) are probably the best option. I don't know anyone who got one 1L that is moving further west for 2L. My building is unfortunately going up in price I think for new rooms to get close to the 2116/2400 amounts (which I agree are too much) but some of the Walnut/Locust especially ones are great values.
Are those apartments (Walnut/Locust)?

Auxilio

Silver

Post by Auxilio » Fri May 20, 2016 11:04 pm

politicaljungle wrote:
Auxilio wrote:I just figured I would come back to echo my earlier statements (with Clearly) that one of the cheaper options around Rittenhouse (defined broadly) are probably the best option. I don't know anyone who got one 1L that is moving further west for 2L. My building is unfortunately going up in price I think for new rooms to get close to the 2116/2400 amounts (which I agree are too much) but some of the Walnut/Locust especially ones are great values.
Are those apartments (Walnut/Locust)?
Some are, a lot are walk ups or odd small dwelling areas. I would just go through craigslist and get a sense.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

penn19

New

Post by penn19 » Sun May 22, 2016 5:38 pm

Has anyone received word on their request for federal loans yet? :)

slizerd

Gold

Post by slizerd » Sun May 22, 2016 7:21 pm

penn19 wrote:Has anyone received word on their request for federal loans yet? :)
Got the amount I'm approved for in the mail, nothing through email yet and no directions on doing the MPN or next steps :/
Kind of surprised that even though I have a scholarship I was still approved for the whole ~80k budget in loans

penn19

New

Post by penn19 » Sun May 22, 2016 7:25 pm

slizerd wrote:
penn19 wrote:Has anyone received word on their request for federal loans yet? :)
Got the amount I'm approved for in the mail, nothing through email yet and no directions on doing the MPN or next steps :/
Kind of surprised that even though I have a scholarship I was still approved for the whole ~80k budget in loans
Oh ok gotcha, thanks! I moved recently so maybe that's why I haven't heard about anything yet. I'll keep my eyes peeled for snail mail.

zyxwvut2

New

Post by zyxwvut2 » Tue May 31, 2016 11:56 am

penn19 wrote:
slizerd wrote:
Oh ok gotcha, thanks! I moved recently so maybe that's why I haven't heard about anything yet. I'll keep my eyes peeled for snail mail.
PSA - just found the certification letter in my gmail spam. I emailed finaid this morning asking where the letter was sent since I have two addresses on file and they said all communications would be via email.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”