Northwestern Pritzker Law Class of 2019 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)

Will you be attending ASW (April 1st & 2nd)?

Yes, see you there!
42%
Maybe, I'm not sure yet.
2%
No, I won't be attending.
33%
No, I've already visited/scheduled an alternate visit.
23%

Total votes: 43

herecomesthesun

Bronze

Re: Northwestern Pritzker Law Class of 2019

Post by herecomesthesun » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:06 pm

Checking in! Now to get all that financial stuff out by March 1. :shock: So is it cool for that first essay deal to basically discuss resume stuff? I have another offer from a peer school but I feel that's preemptive at this point

TheKisSquared

Silver

Post by TheKisSquared » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:16 pm

herecomesthesun wrote:Checking in! Now to get all that financial stuff out by March 1. :shock: So is it cool for that first essay deal to basically discuss resume stuff? I have another offer from a peer school but I feel that's preemptive at this point
Merit aid is for resume stuff. Other offers are for increasing your initial offer.

Cochran

Bronze

Post by Cochran » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:47 am

Wake up people (myself included)! Is anyone else already booked and ready for ASW?

urbanist11

Silver

Post by urbanist11 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:49 am

Cochran wrote:Wake up people (myself included)! Is anyone else already booked and ready for ASW?
Rsvped! Just need to decide on accommodations.

James.K.Polk

Silver

Post by James.K.Polk » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:12 am

Cochran wrote:Wake up people (myself included)! Is anyone else already booked and ready for ASW?
Booked, ready, hyped. Can't wait to hear on Financial Aid, too!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

threatlevelmidnight

Bronze

Post by threatlevelmidnight » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:13 am

I'll be there! Really excited to see Chicago as well.

Cochran

Bronze

Post by Cochran » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:32 am

Awesome guys, see y'all there!

And btw, are any of you familiar with any of Chicago's hostels? There's one really close to the school for a great price that I'm probably going to pull the trigger on, but the concept just seems so different. I'm excited to try it out though, despite hollywood's oh so accurate depiction of hostels in movies :lol:

herecomesthesun

Bronze

Post by herecomesthesun » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:34 am

Cochran wrote:Awesome guys, see y'all there!

And btw, are any of you familiar with any of Chicago's hostels? There's one really close to the school for a great price that I'm probably going to pull the trigger on, but the concept just seems so different. I'm excited to try it out though, despite hollywood's oh so accurate depiction of hostels in movies :lol:
I stayed in one in Italy and didn't die. It was a private room one though as I had 3 other people traveling with me

Cochran

Bronze

Post by Cochran » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:35 am

threatlevelmidnight wrote:
Is this going to be your first time to Chi? I went once as a kid, but barely got to see anything in the city/ do fun things. To any Chicagoans out there: where's the best pizza, bars, places to have fun, ect.?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

threatlevelmidnight

Bronze

Post by threatlevelmidnight » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:40 am

Cochran wrote:
Is this going to be your first time to Chi? I went once as a kid, but barely got to see anything in the city/ do fun things. To any Chicagoans out there: where's the best pizza, bars, places to have fun, ect.?
Yep, first time. The cheapest flight in I could find was on Thursday morning, so I'll be there a day early before ASW. Any suggestions of things to do while I wait to check into my hotel? :D

Cochran

Bronze

Post by Cochran » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:40 am

herecomesthesun wrote:

I stayed in one in Italy and didn't die. It was a private room one though as I had 3 other people traveling with me
That's cool, congrats on making it out lol. The one I'm looking at is shared, so I hope it will have other students instead of a parent/grandparent crowd.

herecomesthesun

Bronze

Post by herecomesthesun » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:43 am

Cochran wrote:
herecomesthesun wrote:

That's cool, congrats on making it out lol. The one I'm looking at is shared, so I hope it will have other students instead of a parent/grandparent crowd.
Yeah I definitely didn't trust its security (the locks didn't work so well) but nothing was taken and we were fine. If it's near the school, I imagine you'd have a mostly student crowd. They're super cheap so it's a great option

slippin_jimmy

Gold

Post by slippin_jimmy » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:44 am

If it's the big one in the loop (Hostelling International), I've stayed there for about a week. It's nice, though I think the hot water can run out on occasion depending how full it is.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

archipm

Bronze

Post by archipm » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:22 pm

Cochran wrote:

I love Bacino's spinach pizza but it's not the most standard deep dish option out there. Try to get some Greek food too. This may sound grandma ish but the art institute is amazing even if you're not super into art. I guess don't go if you really hate art.

slippin_jimmy

Gold

Post by slippin_jimmy » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:24 pm

archipm wrote:
Cochran wrote:

I love Bacino's spinach pizza but it's not the most standard deep dish option out there. Try to get some Greek food too. This may sound grandma ish but the art institute is amazing even if you're not super into art. I guess don't go if you really hate art.
Art Institute is killer. For deep dish, Pequod's if you want to get outside the loop a little. Gino's if you're staying in the loop.

herecomesthesun

Bronze

Post by herecomesthesun » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:29 pm

So I was accepted last week and met the priority deadline for financial aid (even though they gave me till the 4th). I'm not especially worried about it, but any knowledge of when offers typically start going out?

urbanist11

Silver

Post by urbanist11 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:31 pm

herecomesthesun wrote:So I was accepted last week and met the priority deadline for financial aid (even though they gave me till the 4th). I'm not especially worried about it, but any knowledge of when offers typically start going out?
Late March. Last year was the 27th and the year before that the 20th.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

herecomesthesun

Bronze

Post by herecomesthesun » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:33 pm

urbanist11 wrote:
herecomesthesun wrote:So I was accepted last week and met the priority deadline for financial aid (even though they gave me till the 4th). I'm not especially worried about it, but any knowledge of when offers typically start going out?
Late March. Last year was the 27th and the year before that the 20th.
Sort of what I figured. I'm just hoping to have a feel for it by April

gamerish

Gold

Post by gamerish » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:32 pm

Looking at the scholarship request form. They ask you to "assess your position for merit aid" apart from GPA/LSAT. Anybody got any tips about what to talk about lol? I figured GPA/LSAT would be the crux of merit aid and they already have my resume/personal statement so I wasn't sure if it would be in bad taste to talk about soft factors they're already aware of.

pittsburghpirates

Silver

Post by pittsburghpirates » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:49 pm

gamerish wrote:Looking at the scholarship request form. They ask you to "assess your position for merit aid" apart from GPA/LSAT. Anybody got any tips about what to talk about lol? I figured GPA/LSAT would be the crux of merit aid and they already have my resume/personal statement so I wasn't sure if it would be in bad taste to talk about soft factors they're already aware of.
I also had a tough time figuring out what to write here, but ended up rehashing some things from other parts of my application and tying in one or two new points. I think this question also asks for a discussion of financial need, so I spent some time talking about that as well. Best advice would be not to overthink it. You've already done the heavy lifting!

archipm

Bronze

Post by archipm » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:34 pm

gamerish wrote:Looking at the scholarship request form. They ask you to "assess your position for merit aid" apart from GPA/LSAT. Anybody got any tips about what to talk about lol? I figured GPA/LSAT would be the crux of merit aid and they already have my resume/personal statement so I wasn't sure if it would be in bad taste to talk about soft factors they're already aware of.
I thought about it this way: If someone from the financial aid office asked you in a personal interview to explain why the school should offer to pay your tuition for you, you wouldn't say "Well, I got X on my LSAT and my GPA in undergrad was Y," and then stop talking. Talk about what you specifically add to the classroom environment and student groups, what you're like as a student/classmate/employee/alum, why your addition to the community in the short and long term has value to them. Why you're a worthy investment, basically. They already know your numbers, so imagine what would make you stand out if everyone's numbers were equal and had no bearing. This isn't necessarily rehashing softs/past accomplishments, although including examples that illustrate what you're talking about will strengthen your argument.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

herecomesthesun

Bronze

Post by herecomesthesun » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:38 am

^In retrospect, that's what I should have done. I basically talked about my resume and why my x,y,z activities made me strong.

Cochran

Bronze

Post by Cochran » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:19 am

archipm wrote:
I thought about it this way: If someone from the financial aid office asked you in a personal interview to explain why the school should offer to pay your tuition for you, you wouldn't say "Well, I got X on my LSAT and my GPA in undergrad was Y," and then stop talking. Talk about what you specifically add to the classroom environment and student groups, what you're like as a student/classmate/employee/alum, why your addition to the community in the short and long term has value to them. Why you're a worthy investment, basically. They already know your numbers, so imagine what would make you stand out if everyone's numbers were equal and had no bearing. This isn't necessarily rehashing softs/past accomplishments, although including examples that illustrate what you're talking about will strengthen your argument.
^ Ditto. I kinda just mentioned leadership positions and awards, stuff included on my resume. I kinda used the 2nd prompt about goals to explain what I felt I could bring to the class.

James.K.Polk

Silver

Post by James.K.Polk » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:23 am

I would add that speed is also a factor here... the deadline is/was March 1 or "within 5 days of admission."

FAQ says: We start awarding scholarships shortly after the program-specific priority financial aid deadline passes, and we continue awarding them until we run out of funds. If you miss the deadline, you are putting yourself at the back of the consideration line, which means there will be less funds available when we consider you. It is to your advantage to apply for aid as soon as you can, and no matter what, do not wait until you've paid your tuition deposit to apply.

So consider the essay, but don't consider it for too long!

herecomesthesun

Bronze

Post by herecomesthesun » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:24 am

James.K.Polk wrote:I would add that speed is also a factor here... the deadline is/was March 1 or "within 5 days of admission."

FAQ says: We start awarding scholarships shortly after the program-specific priority financial aid deadline passes, and we continue awarding them until we run out of funds. If you miss the deadline, you are putting yourself at the back of the consideration line, which means there will be less funds available when we consider you. It is to your advantage to apply for aid as soon as you can, and no matter what, do not wait until you've paid your tuition deposit to apply.

So consider the essay, but don't consider it for too long!
Yeah I figured the faster I got it in the better it was, even if it wasn't a phenomenal essay

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”