Duke Law Class of 2019 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)

When are you moving to Durham/Are you interested in a TLS meet-up before classes start?

Already here, baby
9%
May
2%
June
4%
July
4%
August
25%
Haven't figured it out yet
4%
Never. I'm not going to Duke, I just wanted to assert my right to vote
16%
Yes
27%
No
7%
Maybe
2%

Total votes: 55

Lawcat11

Bronze

Re: Duke Law Class of 2019

Post by Lawcat11 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:47 pm

MrBalloons wrote:I'd really love to hear something else re: negotiation. These mystical 20k bumps are sounding appealing. Maybe this Friday, if the meetings are on Fridays theory holds.
I just got a 10k bump this morning. So it seems like it could happen any day of the week.

theconsigliere

Bronze

Post by theconsigliere » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:49 pm

With all these people getting unsolicited bumps I am going to feel mega bummed out if my request is rejected. And on the other hand it won't feel as great to receive a bump now because Duke is giving them out like candy on Halloween.

Lawcat11

Bronze

Post by Lawcat11 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:57 pm

theconsigliere wrote:With all these people getting unsolicited bumps I am going to feel mega bummed out if my request is rejected. And on the other hand it won't feel as great to receive a bump now because Duke is giving them out like candy on Halloween.
Sorry- to be clear, I did make a request a few weeks ago and they answered me today (I thought they forgot about me, tbh). Keep up hope!

theconsigliere

Bronze

Post by theconsigliere » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:59 pm

Applesauce11 wrote:
theconsigliere wrote:With all these people getting unsolicited bumps I am going to feel mega bummed out if my request is rejected. And on the other hand it won't feel as great to receive a bump now because Duke is giving them out like candy on Halloween.
Sorry- to be clear, I did make a request a few weeks ago and they answered me today (I thought they forgot about me, tbh). Keep up hope!
Heheh I was kidding about that second part; of course I'll be happy. Congrats btw

LittleGiants16

New

Post by LittleGiants16 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:18 pm

Still nothing from FinAid. Starting to sweat with my deposit deadline tomorrow :cry:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

larsy91

New

Post by larsy91 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:43 pm

LittleGiants16 wrote:Still nothing from FinAid. Starting to sweat with my deposit deadline tomorrow :cry:
Are there different deadlines for different people? I saw the deadline of April 22 on the side of the admitted students website and thought that was the same for everyone. Am I wrong?

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:44 pm

larsy91 wrote:
LittleGiants16 wrote:Still nothing from FinAid. Starting to sweat with my deposit deadline tomorrow :cry:
Are there different deadlines for different people? I saw the deadline of April 22 on the side of the admitted students website and thought that was the same for everyone. Am I wrong?
The deposit deadline he has is for a different school.

LittleGiants16

New

Post by LittleGiants16 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:18 pm

Update: just received an email from FinAid. They increased my scholarship/tuition discount by $12k. :D

a2s8h

New

Post by a2s8h » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:41 am

So it looks like Duke's deposit policy doesn't allow double-depositing at all. Is anyone else worried about this? I still haven't heard back from the scholarship committee, and I have seat deposit deadlines coming up before Duke's.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MrBalloons

Bronze

Post by MrBalloons » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:44 pm

a2s8h wrote:So it looks like Duke's deposit policy doesn't allow double-depositing at all. Is anyone else worried about this? I still haven't heard back from the scholarship committee, and I have seat deposit deadlines coming up before Duke's.
Have you tried asking for extensions? I know some schools help you out.

I'm lucky that I'm down to two places and my other deadline is after Duke. The only deadline I'm worried about is scholarship negotiation dragging beyond April 22.

a2s8h

New

Post by a2s8h » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:06 pm

MrBalloons wrote:
a2s8h wrote:So it looks like Duke's deposit policy doesn't allow double-depositing at all. Is anyone else worried about this? I still haven't heard back from the scholarship committee, and I have seat deposit deadlines coming up before Duke's.
Have you tried asking for extensions? I know some schools help you out.

I'm lucky that I'm down to two places and my other deadline is after Duke. The only deadline I'm worried about is scholarship negotiation dragging beyond April 22.
I haven't tried asking for an extension, but I'm hearing that UVA (the other school) doesn't give extensions. I guess I have nothing to lose by asking though so I'll shoot them an email I guess?

RationalHeretic23

New

Post by RationalHeretic23 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:32 pm

Anyone have any advice on who I should contact about a deadline extension? My deadline is the 22nd and I'm planning on asking this Monday if it can be extended.

MrBalloons

Bronze

Post by MrBalloons » Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:56 pm

RationalHeretic23 wrote:Anyone have any advice on who I should contact about a deadline extension? My deadline is the 22nd and I'm planning on asking this Monday if it can be extended.
No advice, but if you have any results with this, let me know.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

anonymous117

Bronze

Post by anonymous117 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:38 pm

RationalHeretic23 wrote:Anyone have any advice on who I should contact about a deadline extension? My deadline is the 22nd and I'm planning on asking this Monday if it can be extended.
I am also planning to ask on Monday, so fingers crossed for us both.

RationalHeretic23

New

Post by RationalHeretic23 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:06 pm

anonymous117 wrote:
Which office are you planning to email? Financial aid, or admissions?

pittsburghpirates

Silver

Post by pittsburghpirates » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:24 pm

RationalHeretic23 wrote:
anonymous117 wrote:
If you're asking for an extension on the general deadline, I would think that would go through the admissions office. Good luck!

anonymous117

Bronze

Post by anonymous117 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:36 pm

pittsburghpirates wrote:
RationalHeretic23 wrote:
anonymous117 wrote:
If you're asking for an extension on the general deadline, I would think that would go through the admissions office. Good luck!
Yep, I was planning on emailing admissions!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lawschoolapplicant92

New

Post by lawschoolapplicant92 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:47 am

Just signed my lease in Durham! Can't wait to meet all y'all in August! :D

BillClinton Jr

Bronze

Post by BillClinton Jr » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:48 am

I asked financial aid for mine and that's who gave me my new date

BillClinton Jr

Bronze

Post by BillClinton Jr » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:48 am

lawschoolapplicant92 wrote:Just signed my lease in Durham! Can't wait to meet all y'all in August! :D
SAME! Im in Trinity Commons..anyone else in the building?

BillClinton Jr

Bronze

Post by BillClinton Jr » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:49 am

anonymous117 wrote:
pittsburghpirates wrote:
RationalHeretic23 wrote:
anonymous117 wrote:
Yep, I was planning on emailing admissions!
I was told financial aid and that is who sent me my extension.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TLSDookie

New

Post by TLSDookie » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:59 am

BillClinton Jr wrote:
lawschoolapplicant92 wrote:Just signed my lease in Durham! Can't wait to meet all y'all in August! :D
I've lived here for years--Just finished an MA at Duke, starting at the law school in the fall, I'll be staying at TC at least through 1L maybe all three years. Great choice of where to live, you can PM me for more details if you'd like.

jg61

New

Post by jg61 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:44 pm

Are people expecting to hear back about $ negotiations after the deposit deadline, and asking for extensions as a result, or is it because of other schools? I would assume that they would try their best to get back to everyone beforehand, but maybe that's not possible...and wondering if waiting to ask for an extension until mid-week is too late.

MrBalloons

Bronze

Post by MrBalloons » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:56 pm

jg61 wrote:Are people expecting to hear back about $ negotiations after the deposit deadline, and asking for extensions as a result, or is it because of other schools? I would assume that they would try their best to get back to everyone beforehand, but maybe that's not possible...and wondering if waiting to ask for an extension until mid-week is too late.
I'd imagine both situations are happening, but for me it's the $ negotiation. If I can get the deadline extended so that I don't commit and get zero bump, I'll do it. It can't hurt to ask.

lawschoolapplicant92

New

Post by lawschoolapplicant92 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:49 pm

TLSDookie wrote:
BillClinton Jr wrote:
I've lived here for years--Just finished an MA at Duke, starting at the law school in the fall, I'll be staying at TC at least through 1L maybe all three years. Great choice of where to live, you can PM me for more details if you'd like.
I'm living here too! Yaaaaay!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”