Duke Law Class of 2019 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)

When are you moving to Durham/Are you interested in a TLS meet-up before classes start?

Already here, baby
9%
May
2%
June
4%
July
4%
August
25%
Haven't figured it out yet
4%
Never. I'm not going to Duke, I just wanted to assert my right to vote
16%
Yes
27%
No
7%
Maybe
2%

Total votes: 55

IcarusOnWheels

New

Re: Duke Law Class of 2019

Post by IcarusOnWheels » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:22 pm

Just heard re negotiation this morning. Offer was increased by 15k.

RationalHeretic23

New

Post by RationalHeretic23 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:24 pm

IcarusOnWheels wrote:Just heard re negotiation this morning. Offer was increased by 15k.
Did you send them a new offer from another school? I want to negotiate but I don't have another financial aid offer, but I do have an admission from U Chicago with no financial aid. I'm wondering if this can be used to negotiate for more aid from Duke....

AnonymousPython

New

Post by AnonymousPython » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:15 pm

Just got a decent scholly bump, but probably too little too late.

Feel free to PM for details.

matterhorn

New

Post by matterhorn » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:25 pm

Also got a bump this afternoon, sent in a higher offer from Michigan if anyone was wondering.

Has anyone had success extending the deposit deadline? I emailed both the financial aid and admissions office but haven't heard back yet.

theconsigliere

Bronze

Post by theconsigliere » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:49 pm

matterhorn wrote:Also got a bump this afternoon, sent in a higher offer from Michigan if anyone was wondering.

Has anyone had success extending the deposit deadline? I emailed both the financial aid and admissions office but haven't heard back yet.
I heard back promptly when I sent a request

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

matterhorn

New

Post by matterhorn » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:54 pm

theconsigliere wrote:
matterhorn wrote:Also got a bump this afternoon, sent in a higher offer from Michigan if anyone was wondering.

May I ask which email address you sent the request to? And how long of an extension they gave you? Granted, I sent the email at 2:30 PM EST so they might not have gotten a chance to see it.

RationalHeretic23

New

Post by RationalHeretic23 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:06 pm

matterhorn wrote:
theconsigliere wrote:

May I ask which email address you sent the request to? And how long of an extension they gave you? Granted, I sent the email at 2:30 PM EST so they might not have gotten a chance to see it.
I sent it to admissions@law.duke.edu and they got back to me the same day. They extended the deadline a week.

matterhorn

New

Post by matterhorn » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:23 pm

RationalHeretic23 wrote:I sent it to admissions@law.duke.edu and they got back to me the same day. They extended the deadline a week.
Thanks for the response! I sent it to them this afternoon so hopefully I get a response tomorrow.

jg61

New

Post by jg61 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:14 am

Just curious, in a similar situation re/UofM - how long did it take them to get back to you? And did they match/exceed?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

burtsbeesfanatic

New

Post by burtsbeesfanatic » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:36 pm

They just bumped my scholarship a lot then granted me a one week extension. I'm totally lost at this point, I thought I was set on Columbia, but the higher scholarship is pretty significant. Guh, first world choices I guess.

RationalHeretic23

New

Post by RationalHeretic23 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:44 pm

burtsbeesfanatic wrote:They just bumped my scholarship a lot then granted me a one week extension. I'm totally lost at this point, I thought I was set on Columbia, but the higher scholarship is pretty significant. Guh, first world choices I guess.
Did you have a competing scholarship offer that you used to get your bump from Duke? I'm trying to decide if I can just use my acceptance to U Chicago to get a bump in money from Duke even though I haven't been offered money from Chicago.

a2s8h

New

Post by a2s8h » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:19 pm

Does anyone know if Duke will beat higher offers or if they only match?

burtsbeesfanatic

New

Post by burtsbeesfanatic » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:26 pm

RationalHeretic23 wrote:
burtsbeesfanatic wrote:They just bumped my scholarship a lot then granted me a one week extension. I'm totally lost at this point, I thought I was set on Columbia, but the higher scholarship is pretty significant. Guh, first world choices I guess.
Did you have a competing scholarship offer that you used to get your bump from Duke? I'm trying to decide if I can just use my acceptance to U Chicago to get a bump in money from Duke even though I haven't been offered money from Chicago.
I had a scholarship from NYU that was essentially the same amount as what Duke was offering. That (I imagine) is what led them to increase it so much.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CiscoDisco

New

Post by CiscoDisco » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:27 pm

Anyone between Duke, Columbia, and NYU?

Haven't heard back from NYU about money, Duke almost doubles Columbia.

burtsbeesfanatic

New

Post by burtsbeesfanatic » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:31 pm

CiscoDisco wrote:Anyone between Duke, Columbia, and NYU?

I'm between Duke and Columbia with Duke basically doubling Columbia's money. Guh, such a tough call, just going back and forth.

matterhorn

New

Post by matterhorn » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:31 pm

jg61 wrote:Just curious, in a similar situation re/UofM - how long did it take them to get back to you? And did they match/exceed?
Emailed Fin Aid April 6, sent a follow up email April 18 and heard back the same day. They matched.

madoodle16

New

Post by madoodle16 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:37 pm

Just got my revised offer and they matched the NYU offer for me.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Rh1no

New

Post by Rh1no » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:07 pm

I was – didn't like NYU when I visited (lack of campus, etc.) and Duke more than tripled the money I got from Columbia. I also visited Duke last weekend (was in Mexico for ASW) and it just felt like an awesome place to be. Hard to turn down a CLS offer but very happy to be headed to Duke in the fall.

Now trying to figure out where to live - toured all the popular apartments and they're all a ton nicer than the hellhole I currently live in as a college senior.

wilt

Silver

Post by wilt » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:16 pm

Duke denied my appeal request based on a lower T14 full tuition offer. The original amount was not enough to attend so I'll be withdrawing soon.

anonymous117

Bronze

Post by anonymous117 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:52 pm

burtsbeesfanatic wrote:

I'm between Duke and Columbia with Duke basically doubling Columbia's money. Guh, such a tough call, just going back and forth.
Also between Duke and Columbia. Ruled out NYU because of money. I'm super conflicted, and will probably hold out to the end.

CiscoDisco

New

Post by CiscoDisco » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:11 pm

Rh1no wrote:

I was – didn't like NYU when I visited (lack of campus, etc.) and Duke more than tripled the money I got from Columbia. I also visited Duke last weekend (was in Mexico for ASW) and it just felt like an awesome place to be. Hard to turn down a CLS offer but very happy to be headed to Duke in the fall.

Now trying to figure out where to live - toured all the popular apartments and they're all a ton nicer than the hellhole I currently live in as a college senior.
My SO is the one headed to law school. We're both students at Duke. If you have any questions about Durham let me know.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

wareagle11

New

Post by wareagle11 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:30 am

Duke just increased my scholarship offer by $30k after I sent them an email last week. I didn't leverage any other offers but I did mention how much I enjoyed their ASW.

Now I'm just torn between Duke and Chicago (with Duke offering substantially more).

pittsburghpirates

Silver

Post by pittsburghpirates » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:36 am

Also received a bump from Duke recently with a competing scholarship from another school. Asked for an extension on the deposit deadline as well, but no word on that yet

bczako

New

Post by bczako » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:39 am

Heard back with a significantly increased scholarship, just submitted my deposit! Excited to see all of you in the fall!

urbanist11

Silver

Post by urbanist11 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:30 am

Sad one to withdraw from... As the OP of the applicants thread Duke will always have a special place - loved the school, didn't love Durham though. Good luck you guys! I'm sure you'll have an amazing 3 years.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”