Georgetown Law Class of 2019

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)

Where did you end up?

Georgetown. DC is the center of everything in the country that matters, so of course I'm going to the best school in DC. Also, have you SEEN the student rec center?!
65%
UT. Texas is the center of everything in the country that matters, so of course I'm going to the best school in Texas.
3%
George Washington. Georgetown is great, but G-Dub is in Foggy Bottom and I'd like to eat at ShopHouse as often as humanly possible.
2%
Vanderbilt. Georgetown is too big, and I need to live in a city with actual barbecue.
3%
UCLA. I don't understand why people would voluntarily go to law school somewhere that has winter.
2%
Cornell. I want all of the prestige of Georgetown, but without all of that pesky cosmopolitan culture.
3%
Northwestern. I needed a school that was more business-minded, and also one that has buildings that don't remind me of the USSR.
3%
UVA. DC is great and all, but why live in DC when I can pay cost of living in Charlottesville for three years?
5%
Duke. Mike Krzyzewski. Jay Bilas. Sam Seaborn. Need I say more?
5%
Other. Congrats, tell us where you ended up!
10%

Total votes: 63

cdavis1024

New

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2019

Postby cdavis1024 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:10 am

Who all is at Open House? What'd you think of today?

Gray

Platinum

Postby Gray » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:16 am

BirdLawExpert

Gold

Postby BirdLawExpert » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:47 am

cdavis1024 wrote:Who all is at Open House? What'd you think of today?

I'm here, and I know there's a few others. I thought the first day was pretty great. They did a great job of selling Georgetown for me (I particularly enjoyed the marine biology metaphor) and the Vice Dean even came by our table at dinner and talked to a few of us for quite a while! Definitely a cool experience. Plus free beer at Kelly's wasn't too shabby.

How about you? What'd you think so far?

cdavis1024

New

Postby cdavis1024 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:00 am

BirdLawExpert wrote:
I'm here, and I know there's a few others. I thought the first day was pretty great. They did a great job of selling Georgetown for me (I particularly enjoyed the marine biology metaphor) and the Vice Dean even came by our table at dinner and talked to a few of us for quite a while! Definitely a cool experience. Plus free beer at Kelly's wasn't too shabby.

How about you? What'd you think so far?

I've liked the programming so far - I thought the panel was pretty useful, and I'm looking forward to the office hours this afternoon. I'm having a bit of anxiety (a lot of anxiety) about financing this endeavor and whether or not my ROI will be a positive one given the kind of law I probably want to do and the market, so I'm looking forward to getting to ask some of the more difficult questions to the career and fin aid offices.

Everyone I've met has been really nice, but I can't shake the imposter syndrome. It's obviously a personal issue and not one I hold GULC responsible for, but that + anxiety about debt is really getting in the way of me focusing on the things I like about DC and the program :shock:

TLSModBot

Diamond

Postby TLSModBot » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:27 am

I dream of a more realistic open house for you guys:

Address by Cornblatt: "You students are, by and large, interchangeable. You all look like literal dollar signs to me and all I hear is "ka-ching! ka-ching!" when you open your mouths. Now excuse me, I need to disappear from your lives so I can go work on the next crop."

Professors Panel: "I will never learn your names and every time you pipe up with some half-formed opinion my soul dies a little. Come to office hours so I can explain in painful detail what I told you in class and what was in the books, or I can just listen to you suck up to me because you think I have some kind of insight or influence in the professional world!"

Student Accounts: (Kicks you in the crotch. Rifles through your wallet and takes anything of value. Spits on your prone body)

Hoya Saxa little buddies!

slippin_jimmy

Gold

Postby slippin_jimmy » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:41 am

Capitol_Idea wrote:I dream of a more realistic open house for you guys:

Address by Cornblatt: "You students are, by and large, interchangeable. You all look like literal dollar signs to me and all I hear is "ka-ching! ka-ching!" when you open your mouths. Now excuse me, I need to disappear from your lives so I can go work on the next crop."

Professors Panel: "I will never learn your names and every time you pipe up with some half-formed opinion my soul dies a little. Come to office hours so I can explain in painful detail what I told you in class and what was in the books, or I can just listen to you suck up to me because you think I have some kind of insight or influence in the professional world!"

Student Accounts: (Kicks you in the crotch. Rifles through your wallet and takes anything of value. Spits on your prone body)

Hand

Gold

Postby Hand » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:10 pm

Lol

While these first two are spot on, I'd give student accounts a little more love after I managed to convince them to give me back what they charged me for student insurance without even making me pay a late fee despite me taking two months to produce all necessary paperwork (and me technically not meeting their criteria during the first couple of weeks of the semester)

Willie Beamen

Platinum

Postby Willie Beamen » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:22 am

I enjoyed both days, but I also didn't need too much convincing about the people or programs to begin with :D. As I left, it did feel like I was leaving a place that I could seriously say felt like home, just because of a few of the people I met and the energy they brought in pitching DC, the school, and their respective student orgs. Now it's just a matter of negotiating for $$ and finding the right living situation!

squirtlesquad14

Bronze

Postby squirtlesquad14 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:30 pm

Willie Beamen wrote:

I enjoyed both days, but I also didn't need too much convincing about the people or programs to begin with :D. As I left, it did feel like I was leaving a place that I could seriously say felt like home, just because of a few of the people I met and the energy they brought in pitching DC, the school, and their respective student orgs. Now it's just a matter of negotiating for $$ and finding the right living situation!

Same. Was really impressed with how friendly and helpful all of the students were who weren't even serving as ambassadors, in both the class I sat in on and chatting with folks at bar review.

BirdLawExpert

Gold

Postby BirdLawExpert » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:59 pm

squirtlesquad14 wrote:
Willie Beamen wrote:

Same. Was really impressed with how friendly and helpful all of the students were who weren't even serving as ambassadors, in both the class I sat in on and chatting with folks at bar review.

This was definitely a big thing for me. At a few others T14s I visited, a lot of the students were standoffish and curt with both me and their fellow students in class. Georgetown definitely seems like the number of gunners would be low, or at least avoidable given the school's size, and I think a lot of it has to do with the perspective afforded to the school by being down the street from the Capitol and SCOTUS; it's hard to treat law school like the most important thing in the world when it's not even the most important thing on the street.

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:05 pm

Hand wrote:

Lol

While these first two are spot on, I'd give student accounts a little more love after I managed to convince them to give me back what they charged me for student insurance without even making me pay a late fee despite me taking two months to produce all necessary paperwork (and me technically not meeting their criteria during the first couple of weeks of the semester)

lolol was sitting at that round table in the atrium with some prospective students waiting for my class to start and one classmate was giving a glowing review of how friendly and noncompetitive everyone is and another guy goes off on this 5 minute rant about how inept career services is it was hilarious

Hand

Gold

Postby Hand » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:07 pm

BirdLawExpert wrote:
squirtlesquad14 wrote:
Willie Beamen wrote:

This was definitely a big thing for me. At a few others T14s I visited, a lot of the students were standoffish and curt with both me and their fellow students in class. Georgetown definitely seems like the number of gunners would be low, or at least avoidable given the school's size, and I think a lot of it has to do with the perspective afforded to the school by being down the street from the Capitol and SCOTUS; it's hard to treat law school like the most important thing in the world when it's not even the most important thing on the street.

Y'all really lucked out by not accidentally trying to strike up a conversation with me! In all seriousness though, the atmosphere here is mostly very friendly and collegial.

squirtlesquad14

Bronze

Postby squirtlesquad14 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:11 pm

Hand wrote:Y'all really lucked out by not accidentally trying to strike up a conversation with me! In all seriousness though, the atmosphere here is mostly very friendly and collegial.

Missed the one student I was looking for! I couldn't find a single current student that would tell me anything they don't like about Georgetown. I did almost get a table shoved into me at bar review when a little scuffle broke out though.

BirdLawExpert

Gold

Postby BirdLawExpert » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:14 pm

squirtlesquad14 wrote:
Hand wrote:Y'all really lucked out by not accidentally trying to strike up a conversation with me! In all seriousness though, the atmosphere here is mostly very friendly and collegial.

Missed the one student I was looking for! I couldn't find a single current student that would tell me anything they don't like about Georgetown. I did almost get a table shoved into me at bar review when a little scuffle broke out though.

What? I missed a scuffle?

Sorry, squirtlebro, I would've had your back.

But seriously, there was a lot of sunshine pumping and very little legitimate criticism. The closest we got to that was at the Career Services open house thing one of the ladies flat out told a kid that the only surefire way to go into academia is to go to Yale.

squirtlesquad14

Bronze

Postby squirtlesquad14 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:19 pm

BirdLawExpert wrote:
squirtlesquad14 wrote:

But seriously, there was a lot of sunshine pumping and very little legitimate criticism. The closest we got to that was at the Career Services open house thing one of the ladies flat out told a kid that the only surefire way to go into academia is to go to Yale.

I had a professor tell that to one the people at my table at dinner too. Crushed the poor girl's dreams.

But yeah, two guys got into a fist fight in the room with the bar upstairs. One was trying to come in when the other was going out (it was packed like sardines) and they bumped into each other and went drunken-macho-man on each other. Got broken up pretty quickly, but not before a couple of the cocktail tables got knocked around.

BirdLawExpert

Gold

Postby BirdLawExpert » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:27 pm

squirtlesquad14 wrote:
BirdLawExpert wrote:
squirtlesquad14 wrote:

I had a professor tell that to one the people at my table at dinner too. Crushed the poor girl's dreams.

But yeah, two guys got into a fist fight in the room with the bar upstairs. One was trying to come in when the other was going out (it was packed like sardines) and they bumped into each other and went drunken-macho-man on each other. Got broken up pretty quickly, but not before a couple of the cocktail tables got knocked around.

People are idiots. What a dumb thing to fight over. :lol:

TLSModBot

Diamond

Postby TLSModBot » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:41 pm

BirdLawExpert wrote:But seriously, there was a lot of sunshine pumping and very little legitimate criticism.
What 'legitimate criticism' are you expecting though. The main important thing is job prospects and frankly that data is available. The professors are professors - some good, some less good. The students are students - some cool, some insufferably dumb, and some preening gunners. What else is there? The food? The secret cage fights bottom 1/3 1L's are forced into for the faculty's amusement?

BirdLawExpert

Gold

Postby BirdLawExpert » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:53 pm

Capitol_Idea wrote:
BirdLawExpert wrote:But seriously, there was a lot of sunshine pumping and very little legitimate criticism.
What 'legitimate criticism' are you expecting though. The main important thing is job prospects and frankly that data is available. The professors are professors - some good, some less good. The students are students - some cool, some insufferably dumb, and some preening gunners. What else is there? The food? The secret cage fights bottom 1/3 1L's are forced into for the faculty's amusement?

That's fair, I'm legitimately excited about Georgetown, the event was just involved a lot more salesmanship than I was expecting.

squirtlesquad14

Bronze

Postby squirtlesquad14 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:56 pm

BirdLawExpert wrote:
Capitol_Idea wrote:

That's fair, I'm legitimately excited about Georgetown, the event was just involved a lot more salesmanship than I was expecting.

It's the nature of recruiting...once we're accepted, it's their time to impress us. Free beer for two hours at Kelly's was certainly a nice touch.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Postby TLSModBot » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:58 pm

Yeah the administration is constantly "We're the best! We're fucking amazing! Georgetown will make your dick bigger and your teeth whiter!"

But I think every school does this so w/e

squirtlesquad14

Bronze

Postby squirtlesquad14 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:02 am

Capitol_Idea wrote:Yeah the administration is constantly "We're the best! We're fucking amazing! Georgetown will make your dick bigger and your teeth whiter!"

Not sure every school is quite as good at it...After all, there is only one Andy. 8)

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:03 am

Capitol_Idea wrote:

i mean there's a good segment of the population of even incoming students let alone admitted students that aren't aware of the job prospects tho

OLitch

Bronze

Postby OLitch » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:34 am

squirtlesquad14 wrote:
Capitol_Idea wrote:Yeah the administration is constantly "We're the best! We're fucking amazing! Georgetown will make your dick bigger and your teeth whiter!"

Not sure every school is quite as good at it...After all, there is only one Andy. 8)

I was not impressed with Dean Cornblatt. He diminished the personalization of the videos by complaining about how many names he had to say. Now you know that if you have a common name, your video was to you and several others.

squirtlesquad14

Bronze

Postby squirtlesquad14 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:37 am

OLitch wrote:
squirtlesquad14 wrote:

I was not impressed with Dean Cornblatt. He diminished the personalization of the videos by complaining about how many names he had to say. Now you know that if you have a common name, your video was to you and several others.

That was an easy presumption from the get-go when you receive a link to an unlisted video with multiple views that aren't you. But even so, he still took like 2 hours out of a day to make 600+ 10 second videos for every first name of an applicant, on top of a personalized note on the acceptance letter...I haven't gotten anywhere near that level of personal touch from any other Dean of Admissions.

Tycho

Bronze

Postby Tycho » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:33 pm

squirtlesquad14 wrote:
OLitch wrote:
squirtlesquad14 wrote:

That was an easy presumption from the get-go when you receive a link to an unlisted video with multiple views that aren't you. But even so, he still took like 2 hours out of a day to make 600+ 10 second videos for every first name of an applicant, on top of a personalized note on the acceptance letter...I haven't gotten anywhere near that level of personal touch from any other Dean of Admissions.

+1. Considering the enormous volume of apps at G'town, the personalized note was a nice touch.

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum?