"Easy" Classes? Will Employers care?

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

Would employers care if I get a great GPA by taking "easy" classes?

Yes
15%
No
85%

Total votes: 13

miss_scalia

"Easy" Classes? Will Employers care?

Postby miss_scalia » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:39 pm

Will an employer care if I get all As 2L and 3L year if I took supposedly "easy" classes like specialty courses and courses outside the law school? Assume that I am still taking 1 or 2 bar courses a semester. Seeing if a huge grade increase would look suspicious this way.

Thanks!

TheBest123

Re: "Easy" Classes? Will Employers care?

Postby TheBest123 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:17 pm

No. Get the highest GPA you can get as long as the classes are law related.

pancakes3

Postby pancakes3 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:48 pm

Clinics are good ways to cop A's if you don't mind the work.

Mr. Archer

Postby Mr. Archer » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:00 pm

No. Some of the "bar courses" are "specialty courses," depending on how you're defining that. I would expect your school doesn't allow you to take that many classes outside the law school. If you take a business school course or something like public health, that would look good to certain employers in the same way that some employers would prefer you to have taken certain law school classes (e.g., employment defense firm might prefer someone who took employment discrimination). Just get good grades, because that's what's important.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:16 pm

No one will care. Very few employers will even read your transcript. Practicing attorneys correctly realize that there is almost no correlation between having taken a class in a area and being good at actually practicing law in that area.

miss_scalia

Postby miss_scalia » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:04 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:No one will care. Very few employers will even read your transcript. Practicing attorneys correctly realize that there is almost no correlation between having taken a class in a area and being good at actually practicing law in that area.

This. thank you. My concern is that I am going to a corp. practice group next summer, but only 1 of my courses each semester is actually business related. The rest are like "election law" etc.

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”