2Little 2Late

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

How much are you regretting your extracurricular choices?

Not at all, I can manage my time.
5%
I get busy sometimes, but it's not the worst.
16%
Every couple of weeks I briefly lose my sanity.
25%
I long for the sweet release of death.
32%
I am smart and didn't sign up for unnecessary BS
23%

Total votes: 88

MurdockLLP

Re: What the 1L am I doing?

Postby MurdockLLP » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:48 am

Surprisingly, Property has been the most interesting reads (so far), followed by Crim, followed by Civ Pro. I am not looking forward to competing with kids who decided to (a) memorize what each rule by October is & (b) what page each subsection can be found on.

Companion Cube

Postby Companion Cube » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:38 am

MurdockLLP wrote: I am not looking forward to competing with kids who decided to (a) memorize what each rule by October is & (b) what page each subsection can be found on.

This will not help nearly as much as you think it will on the exam.

NoBladesNoBows

Postby NoBladesNoBows » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:49 pm

Last edited by NoBladesNoBows on Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hikikomorist

Postby Hikikomorist » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:02 pm

NoBladesNoBows wrote:I feel like I really lucked out in terms of gunners as there's really only two in my class (so far at least) that are even close to fitting the bill, and neither of them are that bad. It's also kind of sad because I think one of them already figured out that people were laughing/pissed off at him and was like asking people if he was annoying lol.

But maybe there are more and they're just biding their time to find the perfect moment to strike...

I don't think I've noticed any gunners in my classes. I hope that doesn't mean I'm one.

Leonardo DiCaprio

Postby Leonardo DiCaprio » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:11 pm

my school is kind of cliquey. LS is basically high school.

BNA

Postby BNA » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:14 pm

I think I'm a gunner and I can't help it. It's not that I'm dying to be heard. I just hate the SILENCE

Kinky John

Postby Kinky John » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:40 pm

Hand wrote:It may be a little premature since we just got a new thread name, but can the next one be "Your mother sucks cocks in 1L"?

I like it, it's subtle.

I was thinking more like "You can't spell lunatic without 1L"

buckiguy_sucks

Post removed.

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:47 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by buckiguy_sucks on Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:42 pm

Kinky John wrote:
Hand wrote:It may be a little premature since we just got a new thread name, but can the next one be "Your mother sucks cocks in 1L"?

I like it, it's subtle.

I was thinking more like "You can't spell lunatic without 1L"

These are both amazing.

Minnietron

Postby Minnietron » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:34 pm

Lurker that should be reading here. First day of Civ Pro and the professor had to instruct a gunner to let him finish speaking. Cutting off the professor = Gunning Hard!

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:35 pm

Minnietron wrote:Lurker that should be reading here. First day of Civ Pro and the professor had to instruct a gunner to let him finish speaking. Cutting off the professor = Gunning Hard!

Wait until you witness someone adamantly arguing with a professor.

Gray

Postby Gray » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:36 pm

Minnietron wrote:Lurker that should be reading here. First day of Civ Pro and the professor had to instruct a gunner to let him finish speaking. Cutting off the professor = Gunning Hard!

are you in my section at Georgetown because that absolutely happened to us.

ETA ChuckBass if anyone is going to argue with the prof eventually, it's that guy. He's like the most stereotypical aspie gunner type.

Minnietron

Postby Minnietron » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:38 pm

chuckbass wrote:

Is it acceptable to laugh when this happens?

Minnietron

Postby Minnietron » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:42 pm

Gray wrote:

are you in my section at Georgetown because that absolutely happened to us.

ETA ChuckBass if anyone is going to argue with the prof eventually, it's that guy. He's like the most stereotypical aspie gunner type.

If your section is between 1 and 3, then yes. And agreed on the likelihood of him going toe to toe with a professor. I hope I get to witness the exchange!

AinsleyKs

Postby AinsleyKs » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:31 am

chuckbass wrote:

Another lurker here. There's a girl in my crim class who loves to argue with my professor about the #BlackLivesMatter movement. The prof has a PhD in African American studies. smh.

Gray

Postby Gray » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:14 pm

Minnietron wrote:
If your section is between 1 and 3, then yes. And agreed on the likelihood of him going toe to toe with a professor. I hope I get to witness the exchange!

Today the prof stopped him before he could start listing answers to the question... I like that the prof has no time for BS.

Leonardo DiCaprio

Postby Leonardo DiCaprio » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:03 pm

are you guys planning on joining lots of student orgs/clubs

buckiguy_sucks

Post removed.

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:05 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by buckiguy_sucks on Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

andthenIwaslike

Postby andthenIwaslike » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:29 pm

Felt like I was drowning in CivPro, so I went through all my notes, organized them into a flowchart so I wouldn't miss anything, then went to office hours to make sure I was on the right track.

Instead of answering my questions, my professor says, "Don't think of civpro as a flowchart. Flowcharts are confusing."

Me: "Oh, uh, okay. How should I think of it?"

"As a series of statutes."

:roll:

Companion Cube

Postby Companion Cube » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:59 pm

Don't worry about the overt gunners. 9 times out of 10 they don't do as well because they can't get past the smell of their own farts to realize that they might actually be wrong

Companion Cube

Postby Companion Cube » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:02 pm

andthenIwaslike wrote:Felt like I was drowning in CivPro, so I went through all my notes, organized them into a flowchart so I wouldn't miss anything, then went to office hours to make sure I was on the right track.

Instead of answering my questions, my professor says, "Don't think of civpro as a flowchart. Flowcharts are confusing."

He's not wrong though. The FRCP is actually pretty straightforward. I found Civpro to be the class in which it was most helpful just to memorize as much as possible.

On the other hand, I flow-charted for torts and K and found it very helpful for conceptualizing the material.
Last edited by Companion Cube on Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Minnietron

Postby Minnietron » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:05 pm

AinsleyKs wrote:Another lurker here. There's a girl in my crim class who loves to argue with my professor about the #BlackLivesMatter movement. The prof has a PhD in African American studies. smh.

Oh no! Please tell me she used the phrase "All lives matter" at some point in the argument.

Gray wrote:Today the prof stopped him before he could start listing answers to the question... I like that the prof has no time for BS.

Agreed. His pragmatism seems fitting for Civ Pro. I quietly hoped that senor gun would try to get another point in...
Last edited by Minnietron on Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andthenIwaslike

Postby andthenIwaslike » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:05 pm

Companion Cube wrote:
andthenIwaslike wrote:Felt like I was drowning in CivPro, so I went through all my notes, organized them into a flowchart so I wouldn't miss anything, then went to office hours to make sure I was on the right track.

He's not wrong though. The FRCP is actually pretty straightforward. I found Civpro to be the class in which it was most helpful just to memorize as much as possible.

Right, but, like, obviously it's just a series of statutes. If I wasn't having any trouble understanding or applying the statutes as written down in the book, I wouldn't be playing around with flowcharts or going to office hours.

Companion Cube

Postby Companion Cube » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:09 pm

andthenIwaslike wrote:
Companion Cube wrote:

Right, but, like, obviously it's just a series of statutes. If I wasn't having any trouble understanding or applying the statutes as written down in the book, I wouldn't be playing around with flowcharts or going to office hours.

I totally get where you're coming from. Remember that it's too early to panic, and everyone is in the same boat as you right now (some are just better at hiding it). It WILL click at some point. I promise. If you're concerned enough to go talk to a professor then likely you care enough about how you do that things are bound to work out. Just keep your head up. Getting the early stuff down sucks. It's hard because every class is like a new language. But by the end the early concepts will have been discussed so many times that you will have a better grasp on them than you ever thought. I remember how long it took me to understand what consideration was but in hindsight it's a ridiculously simple concept.

Gray

Postby Gray » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:11 pm

Minnietron wrote:Agreed. His pragmatism seems fitting for Civ Pro. I quietly hoped that senor gun would try to get another point in...

On the flip side our LRW prof stopped when he put his hand up and let him answer what was clearly a rhetorical question...

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”