2Little 2Late

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

How much are you regretting your extracurricular choices?

Not at all, I can manage my time.
4%
I get busy sometimes, but it's not the worst.
16%
Every couple of weeks I briefly lose my sanity.
25%
I long for the sweet release of death.
31%
I am smart and didn't sign up for unnecessary BS
24%

Total votes: 89

Leonardo DiCaprio

Re: 1L: Help! I'm stuck in a 1L-evator (title credit to gray)

Postby Leonardo DiCaprio » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:30 pm

it's just a TTT policy

Hikikomorist

Postby Hikikomorist » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:39 pm

Leonardo DiCaprio wrote:it's just a TTT policy

Agreed.

[s][/s]

Postby 03282016 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:41 pm

Last edited by 03282016 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:45 pm

Yeah that actually is awful. My property prof had a no laptop policy... FOR OUR 8AM CLASS

Big Red

Postby Big Red » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:20 pm

chuckbass wrote:Yeah that actually is awful. My property prof had a no laptop policy... FOR OUR 8AM CLASS

wait how does 8am make it worse? my biggest challenge in my 8 am is spacing out my coffee sips so it lasts the class

[s][/s]

Postby 03282016 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:21 pm

Last edited by 03282016 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Leonardo DiCaprio

Postby Leonardo DiCaprio » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:33 pm

reading tls has made me so cynical of LS. i wish i had the unbridled enthusiasm for THE LAW that some of my classmates have. when i sit in class i don't feel like the profs are dropping GEMS OF SCHOLARSHIP. i just feel like it's a big hazing ritual for which i paid an ungodly amount of money for.

as much as i love and thank TLS for helping me out in the lsat prep and application stage of my LIFE IN THE LAW, it definitely has made me cynical af.

everton125

Postby everton125 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:40 pm

Leonardo DiCaprio wrote:reading tls has made me so cynical of LS. i wish i had the unbridled enthusiasm for THE LAW that some of my classmates have. when i sit in class i don't feel like the profs are dropping GEMS OF SCHOLARSHIP. i just feel like it's a big hazing ritual for which i paid an ungodly amount of money for.

as much as i love and thank TLS for helping me out in the lsat prep and application stage of my LIFE IN THE LAW, it definitely has made me cynical af.

I have read a lot of TLS, and I am not as "cynical as fuck" about law school and the law. I would add that I have also worked for two years at a biglaw firm in NYC. The cynicism is on you, man. Figure out a way past it.

LoganCouture

Postby LoganCouture » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:36 am

I have a prof that doesn't allow laptops but he also doesn't cold call so it's all good in my book.

blacksand

Postby blacksand » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:07 am

everton125 wrote:
Leonardo DiCaprio wrote:reading tls has made me so cynical of LS. i wish i had the unbridled enthusiasm for THE LAW that some of my classmates have. when i sit in class i don't feel like the profs are dropping GEMS OF SCHOLARSHIP. i just feel like it's a big hazing ritual for which i paid an ungodly amount of money for.

I have read a lot of TLS, and I am not as "cynical as fuck" about law school and the law. I would add that I have also worked for two years at a biglaw firm in NYC. The cynicism is on you, man. Figure out a way past it.

Can an upperclassman advise on this? It would be really helpful to get some comments. Much appreciated in advance.

WokeUpInACar

Postby WokeUpInACar » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:14 am

blacksand wrote:
everton125 wrote:

Can an upperclassman advise on this? It would be really helpful to get some comments. Much appreciated in advance.

Advise on what exactly? How to be less cynical? I don't think you'll find many upperclassmen who are willing to cape for the academic aspects of 1L year.

Hand

Postby Hand » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:27 am

Highlight of my first two days was a guy in front of me who had his laptop open but was taking notes by hand and who was furiously transcribing stuff from the wikipedia entry on civpro that he had pulled up.

In other news, I spotted scotti/chuckbass in the hallway yesterday.

AquafiNa

Postby AquafiNa » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:19 am

I just got an email about a 1L pro bono volunteer opportunity to work in an area of law that seems interesting. The commitment is ~3 hours a week but I am hesitant to apply because of how important 1st semester grades are. Is this something I should apply to or is it going to end up being too much to take on?

pancakes3

Postby pancakes3 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:35 am

AquafiNa wrote:I just got an email about a 1L pro bono volunteer opportunity to work in an area of law that seems interesting. The commitment is ~3 hours a week but I am hesitant to apply because of how important 1st semester grades are. Is this something I should apply to or is it going to end up being too much to take on?

3 hrs a week is a ridiculously high level of commitment for pro bono. There are 4-5 hrs/month ones that if you keep up with through the school year, you'll still have 30-40 hrs by the end of your first year.

PourMeTea

Postby PourMeTea » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:28 am

Hand wrote:Highlight of my first two days was a guy in front of me who had his laptop open but was taking notes by hand and who was furiously transcribing stuff from the wikipedia entry on civpro that he had pulled up.

chuckbass wrote:

buckiguy_sucks

Post removed.

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:38 am

Post removed.
Last edited by buckiguy_sucks on Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:03 am

blacksand wrote:
everton125 wrote:

Well, profs aren't dropping GEMS OF SCHOLARSHIP, they're just trying to get you to understand how to read cases, think about the basic concerns behind legal rulings, and learn how to apply law to facts. Law school isn't really an intellectual exercise - for that you need to enter a PhD program. The JD is a professional degree, and you're learning the stuff you need to know to get licensed so you can get the kind of job you want. I know the whole thing about "law school doesn't teach you how to practice," and it's true, but I would say the skills you get 1L are actually important, even if you don't end up ever looking at contracts or crim or torts again after that year. "Thinking like a lawyer" is a total cliche, but it's still something you need to learn to do, and 1L does teach the basics of it. (Practice teaches more.)

The breathless devotees will probably calm down - it's still super early in the year and for a lot of people law school is this thing they've been striving for for forever, and they're excited just to be there. And there are plenty of people who hate law school but love practice (and vice versa). The thing is, if you want to be a lawyer, you have to do the three years, so there's no point in resenting it, and instead try turning it toward what you want whenever possible (harder 1L when your curriculum is set than in later years). You may also find that as you go through school you don't actually want to be a lawyer, and that's fine too.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:58 am

PourMeTea wrote:
Hand wrote:Highlight of my first two days was a guy in front of me who had his laptop open but was taking notes by hand and who was furiously transcribing stuff from the wikipedia entry on civpro that he had pulled up.

chuckbass wrote:

Hey why wasn't I the highlight? :|

Hand

Postby Hand » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:58 pm

chuckbass wrote:
PourMeTea wrote:

chuckbass wrote:

Hey, you get an honorable mention. It's hard to beat somebody transcribing wikipedia in class, if you ask me.

Today's highlight is a FB friend request from PMT. Does this mean we are going to be besties??

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:40 pm

Hand wrote:
chuckbass wrote:
PourMeTea wrote:

chuckbass wrote:

Hey, you get an honorable mention. It's hard to beat somebody transcribing wikipedia in class, if you ask me.

Today's highlight is a FB friend request from PMT. Does this mean we are going to be besties??

Ahem.

Leonardo DiCaprio

Postby Leonardo DiCaprio » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:44 pm

do gunners get their comeuppance or do they destroy the curve and gun even harder next semester

Big Red

Postby Big Red » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:35 pm

Leonardo DiCaprio wrote:do gunners get their comeuppance or do they destroy the curve and gun even harder next semester

it's really pretty staggering how quickly they ID themselves. I remember thinking I knew what gunners were from UG but LOL at that notion. Something about constantly raising your hand in a SIXTY person lecture is beyond my grasp of understanding

Leonardo DiCaprio

Postby Leonardo DiCaprio » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:39 pm

Big Red wrote:
Leonardo DiCaprio wrote:do gunners get their comeuppance or do they destroy the curve and gun even harder next semester

it's really pretty staggering how quickly they ID themselves. I remember thinking I knew what gunners were from UG but LOL at that notion. Something about constantly raising your hand in a SIXTY person lecture is beyond my grasp of understanding

the most striking feature of a gunner is how fucking tonedeaf he/she is

Nathanael

Postby Nathanael » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:31 pm

CivPro is ruining my life

Leonardo DiCaprio

Postby Leonardo DiCaprio » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:51 pm

Nathanael wrote:CivPro is ruining my life

why bro?

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”