2Little 2Late

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

How successful have you been at forcing yourself to care about grades?

lol
13%
... I mean I still need to graduate... I guess...
26%
I want to maintain some semblance of dignity
40%
I am a clerkship gunner and/or incorrigible perfectionist
21%

Total votes: 47

xylocarp

Re: 1L: Help! I'm stuck in a 1L-evator (title credit to gray)

Postby xylocarp » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:38 am

Brut wrote:you'll probably get a little busy when you get your first substantive lrw assignment (assuming your lrw is graded)
it's usually a memo. will prob come in a few weeks, maybe a month
but sept and oct should be fairly tame in terms of workload. nov is when a lot of people start ramping up, i.e. they start outlining, taking practice exams, etc

Read "nov" as "now" at first and was fairly alarmed

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:06 am

Glad to know it gets easier. I wanted to knock out some readings over the weekend before classes start to get ahead like a good little gunner, and now I realize that I was simply treading water. If I didn't do any work over the weekend I'd be hopelessly behind that's how slow and dumb I am.

star fox

Postby star fox » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:12 am

Definitely buy used. Sometimes you even get lucky and you get a good highlighter. But be prepared obviously got every word being highlighted. But you'll manage.

RCSOB657

Postby RCSOB657 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:04 pm

Must be my week, cold called in Torts too.

terrier27

Postby terrier27 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:04 pm

Gray wrote:
DCfilterDC wrote:Did you guys all buy new books? I've just bought used and so far haven't minded it, but wondering if that'll be the case later in the semester.

Holy shit no - I've been able to find almost everything for less than 50% of the USED bookstore price on Amazon. I got my Contracts book (the right edition and everything) for $30 and it's barely even underlined. I think I spent ~$350 total on all my books.

Where did you find them used if you didn't get them from amazon?

Also has anyone considered renting and do you think it's more annoying when you're on a quarter system?

LoganCouture

Postby LoganCouture » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:09 pm

terrier27 wrote:
Gray wrote:
DCfilterDC wrote:Did you guys all buy new books? I've just bought used and so far haven't minded it, but wondering if that'll be the case later in the semester.

Holy shit no - I've been able to find almost everything for less than 50% of the USED bookstore price on Amazon. I got my Contracts book (the right edition and everything) for $30 and it's barely even underlined. I think I spent ~$350 total on all my books.

Also has anyone considered renting and do you think it's more annoying when you're on a quarter system?

I rented in undergrad on the quarter system and it was super great! I didn't write or highlight in books though so it didn't cramp my study style.

Gray

Postby Gray » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:12 pm

terrier27 wrote:
Gray wrote:

Oh sorry if that wasn't clear - the price of a used book on Amazon is a lot less than buying the same book used from our bookstore.

terrier27

Postby terrier27 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:17 pm

Gray wrote:
terrier27 wrote:
Gray wrote:

Oh sorry if that wasn't clear - the price of a used book on Amazon is a lot less than buying the same book used from our bookstore.

Thank you LC! That's good to know since I really think that'll be the cheapest route.

Oh I just reread it Gray. RC fail but thank you for clarifying

Hikikomorist

Postby Hikikomorist » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:01 pm

terrier27 wrote:
Gray wrote:

I rented some from Chegg. Time will tell if that was actually a good choice.

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:07 pm

terrier27 wrote:
Gray wrote:
terrier27 wrote:
Gray wrote:

Thank you LC! That's good to know since I really think that'll be the cheapest route.

Oh I just reread it Gray. RC fail but thank you for clarifying

No, it was a misplaced modifier, gray just sucks. Good thing nobody pays her to write or anything

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:10 pm

***paid

tortsandtiaras

Postby tortsandtiaras » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:08 pm

dat pennoyer case doe...

RCSOB657

Postby RCSOB657 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:21 pm

Taking odds on me getting cold called for a third class in as many days.

Gray

Postby Gray » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:53 pm

xylocarp wrote:***paid

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Big Red

Postby Big Red » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:00 pm

RCSOB657 wrote:Taking odds on me getting cold called for a third class in as many days.

I'll take the under

RCSOB657

Postby RCSOB657 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:25 pm

My record is not broken. 3 days, 3 different classes, 3 cold calls.

I will grant today was not a case but to answer definitions.

Is it weird I'm getting property, contracts, and torts; but struggling with the early civpro cases?

terrier27

Postby terrier27 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:16 pm

Last edited by terrier27 on Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:32 pm

Another 2L here. Civ Pro was the hardest class for me to grasp from the readings/class, but ended up being one of my favorites once things came together at the end. Fwiw Barbri has some amazing lectures by Freer online that were very helpful for me for that class. 1L is a grind but it's really not too bad until you're ramping up for exams, which should probably be right after Halloween, and of course when you have memos/briefs due. Try not to stress out too much if you're not understanding things or things aren't really coming together for the next couple months, things do all come together right at the end and you will be fine.

georgej

Postby georgej » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:49 pm

Also a 2L and I will echo my boy chuckbass with whom I went to school 1L year. I think the two of us couldn't have had more opposite approaches to law school, yet we are now both in very happy places. The point is that you should not worry about not getting something until at least the first 8 weeks are under your belt. Just do the readings, check out old outlines from upperclassmen who took your professors, and if you are lost about something, talk it out with friends and/or hit the supps. Good luck to you all.

Postby 03152016 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:55 pm

i will add that freer also has gr9 book called 'civil procedure' and it gets the brut stamp of approval :idea: :idea:

tealeaves12

Postby tealeaves12 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:14 pm

Post deleted
Last edited by tealeaves12 on Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

haus

Postby haus » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:52 pm

tealeaves12 wrote:Thanks brut george and chuckbass for helpin out on this thread. Midway through my first week of 1l and I've been ok the amount of reading BUT frustrated with how long it's taking me to actually understand everything. Feel massively unproductive. One of my professors requires us to bring briefs in to each class and the The others don't but do some pretty intense case-long cold calls so feel like have to prepare hard all the same. I have a feeling this is normal at this stage but would appreciate any tips and insights as to what to expect the learning curve to be like. Wasting this much time seems unsustainable already lol.

Thanks in advance

I do not think that this is unusual at all.

Keep working through the material, and it will start coming together. For me, the first 3-4 weeks felt like I was spinning my wheels, by the midpoint of the semester, I started to feel better about my classes (other than LR, which just felt link a big time suck).

Good Luck.

LoganCouture

Postby LoganCouture » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:50 pm

Orientation is a lot of socializing!! Introvert LC is tired. Happy to meet people though ofc.
Last edited by LoganCouture on Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DJM

Postby DJM » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:01 pm

Funny story about the title through....

Today someone at my school told me that they got STUCK IN AN ELEVATOR during admitted student day over summer with like 8 other people.

Gray

Postby Gray » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:21 pm

lc39 wrote:Orientation is a lot of socializing!! Introvert LC is tired. Happy to meet people though ofc. Hello those of you I discussed TLS with at lunch.

My only friends so far are TLS shitposters. I'm so glad we all get along IRL.

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”