2Little 2Late

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

How successful have you been at forcing yourself to care about grades?

lol
2
5%
... I mean I still need to graduate... I guess...
10
26%
I want to maintain some semblance of dignity
17
45%
I am a clerkship gunner and/or incorrigible perfectionist
9
24%
 
Total votes: 38

User avatar
LoganCouture
Posts: 1407
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:48 pm

Re: 1L: Help! I'm stuck in a 1L-evator (title credit to gray)

Postby LoganCouture » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:49 am

Hello hello...mostly been avoiding TLS all summer but coming up on orientation and getting nervous/excited!

TL;DR for the first 28 pages of this thread?

User avatar
Gray
Posts: 5991
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:02 pm

Re: 1L: Help! I'm stuck in a 1L-evator (title credit to gray)

Postby Gray » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:52 am

lc39 wrote:Hello hello...mostly been avoiding TLS all summer but coming up on orientation and getting nervous/excited!

TL;DR for the first 28 pages of this thread?

Bored adults being weird.

User avatar
OhBoyOhBortles
Posts: 2257
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:01 am

Re: 1L: Help! I'm stuck in a 1L-evator (title credit to gray)

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:55 pm

lc39 wrote:Hello hello...mostly been avoiding TLS all summer but coming up on orientation and getting nervous/excited!

TL;DR for the first 28 pages of this thread?


No one likes working.

User avatar
xylocarp
Posts: 4740
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:16 am

Re: 1L: Help! I'm stuck in a 1L-evator (title credit to gray)

Postby xylocarp » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:30 pm

lc39 wrote:Hello hello...mostly been avoiding TLS all summer but coming up on orientation and getting nervous/excited!

TL;DR for the first 28 pages of this thread?

You should have already read all of your casebooks and outlined them by the time you show up for orientation. If you haven't done this, you will probably fail law school.

User avatar
LoganCouture
Posts: 1407
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:48 pm

Re: 1L: Help! I'm stuck in a 1L-evator (title credit to gray)

Postby LoganCouture » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:49 pm

xylocarp wrote:You should have already read all of your casebooks and outlined them by the time you show up for orientation. If you haven't done this, you will probably fail law school.


Teach me your gunner ways.

Also...books are so expensive :( LOL @ finaid budgeting an estimated $1470 for a year's worth of all new books. First quarter alone would cost $1100 if I bought new. Of course I won't buy new but I'm still looking at 500+ when my loan money doesn't distribute until a month into the quarter...

*cries into my empty wallet*
Last edited by LoganCouture on Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
xylocarp
Posts: 4740
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:16 am

Re: 1L: Help! I'm stuck in a 1L-evator (title credit to gray)

Postby xylocarp » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:57 pm

lc39 wrote:
xylocarp wrote:You should have already read all of your casebooks and outlined them by the time you show up for orientation. If you haven't done this, you will probably fail law school.


Teach me your gunner ways.

Also...books are so expensive :( LOL @ Stanford budgeting an estimated $1470 for a year's worth of all new books. First quarter alone would cost $1100 if I bought new. Of course I won't buy new but I'm still looking at 500+ when my loan money doesn't distribute until a month into the quarter...

*cries into my empty wallet*

I mean, I was just TL;DRing. I've only read 3/4 of my casebooks.

And yeah, books are ridiculous. I'm just ignoring the fact that that cost exists. Yay credit cards.

User avatar
LoganCouture
Posts: 1407
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:48 pm

Re: 1L: Help! I'm stuck in a 1L-evator (title credit to gray)

Postby LoganCouture » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:05 pm

xylocarp wrote:I mean, I was just TL;DRing. I've only read 3/4 of my casebooks.

And yeah, books are ridiculous. I'm just ignoring the fact that that cost exists. Yay credit cards.


True, I am stacking those rewards points.

User avatar
RCSOB657
Posts: 2276
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:50 am

Re: 1L: Help! I'm stuck in a 1L-evator (title credit to gray)

Postby RCSOB657 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:35 pm

I was cold called first day in Property and got to spend the entire class on Q/A, yay...

DJM
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:39 pm

Re: 1L: Help! I'm stuck in a 1L-evator (title credit to gray)

Postby DJM » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:46 pm

Currently reading Pennoyer v. Neff.......

User avatar
Kinky John
Posts: 1106
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:52 am

Re: 1L: Help! I'm stuck in a 1L-evator (title credit to gray)

Postby Kinky John » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:53 pm

Can we get some rules up in this bitch

like why do we all need to know you're reading some case

User avatar
RCSOB657
Posts: 2276
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:50 am

Re: 1L: Help! I'm stuck in a 1L-evator (title credit to gray)

Postby RCSOB657 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:54 pm

DJM wrote:Currently reading Pennoyer v. Neff.......


Don't fret the last 1/2 to 3/4 of the case, it's primarily reasoning and lamentation of the consequences of the holding.

DJM
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:39 pm

Re: 1L: Help! I'm stuck in a 1L-evator (title credit to gray)

Postby DJM » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:20 pm

RCSOB657 wrote:
DJM wrote:Currently reading Pennoyer v. Neff.......


Don't fret the last 1/2 to 3/4 of the case, it's primarily reasoning and lamentation of the consequences of the holding.


Yah, just started skimming half way through. Feel sorry for whoever gets this cold call tomorrow

DJM
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:39 pm

Re: 1L: Help! I'm stuck in a 1L-evator (title credit to gray)

Postby DJM » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:21 pm

Kinky John wrote:Can we get some rules up in this bitch

like why do we all need to know you're reading some case


:roll:

User avatar
Kinky John
Posts: 1106
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:52 am

Re: 1L: Help! I'm stuck in a 1L-evator (title credit to gray)

Postby Kinky John » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:34 pm

DJM wrote:
Kinky John wrote:Can we get some rules up in this bitch

like why do we all need to know you're reading some case


:roll:


Really, you're the one rolling your eyes at me?

DJM
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:39 pm

Re: 1L: Help! I'm stuck in a 1L-evator (title credit to gray)

Postby DJM » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:57 pm

Kinky John wrote:
DJM wrote:
Kinky John wrote:Can we get some rules up in this bitch

like why do we all need to know you're reading some case


:roll:


Really, you're the one rolling your eyes at me?



yes.

User avatar
DCfilterDC
Posts: 2665
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:55 pm

Re: 1L: Help! I'm stuck in a 1L-evator (title credit to gray)

Postby DCfilterDC » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:07 pm

Did you guys all buy new books? I've just bought used and so far haven't minded it, but wondering if that'll be the case later in the semester.

User avatar
Gray
Posts: 5991
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:02 pm

Re: 1L: Help! I'm stuck in a 1L-evator (title credit to gray)

Postby Gray » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:20 pm

DCfilterDC wrote:Did you guys all buy new books? I've just bought used and so far haven't minded it, but wondering if that'll be the case later in the semester.

Holy shit no - I've been able to find almost everything for less than 50% of the USED bookstore price on Amazon. I got my Contracts book (the right edition and everything) for $30 and it's barely even underlined. I think I spent ~$350 total on all my books.

User avatar
Hikikomorist
Posts: 3109
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:05 pm

Re: 1L: Help! I'm stuck in a 1L-evator (title credit to gray)

Postby Hikikomorist » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:27 pm

Gray wrote:
DCfilterDC wrote:Did you guys all buy new books? I've just bought used and so far haven't minded it, but wondering if that'll be the case later in the semester.

Holy shit no - I've been able to find almost everything for less than 50% of the USED bookstore price on Amazon. I got my Contracts book (the right edition and everything) for $30 and it's barely even underlined. I think I spent ~$350 total on all my books.

That's also roughly the total cost I've incurred.

DJM
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:39 pm

Re: 1L: Help! I'm stuck in a 1L-evator (title credit to gray)

Postby DJM » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:29 pm

Hikkomorist wrote:
Gray wrote:
DCfilterDC wrote:Did you guys all buy new books? I've just bought used and so far haven't minded it, but wondering if that'll be the case later in the semester.

Holy shit no - I've been able to find almost everything for less than 50% of the USED bookstore price on Amazon. I got my Contracts book (the right edition and everything) for $30 and it's barely even underlined. I think I spent ~$350 total on all my books.

That's also roughly the total cost I've incurred.


I bought mostly new, now I regret it seeing the condition of most of the 'used' books others have

ETA: around 600$ total for my new books

User avatar
hairbear7
Posts: 517
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:28 pm

Re: 1L: Help! I'm stuck in a 1L-evator (title credit to gray)

Postby hairbear7 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:34 pm

Holy shit. Did you buy all new books in undergrad also?

User avatar
LoganCouture
Posts: 1407
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:48 pm

Re: 1L: Help! I'm stuck in a 1L-evator (title credit to gray)

Postby LoganCouture » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:34 pm

Gray wrote:
DCfilterDC wrote:Did you guys all buy new books? I've just bought used and so far haven't minded it, but wondering if that'll be the case later in the semester.

Holy shit no - I've been able to find almost everything for less than 50% of the USED bookstore price on Amazon. I got my Contracts book (the right edition and everything) for $30 and it's barely even underlined. I think I spent ~$350 total on all my books.


Yeah if I buy everything used on various sites online I think I can sneak under $600... I bought all used in undergrad so I figure it's good enough for law school.
Last edited by LoganCouture on Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DJM
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:39 pm

Re: 1L: Help! I'm stuck in a 1L-evator (title credit to gray)

Postby DJM » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:41 pm

hairbear7 wrote:Holy shit. Did you buy all new books in undergrad also?


If this is @ me. yes, but I only got the books for undergrad if someone told me I would fail w/o them or I decided I needed it halfway through the quarter

03152016
Posts: 9189
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:14 am

Re: 1L: Help! I'm stuck in a 1L-evator (title credit to gray)

Postby 03152016 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:14 pm

hello 1Ls
2L thread ambassador coming to wish u all a good first week in law school!
hope u r all enjoying ur new surroundings and having fun before things start getting busy
and remember, don't stress too much! if u find it tough, so is everyone else. first month has a bit of a learning curve! but it gets much easier

8)

User avatar
Big Red
Posts: 3018
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:29 pm

Re: 1L: Help! I'm stuck in a 1L-evator (title credit to gray)

Postby Big Red » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:33 am

Damn you guys kinda killed it if you're under $400. I ended up ~600 but largely because I can't stand books that have substantial underlining and amazon has screwed me before. But I'm pretty sure whoever had my Civ Pro book thinks highlighters are supposed to be used to underline

Brut wrote:hello 1Ls
2L thread ambassador coming to wish u all a good first week in law school!
hope u r all enjoying ur new surroundings and having fun before things start getting busy
and remember, don't stress too much! if u find it tough, so is everyone else. first month has a bit of a learning curve! but it gets much easier

8)


Thanks Brut. How long before things start getting legit busy?

03152016
Posts: 9189
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:14 am

Re: 1L: Help! I'm stuck in a 1L-evator (title credit to gray)

Postby 03152016 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:52 am

you'll probably get a little busy when you get your first substantive lrw assignment (assuming your lrw is graded)
it's usually a memo. will prob come in a few weeks, maybe a month
but sept and oct should be fairly tame in terms of workload. nov is when a lot of people start ramping up, i.e. they start outlining, taking practice exams, etc




Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: natlkajdfjk and 4 guests