. Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)
PeanutsNJam

Gold

Re: Done-L: it was one L of a year.

Post by PeanutsNJam » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:37 am

I've gotten a good number of "Our hiring season doesn't start until August." Is that BS or is that actually real for some firms?

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:40 am

PeanutsNJam wrote:I've gotten a good number of "Our hiring season doesn't start until August." Is that BS or is that actually real for some firms?
You have the numbers, so I'm not sure why they'd be lying to you about that.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:50 am

Hikikomorist wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:I've gotten a good number of "Our hiring season doesn't start until August." Is that BS or is that actually real for some firms?
You have the numbers, so I'm not sure why they'd be lying to you about that.
It's a conspiracy!

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:23 am

Sry I just hear about all these pre-OCI offers and get neurotic.

Dr. Nefario

Gold

Post by Dr. Nefario » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:58 pm

August or September responses for me. Also filling out EEO surveys throws me off. It's like I'm interested are you interested but now I think you're interested but then it looks like you're not interested so now I'm not interested but you might be interested. It's like a tango and I just want to Charleston.

Last edited by Dr. Nefario on Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kinky John

Silver

Post by Kinky John » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:19 pm

lol
Last edited by Kinky John on Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

MurdockLLP

Bronze

Post by MurdockLLP » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:40 pm

cannibal ox wrote:
MurdockLLP wrote:
cannibal ox wrote:
MurdockLLP wrote:
cannibal ox wrote:93 is a lot... for one day.

Seriously, don't stop blasting until you've got a job. You should be hitting upwards of a couple hundred, easily.
My school told firms to not interview us before OCI.

Not sure if there are a couple of hundred firms to target right now (market paying).
lol @ both of these statements.

Interview whenever you want. CSO tries to get the most number of students a job, they don't try to get YOU a job. The only reason they say this is so that it's an even playing field for all the kids they have to look out for.

There are absolutely, positively, no doubt about it, several hundred offices to mass blast with your resume and cover letter. Unless somehow there were a couple hundred offices that closed between last year (when I did this) and now.
I would love to interview now before OCI, thats why I massed mailed. But the school has effectively blocked my ability to go into firms prior to OCI.

And I know there are plenty of offices to mass mail in my market, but right now I'm only targeting those firms that pay 160-180K.
I'm assuming you're mass mailing firms that are not coming to OCI (if you're mass mailing firms that will be at OCI later this summer, ignore the rest of this post.. but also.. why are you mass mailing OCI firms and not firms you wouldn't be in front of without mass mail?). How exactly is your school "blocking" you from interviewing with firms? Are they going to stop you from participating in OCI if you take a callback before OCI begins? How would they even know? Genuinely curious about how a school is blocking students from potentially securing a job.
Many of the Vault 100 come to my school for OCI. I believe the school told them not to interview us before OCI. I have mass mailed outside the firms coming to OCI as well and actually just received an interview request. However, the interview is after my OCI.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:41 pm

Last edited by PeanutsNJam on Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kinky John

Silver

Post by Kinky John » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:43 pm

Last edited by Kinky John on Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

acr

Silver

Post by acr » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:53 pm

Jmart082

Bronze

Post by Jmart082 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:56 pm

acr wrote:.
Damn. Who cracked now?

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:57 pm

What happened?

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:10 am

Just wustttl being wustttl, but this thing needed to be off the internet because it could potentially ruin somebody's life.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Dr. Nefario

Gold

Post by Dr. Nefario » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:09 am

PeanutsNJam wrote:Just wustttl being wustttl, but this thing needed to be off the internet because it could potentially ruin somebody's life.
is it pm TTTT worthy?

IsThisForReal

Gold

Post by IsThisForReal » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:17 am

Dr. Nefario wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:Just wustttl being wustttl, but this thing needed to be off the internet because it could potentially ruin somebody's life.
is it pm TTTT worthy?
If you're PMing, I'd like one too please
Last edited by IsThisForReal on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:15 pm

IsThisForReal wrote:
Dr. Nefario wrote:
is it pm TTTT worthy?
Me too

Jmart082

Bronze

Post by Jmart082 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:45 pm

Hand wrote:
IsThisForReal wrote:
Dr. Nefario wrote:
is it pm TTTT worthy?
Me too
As a chronic social media oversharer, the moral of this story is that the man needs a journal in which to write his thoughts, not a public forum. C&F is going to be all over him like a fly to the shit.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:11 am

PM ME I NEED TO KNOW

I NOW REGRET FORMING RELATIONSHIPS WITH NONE OF YOU

PLEASE DISREGARD THAT AND TELL ME GOSSIP

Dr. Nefario

Gold

Post by Dr. Nefario » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:40 am

University of Hawaii now competing with the big boys. Kinda cool that the only non-T14 SCOTUS clerk next year comes from somewhere new.

http://abovethelaw.com/2016/07/supreme- ... r-ot-2016/

Minnietron

Silver

Post by Minnietron » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:07 am

Joke incoming. Joke: My interview skills. Did a mock and ended up talking about my job at PetSmart where I would head to the fish section and give the cichlids feeder fish. What BigLaw screener wouldn't want to hear about that...
Last edited by Minnietron on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:27 am

Minnietron wrote:Joke incoming. Joke: My interview skills. Did a mock and ended up talking about my job at PetSmart where I would head to the fish section and give the cichlids feeder fish. What BigLaw screener wouldn't want to hear about that...
Lolol Minnie that's amazing

I told an interviewer in an interview that I'm bad at interviewing so that's how that one went

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Dr. Nefario

Gold

Post by Dr. Nefario » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:31 am

Minnietron wrote:Joke incoming. Joke: My interview skills. Did a mock and ended up talking about my job at PetSmart where I would head to the fish section and give the cichlids feeder fish. What BigLaw screener wouldn't want to hear about that...
FWIW this would, litrally, NOT be the interviewer's most interesting story of the day

ETA: retracted my statement after reading ITFR's comment.
Last edited by Dr. Nefario on Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

IsThisForReal

Gold

Post by IsThisForReal » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:51 am

buckiguy_sucks wrote:

I told an interviewer in an interview that I'm bad at interviewing so that's how that one went
I ended up talking about slaughtering rabbits with a set of interviewers last spring. I also have castration on my resume, so that comes up sometimes.
Last edited by IsThisForReal on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:03 am

I had one that was (a) for a firm that practiced exclusively an area of law I didn't care about, (b) clearly off the rails, and (c) occurring while my dog was having surgery. I concluded it early with something like, "I'm sorry, it appears I'm wasting your time, and my dog is having a chest tumor removed right now, so if you don't mind I'll just give you some time to prepare for your next interview."
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Minnietron

Silver

Post by Minnietron » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:50 pm

IsThisForReal wrote:
buckiguy_sucks wrote:

I ended up talking about slaughtering rabbits with a set of interviewers last spring. I also have castration on my resume, so that comes up sometimes.
And this is why I come on here!
BIGS, maybe the interiviewer appreciated the self-deprecating nature of your comment. Under promise and over deliver!
ITFR, is the castration related to rabbits...?
BVest wrote:I had one that was (a) for a firm that practiced exclusively an area of law I didn't care about, (b) clearly off the rails, and (c) occurring while my dog was having surgery. I concluded it early with something like, "I'm sorry, it appears I'm wasting your time, and my dog is having a chest tumor removed right now, so if you don't mind I'll just give you some time to prepare for your next interview."
So you got the callback, correct?
Last edited by Minnietron on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”