2Little 2Late

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

How successful have you been at forcing yourself to care about grades?

lol
7%
... I mean I still need to graduate... I guess...
14%
I want to maintain some semblance of dignity
57%
I am a clerkship gunner and/or incorrigible perfectionist
21%

Total votes: 28

IsThisForReal

Re: Done-L: it was one L of a year.

Postby IsThisForReal » Fri May 27, 2016 9:18 pm

Hey guys, I'm Top 10% at the POWERHOUSE. I'll show you the ropes. Smooth sailing from here on out.

And I am certainly feeling some kind of euphoria. At least till I have to start the first assignment for Law Review.

Hand

Postby Hand » Fri May 27, 2016 9:45 pm

IsThisForReal wrote:Hey guys, I'm Top 10% at the POWERHOUSE. I'll show you the ropes. Smooth sailing from here on out.

And I am certainly feeling some kind of euphoria. At least till I have to start the first assignment for Law Review.

nice, congrats!

clshopeful

Postby clshopeful » Sat May 28, 2016 4:05 am

private message notification says -1.... what?

Hand

Postby Hand » Sat May 28, 2016 5:37 am

clshopeful wrote:private message notification says -1.... what?

I stole all your messages

MurdockLLP

Postby MurdockLLP » Sat May 28, 2016 8:12 am

MurdockLLP wrote:
Hand wrote:
Minnietron wrote:
Hand wrote:
Minnietron wrote:
MurdockLLP wrote:
MurdockLLP wrote:
Got my first grade back last night. A-. Lets keep that going for the next three??

Congrats, mate! Fingers crossed the trend continues for you.

P.S. Should it continue, please inform us how you feel.

Thanks! Didn't we decide that an A- warranted a euphoric response?

I don't believe that was the holding ITT. Euphoric has been referenced the most, but I think it has been dicta. I don't think there are enough grades out and emotions felt for this issue to be ripe enough to have a thread-wide standard. Your case will help crystalize the boundaries.

I'm sure the 2nd circuit will find a way to raise the bar for euphoria no matter what the rest does

Nice to see that law school has broken us all.

Second grade (of 4 back) and another A-. Halfway to euphoria!

IsThisForReal

Postby IsThisForReal » Sat May 28, 2016 10:13 am

Hand wrote:
IsThisForReal wrote:Hey guys, I'm Top 10% at the POWERHOUSE. I'll show you the ropes. Smooth sailing from here on out.

nice, congrats!

Thanks! I was starting to sweat when grades were coming out. I'm extremely excited that I don't have to do write-on.

Good luck to everyone working on it. Wishing you guys lots of proper citations and insightful notions.

GoneSouth

Postby GoneSouth » Sat May 28, 2016 10:27 am

First grade of the semester is an A-. Tell me I'm dumb for feeling ambivalent about it

Kinky John

Postby Kinky John » Sat May 28, 2016 11:00 am

GoneSouth wrote:First grade of the semester is an A-. Tell me I'm dumb for feeling ambivalent about it

Nah you're euphoric

landshoes
is that cool?

Postby landshoes » Sat May 28, 2016 11:16 am

GoneSouth wrote:First grade of the semester is an A-. Tell me I'm dumb for feeling ambivalent about it

detachment is the best way to deal with grades

Minnietron

Postby Minnietron » Sat May 28, 2016 11:39 am

landshoes wrote:

detachment is the best way to deal with grades most of life

Spock has this down; get emotional about life and death.

zhenders

Postby zhenders » Sat May 28, 2016 8:32 pm

Best of luck all, keep the happiness coming :-)

One exam down, three to go. Hah

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Sun May 29, 2016 11:24 pm

This is as good of a place as any to post this: I have a blank check* from HLS to build law firm research tools. Last year I worked on this and it was a hit. Law firms and other research sites were on board with collaborating. We had a great platform, but it was only usable by HLS c/o 2017. (They all used it extensively.). This year I have the opportunity to open it up a bit more.

What do you want to know about law firms?

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Mon May 30, 2016 10:39 am

TripTrip wrote:This is as good of a place as any to post this: I have a blank check* from HLS to build law firm research tools. Last year I worked on this and it was a hit. Law firms and other research sites were on board with collaborating. We had a great platform, but it was only usable by HLS c/o 2017. (They all used it extensively.). This year I have the opportunity to open it up a bit more.

What do you want to know about law firms?

Payscales, bonuses, average stay time of associates, partnership odds (in the form of a %), exit options, offer rates, strongest practice groups

buckiguy_sucks

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Mon May 30, 2016 10:41 am

actual hours billed and if possible bill to total hours worked percentage

Hand

Postby Hand » Mon May 30, 2016 10:44 am

number of associates who committed suicide, number of associaties who simply dropped dead from exhaustion, ease of buying coke in the office

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Mon May 30, 2016 10:54 am

Yeah basically as much NALP data as possible, since NALP is pretty damn inaccurate in a lot of cases so idk when I can trust it.

landshoes
is that cool?

Postby landshoes » Mon May 30, 2016 4:43 pm

partnership compensation structure

downbeat14

Postby downbeat14 » Mon May 30, 2016 5:05 pm

Average GPA by school of those receiving callbacks/rough grade cutoffs by school... keep dreaming, I know, but that would be amazing.

buckiguy_sucks

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Mon May 30, 2016 5:13 pm

landshoes wrote:partnership compensation structure

who gives a shit they'll squeeze their 3-5 years out of us then push us out anyway

seems more important to the firm you inevitably lateral to (if you even lateral to a firm)

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Mon May 30, 2016 6:18 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:Yeah basically as much NALP data as possible, since NALP is pretty damn inaccurate in a lot of cases so idk when I can trust it.

NavForward and LearnLEO both have their own proprietary data on a lot of NALP topics and were great to work with last year. I'll be working with them again, but I'd recommend checking out some of their data too.

MurdockLLP

Postby MurdockLLP » Mon May 30, 2016 6:22 pm

downbeat14 wrote:Average GPA by school of those receiving callbacks/rough grade cutoffs by school... keep dreaming, I know, but that would be amazing.

This would be everything.

Kinky John

Postby Kinky John » Mon May 30, 2016 6:57 pm

I would want to know which partners/practice groups it sucks to work with at each firm

landshoes
is that cool?

Postby landshoes » Mon May 30, 2016 8:59 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:
landshoes wrote:partnership compensation structure

who gives a shit they'll squeeze their 3-5 years out of us then push us out anyway

seems more important to the firm you inevitably lateral to (if you even lateral to a firm)

it affects how they interact with each other and with associates

a place where partners compete for business and constantly fight over $$ is a miserable place compared to a lockstep firm

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Mon May 30, 2016 9:01 pm

MurdockLLP wrote:
downbeat14 wrote:Average GPA by school of those receiving callbacks/rough grade cutoffs by school... keep dreaming, I know, but that would be amazing.

This would be everything.

I have the data to do this at HLS, but have received the following very reasonable push-back: if I release grade cutoffs, law firms will strive to appear more selective. We will drive a stronger use of grades in SA selectivity. In other words, it would become a bit like USNWR where everyone knows the specific numbers that matter.

Now, at the end of the day law firms need to hire a certain number of associates. So on net, this wouldn't hurt law students as a whole. But it would give students with less than stellar grades even shittier options than they already have, and students with great grades even more options.

It may be reasonable to say, however, that this is more functional if we do it for every school rather than just for one school. If I published grades for only HLS, for example, law firms would have an incentive to be more grade selective at HLS but nowhere else. If I released grade data for everywhere it would be much more difficult for law firms to change their approach.

Happy to hear more thoughts. Obviously I'm still working through the grade issue and have been for a long time. I've been trying to propose a black box alternative where the system gives students a rating of "Reach" or "Target" for Simplicity bids (12Twenty @ Gtown). But it's obviously not as useful as just showing you the cutoffs.

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Mon May 30, 2016 11:52 pm

Average GPA/cutoffs might not actually be that helpful since they're probably widely distributed, with a few exceptions like WLRK. Firms will hire people with "below average" grades if they interview well, have relevant or interesting work experience, have a good network within the firm (like going to the same private high school a partner/recruiting attorney went to), and/or have ties to the city.

I'd prefer data helpful for selecting firms, and since there's almost no information for payscales outside of NYC, I would very much like that.

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”