2Little 2Late

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

How much are you regretting your extracurricular choices?

Not at all, I can manage my time.
3%
I get busy sometimes, but it's not the worst.
16%
Every couple of weeks I briefly lose my sanity.
26%
I long for the sweet release of death.
31%
I am smart and didn't sign up for unnecessary BS
23%

Total votes: 86

landshoes
is that cool?

Re: WE HAVE NO CH1LL

Postby landshoes » Sun May 01, 2016 11:21 pm

but if it's affixed can it really even be detached by just a random schmoe?

idk I think at some point you start thinking about wastage and things like that instead of conversion

eagle2a

Postby eagle2a » Sun May 01, 2016 11:50 pm

Anyone else just not studying?

acr

Postby acr » Sun May 01, 2016 11:53 pm

eagle2a wrote:Anyone else just not studying?

yeah

but because I have exam tomorrow morning and am heading to bed in like an hour

unsweetened

Postby unsweetened » Mon May 02, 2016 12:20 am

I don't use a laptop in class, even when given the opportunity to do so. I enjoy the challenge of trying to figure out what my doodles, arrows, abbreviations, and strange alien symbols mean.

haus

Postby haus » Mon May 02, 2016 12:22 am

Just completed an exam about 7 minutes ago.

I am not sure with what I am doing for the next two. Not studying at the moment, that is a given.

haus

Postby haus » Mon May 02, 2016 12:25 am

unsweetened wrote:I don't use a laptop in class, even when given the opportunity to do so. I enjoy the challenge of trying to figure out what my doodles, arrows, abbreviations, and strange alien symbols mean.

I spent most of the semester writing notes long hand. I have experimented scanning them and using OCR, but with limited success. Nonetheless my recall on the hand written notes seems to be better then my typed notes, so at the moment I am not too bothered by my less than successful experiments.

zhenders

Postby zhenders » Mon May 02, 2016 12:26 am

I've bypassed these issues more or less entirely by just not taking notes at all. This quarter has been way more fun so far.

Also congrats Haus. Almost there! The sweet smell of summer is just on the other side of whatever the hell you have left.

unsweetened

Postby unsweetened » Mon May 02, 2016 12:34 am

haus wrote:
unsweetened wrote:I don't use a laptop in class, even when given the opportunity to do so. I enjoy the challenge of trying to figure out what my doodles, arrows, abbreviations, and strange alien symbols mean.

I spent most of the semester writing notes long hand. I have experimented scanning them and using OCR, but with limited success. Nonetheless my recall on the hand written notes seems to be better then my typed notes, so at the moment I am not too bothered by my less than successful experiments.

scientific studies seem to exist. couple of profs who are major proponents of no laptops enjoyed sharing articles on this topic with the class last semester.
I just do it because I am old and my laptop has an embarrassingly loud fan that turns on at inopportune times

congrats on finishing exam stuff

haus

Postby haus » Mon May 02, 2016 12:50 am

zhenders wrote:I've bypassed these issues more or less entirely by just not taking notes at all. This quarter has been way more fun so far.

Also congrats Haus. Almost there! The sweet smell of summer is just on the other side of whatever the hell you have left.

Now that is what I call efficiency!

Thanks. Two more exams next weekend, and it looks like I have 50-60 hours at the office this week (not counting my 3 hours a day of commuting) and perhaps I might try to acknowledge my family or pets at some point during the next seven days...

unsweetened wrote:
haus wrote:

scientific studies seem to exist. couple of profs who are major proponents of no laptops enjoyed sharing articles on this topic with the class last semester.
I just do it because I am old and my laptop has an embarrassingly loud fan that turns on at inopportune times

congrats on finishing exam stuff

Yeah, I am a bit older myself (I have been out of the military for two decades). Although I have spent most of my professional career in tech, so I am not adverse to it. Perhaps in the fall I will try to lessen up on the note taking, following zhenders lead.

TetrisBlock

Postby TetrisBlock » Tue May 03, 2016 12:28 pm

I've been pretty bad at studying during for finals this semester, but the exams have actually gone about the same as last semester despite only studying the day before. I don't know why I am so clocked out, but it's been okay.

Minnietron

Postby Minnietron » Tue May 03, 2016 1:31 pm

TetrisBlock wrote:

I've been pretty bad at studying during for finals this semester, but the exams have actually gone about the same as last semester despite only studying the day before. I don't know why I am so clocked out, but it's been okay.

Does looking at material and not comprehending it count as not studying?

TetrisBlock

Postby TetrisBlock » Tue May 03, 2016 1:36 pm

Minnietron wrote:
TetrisBlock wrote:

Does looking at material and not comprehending it count as not studying?

If facebook is anything to go by, that's what studying is.

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Tue May 03, 2016 2:04 pm

The real pro move is to print out an upperclassmen outline and take notes on the outline

leslieknope

Postby leslieknope » Tue May 03, 2016 2:10 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:The real pro move is to print out an upperclassmen outline and take notes on the outline

Nah, the real pro move is to read the outline and make flowcharts. So many flowcharts. ALL the flowcharts.

BNA

Postby BNA » Tue May 03, 2016 3:36 pm

Just took my first exam of the second semester and couldn't stop thinking about how bored I was through the whole thing. All I wanted to do was get up and leave. I was full of adrenaline until the last minute of every exam last semester. This time I could hardly pay attention.

andthenIwaslike

Postby andthenIwaslike » Tue May 03, 2016 3:46 pm

BNA wrote:Just took my first exam of the second semester and couldn't stop thinking about how bored I was through the whole thing. All I wanted to do was get up and leave. I was full of adrenaline until the last minute of every exam last semester. This time I could hardly pay attention.

I had the same feeling! Last semester it was game time during finals, this time I was like April Ludgate the whole time in my head. This is the worst, I wanna leave.

Whatever, only three finals now stand between me and 1L being OVER.

DCfilterDC

Postby DCfilterDC » Tue May 03, 2016 3:57 pm

I feel like this time in the fall I was comfortable with civ pro rules, now I have no idea what RAP is... Unsure if I'm burnt out, or just not as frightened as I was.

Gray

Postby Gray » Tue May 03, 2016 4:22 pm

All I want to do is talk about Game of Thrones and nap.... but TBH my minimalistic approach to studying this semester is about the same as last semester and that went ok. It's all a crapshoot anyway. Effort ≠ Grades.

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Tue May 03, 2016 4:41 pm

Gray wrote:All I want to do is talk about Game of Thrones and nap.... but TBH my minimalistic approach to studying this semester is about the same as last semester and that went ok. It's all a crapshoot anyway. Effort ≠ Grades.

Yeah exams really don't test any of the nuance you go over in class you just know the rules sort of and maybe a handful of cases or two and then just apply the law to the facts and win.

Like lol at spending 2 hours reading law review articles about "unborn children" tort law (someone did this).

unsweetened

Postby unsweetened » Tue May 03, 2016 4:45 pm

closed book torts exam is tomorrow. want to cry.
at least it's shitty for everyone

BNA

Postby BNA » Tue May 03, 2016 5:29 pm

Upcoming closed book exam on the FKING FRCP! No one is safe.

unsweetened

Postby unsweetened » Tue May 03, 2016 5:52 pm

BNA wrote:Upcoming closed book exam on the FKING FRCP! No one is safe.

that sounds pretty shitty

dabigchina

Postby dabigchina » Tue May 03, 2016 5:59 pm

DCfilterDC wrote:I feel like this time in the fall I was comfortable with civ pro rules, now I have no idea what RAP is... Unsure if I'm burnt out, or just not as frightened as I was.

21 years after measuring life

something mort main.

pretty sure that's all anybody teaches at columbia anyway.

Hikikomorist

Postby Hikikomorist » Tue May 03, 2016 6:22 pm

Listening to people in real life makes me worried I'm studying too little; reading posts on TLS makes me think I'm studying too much. There's no winning in this life.

IsThisForReal

Postby IsThisForReal » Tue May 03, 2016 6:32 pm

I think I totally flubbed the crim law exam today. I know the law and think I applied it correctly bu my essay was shit.

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”