2Little 2Late

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

How much are you regretting your extracurricular choices?

Not at all, I can manage my time.
5%
I get busy sometimes, but it's not the worst.
16%
Every couple of weeks I briefly lose my sanity.
25%
I long for the sweet release of death.
32%
I am smart and didn't sign up for unnecessary BS
23%

Total votes: 88

DCfilterDC

Re: WE HAVE NO CH1LL

Postby DCfilterDC » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:44 pm

Decided to finally type up my sparse notes for the one class I'm in with no computers, I actually can't read my handwriting...

haus

Postby haus » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:41 pm

DCfilterDC wrote:Decided to finally type up my sparse notes for the one class I'm in with no computers, I actually can't read my handwriting...

Just think of this a information security feature.

unsweetened

Postby unsweetened » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:06 pm

DCfilterDC wrote:Decided to finally type up my sparse notes for the one class I'm in with no computers, I actually can't read my handwriting...

I have this problem sometimes since I hand write most of my notes. When I read something I'm like "WTF does that mean?"
Being in a small study group has been helpful with this because we cross reference notes and I can ask "What does _________ mean in plain English?"

Big Red

Postby Big Red » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:34 pm

I went no computer for like the first 6 weeks of class

:lol:

just like 3 weeks until I can look back at 1L and :lol: and :roll:

Dr. Nefario

Postby Dr. Nefario » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:33 am

Last day of class woooooo...time to go find my hole in the basement of the library where I will live for the next 3 weeks.

GoneSouth

Postby GoneSouth » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:46 pm

Does anyone else feel like their section is completely mailing it in for exams/have been mailing it in this entire semester? It's such a different vibe than the fall

Hikikomorist

Postby Hikikomorist » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:17 pm

GoneSouth wrote:Does anyone else feel like their section is completely mailing it in for exams/have been mailing it in this entire semester? It's such a different vibe than the fall

I'm really counting on this being the case.

Big Red

Postby Big Red » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:20 pm

It's hard to tell, but I feel like it might just be the case that people have figured out input doesn't equal output in law school

dabigchina

Postby dabigchina » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:12 pm

I've been handwriting all my notes all semester.

Complete unreadable both in syntax and handwriting.

CountingBlue

Postby CountingBlue » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:19 am

My handwriting is relatively clear but my spelling is at the limits of literacy.

unsweetened

Postby unsweetened » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:39 pm

GoneSouth wrote:Does anyone else feel like their section is completely mailing it in for exams/have been mailing it in this entire semester? It's such a different vibe than the fall

Outwardly, yes. I hope that's actually the case.

KunAgnis

Postby KunAgnis » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:12 pm

Big Red wrote:never really quite gotten why people show up with pages of typed notes for every day's reading, seems like a pretty irrefutable waste of time honestly

but what do I know, a pretty decent chunk of people do better than me so #ymmv :lol:

Bit of a late reply, but some people (NOT ME) use really thoroughly used textbooks and so need a separate margin to bring notes. For me, it just helps me follow along the class discussion. Depending on the class, though, I don't bother with notes since the professor is such a stickler to detailed reading and gives the black letter law that there's no point (if I brought notes there, it'd be like 7 or 8 pages to have everything). Also, I'm a slow writer and a lot of my classes have been no laptop so I can't keep up with the professor without typed notes.

Hikikomorist

Postby Hikikomorist » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:23 pm

Is it normal to come to class with prepared notes? I thought everyone just read, at the most.

DCfilterDC

Postby DCfilterDC » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:24 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:Is it normal to come to class with prepared notes? I thought everyone just read, at the most.

A ton of people in my section have pretty intense notes for class. But they also outline as the semester goes so there's that

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:24 pm

DCfilterDC wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:Is it normal to come to class with prepared notes? I thought everyone just read, at the most.

A ton of people in my section have pretty intense notes for class. But they also outline as the semester goes so there's that

I just read. I used typed briefs for 2 classes all last semester and it worked quite well. I'm just a lazy bastard this semester. As long as you read carefully and have good in-class notes I think you're good in terms of the material you need to synthesize for the exam.

unsweetened

Postby unsweetened » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:38 pm

I do this for Torts and K's. It's mostly RST/RTT/UCC shit that I know is going to get dropped into my outline later, along with case blurbs like rule, holding, and reasoning. The other reason I do this is because I'd read the entire week of torts in a day, so it was impossible to remember much of it for nearly a week. That one day a week was usually awful, but it made the other 6 a lot more chill. I'd keep a 4" margin on the right side of the page so I had room for class notes next to my typed stuff, which is good if the Professor likes drawing diagrams and making charts.

Minnietron

Postby Minnietron » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:11 pm

I have an old outline that I bring to class and take notes on. It might look like reading notes, but it is actually the opposite when it comes to effort!

unsweetened

Postby unsweetened » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:49 pm

Minnietron wrote:

I have an old outline that I bring to class and take notes on. It might look like reading notes, but it is actually the opposite when it comes to effort!

My crim class last semester had "the script" which was essentially a word for word transcription of the professor's lecture from the first day of class to the last day of class. It was so exact that when the prof mentioned "some of you have asked me about availability of old exams" it was in the script too. Only about 50% of the class actually bothered to take notes during class.

Minnietron

Postby Minnietron » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:29 pm

unsweetened wrote:
Minnietron wrote:

My crim class last semester had "the script" which was essentially a word for word transcription of the professor's lecture from the first day of class to the last day of class. It was so exact that when the prof mentioned "some of you have asked me about availability of old exams" it was in the script too. Only about 50% of the class actually bothered to take notes during class.

Pretty much same situation here. As the semester progressed, there were more copies popping up every class. I stay on target though, there have been a few errors/changes!

DCfilterDC

Postby DCfilterDC » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:53 pm

I still don't know how to make an outline/what one is, I used my outlines during my exams but I have friends who didn't touch theirs

GoneSouth

Postby GoneSouth » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:11 pm

DCfilterDC wrote:

I take pretty extensive notes as I read, but I rarely reference them during class. It's more to help for outlining

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:20 am

Outlining is review. Attack Sheets/Flowcharts > Outline for exams.

LoganCouture

Postby LoganCouture » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:19 am

so. if anyone thought deciding to read/outline & write a brief starting ~52 hours before it's due is a good idea...it's really not.

edit: also, outlines, what outlines. still a month left of class over here..

zhenders

Postby zhenders » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:20 pm

LoganCouture wrote:so. if anyone thought deciding to read/outline & write a brief starting ~52 hours before it's due is a good idea...it's really not.

Feeling you.

LoganCouture

Postby LoganCouture » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:59 pm

zhenders wrote:
LoganCouture wrote:so. if anyone thought deciding to read/outline & write a brief starting ~52 hours before it's due is a good idea...it's really not.

Feeling you.

quarter school woes.

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”