2Little 2Late

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

How much are you regretting your extracurricular choices?

Not at all, I can manage my time.
5%
I get busy sometimes, but it's not the worst.
16%
Every couple of weeks I briefly lose my sanity.
25%
I long for the sweet release of death.
32%
I am smart and didn't sign up for unnecessary BS
23%

Total votes: 88

OhBoyOhBortles

Re: Rainbows and Sm1Les: Everything Is Totally Fine

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:53 pm

IsThisForReal wrote:
foregetaboutdre wrote:
buckiguy_sucks wrote:This is a post where i muse about the strange pronunciations of Ohio towns that are named after other things why aren't they pronounced like the other things.

Lime-uh = Lima
Ver-sales = Versailles
Zeen-yuh = Xenia
Ray-oh Grand = Rio Grande
Leb-a-nun = Lebanon

????????

Also where I muse about New Orleans not being pronounced like Orleans. Why English language, why

edit: there was no actual musing I suppose just a lot of question marks

Ties to both MI and OH. Charlotte in Michigan is pronounced. SHAR - LOT (Lot). I really hope I don't mess up pronouncing Charlotte, NC for anything (and also sound like an idiot).

Ummm. I'm pretty sure that's how its pronounced in the rest of the country too....

Unless we're arguing about the semantics of an unemphasized -lot vs -let, that you cant really differentiate in speech anyway

Shar-low.

Minnietron

Re: WE HAVE NO CH1LL

Postby Minnietron » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:43 pm

Gray wrote:new poll new poll what do the people want

Number of casebooks, supplements, and exam strategy materials you have purchased and never opened.

Number of shows you have backlogged on Netflix and Hulu waiting to queue up.

Anticipated change in class ranking from mid to end of 1L.

Number of alternative career paths / degrees researched during 2d semester(quarter).

Most anticipated aspect of summer employment.

How many electoral collage votes Hillary will beat Trump by.

tuxedocat

Postby tuxedocat » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:10 pm

RCSOB657 wrote:Well this sucks...

I just got another offer for this summer after accepting my first. Not paid, but would be better for my resume, experientially. Would have been with the Liberian Minister of Justice.

Edited. Told my advisor I already accepted and to send a friend's CV who was getting stone walled in her other search. Hopefully, works out for her.

Did the offer ask for your bank routing and account numbers?

RCSOB657

Postby RCSOB657 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:30 am

tuxedocat wrote:
RCSOB657 wrote:Well this sucks...

I just got another offer for this summer after accepting my first. Not paid, but would be better for my resume, experientially. Would have been with the Liberian Minister of Justice.

Edited. Told my advisor I already accepted and to send a friend's CV who was getting stone walled in her other search. Hopefully, works out for her.

Did the offer ask for your bank routing and account numbers?

Lol. Personally, I was hoping for the case tracking summer gig for the DEA in Liberia. This MOJ externship would have been my consolation prize for them filling the spot with a temp attny.

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:29 pm

It's a boring poll but I'd be interested in seeing which city/market everybody wants most. NYC, DC, Chi, West Coast, Texas, Pacific Northwest, South, Midwest, East Coast, Other

Bonus points for specifying why

Hand

Postby Hand » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:40 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:It's a boring poll but I'd be interested in seeing which city/market everybody wants most. NYC, DC, Chi, West Coast, Texas, Pacific Northwest, South, Midwest, East Coast, Other

Bonus points for specifying why

Boooooooring

Gray, give us a fun poll; something like how likely are you to kill yourself when you strike out, ranging from "I'm skipping OCI" to "Hikko"

DCfilterDC

Postby DCfilterDC » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:42 pm

I can't write essays anymore. When I see applications asking for 500-1000 word essays on my thoughts on something, I am filled with dread

Kinky John

Postby Kinky John » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:02 pm

DCfilterDC wrote:I can't write essays anymore. When I see applications asking for 500-1000 word essays on my thoughts on something, I am filled with dread

Don't be a big baby just do it

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:26 am

Is it just me or was the whole supplement craze I read about as a 0L totally overblown? Supplements aren't necessary at all. Like Freer for Civ Pro was helpful to clarify things, but certainly not necessary.

buckiguy_sucks

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:49 am

PeanutsNJam wrote:Is it just me or was the whole supplement craze I read about as a 0L totally overblown? Supplements aren't necessary at all. Like Freer for Civ Pro was helpful to clarify things, but certainly not necessary.

only if you pay attention in class

Hand

Postby Hand » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:01 am

buckiguy_sucks wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:Is it just me or was the whole supplement craze I read about as a 0L totally overblown? Supplements aren't necessary at all. Like Freer for Civ Pro was helpful to clarify things, but certainly not necessary.

only if you pay attention in class

Yeah the need for supplements depends almost entirely on (a) how much attention you pay in class and (b) how shitty your prof is
No way I would have made it through Ks without a couple of supplements

landshoes
is that cool?

Postby landshoes » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:52 pm

Freer is the only thing I learned CivPro from because our civpro prof couldn't explain anything

But for some classes it would have been useless or worse (crim, torts)

unsweetened

Postby unsweetened » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:42 pm

Partially overblown IMO. There was one hornbook that I used for K's last semester that was indispensable. The Civ Pro E&E was recommended by the professor and it was helpful, but most of the points on the exam came from stuff that we went over in class. I never even opened my Crim E&E or hornbook. I think it's professor dependent for the most part. I think it's far more helpful to get a pair of GOOD outlines for the class than it is to get supps. They basically do the same thing, but with the professor's own gloss.

rubberplant2020

Postby rubberplant2020 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:13 pm

unsweetened wrote:

Partially overblown IMO. There was one hornbook that I used for K's last semester that was indispensable.

You mind mentioning that Hornbook?

unsweetened

Postby unsweetened » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:41 pm

rubberplant2020 wrote:
unsweetened wrote:

Partially overblown IMO. There was one hornbook that I used for K's last semester that was indispensable.

You mind mentioning that Hornbook?

It was from the concise hornbook series written to the Summers Hillman textbook. If you have access to Westlaw Next, you can get access the digital copy for free - it's just a PITA to navigate.

Minnietron

Postby Minnietron » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:17 pm

Chemerinsky is the only reason I think a B- is on my radar in Con. I look at my class notes and laugh, and there is no way I am reading the casebook.

Porkypots

Postby Porkypots » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:54 pm

the only reason i survived contracts was thanks to E & E and CALI lessons. my prof is super shitty

leslieknope

Postby leslieknope » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:39 am

I literally learned Property by reading Gilbert's cover to cover. My class was useless and I could have skipped every single one and still know as much Property as I know now. Aside from that, I like the E&Es for CivPro and Torts, but they're helpful to the extent that I have time to do them during the semester. I didn't look at the CivPro E&E when I was studying for finals and I don't anticipate looking at the Torts one.

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:30 am

leslieknope wrote:I literally learned Property by reading Gilbert's cover to cover. My class was useless and I could have skipped every single one and still know as much Property as I know now.

I have a prof who's terrible at teaching. Would using a supplement like this work? I figured it might not since professors have different styles from supplements right? The class is Crim law, and my prof doesn't teach out of the MPC, doesn't teach statutory interpretation, nor does he teach NY vs Cali penal law. He just tries to teach crim common law.

DCfilterDC

Postby DCfilterDC » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:37 am

PeanutsNJam wrote:
leslieknope wrote:I literally learned Property by reading Gilbert's cover to cover. My class was useless and I could have skipped every single one and still know as much Property as I know now.

I have a prof who's terrible at teaching. Would using a supplement like this work? I figured it might not since professors have different styles from supplements right? The class is Crim law, and my prof doesn't teach out of the MPC, doesn't teach statutory interpretation, nor does he teach NY vs Cali penal law. He just tries to teach crim common law.

Damn that sounds weird.

I think E&Es can be helpful because they just give you practice. Civ Pro E&E was super helpful for me, but I thought Torts wasn't that great

IsThisForReal

Postby IsThisForReal » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:02 am

PeanutsNJam wrote:

We have a not so great teacher too. All the 2Ls swear by the Dressler:Understanding Crim that goes with our book. Our teacher teaches everything, hes just super confusing.

zhenders

Postby zhenders » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:10 pm

I can +1 Dressler -- especially if your prof uses his text, but even if she doesn't. The only negative about that supplement I can think of is that it includes basically nothing on corporate liability. Perhaps also, the way it introduces Pinkerton is a little bit different from some courses. Otherwise, it's dope.

My thoughts on supplements are, "why the hell not?" Supplements allow me to take virtually no notes in class, enjoy the professor, and then polish my understanding/fluff up my memory when it comes time to take practice tests. I don't think I would enjoy anything about class if I took more notes than I do.

unsweetened

Postby unsweetened » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:39 pm

If I don't write it down, I don't remember it. That's basically the only reason I take notes.
As far as reading goes, there's reading and then there is READING. It's a lot less stressful when you know the Prof isn't going to cold call you for the semester.

leslieknope

Postby leslieknope » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:51 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:

I think it would. If you know he cares about common law only, just skip past MPC sections in the supplement. For a Gilbert outline type supplement, you could also just look up the cases you're assigned in the index and then focus on those sections.

buckiguy_sucks

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:44 am

Still awake because falling asleep means waking up and having to go to con law

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”