2Little 2Late

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

How successful have you been at forcing yourself to care about grades?

lol
11%
... I mean I still need to graduate... I guess...
23%
I want to maintain some semblance of dignity
45%
I am a clerkship gunner and/or incorrigible perfectionist
21%

Total votes: 56

unsweetened

Re: Rainbows and Sm1Les: Everything Is Totally Fine

Postby unsweetened » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:21 pm

woohoo spring break.

time to outline for civ pro

RCSOB657

Postby RCSOB657 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:29 pm

Wahrheit wrote:studying for torts like

Attorney-at-Birdlaw

Postby Attorney-at-Birdlaw » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:02 pm

unsweetened wrote:woohoo spring break.

Be prepared to drink yourself in a coma after outlining Civ Pro for just a day. I had it last semester and ended up with an outline of over 50 pages. Used every damned minute of the four hour exam that had only two questions.

TL;DR: Fuck Civ Pro.

Attorney-at-Birdlaw

Postby Attorney-at-Birdlaw » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:07 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:Just a friendly reminder to everyone on a normal school calendar that we are past the half-way point in the semester. Brace yourselves. Exams are coming.

Wait, I thought you weren't supposed to think about exams until you start outlining two weeks before?

unsweetened

Postby unsweetened » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:48 am

Attorney-at-Birdlaw wrote:

Be prepared to drink yourself in a coma after outlining Civ Pro for just a day. I had it last semester and ended up with an outline of over 50 pages. Used every damned minute of the four hour exam that had only two questions.

oh it gets better. my outline is limited to 5 pages front and back. so basically you make a 50 page outline, chop it in half, and then in half again... then shrink the font size to 8 and run the margin to the edge of the pages. yayyyyy

unsweetened

Postby unsweetened » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:50 am

PeanutsNJam wrote:Just a friendly reminder to everyone on a normal school calendar that we are past the half-way point in the semester. Brace yourselves. Exams are coming.

Wait, I thought you weren't supposed to think about exams until you start outlining two weeks before?

you're not... 8)

Attorney-at-Birdlaw

Postby Attorney-at-Birdlaw » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:52 am

unsweetened wrote:

oh it gets better. my outline is limited to 5 pages front and back. so basically you make a 50 page outline, chop it in half, and then in half again... then shrink the font size to 8 and run the margin to the edge of the pages. yayyyyy

Wow, that fucking sucks dude. See absolutely no reason why a professor would set a limit on how many pages your outline can be, seems so incredibly random and arbitrary. If the professor is worried about people abusing their outline might as well make the exam closed book.

[s][/s]

Postby 03282016 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:23 am

Last edited by 03282016 on Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

unsweetened

Postby unsweetened » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:35 am

unsweetened wrote:

Wow, that fucking sucks dude. See absolutely no reason why a professor would set a limit on how many pages your outline can be, seems so incredibly random and arbitrary. If the professor is worried about people abusing their outline might as well make the exam closed book.

torts is closed book. it absolutely sucks. oh well, at least it sucks for everyone else in my section.

Joscellin

Postby Joscellin » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:31 am

unsweetened wrote:

Both my Civ Pro and Con Law classes are 1 page front+back outlines only. I'd much rather have totally closed book (which my Ks was last semester)

It's okay though, because we get the FRCP in Civ Pro and the Constitution in Con Law! :roll:

zhenders

Postby zhenders » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:43 am

Closed book exams sound glorious -- I don't know what y'all are talking about. My least favorite part of examming is outlining, x1,000,000. I hate the law school arms race so much.

Poldy

Postby Poldy » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:10 am

zhenders wrote:Closed book exams sound glorious -- I don't know what y'all are talking about. My least favorite part of examming is outlining, x1,000,000. I hate the law school arms race so much.

I agree with this 100%. Give me a closed book or one page of notes only test any day. I don't want to compete with who made the best outline. I want to be judged by who knows the material best.

I'm sure that is biased toward my learning style but too bad. Everyone else should just be like me or suffer the consequences.

RCSOB657

Postby RCSOB657 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:28 am

unsweetened wrote:
unsweetened wrote:

torts is closed book. it absolutely sucks. oh well, at least it sucks for everyone else in my section.

torts and civpro 1 & 2 are my only open book/outline exams here.

For civpro, we're allowed to use whatever we hand-write into our supplement/rules book.

DCfilterDC

Postby DCfilterDC » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:14 am

Poldy wrote:
zhenders wrote:Closed book exams sound glorious -- I don't know what y'all are talking about. My least favorite part of examming is outlining, x1,000,000. I hate the law school arms race so much.

I agree with this 100%. Give me a closed book or one page of notes only test any day. I don't want to compete with who made the best outline. I want to be judged by who knows the material best.

I'm sure that is biased toward my learning style but too bad. Everyone else should just be like me or suffer the consequences.

Yeah, but the kids who make the amazing outlines, typically never even touch them during the open-notes exams. I don't know a single student who did well in our closed-notes exam who didn't make an intense outline regardless.

DCfilterDC

Postby DCfilterDC » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:16 am

Wahrheit wrote:increasingly thankful for open hard drive exams

Wait what? As in you don't use ExamSoft?

accessislife

Postby accessislife » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:23 am

DCfilterDC wrote:
Yeah, but the kids who make the amazing outlines, typically never even touch them during the open-notes exams. I don't know a single student who did well in our closed-notes exam who didn't make an intense outline regardless.

+1 didn't see/hear of people who made crazy outlines looking at their notes at all(in classes without open hard drive) unless it was a really obscure point

also thankful for open hard drive Ctrl+F = life saver

[s][/s]

Postby 03282016 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:33 am

Last edited by 03282016 on Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

unsweetened

Postby unsweetened » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:47 am

DCfilterDC wrote:
Poldy wrote:

This... I made a 50 page outline for torts that I couldn't even use. It was basically just a way to study and make sure that I recapped all of the material. My crim outlne was 114 pages though, and I outline dumped like a MF. Ended up with the same grade in both classes, so I think the whole thing is really just a mind fuck.

Poldy

Postby Poldy » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:48 am

DCfilterDC wrote:
Poldy wrote:

I made half of one outline last semester and did fine. This semester I'm going to have to do a lot more and it sucks. I have one take home and one open note final. This semester is going to be the worst.

Attorney-at-Birdlaw

Postby Attorney-at-Birdlaw » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:24 pm

Does anyone have a legal writing final? On top of doing a legal motion worth like 40%, and oral argument worth 5%, we also have to take a final exam. Feels like such bullshit to do an exam for something that traditionally needs time and refinement.

unsweetened

Postby unsweetened » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:46 pm

Attorney-at-Birdlaw wrote:Does anyone have a legal writing final? On top of doing a legal motion worth like 40%, and oral argument worth 5%, we also have to take a final exam. Feels like such bullshit to do an exam for something that traditionally needs time and refinement.

Last semester, sort of... 60% was from the open memo, 30% from a research exam (find shit and cite correctly), and 10% from a contract exam (new thing for this year and thoroughly reviled). This semester, 100% of the grade is from the brief (only one credit hour in spring). So glad to be done with LRW.

landshoes
is that cool?

Postby landshoes » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:49 pm

I like having other people's outlines to ctrl + F when relevant but making one has never really been efficient...I focus too much on the organization and it wastes a lot of time that could be spent memorizing / practice testing.

unsweetened

Postby unsweetened » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:01 pm

landshoes wrote:I like having other people's outlines to ctrl + F when relevant but making one has never really been efficient...I focus too much on the organization and it wastes a lot of time that could be spent memorizing / practice testing.

Something I prefer myself, but half of my classes are with new professors that didn't teach the course material in a couple of years. FML. Memorizing/practicing is the way to go though.

Attorney-at-Birdlaw

Postby Attorney-at-Birdlaw » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:33 pm

unsweetened wrote:
Attorney-at-Birdlaw wrote:Does anyone have a legal writing final? On top of doing a legal motion worth like 40%, and oral argument worth 5%, we also have to take a final exam. Feels like such bullshit to do an exam for something that traditionally needs time and refinement.

Last semester, sort of... 60% was from the open memo, 30% from a research exam (find shit and cite correctly), and 10% from a contract exam (new thing for this year and thoroughly reviled). This semester, 100% of the grade is from the brief (only one credit hour in spring). So glad to be done with LRW.

Ah, our school made legal research a seperate class from legal writing. Both great classes in theory (love being able to look shit up on Westlaw and getting writing feedback from a 2L and practicing attorney is great), but fuck the way they're presented makes both a mind-numbing waste of time. Basically just sit through an hour and a half worth of powerpoints for each class that you could easily do from home, can't wait for 2L year to be done with this shit.

unsweetened

Postby unsweetened » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:39 pm

unsweetened wrote:

Ah, our school made legal research a seperate class from legal writing. Both great classes in theory (love being able to look shit up on Westlaw and getting writing feedback from a 2L and practicing attorney is great), but fuck the way they're presented makes both a mind-numbing waste of time. Basically just sit through an hour and a half worth of powerpoints for each class that you could easily do from home, can't wait for 2L year to be done with this shit.

Sounds awful. I really liked my LRW professor, but going to class was kind of irritating. So glad the class part is done forever and ever.

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”