2Little 2Late

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

How much are you regretting your extracurricular choices?

Not at all, I can manage my time.
4%
I get busy sometimes, but it's not the worst.
16%
Every couple of weeks I briefly lose my sanity.
25%
I long for the sweet release of death.
31%
I am smart and didn't sign up for unnecessary BS
24%

Total votes: 89

radio1nowhere

Re: Rainbows and Sm1Les: Everything Is Totally Fine

Postby radio1nowhere » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:41 pm

Minnietron wrote:Tears of joy! I mean, who isn't thrilled about the never ending LRW class known as legal employment? Bonus, it is graded with money!

I've never heard law practice described in such an unappealing way

Minnietron

Postby Minnietron » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:47 pm

radio1nowhere wrote:
Minnietron wrote:Tears of joy! I mean, who isn't thrilled about the never ending LRW class known as legal employment? Bonus, it is graded with money!

I've never heard law practice described in such an unappealing way

You focussed on the wrong part.

Big Red

Postby Big Red » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:39 pm

lol just peaked at the employment thread, nice to know all the 1Ls on TLS are ~top 10% and getting literally all the 1L SAs in the country

LoganCouture

Postby LoganCouture » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:53 pm

clearly we are all top 10% in hum1Lity

[s][/s]

Postby 03282016 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:14 pm

Last edited by 03282016 on Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IsThisForReal

Postby IsThisForReal » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:33 pm

I just want sleep

CaptainJapan

Postby CaptainJapan » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:45 pm

Am I alone in finding Property to be the most infuriating 1L subject? It's just endless arbitrary rule memorization and learning an entire new vocabulary...the cases we read are so fact-dense and specific it's almost impossible to brief them without just reproducing the text from the opinion.

It may be because our professor decided to beta-test one of her colleague's unpublished textbooks for our course, and it's basically useless. I'm about as low-stress as someone can be...but property has me buggin'

Anyone else, or am I a loser?

Indifference

Postby Indifference » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:00 pm

CaptainJapan wrote:Am I alone in finding Property to be the most infuriating 1L subject? It's just endless arbitrary rule memorization and learning an entire new vocabulary...the cases we read are so fact-dense and specific it's almost impossible to brief them without just reproducing the text from the opinion.

It may be because our professor decided to beta-test one of her colleague's unpublished textbooks for our course, and it's basically useless. I'm about as low-stress as someone can be...but property has me buggin'

Get Gilbert's, read, relax. Tbh, I had no idea what the hell was going on last semester in property. I just read Gilbert's, read the cases, looked at old outlines, and said fuckit on exam day. Worked out OK. Still don't get property.

DCfilterDC

Postby DCfilterDC » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:30 pm

Indifference wrote:
CaptainJapan wrote:Am I alone in finding Property to be the most infuriating 1L subject? It's just endless arbitrary rule memorization and learning an entire new vocabulary...the cases we read are so fact-dense and specific it's almost impossible to brief them without just reproducing the text from the opinion.

Get Gilbert's, read, relax. Tbh, I had no idea what the hell was going on last semester in property. I just read Gilbert's, read the cases, looked at old outlines, and said fuckit on exam day. Worked out OK. Still don't get property.

You just made me feel so much better. I think property is interesting, but I have no idea what's going on.

Auxilio

Postby Auxilio » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:49 pm

DCfilterDC wrote:
Indifference wrote:

You just made me feel so much better. I think property is interesting, but I have no idea what's going on.

Maybe my prof is going slowly, maybe he is just really good, maybe it being an elective makes it more tolerable, I don't know but I feel like so far it is just a series of (not that many) interconnected rules. Reminds me a lot of contracts. I'll admit some of the cases are slogs to read through, but overall I am not hating it and definitely do not feel confused.

buckiguy_sucks

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:49 pm

yeah but if you CLICK HERE you get to see a dope picture of the house so that's pretty much all there is to know about property

our property class is a mess though i don't know that i've learned anything

E: this may be my fault though??

DCfilterDC

Postby DCfilterDC » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:07 pm

Auxilio wrote:
DCfilterDC wrote:
Indifference wrote:

Maybe my prof is going slowly, maybe he is just really good, maybe it being an elective makes it more tolerable, I don't know but I feel like so far it is just a series of (not that many) interconnected rules. Reminds me a lot of contracts. I'll admit some of the cases are slogs to read through, but overall I am not hating it and definitely do not feel confused.

Ah. We're doing somewhere between 120-150 pages a week in property vs. 20-40 pages a week in contracts. So Property just seems unwieldy

Auxilio

Postby Auxilio » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:08 pm

DCfilterDC wrote:
Auxilio wrote:
DCfilterDC wrote:
Indifference wrote:

Ah. We're doing somewhere between 120-150 pages a week in property vs. 20-40 pages a week in contracts. So Property just seems unwieldy

Yeah it probably just that, as an elective we only have 2 classes a week, and he is pretty thorough, probably like 45 a week.

Joscellin

Postby Joscellin » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:10 pm

Not alone, fuck property.

Minnietron

Postby Minnietron » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:17 pm

I'm enjoying Property...a lot. It does help that we have a baller prof. Can I get some backup?
Gray wrote:

IsThisForReal

Postby IsThisForReal » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:36 pm

Regretting my decision to do the moot court competition. Someone bring me sugar? and a pillow?

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:43 pm

lc39 wrote:clearly we are all top 10% in hum1Lity

:lol:

Big Red

Postby Big Red » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:10 pm

:shock: @ 150 pages a week

not only is there no way you can cover that much, but it makes the final even more of a mess b/c you have all this material that may or may not show up

I think property is pretty interesting but also completely absurd. idk wtf is going on with future interests

DJM

Postby DJM » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:16 pm

Big Red wrote::shock: @ 150 pages a week

not only is there no way you can cover that much, but it makes the final even more of a mess b/c you have all this material that may or may not show up

I think property is pretty interesting but also completely absurd. idk wtf is going on with future interests

I am also pulling around 100-140 pages per week

Joscellin

Postby Joscellin » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:38 pm

We have probably 60-80 pages or so a week on the syllabus, but make it through like 10.

Prof reminds me of the dog from Up. He starts off trying to make a point, but is constantly being distracted by SQUIRREL!

IsThisForReal

Postby IsThisForReal » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:42 pm

DJM wrote:
Big Red wrote::shock: @ 150 pages a week

I am also pulling around 100-140 pages per week

This is my con law class. Crim is super confusing because of the prof. I like property

Big Red

Postby Big Red » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:44 pm

now that I think about it I, too, have a super confusing crim prof. I've been putting off actually learning crim since it doesn't have a midterm and therefore does not exist until spring break

I have this idea in my head that I'm going to get a yuuuuuuuge amount of stuff done during spring break

IsThisForReal

Postby IsThisForReal » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:49 pm

Big Red wrote: I'm going to get a yuuuuuuuge amount of stuff done during spring break

sleep

radio1nowhere

Postby radio1nowhere » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:53 pm

IsThisForReal wrote:Regretting my decision to do the moot court competition. Someone bring me sugar? and a pillow?

I assumed that moot court was mandatory at other schools too. Guess not

IsThisForReal

Postby IsThisForReal » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:56 pm

radio1nowhere wrote:
IsThisForReal wrote:Regretting my decision to do the moot court competition. Someone bring me sugar? and a pillow?

I assumed that moot court was mandatory at other schools too. Guess not

nope. we have moot court, mock trial, and mediation competitions. you can do none or all if you want. also have the option of trying out for the teams.

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”