2Little 2Late

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

How successful have you been at forcing yourself to care about grades?

lol
5%
... I mean I still need to graduate... I guess...
26%
I want to maintain some semblance of dignity
45%
I am a clerkship gunner and/or incorrigible perfectionist
24%

Total votes: 38

Gray

Re: Rainbows and Sm1Les: Everything Is Totally Fine

Postby Gray » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:43 pm

xylocarp wrote:
Gray wrote:I don't undestand the poll? Chill as in stress-free or chill as in nice?

B/c that's the diff between coify and discretionary C for me

The fact that you're asking this question makes you a discretionary C+

K voted according to your request

Minnietron

Postby Minnietron » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:57 pm

xylocarp wrote:Just answer the poll however you feel like answering it. Who cares. Be chill.

Gray wrote:
xylocarp wrote:
Gray wrote:I don't undestand the poll? Chill as in stress-free or chill as in nice?

Was that a request or an unchill demand from a Mod?

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:19 pm

Minnietron wrote:
xylocarp wrote:Just answer the poll however you feel like answering it. Who cares. Be chill.

Gray wrote:
xylocarp wrote:

Was that a request or an unchill demand from a Mod?

It was a request on its face but she knew she'd get summarily permaed if she voted otherwise because I am a ruthless tyrant and have a vendetta against gray anyway

Big Red

Postby Big Red » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:38 pm

xylocarp wrote: I am a ruthless tyrant

See, this is what happens when you don't join me in revolt, she's owning it now

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:03 pm

Big Red wrote:

I don't have a vendetta against you. You have nothing to worry about. Everything is totally fine. TOTALLY FINE

Big Red

Postby Big Red » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:18 pm

xylocarp wrote:
Big Red wrote:

I don't have a vendetta against you. You have nothing to worry about. Everything is totally fine. TOTALLY FINE

Uhhh I'm pretty sure this is like an attempt to be passive aggressive - can I get a translation from someone who speaks Xylo or basic tyrant?

buckiguy_sucks

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:36 pm

Wait I thought order of the coif was the least chill of the options because you have to like put in effort and that's the antithesis of chill.

True chilldom is being a discretionary C+ and being super fuckin chill with that

Minnietron

Postby Minnietron » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:36 pm

Big Red wrote:
xylocarp wrote:
Big Red wrote:

Uhhh I'm pretty sure this is like an attempt to be passive aggressive - can I get a translation from someone who speaks Xylo or basic tyrant?

Let's dispel with this fiction that Xylo doesn't know what she's doing. She knows exactly what she's doing.

Kinky John

Postby Kinky John » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:41 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:Who would you pick to re-write the Constitution? Currently living. No # limit.

a bunch of sovereign citizens

http://freedom-school.com/law/court-survival-guide.pdf

Kinky John

Postby Kinky John » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:44 pm

Your Complete Court Survival Kit consists of:

0. THE FLAG - (you provide) A small U.S, Flag on a stand (BUT NO GOLD FRINGE). This is
your basic proof and exercise of your status and rights in court. You would bring it with you and
set it on each table or bench where you stand, whenever you are going to directly challenge
jurisdiction.

Language the framers would be proud of

Hikikomorist

Postby Hikikomorist » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:09 am

PeanutsNJam wrote:Who would you pick to re-write the Constitution? Currently living. No # limit.

There was this guy in college who ate five goldfish for a free shirt. I think he'd produce a fair governing document to last through the ages.

Gray

Postby Gray » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:16 am

xylocarp wrote:It was a request on its face but she knew she'd get summarily permaed if she voted otherwise because I am a ruthless tyrant and have a vendetta against gray anyway

It's true. Only one of us can have the life we both lead. There can only be one true ex-graphic designer mixed race mid atlantic law student with an old dad who got married really young in 2012 about 8 months after meeting their future spouse.

radio1nowhere

Postby radio1nowhere » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:56 am

Minnietron wrote:Let's dispel with this fiction that Xylo doesn't know what she's doing. She knows exactly what she's doing.

Happy Valentine's Day, Minnie

Minnietron

Postby Minnietron » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:03 am

radio1nowhere wrote:
Minnietron wrote:Let's dispel with this fiction that Xylo doesn't know what she's doing. She knows exactly what she's doing.

Happy Valentine's Day, Minnie

He's photogenic, so he's got that going for him.
Hikikomorist wrote:

There was this guy in college who ate five goldfish for a free shirt. I think he'd produce a fair governing document to last through the ages.

I think you're on to something; but, would this lead to goldfish or shirts as a basic human right?

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:50 am

I don't know if this is just a WUSTTTL thing, but do you guys have delusional classmates who think they have a real shot at turning 1 firm Spring OCI screener into an offer? Even people with multiple V20 1L SA offers got rejected from around 50-100 firms. Just lol at 1 screener -> 1 CB -> 1 offer. These people are also invariably cocky af.

Hand

Postby Hand » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:10 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:I don't know if this is just a WUSTTTL thing, but do you guys have delusional classmates who think they have a real shot at turning 1 firm Spring OCI screener into an offer? Even people with multiple V20 1L SA offers got rejected from around 50-100 firms. Just lol at 1 screener -> 1 CB -> 1 offer. These people are also invariably cocky af.

I dunno I don't talk to anyone

zhenders

Postby zhenders » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:27 pm

Cocky, perhaps -- but I mean you make the best out of what you have right? Confidence goes a long way in interviews; if I had 1 CB, I'd be psyching myself up for it and trying to think positively for sure.

BasilHallward

Postby BasilHallward » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:44 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:I don't know if this is just a WUSTTTL thing, but do you guys have delusional classmates who think they have a real shot at turning 1 firm Spring OCI screener into an offer? Even people with multiple V20 1L SA offers got rejected from around 50-100 firms. Just lol at 1 screener -> 1 CB -> 1 offer. These people are also invariably cocky af.

I think as a 1L, unbridled enthusiasm is a plus. If it doesn't work out, then at least you are getting accustomed to rejection. I have 2 Spring OCI screeners on next week for my home market with big firms and I'm pumped as shit. Just swing for the fences, I guess. There is also a higher probability of success with TX firms.

LoganCouture

Postby LoganCouture » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:00 pm

zhenders wrote:Cocky, perhaps -- but I mean you make the best out of what you have right? Confidence goes a long way in interviews; if I had 1 CB, I'd be psyching myself up for it and trying to think positively for sure.

Personally I went into CBs like "this is good practice for future interviews, it's a good opportunity to meet lawyers at firms I'm interested in bidding at OCI and learn more about certain practice areas" and didn't really think they would turn into offers but I'm also pretty cocky bc I am bragging on TLS about it.

Also none of my friends at school were looking for SA positions so I don't know how other people approached it.

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:30 pm

I mean, I know for STL, there are two things that are basically necessary for a 1L SA: Strong ties to STL and diversity. If you are lacking one or the other, stellar grades might make up for the difference. Probably not. After you meet these necessary requirements, then you need to beat out the other diverse people with strong STL ties in the interviews (the STL firms also look closely at your diversity statement/cover letter/whatever documents).

There's optimistic, and there's deluded. I don't think it's cocky for a SLS student to feel confident about landing a 1L SA, especially assuming good grades. If you have strong ties, there's nothing wrong with confidence either. But if you don't have ties, are a white man, and don't have stellar grades or attend HYS, it's just not happening. Not even if you give the best blowjobs in the world.

I also wasn't saying this person was cocky because of their confidence. They are independently cocky. Idk how arrogant people stay that way when the get their grades back but who knows. People still judging others by cold call performance in the Spring is just lol.

buckiguy_sucks

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:32 pm

I haven't talked to a lot of cocky people about 1 screener or whatever but i have talked a lot of people deluded into believing they have a chance at big law SAs in major markets from our TTTT shit hole of a school

(*~bragging time~*) real value of my one whole screener was that it makes the OCI process seem less intimidating, because now I know the interviews are chill and normal interviews not like death gauntlets so you need to be well prepared but not stressed about the actual course of discussion

zhenders

Postby zhenders » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:23 pm

I gotcha. Cockiness in genera sucks -- and I have no clue either how people who clearly didn't put in the work and reaped a bad crop still manage to be the most gunner-ish in class and around the school. The flip side though is, no point getting worked up over it: they're just digging their own deep ones.

DCfilterDC

Postby DCfilterDC » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:38 pm

BasilHallward wrote:

I think as a 1L, unbridled enthusiasm is a plus. If it doesn't work out, then at least you are getting accustomed to rejection. I have 2 Spring OCI screeners on next week for my home market with big firms and I'm pumped as shit. Just swing for the fences, I guess. There is also a higher probability of success with TX firms.

Yeah I think unbridled enthusiasm can seem annoying to people, but on net it's a pretty big plus. At least they're going up to bat with a good attitude, vs. the 80% of students who just think in negatives and that projects more than they realize.

zhenders

Postby zhenders » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:45 pm

DCfilterDC wrote:Yeah I think unbridled enthusiasm can seem annoying to people, but on net it's a pretty big plus. At least they're going up to bat with a good attitude, vs. the 80% of students who just think in negatives and that projects more than they realize.

This, so much.

unsweetened

Postby unsweetened » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:27 pm

Even if you feel like death inside and lost in a desert of hopelessness, you still have to do a shitload of applications, prep for interviews, and appear to be upbeat.
Having looked for a job at the last nasty recession, I filled out 150ish applications and had 5 interviews come out of it. This feels like basically the same thing. 100 applications --> 10 interviews ---> 3 CB's ---> 1 offer is what I've prepared myself for... obviously there can be a lot of variation depending on school/grades/regional ties.

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”