2Little 2Late

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

How successful have you been at forcing yourself to care about grades?

lol
13%
... I mean I still need to graduate... I guess...
26%
I want to maintain some semblance of dignity
41%
I am a clerkship gunner and/or incorrigible perfectionist
20%

Total votes: 46

Minnietron

Re: The 1Lephant in the Room: Are You Dropping Out

Postby Minnietron » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:32 pm

andthenIwaslike wrote:Conlaw supplement recs?

Chemerinsky, Chemerinsky, and Chemerinsky. I've sought out advice far and wide for supplements providing - worthwhile - discrete problems, but the common theme - on TLS and IRL - is that one does not exist.

Indifference

Postby Indifference » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:27 pm

Last edited by Indifference on Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

radio1nowhere

Postby radio1nowhere » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:35 pm

mujiali wrote:
Minnietron wrote:

Chemerinsky, Chemerinsky, and Chemerinsky. I've sought out advice far and wide for supplements providing - worthwhile - discrete problems, but the common theme - on TLS and IRL - is that one does not exist.

Glannon?

Not a fannon

Indifference

Postby Indifference » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:46 pm

Last edited by Indifference on Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hikikomorist

Postby Hikikomorist » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:43 am

Whenever you see Facebook pictures posted by the people in your classes where they're smiling and having fun, do you assume they all have 1L SAs lined up? I've started doing that, because how could people be happy with no idea how they'll escape law school-induced poverty?

[s][/s]

Postby 03282016 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:04 am

Last edited by 03282016 on Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

buckiguy_sucks

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:40 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:Whenever you see Facebook pictures posted by the people in your classes where they're smiling and having fun, do you assume they all have 1L SAs lined up? I've started doing that, because how could people be happy with no idea how they'll escape law school-induced poverty?

do you base your entire emotional state on your net worth

eta: i'm going to accept an unpaid gov offer next week and i am not in crippling depression so

LoganCouture

Postby LoganCouture » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:45 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:Whenever you see Facebook pictures posted by the people in your classes where they're smiling and having fun, do you assume they all have 1L SAs lined up? I've started doing that, because how could people be happy with no idea how they'll escape law school-induced poverty?

Idk most ppl I know at my school are doing unpaid stuff this summer and they are still happy. But I do think being done w the job search is a big relief for most ppl, regardless of what position they've accepted.

The thing I'm kinda stressed about is how behind I am in reading/general class preparedness.

Hikikomorist

Postby Hikikomorist » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:57 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:

eta: i'm going to accept an unpaid gov offer next week and i am not in crippling depression so

I base almost my entire emotional state on my current and projected future physical comfort, which is very dependent on my net worth, so yeah. I also get that there are exceptions who have plans to avoid poverty unconnected to 1L SAs, so I didn't mean that part too literally.

xael

Postby xael » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:52 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:
buckiguy_sucks wrote:

I base almost my entire emotional state on my current and projected future physical comfort, which is very dependent on my net worth, so yeah. I also get that there are exceptions who have plans to avoid poverty unconnected to 1L SAs, so I didn't mean that part too literally.

Hikko you do understand that the vast majority of the world does not entertain your depressing worldview right?

DCfilterDC

Postby DCfilterDC » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:56 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:
buckiguy_sucks wrote:

Have you tried finding comfort in things other than your bank balance?

LoganCouture

Postby LoganCouture » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:03 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:
buckiguy_sucks wrote:

I get this though. Grew up financially insecure so I really really want to avoid that and i think I care/think about $ way more than people i know who never had to worry about it. Thing is that 1L SAs are super rare so I don't think it's time to worry quite yet.

[s][/s]

Postby 03282016 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:07 pm

Last edited by 03282016 on Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

unsweetened

Postby unsweetened » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:09 pm

Minnietron wrote:

My Con Law Prof. suggested Chemerinsky and told me that the textbook she wrote for the course was based on it. :o If you are looking for a supp, ask your prof. Only one prof. said no supps were recommended.

LoganCouture

Postby LoganCouture » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:13 pm

Wahrheit wrote:
lc39 wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
buckiguy_sucks wrote:

I get this though. Grew up financially insecure so I really really want to avoid that and i think I care/think about $ way more than people i know who never had to worry about it. Thing is that 1L SAs are super rare so I don't think it's time to worry quite yet.

I am in a very similar boat, but it's still totally not stressing yourself out like that over. Even if financial solvency is a big deal, it's not a big enough deal to let it affect your self-worth, sanity, etc.

Plus you need to maintain your chill for interviews anyway.

We'll all make it work. We have so far.

Yeah I try not to stress to that extent I just think it's a perspective that I'll always carry w me. Tbh I'm too busy right now to worry about much more than what's immediately in front of me (right now this damn brief).

Thanks wahr. We got this.

Hikikomorist

Postby Hikikomorist » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:19 pm

Wahrheit wrote:
lc39 wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
buckiguy_sucks wrote:

I am in a very similar boat, but it's still totally not stressing yourself out like that over. Even if financial solvency is a big deal, it's not a big enough deal to let it affect your self-worth, sanity, etc.

Plus you need to maintain your chill for interviews anyway.

We'll all make it work. We have so far.

Come on.

buckiguy_sucks

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:25 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:Come on.

EILEEN!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc-P8oDuS0Q

[s][/s]

Postby 03282016 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:25 pm

Hikikomorist

Postby Hikikomorist » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:28 pm

Wahrheit wrote:Come on what? Maintain your chill.

If financial solvency is a big deal?

[s][/s]

Postby 03282016 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:28 pm

Hikikomorist

Postby Hikikomorist » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:33 pm

Wahrheit wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:

I don't understand. Use your words.

Financial solvency is a very big deal to almost everyone, and suggesting that it might not be seemed absurd to me.

[s][/s]

Postby 03282016 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:36 pm

radio1nowhere

Postby radio1nowhere » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:38 pm

Pls tag serious posts with [serious] so I know whether to laugh or not

hairbear7

Postby hairbear7 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:39 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:
Wahrheit wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:

Financial solvency is a very big deal to almost everyone, and suggesting that it might not be seemed absurd to me.

I'm confused exactly what you are complaining about. Did you not realize how expensive law school was, and how it would affect your net worth, prior to enrolling? A paid 1L gig is definitely super awesome, but even a 1L SA position, being 8 weeks long, will only begin to scratch most people's debt. Go ahead and strive for it but don't be stressed out if you have to work on a stipend this summer like most other people.

Hikikomorist

Postby Hikikomorist » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:46 pm

hairbear7 wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
Wahrheit wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:

I'm confused exactly what you are complaining about. Did you not realize how expensive law school was, and how it would affect your net worth, prior to enrolling? A paid 1L gig is definitely super awesome, but even a 1L SA position, being 8 weeks long, will only begin to scratch most people's debt. Go ahead and strive for it but don't be stressed out if you have to work on a stipend this summer like most other people.

I'm not surprised/I knew this part of the experience would suck, but that doesn't make the actual suckage any better

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”