2Little 2Late

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

How much are you regretting your extracurricular choices?

Not at all, I can manage my time.
3%
I get busy sometimes, but it's not the worst.
16%
Every couple of weeks I briefly lose my sanity.
26%
I long for the sweet release of death.
31%
I am smart and didn't sign up for unnecessary BS
23%

Total votes: 86

czpczp

Re: The 1Lephant in the Room: Are You Dropping Out

Postby czpczp » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:40 pm

Kinky John wrote:I don't know what you're talking about, everyone I've spoken to did much worse than me (4.66 GPA at one of HYSCCCNNPDVBM)

Your 1000 post is 180. lol gulc

miss_scalia

Postby miss_scalia » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:43 pm

Minnietron wrote:
Kinky John wrote:I don't know what you're talking about, everyone I've spoken to did much worse than me (4.66 GPA at one of HYSCCCNNPDVBM)

You're doing it wrong, and so are MS's classmates. Gotta follow the Sun, Son.

"If your enemy is secure at all points, be prepared for him. If he is in superior strength, evade him. If your opponent is temperamental, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant. If he is taking his ease, give him no rest. If his forces are united, separate them. If sovereign and subject are in accord, put division between them. Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected."

"All warfare is based on deception. Therefore, when capable, feign incapacity; when active, inactivity. When near, make it appear that you are far away; when far away, that you are near. "

ETA: That's why I tell people I have a 1.8; I don't want to scare them with my 2.6 :lol:

I wish more people where like you. I am starting to feel SO unmotivated about law school if all my efforts were far less warranted than alot of my friends who generally didn't put as much work in.

Which I know law school is more than "working hard", but still. Its a little blow to the ego.

zhenders

Postby zhenders » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:13 am

Remember too that people lie about their study habits too -- probably more than grades. The possible return is higher: to convince someone that studying is unnecessary is to possibly convince your competition not to study.

In my estimation this is REALLY where people are least honest. This is esp. True with supplements studying: everyone wants to believe they're the only one clever enough to have discovered the "golden supplements"; to admit to studying is to be asked how one studies.

Joscellin

Postby Joscellin » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:45 am

zhenders wrote:Remember too that people lie about their study habits too -- probably more than grades. The possible return is higher: to convince someone that studying is unnecessary is to possibly convince your competition not to study.

In my estimation this is REALLY where people are least honest. This is esp. True with supplements studying: everyone wants to believe they're the only one clever enough to have discovered the "golden supplements"; to admit to studying is to be asked how one studies.

While I believe that some people lie about both, I don't believe this idea that they lie more about studying.

To believe so, you have to attribute more of an intent to deceive (and thus your "benefit" of others studying less). I find it much more likely that people lie about grades simply to keep up appearances and maintain pride. Are there some that are cutthroat enough to plan out their intentions as you describe? Sure. I refuse to believe that it's the majority of us, though.

zhenders

Postby zhenders » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:26 am

Fair enough. And I certainly believe it's a minority in either case -- I just think one is more common than the other.

Minnietron

Postby Minnietron » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:04 am

Joscellin wrote:
zhenders wrote:Remember too that people lie about their study habits too -- probably more than grades. The possible return is higher: to convince someone that studying is unnecessary is to possibly convince your competition not to study.

While I believe that some people lie about both, I don't believe this idea that they lie more about studying.

To believe so, you have to attribute more of an intent to deceive (and thus your "benefit" of others studying less). I find it much more likely that people lie about grades simply to keep up appearances and maintain pride. Are there some that are cutthroat enough to plan out their intentions as you describe? Sure. I refuse to believe that it's the majority of us, though.

Well played. Drive suspicion away from you. Sun would approve.

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:42 am

Joscellin is employing a contrary strategy. His grades are actually below median, but he tells everybody he has a 5.0 in order to instill trepidation.

Hand

Postby Hand » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:30 am

xael wrote:
Hand wrote:
buckiguy_sucks wrote:New poll should be hostile and competitive

Maybe something like "how prestigious is the summer job you already have lined up?"

One option could be "i don't have a summer job yet because i'm a failure as a person"

This, clearly. We should also change the thread title to one of xael's suggestions. The rating of your summer jobs level of prestige should be related to your lsat score, so hikko can be happy too

The thread title is one of my suggestions!!!

Yeah but we have moved on to a new stage, people have either dropped out or will hang in there till the end of 1L, so we need something more seasonally appropriate.

Hand

Postby Hand » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:31 am

PeanutsNJam wrote:Joscellin is employing a contrary strategy. His grades are actually below median, but he tells everybody he has a 5.0 in order to instill trepidation.

My 6.66 GPA at the T14 power-bottom brings all your boys to the yard

landshoes
is that cool?

Postby landshoes » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:43 pm

I've had people accuse me of lying about (not) studying, which is flattering and insulting at the same time.

I think the most likely explanation for people saying they don't study, or don't study "much" is that people at my particular school are neurotic and driven, and don't consider themselves to be doing much because they're holding themselves to insane standards.

[s][/s]

Postby 03282016 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:16 pm

Last edited by 03282016 on Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Minnietron

Postby Minnietron » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:36 pm

Hand wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:Joscellin is employing a contrary strategy. His grades are actually below median, but he tells everybody he has a 5.0 in order to instill trepidation.

My 6.66 GPA at the T14 power-bottom brings all your boys to the yard

Couldn't pull a flat 7.0? Hopefully your mom likes all the boys in the yard, because she is not impressed with your lackluster gpa.

LetsGoMets

Postby LetsGoMets » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:45 pm

I still haven't had one conversation about grades, except in very, very general terms. I did have to yell at one of my 3L mentors for loudly congratulating me on my grade in one class in the lobby of the law school. Definitely have this sense that the 1Ls, at least in my section, have a silent agreement to just never talk about them, and I'm fine with that.

IsThisForReal

Postby IsThisForReal » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:03 pm

People at my school don't talk about them

leslieknope

Postby leslieknope » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:13 pm

I talked to a few close friends about grades, just because we were all together when they came out, but I haven't talked to anyone else about them. People definitely talk, though- some people flat out asked what grades people got, etc. There's a lot of gossip too.

Indifference

Postby Indifference » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:27 pm

Last edited by Indifference on Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LetsGoMets

Postby LetsGoMets » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:30 pm

leslieknope wrote:I talked to a few close friends about grades, just because we were all together when they came out, but I haven't talked to anyone else about them. People definitely talk, though- some people flat out asked what grades people got, etc. There's a lot of gossip too.

Maybe it's school to school, or I'm just anti-social (actually that's kind of a given). To me, people straight up asking how you did in a class is kind of a dick move though.

radio1nowhere

Postby radio1nowhere » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:37 pm

I mention the mediocre quality of my grades occasionally (and usually jokingly). Prob would feel awkward saying anything if I got really good or really bad grades tho

landshoes
is that cool?

Postby landshoes » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:41 pm

Nobody I know has said anything too publicly or been too specific about their grades. I spoke with a few people who were upset about them, which I think is a basic friend thing to do. They initiated the convo, though. I'd never ask anyone what their grade was in a specific class...!

Gray

Postby Gray » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:48 pm

I saw one of my non-tls friends lurking tls today. STOP LURKING START POSTING THIS IS A CALL OUT.

Minnietron

Postby Minnietron » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:50 pm

landshoes wrote:Nobody I know has said anything too publicly or been too specific about their grades. I spoke with a few people who were upset about them, which I think is a basic friend thing to do. They initiated the convo, though. I'd never ask anyone what their grade was in a specific class...!

What did you get in Torts?

landshoes
is that cool?

Postby landshoes » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:15 pm

Minnietron wrote:
landshoes wrote:Nobody I know has said anything too publicly or been too specific about their grades. I spoke with a few people who were upset about them, which I think is a basic friend thing to do. They initiated the convo, though. I'd never ask anyone what their grade was in a specific class...!

Trick question, we haven't gotten a torts grade yet! Not like you'd understand our grades anyway :P

Minnietron

Postby Minnietron » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:24 pm

landshoes wrote:
Minnietron wrote:

Trick question, we haven't gotten a torts grade yet! Not like you'd understand our grades anyway :P

What's the appropriate response? Egregious GULC trolling? I would try to to stick up for myself, but I know I wouldn't understand your response.

Gray

Postby Gray » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:42 pm

landshoes wrote:Trick question, we haven't gotten a torts grade yet! Not like you'd understand our grades anyway :P

your grades aren't that weird there's just more specificity within the ranges.

Big Red

Postby Big Red » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:46 pm

is it SOP for 2Ls to say they hate 1Ls, bc ARE 2ls say they hate all the 1Ls and like not just a few of them :lol:

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”